Mark Poon's Sweet Vlix! No firestorm, please!

Joined
Nov 23, 2002
Messages
1,228
Reaction score
0
Mark Poon\'s Sweet Vlix! No firestorm, please!

Well, I hope this hasn't been hashed out here already (or maybe should be in "customs" section), but I thought I'd just high-light Mark Poon's latest creation from the Isle of Singapore
!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50279&item=5985652650&rd=1

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
<font color="blue"> You are bidding for a custom vintage Star Wars Droids Brazilian Glasslite Vlix.
Vlix represents an obscure character from the short-lived Droids cartoon series & is the rarest of all Star Wars figures to be commercially released. In the States, it was scheduled for release in Kenner's 2nd series of Droids action figures, but, due to the cancellation of the show, it was never issued. Vlix was only released in Brazil by Glasslite in 1988 & very few are known to exist.

This Vlix is pressure cast from an original Brazilian Glasslite Vlix in colored plastic, fully articulated & airbrushed by a modeler. Like the original figure, the head is cast in light green & the rest of the body in blue color. It comes complete with a black rifle (cast from an original Hoth Stormtrooper rifle). All mold lines have been skillfully removed from the master copy before the mold is made so the figure is extremely well cast.

Since the cost and rarity of an original Vlix keeps it out of most collectors’ hands, this custom vintage Star Wars Droids Brazilian Glasslite Vlix will be a great addition to any Star Wars toy collection! Do not hesitate to email me at poonwk@cyberway.com.sg if you have any questions or if you need detail pictures of this item & I'll gladly respond to your queries within 12 hours. Winner agrees to pay USD$10.00 for air-mail shipping anywhere in the world & insurance is optional at USD$3.00. I accept payments via Paypal or Cash sent via registered mail. Please check out our exciting range of Star Wars and Indiana Jones collectibles at eBay! Happy bidding and good luck!

</font>

[/QUOTE]

I'm certain this is a legimate auction, so don't fret if I "outed" your find, I'm sure he'll have more available than just this one.

Curious for those out there who own one of Ryan's (Bantha5) recent Vlix figures--the face spots/red doesn't look airbrushed (sprayed, masked?), so I still think Ryan's is a better paint job--but what about the molding? Is it from Ryan's recent (last year) copy? If so, would it be a little shorter? Would this be perceptable?

Finally, please DO NOT SLAM MARK or rail on about how "he" is ruining the hobby. Bantha5 did a short run of these last year and I don't remember ANYBODY getting upset. Maybe it was b/c of the fact that he only made like 6 of them (okay, maybe 20), but probably b/c everybody is always impressed by his customizing skills, wax pen skills, dremmeling skills, airbrush skills, you know--skills!

Also, this is not a paid announcement from the Mark Poon Fan Club, however, I did order a custom carded Fett from him last year and it included a sticker that said "reproduction" clearly attached inside the bubble (just like he said it would).

So, what do you guys/girls think? Is it as good as Ryan's? I'd love to see them side-by-side, so if anybody has Ryan's and want's another, please post here.

P'DJ

PS: I'm in Cincy now, so here's a shout-out to all the members of the OSWCC (of which I am not yet a member)! Yo
!
 
Joined
Jul 18, 2004
Messages
83
Reaction score
0
Re: Mark Poon\'s Sweet Vlix! No firestorm, please!

Man, I'd like to have one of these myself. I wonder how much he would charge for one straight out. That is one awesome custom.
 
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
556
Reaction score
0
Re: Mark Poon\'s Sweet Vlix! No firestorm, please!

Mark's custom Vlixs are very impressive, both in design and quality. I've heard that he's working on a carded version too which should make for a very cool custom!
 
Joined
May 26, 2001
Messages
2,574
Reaction score
0
Re: Mark Poon\'s Sweet Vlix! No firestorm, please!

Po_DeadJawa said:
Curious for those out there who own one of Ryan's (Bantha5) recent Vlix figures--the face spots/red doesn't look airbrushed (sprayed, masked?), so I still think Ryan's is a better paint job--but what about the molding? Is it from Ryan's recent (last year) copy? If so, would it be a little shorter? Would this be perceptable?

Finally, please DO NOT SLAM MARK or rail on about how "he" is ruining the hobby. Bantha5 did a short run of these last year and I don't remember ANYBODY getting upset. Maybe it was b/c of the fact that he only made like 6 of them (okay, maybe 20), but probably b/c everybody is always impressed by his customizing skills, wax pen skills, dremmeling skills, airbrush skills, you know--skills!
I have never dealt with Mark so i have no beef with him. As for this mold, I have no clue if it is cast from Ryans custom or not. I will say that I do own a custom Vlix from Ryan and after looking at these pics and holding my custom next to them, the coloring on Ryans is better. The mold or shape looks similar but I cant really tell having nothing to gauge size on with the photos from that auction.

