Marvel's Spider-Man 2 - Far From Home (2019)

Reaction score
I just was sitting there one day, Mysterio clearly my favorite Marvel supervillain, and I thought to myself...usually (these days) they used a subsidiary villain that sort of is a lacky for the main. They now do know how to write more than one antagonist proper. I remember they used to be a day when if a supervillain team up occurred in a movie...oh boy, oh boy were things about to get awful. But I trust the MCU, so I was dwelling on who would work well with Mysterio? Scorpion? Even though sort of set up in Homecoming....nah. Kraven? Not really. Sure they were in the sinister six together, but it always seemed like (plot armor...hey it IS comics) they were a team that always attacked separately. But Mysterio is (at his core) a con-artist...deception. And so is the Chameleon! They just mesh really well and I could see Mysterio having a purpose for someone with the Chameleon's talents. But then it really hit me in this last trailer....Nick Fury is smarter than this. Sure he could be working with Mysterio because he's on to him, but what would be an even bigger twist? Nick Fury is the Chameleon, Mysterio and he using his identify to gain Spider-Man's trust. Because, okay, since when does Nick Fury have trouble getting a hold of someone? Yet he clearly says that. Isn't that Nick's thing, super spy, no one can hold a secret from him? No one can hide from him! And I can't help but think Nick shooting a kid, even if it's a tranquilizer, feels....off. A bit harsh.

I don't know, may be entirely wrong....but that would be an awesome twist. But I'm like sure of it now, that these elemental characters (the ones that are modeled after Hydroman, Moltenman, and Sandman) are toooooooootally Mysterio illusions/tech/robots/tricks. I'm calling it, this is not the movie sinister six. They're not real. That would so add up to Mysterio's MO.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just was sitting there one day, Mysterio clearly my favorite Marvel supervillain, and I thought to myself...usually (these days) they used a subsidiary villain that sort of is a lacky for the main. They now do know how to write more than one antagonist proper. I remember they used to be a day when if a supervillain team up occurred in a movie...oh boy, oh boy were things about to get awful. But I trust the MCU, so I was dwelling on who would work well with Mysterio? Scorpion? Even though sort of set up in Homecoming....nah. Kraven? Not really. Sure they were in the sinister six together, but it always seemed like (plot armor...hey it IS comics) they were a team that always attacked separately. But Mysterio is (at his core) a con-artist...deception. And so is the Chameleon! They just mesh really well and I could see Mysterio having a purpose for someone with the Chameleon's talents. But then it really hit me in this last trailer....Nick Fury is smarter than this. Sure he could be working with Mysterio because he's on to him, but what would be an even bigger twist? Nick Fury is the Chameleon, Mysterio and he using his identify to gain Spider-Man's trust. Because, okay, since when does Nick Fury have trouble getting a hold of someone? Yet he clearly says that. Isn't that Nick's thing, super spy, no one can hold a secret from him? No one can hide from him! And I can't help but think Nick shooting a kid, even if it's a tranquilizer, feels....off. A bit harsh.

I don't know, may be entirely wrong....but that would be an awesome twist. But I'm like sure of it now, that these elemental characters (the ones that are modeled after Hydroman, Moltenman, and Sandman) are toooooooootally Mysterio illusions/tech/robots/tricks. I'm calling it, this is not the movie sinister six. They're not real. That would so add up to Mysterio's MO.
I think it might actually be more of a surprise if it turns out Mysterio IS being truthful about "his Earth" and these monsters. I really want to support Multiverse, so I'm hoping that is a real thing. I think you are spot on.

Reaction score

I'm still going with my theory from earlier in this thread ( ;) ) that this could be a version of the Sinister Six, since there are 4 Elementals plus Mysterio and possibly Chameleon. The BAF from Hasbro lends credence to at least Molten Man having a more normal "human" starting point, just adding mass from his surroundings to become huge.

