Marvel Comics Jabba the Hutt

Reaction score
From the very early Marvel Comics. From the feedback I've been getting on this guy, I guess I'm not the only one who was surprised at Jabba's appearance in ROTJ after seeing the version the Marvel artists used.

Reaction score
Yes..very nice job....Marvel Comics version of Jabba..issues #2,28 & 37.
here is some pics from issue #2.

Looks just like the one in the comics... Great Job

yodascorch

Reaction score
MK17 said:
Excellent custom there! The sculpting is superb and I love the use of hair. Well, now we know him as Mosep or whatever.
It occurred to me that I should make a cast of his head for Mosep but I decided that Mosep should look dorkier than the Jabba head so I didn't.

For those familiar wiht the early drafts of ANH, I would speculate that this costume probably would have been what Montross would have looked like. I also wonder if maybe, just maybe, that GL tried shooting the Docking Bay 94 scene with this character as an alternative to the human actor and the planned stop motion. After all, the Marvel adaptation was strongly influenced by a rough cut of Star Wars that the comic artists and writers were shown. Ya never know what footage is stashed in the Lucasfilm archives.

yodascorch said:
Yes..very nice job....Marvel Comics version of Jabba..issues #2,28 & 37.
here is some pics from issue #2.

Looks just like the one in the comics... Great Job

yodascorch
I think the artwork I specifically used was from 36. It was a little closer to Mosep's appearance.

Reaction score
Damnit Owen!!! I love this figure! You make so many things that I want for my collection... I've tried making this sort of species in the past, and I failed miserably. If you didn't make this for another customizer, I'd be interested in it..............

Reaction score
OwenD, I want to kiss you; I just can’t get over how awesome this custom is! The paint apps are perfect, what colors did you use? That’s a fantastic use of the Saga Veers’ body, are the lower arms from the Saga Death Star Gunner? The head sculpt is amazing, I love how large you made the eyes and the facial fuzz, oh my fudging god, that totally makes the figure; it’s like a hairy cherry on top. This has got to be one of my favorite customs ever!!!

Reaction score
Nice work! I figured I'd do one of my own if Hasbro ever released a Mosep. Some of us procrastinate, while others make the most of what they've got and make it look great.

Reaction score
Absolutely beautiful. Great job.

If you DID make a mold from this guy, I think you'd have a very successful kit to sell.

Alex

Reaction score
Outstanding as always, mate. Now you need a Blue (in the face) Snaggletooth (or Takeel) and a Concept Walrusman. to complete the diorama. And I coudl've sworn I saw another concept of Jabba that had him as a skinny guy with a Manchurian mustache and a helmet that covered three eyes.

Reaction score
After seeing a cool image on this webpage that shows all of the costumes from the streets of Mos Eisley posing for a group shot, I thought I'd give this thread a bump.

I started thinking about making my own custom Mosep...

But I'd want three. One with the white topknot, one with the red whiskers, and one more to be Jabba the HUT (one t, as in the old Marvel spelling).

Nobody seems to have made a Mosep other than this one that Owen D. sculpted. Someone needs to sculpt the head and make it fit on the neck post of the TAC Death Squad Commander figure, and then make a mold.

I'd buy at least three. Anyone else think this is a good idea?

Alex

Reaction score
Very cool, he looks perfect next to the comic book. I can remember reading this and being really confused about who this guy is.

Reaction score
New_Bornalex said:
Nobody seems to have made a Mosep other than this one that Owen D. sculpted. Someone needs to sculpt the head and make it fit on the neck post of the TAC Death Squad Commander figure, and then make a mold.

I'd buy at least three. Anyone else think this is a good idea?
I agree. They'd just need to retool the belt for no boxes & a new holster, or simply use the unmodified Jerjerrod skirt with the Death Star Trooper mold (he's no Death Squad Commander!)

I'd get one or two, for the Cantina versions & "Jabba the Hut" (who's now really Jabba's accountant!)

Reaction score
This is amazing!! THey should use your mold in a Marvel figure/Comic Pack!

Reaction score
Hah! I was SERIOUSLY considering making one of these myself. No joke. After reading the comic that came with tarkin and the stormtrooper I wanted to make one from the new DS trooper. I bought an extra trooper but I haven't gotten around to sculpting the head. You did an excellent job though and I am really inspired now to continue working on mine. Superb sculpt!

Reaction score
Stephen Hayford has made an excellent Mosep figure.

I don't thing Lucas ever shot the scene with this character though. At the time Marvel comics just knew that Lucas was going to substitue the human character with an alien, but they didn't know what the alien looked like. So, they just used the image of an obscure background character.

Star Wars in 1977 never really was "finished," Lucasfilm just ran out of time and had to use what they had. So, there was no way Marvel could have known what the alien would look like. The cut was made after the comic went into production. Heck, Lucas & company were still mixing the sound for mono sound systems AFTER the very first release of Star Wars.

Check out the book The Making of Star Wars the definitive story it is truly amazing at the background of how this movie was made.

Jason