Marvel's Agents of SHIELD - TV show

GNT

Reaction score
Couldn't find a thread for it, only the discussion in the Avengers thread.

Here's the latest from SHH:

S.H.I.E.L.D. Character Details Revealed?

Announced earlier this year, Joss Whedon is overseeing "S.H.I.E.L.D.", Marvel Studios' first television series set in their cinematic universe. Today, TV Line has gotten their hands on a list of characters that are alleged to be at the forefront of the ABC series, now casting. Their list reads as follows:

SKYE: This late-20s woman sounds like a dream: fun, smart, caring and confident – with an ability to get the upper hand by using her wit and charm.

AGENT GRANT WARD: Quite the physical specimen and “cool under fire,” he sometimes botches interpersonal relations. He’s a quiet one with a bit of a temper, but he’s the kind of guy that grows on you.

AGENT ALTHEA RICE: Also known as “The Calvary,” this hard-core soldier has crazy skills when it comes to weapons and being a pilot. But her experiences have left her very quiet and a little damaged.

AGENT LEO FITZ and AGENT JEMMA SIMMONS: These two came through training together and still choose to spend most of their time in each other’s company. Their sibling-like relationship is reinforced by their shared nerd tendencies – she deals with biology and chemistry, he’s a whiz at the technical side of weaponry.

Although none of the roles appear to be previously-established comic book characters, it should be noted that on the commentary track to his The Cabin in the Woods, Whedon refers to using fake sides to audition talent. Knowing the secrecy of Marvel, there's a definite possibility that "S.H.I.E.L.D." could be employing a similar tactic.

It also remains to be seen which, if any, actors and/or characters from the feature films are planned to appear on the show. It's very likely that "S.H.I.E.L.D." will have direct ties to future Marvel Studios cinematic entries, including the Whedon-scripted and directed Marvel's The Avengers 2, set for release on May 1, 2015.

Reaction score
I'm getting more and more excited about this series all the time, especially now that it's (allegedly) tied directly to the Marvel cinematic universe. Can't wait to hear more! B)

Reaction score
AGENT GRANT WARD: Quite the physical specimen and “cool under fire,” he sometimes botches interpersonal relations. He’s a quiet one with a bit of a temper, but he’s the kind of guy that grows on you.

Two words for you....

Adam.

Baldwin.

Reaction score
I could see that, Summer is very versatile and nice to look at. And the fact Whedon likes using certain cast members frequently.

Hopefully with his involvement this could mean Morena Baccarin being cast as Wasp.

Although I'm still bummed Coulson wont be a part of it!:(

Reaction score
Couldn't find a thread for it, only the discussion in the Avengers thread.

AGENT ALTHEA RICE: Also known as “The Calvary,” this hard-core soldier has crazy skills when it comes to weapons and being a pilot. But her experiences have left her very quiet and a little damaged.
Amy Ackerman or Charisma Carpenter.

Reaction score
I was very much hoping he'd be a part of it. I'm also hoping it won't necessarily be strictly linear and episodes may take place at various points in the timeline, so that we may get some post-Avengers stuff too.

Reaction score
Looks like my hopes for Amy Acker to be part of the main cast is dead, she said she wouldn't be part of the main cast but would to be involved in a smaller role.

Reaction score
I saw that too, great news!
Though it would have to mean it takes place before Avengers, so I wonder what time frame they keep it set in.
Because as time goes by they would have to mirror what goes on in the movies if their plan is to tie in with the movieverse as previously mentioned.

Oh, please please let this be the incentive Hasbro needs to give us an Agent Coulson figure!!!!!!
We can only hope!
Though with the state of MU being on thin ice and ending, that may not happen.
Unless they plan to continue the movie lines as is, and in between call it the SHIELD line.
I just hope the up the ante on POA with the movie figures if MU ends!

Reaction score
I wonder if Marvel would ever use Spider-Man in this series, since they have the TV rights to the character.

Reaction score
I wonder if Marvel would ever use Spider-Man in this series, since they have the TV rights to the character.
Do they? I'd like to see the contract but normally those kinds of rights are exclusive. In fact I think I heard about Disney DX having a bit of a battle with Sony and is not allowed to air or sell DVDs or Blu Rays of their Spider-Man series.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
Good news about Coulson, but I don't care for Ming-Na Wen that much.