Reaction score
Saw a few more clips, I now think...yeah...there is a multiverse now because Mysterio drops "This is Earth 616," they wouldn't drop that line if it didn't exist. However, this does not mean Mysterio is telling the truth about being from a different multiverse Earth. I think he became aware of the multiverse and simply used THAT to gain a level of exposure in order to gain...well...more exposure.

Reaction score
Well we all know his background, so we can't really take anything we see him do or say at face value.

Reaction score
In the free Previews thing at comic shops for Marvel's Spidey comics this week, they have an ad that says "Prepare for the blockbuster film with these collections!". And what is listed is Spider-Man vs. Mysterio TPB & Spider-Man: Sinister Six TPB. Hurm....

Reaction score
SPOILERS:

Well...I pretty much nailed it save for one detail and something pretty much impossible to predict. No multiverse...and stays very true to the character of Mysterio. It's reached a point for MCU films where, honestly, I've read so many Marvel comics over the years...I can predict so much. Now I'm not saying that means they're not enjoyable for me, they're very enjoyable. So Mysterio is a con-artist basically and the elemental characters indeed are just illusions. I honestly, all due respect to those who did think there was a real multiverse and that the elemental monsters were real and/or the beginnings of the sinister six, don't really know why anyone actually thought these two things. Going by source material, there really wasn't a question in my mind. Now I do miss that Mysterio is a failed special effects guy, but tying him to Stark I think works fine. Now I did miss my Chameleon prediction...sort of. I pretty much called it that that's NOT Nick Fury, but it wasn't Chameleon either. He's a skrull! Now I still think, in a way, Chameleon might still be in there considering Mysterio was employing a BUNCH of, basically, former disgruntled Stark employees as now actors. I still think one of them could be Chameleon and it will be revealed later. But I mean...though I would have preferred Chameleon as, well, he's a SPIDER-MAN character...I GUESS they want to put in deeper connections to the MCU as a whole. But effectively, though he's a skrull, I called the story beat...just wrong character. Plus in a lot of ways, really, a skrull basically IS a stand-in for Chameleon. They fulfill the same narrative purpose. But what I ABSOLUTELY DID NOT EXPECT....was J. Jonah coming back. But even MORE shocking is the fact that J.K. Simmons is PLAYING HIM AGAIN! I remember when that was a meme, he was so good just recast him. AND THEN IT HAPPENED!!! The lack of the Daily Bugle for HOW many films now is something that has sincerely bothered me, it's a major part of Spider-Man lore that's been downright ignored and forgotten for some time. So needless to say, I'm beyond happy to see it back, even if it's never used again, I just like that it was acknowledged. Now lastly, Mysterio's "death," this is a dude who is an INFAMOUS liar and (essentially) know for theatrically FAKING things. I'm calling it right now, there's NO WAY he's actually dead. He so faked it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
There is actually a way to hide your spoilers on this site. Just saying. That said FFH was awesome. Played out how I kinda thought it would but it was enjoyable to watch. The end credit scenes were good. Where the MCU goes from here is anyone’s guess. Phase 4 will a different and interesting mix.

Reaction score
Just got back from seeing this, so good but oh an those end credits- whoa!

Reaction score
I think FFH is a great movie. It's my new favorite Spider-Man movie, and one of my favorite movies of the MCU. I enjoyed it more than Endgame. It has a great story, fun action, and the funniest humor of any Marvel movie. I laughed more than I have ever laughed before during a Marvel movie. Knowing Mysterio, I knew things wouldn't be as they seemed.

The mid-credit scene is my favorite end credit scene ever. I have been hoping and waiting for that man to appear in the MCU for a long time. It's a dream come true. He is so perfect in that role. I had a hard time imagining anyone else could step into that role and be as good as he is.

Reaction score
Loved it, epic Marvel & epic funny. Glad to see his classmates get expanded roles. I’m so ready to see Tom Holland face The Sinister Six!. Was hoping for a Vulture cameo.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
The mid-credit scene is my favorite end credit scene ever. I have been hoping and waiting for that man to appear in the MCU for a long time. It's a dream come true. He is so perfect in that role. I had a hard time imagining anyone else could step into that role and be as good as he is.
An absolute shock and so wonderful a scene! The guy next to me literally screamed "oh my God!!" at the top of his lungs!