Your comments on Ryans abilities are spot on except for one thing. No one had an issue with his customs because he MARKED EVERY ONE AS A CUSTOM. There is no way his would be viewed as a real one with a quick glance at figure. I see nothing on that one in the auction that is cut/molded/etched into its body that states its a custom. Therefore it is NOT good for the hobby. Period. A fake is a fake and it serves no good on the open market if it is not labeled as such. And Ryan only made a run of ten, all of which are numbered on the bottom of the feet.

Unfortunately this falls pretty much right in line with other actions I have read about from Mark. Like I said, I have no issues with him personally but this wont help his cause in many collectors eyes.

Billy
 

michael_mensinger

Moderator
Joined
Dec 24, 2000
Messages
5,950
Reaction score
2
Re: Mark Poon\'s Sweet Vlix! No firestorm, please!

No firestorm, no firestorm??? I can't resist it, I must add firestorm to this thread!



The Super Powers collectors on the board will enjoy my joke....hopefully :^)

-Mike
 
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
556
Reaction score
0
Re: Mark Poon\'s Sweet Vlix! No firestorm, please!

baldylox said:
Your comments on Ryans abilities are spot on except for one thing. No one had an issue with his customs because he MARKED EVERY ONE AS A CUSTOM. There is no way his would be viewed as a real one with a quick glance at figure. I see nothing on that one in the auction that is cut/molded/etched into its body that states its a custom. Therefore it is NOT good for the hobby. Period. A fake is a fake and it serves no good on the open market if it is not labeled as such. And Ryan only made a run of ten, all of which are numbered on the bottom of the feet.

Unfortunately this falls pretty much right in line with other actions I have read about from Mark. Like I said, I have no issues with him personally but this wont help his cause in many collectors eyes.

Billy
If a dishonest seller was to try and sell one of Ryan's custom Vlix figures as being authentic there's no doubt in my mind it would be listed on ebay. The fact that his figures are marked on the bottom of the feet wouldn't be helpful at all in this type of situation because the buyer wouldn't know it was a fake until after they paid for it and could see it first hand. Besides, Mark put labels on his carded 21 Back Boba Fetts to indicate they were customs and he still got blasted by some of the forum members.
 

Tommy_Garvey

Moderator
Joined
Nov 15, 2003
Messages
2,398
Reaction score
3
Location
FL
Re: Mark Poon\'s Sweet Vlix! No firestorm, please!

michael_mensinger said:
No firestorm, no firestorm??? I can't resist it, I must add firestorm to this thread!



The Super Powers collectors on the board will enjoy my joke....hopefully :^)

-Mike
I don't know about Derek, James, Jon or Tim, but I thought it was funny Mike.


Tommy
 
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Messages
1,443
Reaction score
0
Re: Mark Poon\'s Sweet Vlix! No firestorm, please!

Tommy_Garvey said:
I don't know about Derek, James, Jon or Tim, but I thought it was funny Mike.


Tommy
What about Ronny, Bobby, Ricky, and Mike?
They thought it was funny too.

 
Joined
Oct 15, 2004
Messages
710
Reaction score
0
Re: Mark Poon\'s Sweet Vlix! No firestorm, please!

Tommy_Garvey said:
michael_mensinger said:
No firestorm, no firestorm??? I can't resist it, I must add firestorm to this thread!



The Super Powers collectors on the board will enjoy my joke....hopefully :^)

-Mike
I don't know about Derek, James, Jon or Tim, but I thought it was funny Mike.


Tommy
Me too, classic figure! Unfortunately, I never had one growing up though.
 
Joined
May 26, 2001
Messages
2,574
Reaction score
0
Re: Mark Poon\'s Sweet Vlix! No firestorm, please!

Speed_Racer said:
baldylox said:
Your comments on Ryans abilities are spot on except for one thing. No one had an issue with his customs because he MARKED EVERY ONE AS A CUSTOM. There is no way his would be viewed as a real one with a quick glance at figure. I see nothing on that one in the auction that is cut/molded/etched into its body that states its a custom. Therefore it is NOT good for the hobby. Period. A fake is a fake and it serves no good on the open market if it is not labeled as such. And Ryan only made a run of ten, all of which are numbered on the bottom of the feet.

Unfortunately this falls pretty much right in line with other actions I have read about from Mark. Like I said, I have no issues with him personally but this wont help his cause in many collectors eyes.

Billy
If a dishonest seller was to try and sell one of Ryan's custom Vlix figures as being authentic there's no doubt in my mind it would be listed on ebay. The fact that his figures are marked on the bottom of the feet wouldn't be helpful at all in this type of situation because the buyer wouldn't know it was a fake until after they paid for it and could see it first hand. Besides, Mark put labels on his carded 21 Back Boba Fetts to indicate they were customs and he still got blasted by some of the forum members.
To my knowledge, Ryan only sold those repros to people he knew and trusted NOT to resell them. With Marks auction, even if he *had* marked this as a repro, he sure didn't take any pictures of those markings. All I am trying to say is that this should be MARKED as a repro and shown that it is marked. At least this way he would be seen as trying to help the collecting community in some way.