I wonder how the quality of the show will change when new Directors are brought in after Whedon directs the Pilot though...
Seems like they want to just focus on the agents, but it would be nice to have a few Heroes drop in from time to time.

Do they? I'd like to see the contract but normally those kinds of rights are exclusive. In fact I think I heard about Disney DX having a bit of a battle with Sony and is not allowed to air or sell DVDs or Blu Rays of their Spider-Man series.
I know, even though some might think it's campy or whatever, I'd like to be able to buy the old 78 live action series.

Reaction score
I think someone mentioned it already, but I think it would be cool if they followed the theme of using Coulson to recruit Superheroes on a weekly basis.
Kind of how he does it in IM2, and in some Marvel One shots.

Every week he tracks down someone who shows signs of Avengers potential, which could spotlight some of the background characters that we most likely wont see on the big screen.

Reaction score
Every week he tracks down someone who shows signs of Avengers potential, which could spotlight some of the background characters that we most likely wont see on the big screen.
As cool as it sounds in theory, a show with that general idea wouldn't be sustainable for more than a season or two. Things would get repetitive after a while.

GNT

Reaction score
From SHH:

Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D. Gets Two More Agents

THR is reporting that actors Iain De Caestecker and Elizabeth Henstridge have been added to Joss Whedon's pilot for Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D. Henstridge will play Agent Gemma Simmons and De Caestecker wil portray Agent Leo Fitz. The names and descriptions of these characters were released at the beginning of October, they're described as follows:
These two came through training together and still choose to spend most of their time in each other’s company. Their sibling-like relationship is reinforced by their shared nerd tendencies – she deals with biology and chemistry, he’s a whiz at the technical side of weaponry.

The pair join actress Ming-Na Wen as Agent Melinda May and Clark Gregg, who will reprise his role as Agent Phil Coulson.

Joss Whedon will direct the pilot and co-write it with his brother Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen. It's expected to begin shooting in January.

Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D. will be executive produced by the Whedons, Maurissa Tancharoen, Jeffrey Bell and Jeph Loeb.

Reaction score
I realize this is going to focus on Shield agents, but I hope they bring in some Avengers once in a while.
Also might be nice to see Maria Hill show up from time to time, possibly even Sharon Carter.

I just have a feeling it might get old and repetitious real quick if it's just regular agents all the time.

Reaction score
^
She looks like Joss took some DNA from Summer Glau, Amy Acker, and Eliza Dushku and cloned it into some hot Frankenstein Whedon gestalt uber-babe.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm surprised none of them have popped up for this series.
Same here, I'd have expected at least one or two of his Firefly alums to come aboard in some fashion.
Of course there's nothing saying they can't make a guest appearance in future episodes.

It does seem by the cast listing that they are going for totally agent show, as opposed to mixing it up with some superheroes.
I'm curious what exactly they plan to do all day.

Reaction score
Same here, I'd have expected at least one or two of his Firefly alums to come aboard in some fashion.
Of course there's nothing saying they can't make a guest appearance in future episodes.

It does seem by the cast listing that they are going for totally agent show, as opposed to mixing it up with some superheroes.
I'm curious what exactly they plan to do all day.
-It could be that this is only the main cast, and superheroes/villions will be more like guest stars.

Reaction score
im just glad this isnt on fox because they have a crappy track record of cancelling shows after 1 season

i'd love to see joss get what he deserves and that is a good amount of seasons on a network that cares

the man is a god

GNT

Reaction score
Joss Whedon Talks Balancing Work on Avengers 2 and Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D.

Joss Whedon is a really busy guy. He's working on shepherding a new television series, Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D., through the pilot stage and he's currently in the preliminary stages on Marvel's The Avengers 2. But how can he work on both at the same time? Whedon spoke with EW about his workload and how he'll manage to work on both.
”I have to maintain a fine balance between not hurting The Avengers, which is my number one priority right now, and not be the guy who shows up once a month and undoes everything that’s been done by everyone else.”

Whedon says he will work on the television series "as my schedule allows," and will help the other writers and producers brainstorm stories in addition to reviewing and approving edits for the show's episodes.

Joss also spoke about working on the sequel to his Emmy award-winning series, Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog: “We really want to shoot it next year. We feel strong about the idea and we have a bunch of stuff written."

Whedon is currently directing the pilot for Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D. from a script that he co-wrote with his brother Jed and Maurissa Tancharoen. Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D. will be executive produced by the Whedons, Tancharoen, Jeffrey Bell and Jeph Loeb.