Reaction score
I just got home and it wasn't bad. I know Mysterio is all about illusions, but I was hoping he was an actual physical being. He looked so cool zipping around in his suit and blasting that green smoke around. Not sure how I feel about him just being a guy with hundreds of state of the art projectors mounted on drones, but still found him very entertaining and at the end of the day that is Mysterio's game, illusions. I hope Iron Studios gives us some kind of cool 1/10 Mysterio statue.

But that mid credits scene- so awesome! Absolute home run! Everyone in the theater let out a collective gasp. :grin:

Reaction score
That mid credits scene was probably the best one they've ever done. First there's the thing, then there's a thing that itself could be a pretty nice cliffhanger, but then the third thing drops an even bigger cliffhanger.

Reaction score
re: mid credits scene

Spoiler:  
so I guess peter is on the run now. seems like, he's going to be hunted in the next movie. most likely by, oh, I dunno. some sort of a Hunter. (?)

(seems like an obvious direction for the next villain, given the content of the scene we saw -- were they setting up Kraven next?)

Last edited:
Reaction score
re: mid credits scene

Spoiler:  
so I guess peter is on the run now. seems like, he's going to be hunted in the next movie. most likely by, oh, I dunno. some sort of a Hunter. (?)

(seems like an obvious direction for the next villain, given the content of the scene we saw -- were they setting up Kraven next?)

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THOUGHT THE SAME THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
I'm sure everyone caught a glimpse of the Tie Bomber toy on Peter Parker's shelf in his room. Thought that was kind of neat. There's even a mention in the credits about the Star Wars merchandise.

Reaction score
Loved it! Mid and after credit scenes were awesome!

Reaction score
Saw it last night & laughed throughout the whole movie. IMO, Ned has surpassed Luis and Happy as the funniest non-hero sidekick character in the MCU.

Without spoiling anything, during the final post-credits scene, when we first saw where a certain character (the real one) was supposedly staying, did anyone else think for a moment that we were about to have a direct connection to Agents of SHIELD & a certain other character who was last seen in a very similar place? I have to admit, I was disappointed when it was revealed that that wasn't the case.

Last edited:
Reaction score
So I have to say, oh my God, I could NOT be happier with how they did Mysterio. Granted I am bias, he's been my favorite Marvel villain since I was a child, but I sincerely think he's now one of the best MCU foes. I never quite understood why Kilmonger gets ranked as highly as he does. Everyone always complained about how most the villains were just mirror parallels of their protagonist: Iron Monger is evil Iron Man, Abomination is evil Hulk, Yellowjacket is evil Antman, etc. That's ultimately all Kimonger is. He's just evil Black Panther. Heck his outfit isn't even unique, it's almost identically T'challa's. Highly overrated. But I am please to see Mysterio is already being put among the top tier MCU villains. He's just so unique, not just among Spider-Man films, not just among MCU films, but among superhero films in general. Has anything like him really ever been attempted before on film? But now I am a but more understanding of why it took him so long to be used in a film. Was it even possible to do him justice when real-world special effects couldn't really render that his shtick essentially is "super" special effects.

Some spoiler talk (highlight to see):

So I think a lot of people though I'd have some issues with some of the alterations to the character...but I didn't. It made sense! I was fine with him having what's basically a film crew and it all being tied to Stark. Granted I am kind of tired of EVERYTHING being tied to Tony, but I've become so accustom to it that I'm desensitized. I would have taken major issue if Beck just stole the Stark tech. but it's established that he created the illusion technology. His brilliance is retained and I enjoyed the interconnection use of the BARF system from Civil War. He's basically an extremely mentally unstable film director. He has contingency upon contingency upon contingency. I very much so enjoyed the "director" scene, where he mentions Nick Fury would put a bullet in his head. You establish a writer, an editor, a costume designer, and he is director, actor, and special effects master. Like in the comics, though this version is tied to Iron Man, he's still a bitter ex-employee who feels he didn't get the credit he deserved. It's pretty darn authentic to the character, just done in a slightly more realistic way. That's why it doesn't really bother me that there's no "real" suit. Well...there is, but it's quite literally a costume and not something with tech and enhanced strength. I can live with that. Not to mention, he does occasionally have an actual fishbowl. Jake was perfect casting and I can absolutely see why he was attracted to the character. The character is very meta, particularly to someone who's spent most their life in the film industry.