I stated earlier that I have nothing against Mark personally and have never done business with him. I just don't agree with the way this auction is setup. He has obviously had issues with other collectors before about his customs and repros ( the marked Fetts ) but this says to me that he really doesn't care what anyone else has to say about it.

Billy
 
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
556
Reaction score
0
Re: Mark Poon\'s Sweet Vlix! No firestorm, please!

baldylox said:
To my knowledge, Ryan only sold those repros to people he knew and trusted NOT to resell them.
Unless Ryan knew these "trusted" customers personally this precaution really doesn't hold much weight. As was witnessed on this forum a short time ago, not all long standing and seemingly trustworthy members on these boards can, in fact, be trusted.

baldylox said:
With Marks auction, even if he *had* marked this as a repro, he sure didn't take any pictures of those markings. All I am trying to say is that this should be MARKED as a repro and shown that it is marked. At least this way he would be seen as trying to help the collecting community in some way.
Mark did label his custom Fetts and provided pictures as proof but that still wasn't good enough for some people. If I remember correctly, they tried to argue that the sticker marked "repro" could be removed from underneath a SEALED blister.

baldylox said:
I stated earlier that I have nothing against Mark personally and have never done business with him. I just don't agree with the way this auction is setup. He has obviously had issues with other collectors before about his customs and repros ( the marked Fetts ) but this says to me that he really doesn't care what anyone else has to say about it.

Billy
I wouldn't care either, especially after making a genuine attempt do the right thing the first time and still getting flak over it. I guess it's like the old saying goes, "you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time."
 
Joined
Jun 1, 2002
Messages
1,675
Reaction score
0
Re: Mark Poon\'s Sweet Vlix! No firestorm, please!

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
No firestorm, no firestorm??? I can't resist it, I must add firestorm to this thread!

[/QUOTE]

You could probably buy a killer vintage SW display with the scratch from selling me that Firestorm HC
. With such wonderful pictures of that Firestorm HC on your website, would you really miss 'ol firehead that much ;^)?

-Ronnie Raymond
 

michael_mensinger

Moderator
Joined
Dec 24, 2000
Messages
5,950
Reaction score
2
Re: Mark Poon\'s Sweet Vlix! No firestorm, please!

Ha! I deliberately used the picture of the *production* figure for my joke to avoid upsetting you, Timothy. :^P No hardcopies in this thread...move along, move along. ;^)

-Mike
 
Joined
Feb 15, 2003
Messages
2,645
Reaction score
1
Re: Mark Poon\'s Sweet Vlix! No firestorm, please!

jedi5 said:
Tommy_Garvey said:
I don't know about Derek, James, Jon or Tim, but I thought it was funny Mike.


Tommy
What about Ronny, Bobby, Ricky, and Mike?
They thought it was funny too.

COOL IT DOWNNNNN!!!!!!
 
Joined
Jan 26, 2003
Messages
2,203
Reaction score
0
Location
WI
Re: Mark Poon\'s Sweet Vlix! No firestorm, please!

Speed_Racer said:
If a dishonest seller was to try and sell one of Ryan's custom Vlix figures as being authentic there's no doubt in my mind it would be listed on ebay. The fact that his figures are marked on the bottom of the feet wouldn't be helpful at all in this type of situation because the buyer wouldn't know it was a fake until after they paid for it and could see it first hand. Besides, Mark put labels on his carded 21 Back Boba Fetts to indicate they were customs and he still got blasted by some of the forum members.
so what about vlix ?, wheres the mark on it ?

 
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
556
Reaction score
0
Re: Mark Poon\'s Sweet Vlix! No firestorm, please!

Dane said:
Speed_Racer said:
If a dishonest seller was to try and sell one of Ryan's custom Vlix figures as being authentic there's no doubt in my mind it would be listed on ebay. The fact that his figures are marked on the bottom of the feet wouldn't be helpful at all in this type of situation because the buyer wouldn't know it was a fake until after they paid for it and could see it first hand. Besides, Mark put labels on his carded 21 Back Boba Fetts to indicate they were customs and he still got blasted by some of the forum members.
so what about vlix ?, wheres the mark on it ?

You may want to check my third reply for your answer to that. Reading is a wonderful thing . . . you know.
 
Joined
Jan 26, 2003
Messages
2,203
Reaction score
0
Location
WI
Re: Mark Poon\'s Sweet Vlix! No firestorm, please!

Speed_Racer said:
You may want to check my third reply for your answer to that. Reading is a wonderful thing . . . you know.
i see nothing mentioning ANY marking on the VLIX Mark made.

and why dont you go back and edit all of your posts again, no one will notice i swear...

 
Top