But then there's THE scene! I'm kind of shocked no one has brought it up. Move over Dr. Strange, there's a new acid trip scene in town! Holy CRAP was that EPIC! It was SUCH classic Mysterio, a complete mind-****! There were also so many nods to some of his iconic appearances. Honestly I probably didn't even catch them all. The giant Mysterio hand is a call back to ASM #67 where Beck convinced Peter that he'd been shrunk to Antman size. Mysterio oftentimes would remove his helmet to reveal no head underneath like on the cover of ASM #142. That's accounted for! Another trick he often employed was the use of multiple versions of himself or Spider-Man. It's in there! Now I know that apparently "controversial scene everyone will hate" that Tom Holland warned of has to be referencing the undead Tony Stark, but I think when you see it in context it's fantastic. Mysterio is easily one of the most terrifying villains we've seen yet. It's almost a literal horror sequence. Then there's the multiple fake-out endings, it appears to be over like twice. Nope! Gotcha!

I will be honest in saying I wasn't as crazy about the first half with the elementals, but once you see what it really is (which I assumed that's what it was anyway, but wanted to see how it would be done) it makes you appreciate them more. It also makes the inevitable betrayal of Beck have more gravitas. Of course this is inspired by ASM #13, where he pretends to be a hero whilst also framing Spider-Man...something he does in the mid-credits scene by falsely ousting him as the one who committed the crimes. Of course the elementals are sort of stand-in MCU equivalent Easter eggs for Sandman, Hydroman, and Molten Man. He's def. done gigantically bombastic illusion ploys like that before. Then I loved that he broke the fishbowl at the end, the traditional way he's always defeated. But not for a second do I believe he's actually dead. Lying is his thing! Also I loved just how absolutely INSANE he was and how Spider-Man realized he needs to rely upon his spider-sense to defeat this guy.

Just a fantastic flick all around. Mysterio def. takes the cake for me as THE best Spider-Man villain on screen now.

Last edited:

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Without spoiling anything, during the final post-credits scene, when we first saw where a certain character (the real one) was supposedly staying
  Spoiler:  
My first thought was a base for SWORD

Reaction score
  Spoiler:  
My first thought was a base for SWORD
  Spoiler:  
Been wondering since GOTG when this was coming, had to happen at some point with all the Space interactions lately.

However, i'm not exactly sure what to think/feel about the end credit scene. And what it really means about Perter's interactions with Fury and Hill. There seemed to be too much fake going on wherever you turn. Though in retrospect, Fury was kind of acting very different than his normal self, so I guess that was a subtle hint in itself.

As for Mysterio, pretty much how I expected it to go for him. So I was happy with the outcome, mostly. Still not fully certain about Jake as the character. But they stayed true to the character for the most part , and he seemed to have a bit more depth than most Movie of the week Villains in the MCU. Was also kind of hoping for Chameleon to be in it as well.

Overall decent flick.

Reaction score
  Spoiler:  
Been wondering since GOTG when this was coming, had to happen at some point with all the Space interactions lately.

However, i'm not exactly sure what to think/feel about the end credit scene. And what it really means about Perter's interactions with Fury and Hill. There seemed to be too much fake going on wherever you turn. Though in retrospect, Fury was kind of acting very different than his normal self, so I guess that was a subtle hint in itself.
  Spoiler:  
I knew something was up in their first scene, she calls him "Nicolas" -- that was a minor plot point in the Captain Marvel movie -- nobody calls him "Nicolas", even his mom calls him "Fury"

so when Hill casually called him "Nicolas" I did a double-take right there in the theater -- I knew something was up -- so it actually made sense, at the end, when we learned it wasn't Fury after all.

Reaction score
This is the first time I can think of where the end-credit scenes were integral to the story, especially the last one. The one HUGE plot hole going through my head the entire movie is explained in that last scene. It was pretty awesome.

Reaction score
I've seen it four times now, yes I'm obsessing...I know...but it's my favorite Marvel character. But 1. I don't think my Chameleon theory is entire wrong anymore. It is wrong on him being Nick Fury but I don't think it's wrong on him being in this film. I have a bonkers theory that....actually adds up. But give me time to gather all my info first. May need to see it a fifth time until it leaks online and I can analyze in true depth. But the thing that IS bothering me is...well it's not a spoiler because it's not relevant to the movie plot. It is, however, a potential sequel element. Did anyone else notice the super kind of awkward scene with Flash at the end in the airport when no one seemed to really laugh in the audience and it didn't really even seem played as a joke? The one about how his mother wasn't present to pick him up? Well...did anyone notice, I did upon second viewing, that when Peter puts on the EDITH glasses for the first time to stop what's his name from texting the photo to MJ, some other texts from people on the bus came up. Well...I looked specifically for Flash. Flash's text was (not verbatim but VERY akin) "Hey mom, where are you? I haven't heard from you or dad in days!" ....

THAT IS A SET UP FOR SOMETHING! THAT HAS A LARGER MEANING....Because if it didn't, that end scene with Flash and his mother NOT picking him up at the airport wouldn't be there!

Reaction score
I think an important "off-screen" take-away from the post-credits-scene would have to be the simple fact that....

Spoiler:  
....J.K.Simmons is still playing J.J.J. -- this means they can bring back OTHER actors from the fox/sony films -- including but not limited to: Patrick Stewart / James McAvoy; Sophie Turner; Josh Brolin as Cable; Ryan Reynolds' Deadpool; and yes, (given a HUGE dumptruck-full-of-money delivered straight to his doorstep), maybe even Hugh Jackman. it could happen. all bets are off.

this simple cameo reveals that Marvel Studios intends to "cherry-pick", pretty much anything they want, from the old fox/sony films -- they are NOT going to throw it all out, and simply start over with an entirely new cast for all of these characters (as many of us expected them to do) --> after seeing J.K-Simmons as "Info-Wars-JJ.Jameson" , this cameo had me suddenly wondering , who ELSE will they retain from the old movies, (and/or the "fox universe")?

I'm hoping Josh Brolin and Ryan Reynolds will segue directly into the MCU? maybe even Tom Hardy as Venom? (as long as Mystique stays dead then I'm good with whomever they choose)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've seen it four times now, yes I'm obsessing...I know...but it's my favorite Marvel character. But 1. I don't think my Chameleon theory is entire wrong anymore. It is wrong on him being Nick Fury but I don't think it's wrong on him being in this film. I have a bonkers theory that....actually adds up. But give me time to gather all my info first. May need to see it a fifth time until it leaks online and I can analyze in true depth. But the thing that IS bothering me is...well it's not a spoiler because it's not relevant to the movie plot. It is, however, a potential sequel element. Did anyone else notice the super kind of awkward scene with Flash at the end in the airport when no one seemed to really laugh in the audience and it didn't really even seem played as a joke? The one about how his mother wasn't present to pick him up? Well...did anyone notice, I did upon second viewing, that when Peter puts on the EDITH glasses for the first time to stop what's his name from texting the photo to MJ, some other texts from people on the bus came up. Well...I looked specifically for Flash. Flash's text was (not verbatim but VERY akin) "Hey mom, where are you? I haven't heard from you or dad in days!" ....

THAT IS A SET UP FOR SOMETHING! THAT HAS A LARGER MEANING....Because if it didn't, that end scene with Flash and his mother NOT picking him up at the airport wouldn't be there!
most likely...? a deleted subplot involving Flash which didn't make the final cut. time will tell.

Reaction score
I think an important "off-screen" take-away from the post-credits-scene would have to be the simple fact that....

Spoiler:  
....J.K.Simmons is still playing J.J.J. -- this means they can bring back OTHER actors from the fox/sony films -- including but not limited to: Patrick Stewart / James McAvoy; Sophie Turner; Josh Brolin as Cable; Ryan Reynolds' Deadpool; and yes, (given a HUGE dumptruck-full-of-money delivered straight to his doorstep), maybe even Hugh Jackman. it could happen. all bets are off.
Him returning in that role was probably on of the best things that happened. IMO I got more of a "neat feeling/goosebumps" at seeing him, over a lot of other stuff that happened. That was an Awesomely cool moment. And if you're right about his return meaning open doors for others, very cool! Although I really doubt that we'll see Jackman come back, and he's my most wanted to return.

I don't really need Deadpool to come aboard the Disney train, I'd like that one to stay what it is.

Spoiler:  
Speaking of fake Fury and Hill, I now wonder if their whole team were also Skrulls? Never really saw a Shield presence.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm sure everyone caught a glimpse of the Tie Bomber toy on Peter Parker's shelf in his room. Thought that was kind of neat. There's even a mention in the credits about the Star Wars merchandise.
I think it was Vader’s TIE
I was wondering if anyone was going to mention this. B) My guess is that it was the TIE Bomber as well. The color seemed wrong for Vader's TIE Fighter; but I haven't owned one of those since the 1990s, so I might be wrong.

Overall, a good movie and I liked it. With as many liberties as they have taken with this version of Spider-Man, Tom Holland sure is energetic and fun to watch. However, he seems to be missing his primary motivation for being Spider-Man in the first place. After appearances in five movies, I don't recall any significant mention of his Uncle Ben or "with great power comes great responsibility." Just being Tony Stark's protege doesn't seem to be an adequate replacement for what has made the character great for nearly 60 years now.

I feel that they did a decent job of getting Peter out from under Tony Stark's shadow in this film, hopefully they will continue to allow the character to come into his own in the next film. Having a much darker "Kraven's Last Hunt" storyline would be an excellent way to do that.

Reaction score
I believe the director addressed this by saying that he went with that casting because there was simply nobody else better. I don't think it has any relation to any other film in any way. I agree with the choice and was more excited about that than any other aspect of the movie.

Reaction score

I noticed the Flash Thompson scenes when I watched it and I realized that they had the perfect opportunity to recast any of the characters because of the "Blip" (or Thanos Snap), but they chose to keep Flash, MJ, Ganke, and Aunt May pretty close to how they appeared in Homecoming. This makes me think that they do have big plans for these characters in the future. Sure, it seems a bit convenient that almost the entire cast of Homecoming got Thanos-snapped away so that they could all return the same age in FFH; but it is possible if Thanos' culling of the universe was truly random.

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone was going to mention this. B) My guess is that it was the TIE Bomber as well. The color seemed wrong for Vader's TIE Fighter; but I haven't owned one of those since the 1990s, so I might be wrong.

Overall, a good movie and I liked it. With as many liberties as they have taken with this version of Spider-Man, Tom Holland sure is energetic and fun to watch. However, he seems to be missing his primary motivation for being Spider-Man in the first place. After appearances in five movies, I don't recall any significant mention of his Uncle Ben or "with great power comes great responsibility." Just being Tony Stark's protege doesn't seem to be an adequate replacement for what has made the character great for nearly 60 years now.

I feel that they did a decent job of getting Peter out from under Tony Stark's shadow in this film, hopefully they will continue to allow the character to come into his own in the next film. Having a much darker "Kraven's Last Hunt" storyline would be an excellent way to do that.
I think it’s the Vader TIE from POTF2 in 97

Reaction score
After appearances in five movies, I don't recall any significant mention of his Uncle Ben or "with great power comes great responsibility."
they 'rephrased' it. :p

“When you can do the things that I can, but you don’t, and then the bad things happen, they happen because of you.”

[translation: "with great power comes great responsibility"] :p LOL

(same ****, different bucket).

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think it’s the Vader TIE from POTF2 in 97
Vader's TIE and the TIE Bomber both use the same wing mold; but, based on the color, it appeared much closer to the initial POTJ release of the TIE Bomber, from 2002.

they 'rephrased' it. :p

“When you can do the things that I can, but you don’t, and then the bad things happen, they happen because of you.”

[translation: "with great power comes great responsibility"] :p LOL

(same ****, different bucket).
I guess they are just assuming that everyone knows the story, so no need to rehash it.

Reaction score
With all the SW toy talk, I discovered something neat. There is a cut scene of Peter selling almost all of his Star Wars toys to get money for MJ's Black Dahlia necklace. Apparently the only one he kept was a vintage Lobot of all things. Seems like an odd choice. I wonder if they'd tie that to Uncle Ben. Like perhaps it was Ben's or a gift from Ben.

Because I'll be honest here, I get his exclusion...per se...but it's going to become jarring eventually if he's never mentioned whatsoever. I honestly wanted a moment with Happy when, during his breakdown, where it's not about Tony. Perhaps the film leads you to believe it will be about Tony, but he says something like this: "I just miss him..." "Tony was my best frie..." "Not Mr. Stark, my Uncle. I know now, I'll never be Iron Man. I don't want to be Iron Man. Mr. Stark was one of my best friends too, he was a hero, but I do this because of my hero. My Uncle Ben," something that would REALLY solidify that he's OUT of Starks shadow for good and is his own independent hero. It's also a way of mentioning Uncle Ben without SHOWING it yet again. Because honestly, it does feel like that tombstone should say Benjamin Parker and not Tony Stark. Now GRATED I get why it says Stark, Mysterio didn't know about Ben. Just that was my first gut emotion.

Last edited:
Reaction score
However, he seems to be missing his primary motivation for being Spider-Man in the first place. After appearances in five movies, I don't recall any significant mention of his Uncle Ben or "with great power comes great responsibility." Just being Tony Stark's protege doesn't seem to be an adequate replacement for what has made the character great for nearly 60 years now.

I feel that they did a decent job of getting Peter out from under Tony Stark's shadow in this film, hopefully they will continue to allow the character to come into his own in the next film.
I do agree that this part of Parker's story that is missing, and Ben should have been mentioned/explained by now. Which would tie in with Tony being a father figure, and why there's an opening.
Honestly, the MCU's version is so young that Ben could have still been alive off screen. Yet it was all glossed over and then we've got. Happy and her being an item.

I guess they can just assume that everyone already knows his origins, so no need explaining it all. But since they started the character so young, something does feel like it's missing now.

BTW, friends of mine are going to go see this in a couple days. And I thought I's mention to them not to trust everything you see in this. But then thought maybe I shouldn't. I feel like they'll be lost with the way the movie is set up. So should I give them a spoiler free heads up?

Reaction score
I do agree that this part of Parker's story that is missing, and Ben should have been mentioned/explained by now. Which would tie in with Tony being a father figure, and why there's an opening.
Honestly, the MCU's version is so young that Ben could have still been alive off screen. Yet it was all glossed over and then we've got. Happy and her being an item.

I guess they can just assume that everyone already knows his origins, so no need explaining it all. But since they started the character so young, something does feel like it's missing now.

BTW, friends of mine are going to go see this in a couple days. And I thought I's mention to them not to trust everything you see in this. But then thought maybe I shouldn't. I feel like they'll be lost with the way the movie is set up. So should I give them a spoiler free heads up?
See that's my thing, bud! I love this Spider-Man series thus far, it's my favorite so far. I can live with the adaptations and alterations mostly. Things that were jarring to me no longer bother me. Some of those are:

1. Younger Aunt May initially was...a bit shocking. I didn't really know how to take it. 2. Aunt May knowing Peter is Spider-Man so early on is another. 3. Flash, MJ, and Ned. 4. Tony Stark basically being a surrogate Uncle Ben. 5. Not mentioning Uncle Ben. 6. Spider-Man's suit having Stark tech.

These were all things I really had to adjust to. Fortunately I could. I find the writing such quality I can roll with these changes. I feel like the spirit of the old Lee and Ditko books is truer in this than any portrayal of Spider-Man yet, despite the alterations. The heart and soul of those books is being replicated more accurately than the Raimi trilogy or the Amazing Spider-Man IMO, even if some of the details are changed along the way. But that's me. Tom Holland is def. the most accurate Peter Parker/Spider-Man, for my money. I always felt Toby had the nerd down, but he didn't have the charm nor the childlike wonder. In fact, Peter being a kid is predominately skimped over. He's only in High School for what? A half hour of the original film? I felt Garfield was the exact opposite, making him too cool. He had the quips and wit down (though you might argue bordered upon too mean spirited) but not the outcast geek. He's more antisocial skater freak and less geek. Then there's the intelligence angle of Peter. Toby never particularly did anything scientific, we're simply just told he's scientifically knowledgeable through dialogue rather than ever really shown it. Garfield is the opposite, where we see him preforming experiments in his home and designing web-shooters, but he's so antisocial hip and a ladies man that it lacks the gravitas of geek. He feels more like a reclusive loner who'd have a garage band.

Tom Holland is the perfect blend of the two, which translates to comic book Spider-Man. Firstly, he doesn't look like he's 35. He's an actual kid that has the innocence and endearing excitement of a kid! He's got the science down in both practice and dialogue (shown and told), he's got the geek down pat, he's got the quips, he's got girl troubles, he can do the more comedic side and the dramatically serious side. He's got it all in one. I also like that they finally did something I've wanted to see on screen for a long time. Toby couldn't run out of webbing for obvious reasons. Andrew did have his shooters broken. But I always argued the narrative purpose of having Peter design web-shooters instead of simply just his body mutating to organically create them was for suspense purposes. He can run out! It creates more engaging battle scenes and makes Peter have to rely upon his skill-sets and resources to solve a problem. Far From Home finally did it!

It's also ironic that, though this franchise has used two of his lesser known and what many would deem B-tier villains, they've been (for me) easily the best portrayals of any Spider-Man villains on screen. I certainly found them to be the most interesting and in-depth in any of the movies. They also stood out as unique, not just among Spider-Man, but among the MCU villain roster at large. I will say I'm still not wild about new Flash, that's the only one I'm still taking some issue with. Ned I can live with, he's sincerely funny. MJ I take no issue with whatsoever. Why? Because the "MJ" angle of the character is just a wink reference. She's not Mary Jane Watson, though admittedly she's the stand-in FOR the role, but she's her own original character and honestly, one I'm enjoying.

Plus I am glad that by the end of Homecoming it's emphasized that Peter is Spider-Man, not Iron Man Jr., highlighted by him turning down the suit Tony offers him. I would have HATED if it took the suit. Now true he does eventually get that suit regardless, but it's deemed more just a necessity for space and this huge conflict rather than his default attire. I think that was one of the main themes of Homecoming...identity and self-discovery. He's young, he's new at this, he's learning and finding out who he wants to be. That's not Iron Man! That's a theme continued and finally culminated in Far From Home. He doesn't need to depend on Stark technology to define and make him a hero. He needs to lean on HIS abilities, like spider-sense in the climax of the latest, to be his own person and superhero. That's a common theme in young adulthood, discovering identity. I believe this is why there are no real true web-swinging through New York shots in Homecoming and not until he discovers who he is in Far From Home. This franchise is largely about him discovering his abilities, which takes time. His swing through NYC signifies he's now discovered that true identity, Spider-Man! Which in typical Lee/Ditko era twist fashion...what happens right after that? His identity is then directly attacked and ousted.

But I will say this much. I understood not directly covering Uncle Ben's death or the origin again, but I always viewed it as temporarily. I don't want a flashback. I don't want a direct cover of it again, I agree the notion seems to be that they assume everyone knows it, but I do believe it's time now to mention Ben. Because not even mentioning him in the entire series would feel just, well, wrong.

Last edited: