Making a SW Film is Difficult Because of the Lack of Comics and Novels says Kathleen Kennedy!

Reaction score
.... the 'Generic Teddy Bear' (or stuffed bear) is one of the most prolific, top-selling "toys" of all time. this seems to be the underlying premise of GL's writing process, re: 'Ewoks' .....
This is SO wrong it's untrue. Learn your history about the affordability of being unable to cinematically realise Kashyyyk until 2005. Sure there was merchandise but in this case the cart wasn't put before the horse - the horse just couldn't be done yet.

Reaction score
I like the Murder Bears/Ewoks, I like the idea of guerillia warfare vs the superior high-tech Empire and beating them on the home turf

Reaction score
It works for Ewoks, yes.

I remain extremely sceptical regarding the use of Star Destroyer-traversing Space Horses, however.

Reaction score
in 1977 he sold toys to promote his movie -- but by 1983 he was using his movies to sell toys. and I'm sure if you analyze the top-selling toys in history, the 'Generic Teddy Bear' (or stuffed bear) is one of the most prolific, top-selling "toys" of all time. this seems to be the underlying premise of GL's writing process, re: 'Ewoks' -- rather than making toys from his popular movie-characters, he began writing movie characters from popular toys. (I suppose it could be worse -- he could have given us the SW equivalent of a 'Generic Rubber Ball' -- instead we have JJ to thank for that one. LOL)
True. In 1977 the toy thing was an afterthought. Lucas only did it because he figured he might make a few more quid on his movie which he suspected would make a modest profit. Kenner couldn't even get the figures into shops for Christmas, because everything happened so late in the day and nobody had a clue what to even make.

In 1983, the toy thinking was front and centre.

I've made my peace with the denizens of Endor at this stage though. But how cooler would 'Return of the Jedi' have been if the Ewoks were Wookies, as originally conceived.

Reaction score
There are enough actual statements out there now by KK, JJ, Treverau, and Rian to affirm what the "toxic fans" knew all along; they had no laid out plan for the mess that is the ST. To me, this will never be anything more than awful fan fiction tossed together to show everyone that Disney could do Star Wars better than Lucas. There's no reason for me to even watch the conclusion of the saga when I don't even consider the ST to be part of the saga.

Disney tore down Lucas Cathedral so they could sell us a straw hut, while calling the people who worshipped at the cathedral toxic.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Most of the EU/Legends stuff was and is garbage. Not saying what Disney has come out with (especially TLJ) has been great but seriously the big EU moment was when vegetable monsters from outer space arrived and killed Chewbacca with a moon (or some **** like that). You can't say that it's unoriginal to have the son of Solo or offspring of Skywalker in these new movies but at the same time wish for Jacen, Jaina, Ben etc.

Reaction score
I've made my peace with the denizens of Endor at this stage though. But how cooler would 'Return of the Jedi' have been if the Ewoks were Wookies, as originally conceived.
as "originally conceived" the wookies were being used as slave labor to build the death star; their planet was being depleted of its iron core to provide raw materials to build the death star; they had "skin in the game" and a REASON to fight the empire. (actually 2 reasons: the slavery subplot and the environment sublot). when GL changed wook-ee to ee-wook, he forgot to include their MOTIVATION in the story. as it stands, there is absolutely no reason for the man-eating ewoks to help the rebellion, besides *[bongo drums]* "..we are now a part of the tribe". it doesn't make any sense.

Reaction score
Ewoks have been a wax and wane for me. As a kid, I adored them. As a teenager and young adult, I grew to dislike them. As now an adult, I've kind of found a harmony with them. I can recognize the commercial underlying aspects of them. I'm conscious of what they were to conceptually be and ultimately I can live with their victory. But if Wookiee, it would be far more believable. I know that the scenes in ROTS were intended to sort of make up for the alteration to Ewoks, though I personally didn't care much for the Kashyyyk moments of the shoehorning in of Chewbacca. I liked the planets topographic design quite a bit, but I never much liked the Wookiee's technology. I just thought the designs for weapons or vehicles were...well...kind of lame.

See I wouldn't say the Ewoks have zero motivation. It's a looser one, but it's there IMO. Firstly, they obviously would not be thrilled that their terrain has been invaded by a tyrannical ruling outside force. It's sort of naturist vs. modernist, environmentalism vs. industrialization, pure vs. impure. Joining with the Rebellion would help them remove the outsiders, the enemy of my enemy is my friend. But also don't forget that C-3PO played a crucial role in the negotiations, not to mention the fact that they believe he was a deity. Considering that, they'd be much more susceptible to suggestion and aiding our heroes.

I was discussing recently with a friend how most seem to deem the Ewoks the low-point in the OT. While I would agree with that, I don't think they're that bad either. I can roll with them so long as, admittedly, I make a few excuses up. There's been a number of arguments defending how the Ewoks won the ground battle over the years. One age old one is that it's their land. I know, in many ways, the theme was supposed to basically reflect Vietcong war tactics against an altogether more advanced and on paper superior force; the U.S. military. They do have the environmental advantage. Two things I've never seen mentioned often or if at all are, well, I also believe the Empire was so arrogant they didn't really concern themselves with the surrounding lifeforms. They were deemed inferior and likely didn't really attempt to acquire much knowledge on them. But then some other issues dealing with the hubris of the Imperial army may be, well, look at what they brought to Endor. I've always thought to myself, having a speeder bike on an incredibly dense and thickly forested planet seems borderline suicidal and a poor use of the vehicle. It's capabilities would be rather limited in that terrain, making it almost as deadly to the driver as to its opponent. Then walkers...again...on an immensely forested planet also seem like a questionable choice. Half the time I'd think trees would get in its way, how exactly can you effectively navigate that landscape in one for maximum efficiency? But then lastly, elements like the Ewok traps, catapults, glider, etc...do have a potential explanation for existing. McQuarrie created concept art for this absolutely enormous and monstrous creature on Endor called the Gorax. This creature fed on Ewoks, hence why they lived so high up in the trees, so this would explain why they're seemingly prepared for the walkers and also familiar with some battle tactics and strategies. Perhaps the traps were already there to fight off Gorax and just re-purposed to fight the Empire.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is SO wrong it's untrue. Learn your history about the affordability of being unable to cinematically realise Kashyyyk until 2005. Sure there was merchandise but in this case the cart wasn't put before the horse - the horse just couldn't be done yet.
I said it "seems like this was an influencing factor", which it does. :p LOL

re: "learn your history", you are talkin about the Leaonard Maltin interview on the 1990's VHS tapes where GL tells us "I Flipped it" -- "big became small, wook-ee became 'ee-wook'", etc -- he says, there was not enough money to shoot this with wookies, because wookiees are so expensive to realise on screen, so instead he created Ewoks to stand in their place... but that still doesn't explain: (a) why he used "teddy bears", of all things, as the replacement for wookiees -- in that same set of interviews he states that his ultimate goal was to depict a primitive fighting force taking on a technologically advanced force "like the Viet Kong" -- so why not use humanoids instead of wookiees to depict the geurilla soldiers then, like Saw's band-of-misfit-soldiers in RO? was it because ACTUAL "guerilla soldiers" in rag-tag costumes don't look "cute" enough on a store shelf? again, it "seems like" merchandise WAS an influencing factor, in the choice of "teddy-bears"-to-depict-guerilla-soldiers (because otherwise, "teddy bears" would NOT be a logical choice to depict "guerilla soldiers", AT ALL :p LOL); and (b) it doesn't explain why the ewok battle ITSELF was shot on such a shoestring budget, to the point where it looks so shockingly BAD, compared to the battle of Hoth... the production quality of the Ewok Battle is cheap and campy and ridiculous... in the cold gray light of dawn, GL's "money" reason seems irrelevant: he SAYS he was afraid that a wookiee battle would suffer from a shoestring budget, and yet, I can't imagine ANY wookie-battle looking any worse than the ewok battle he ended up with. (how much money did he possibly save?? is "long-hair" really that expensive, compared to "short-hair"?? this argument doesn't hold water, given the quality of what we actually saw on screen -- shooting with ewoks instead of wookiees, was NOT inherently cheaper, that much is obvious). I mean, it's not like he replaced wookiees, with some kind of animated creature that was inherently cheaper to realize on screen -- he replaced "humans-in-fur-suits", with "smaller-humans-in-fur-suits" (and cited "money" as a reason, like this makes any sense).

^^ we have to take these interviews with a grain of salt. in that same set of interviews he ALSO tells us, that he couldn't shoot SW'77 the way he wanted, due to lack of funds..... so what did he do...? he came back years later with an unlimited budget to insert "jawas-on-rhontos"(?) and "Maclunkey"(??)... in the cold gray light of dawn, GL's "money" reason seems irrelevant -- if we take GL's words at face value, we are led to believe, that (a) "Maclunkey" WAS his original intention for SW'77, and (b) GL simply didn't have enough "money" to insert this line the first time. it's nonsense.

Last edited:
Reaction score
as "originally conceived" the wookies were being used as slave labor to build the death star; their planet was being depleted of its iron core to provide raw materials to build the death star; they had "skin in the game" and a REASON to fight the empire. (actually 2 reasons: the slavery subplot and the environment sublot). when GL changed wook-ee to ee-wook, he forgot to include their MOTIVATION in the story. as it stands, there is absolutely no reason for the man-eating ewoks to help the rebellion, besides *[bongo drums]* "..we are now a part of the tribe". it doesn't make any sense.
Well, the Empire invaded their planet, so maybe in Ewok culture that's a cause for a cannibalistic genocidal war.

Reaction score
Well the end of the day, George has been basically outright proven to be someone who...bends the truth to his liking. I mean, you can't make a claim that these are your original vision...and then KEEP changing it. Only ONE can be the "original vision," after all. Yet there are now four cuts of the SW OT; Unaltered original theatrical release, Special Edition release, DVD release, and Blu-Ray release. The Greedo scene in and of itself specifically has four versions now. Multiple people have ousted Lucas for basically exaggerating or essentially lying. Things even just make more sense that way, aspects like how Luke and Leia are suddenly siblings seemed so tacked on. Yet that was always conceived? Pssh! Please! There's the fact that Vader really is just a big generic lackey, albeit an awesome one, in ANH. You mean to tell me he was ALWAYS the central theme character of the story? Yet again, pssh! Please! And I do absolutely agree with the sentiment that just because, perhaps, Wookiee costumes or tall actors were too expensive to mass produce and hire doesn't inherently translate to, well, we have to do teddy bears now. I think it's selective ignorance if you truly think he was STUCK making teddy bear aliens at that point. He could have made any number of primitive alien being! He chose one based off the most beloved and iconic plush toy of all-time. So no...I think it's blatant that Ewoks were, at least in ways, motivated by merchandising potential.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It works for Ewoks, yes.

I remain extremely sceptical regarding the use of Star Destroyer-traversing Space Horses, however.
I'm doing my best to wait until I see the finished product, but I'm still sceptical as well.

Reaction score
Deleted: couldn't get spoiler tags to work and this would have potentially ruined a big TROS reveal

Reaction score
Got a link? (Not that we allegedly don't know it all already...…)
I'd like a link as well or a PM. Like DarthSatan said, we might already know and even if I haven't heard this one yet, it won't ruin anything for me.

Reaction score
Most of the EU/Legends stuff was and is garbage. Not saying what Disney has come out with (especially TLJ) has been great but seriously the big EU moment was when vegetable monsters from outer space arrived and killed Chewbacca with a moon (or some **** like that). You can't say that it's unoriginal to have the son of Solo or offspring of Skywalker in these new movies but at the same time wish for Jacen, Jaina, Ben etc.
Gah.... I just can't let a statement like this go....

We need to stop the narrative that the EU/Legends material was all Garbage. 90% of what is in the current ST is either a direct ripoff of the OT or directly from the EU.

I'll give you the fact that there were some books that were written that just weren't that great. There was a lot of Kiddie Lit like the Jedi Apprentice, Jedi Prince, Jedi Quest, Last of the Jedi, Junior Jedi Knights or Young Jedi Knights series or the Galaxy of Fear and Star Wars Adventures (Scholastic) series. I can't say I read all of that, but there was a lot.
If you take the worst of the more adult EU like the infamous Crystal Star, Children of the Jedi, Planet of Twilight, or The New Rebellion you certainly can get bogged down in side stories that were never that compelling.

I can tell you that following the best of the EU you have dozens of books that enhance and expand the universe and make for some amazing stories. I realize that the majority of it has been overwritten by current canon... but i'd assert that the new canon books like Aftermath are much worse as is the story that is currently being told by the movies. I'll take the 'vegetable monsters' anyday. (Organic does not just apply to carrots btw)

Reaction score
We need to stop the narrative that the EU/Legends material was all Garbage...... 90% of what is in the current ST is either a direct ripoff of the OT or directly from the EU.
So you're saying the garbage bit of the ST is from the EU? So it therefore was largely garbage then?

True.

Reaction score
So you're saying the garbage bit of the ST is from the EU? So it therefore was largely garbage then?
True.
Interesting take on what I said. :unsure:

The garbage bits of the ST are a combination of lazy writing, poor execution, and not understanding the characters or Star Wars in general.
They borrowed the prodigy gone bad from the EU... which I doubt most would say Kylo Ren is the reason the ST is garbage.
They borrowed Leia having force powers... which was not bad, but was executed in the most ridiculous way possible.
They borrowed the Jedi Academy idea ... which just makes sense but then they blew it all up which was not part of the EU.
They borrowed Luke being exiled... but then made him a quitter instead of him searching for answers to the force.

I could go on, but the EU parts are solid... they were turned to garbage.

Reaction score
Hold on...so you are going to say that the ST needed to look at the EU for inspiration to tell a story about Solo/Skywalker offspring? Or Leia having Jedi powers?

You are kidding right?

Those plot points were basically written into the ending of the OT. The massively creative EU authors weren't breaking any ground by introducing the children of the OT heroes or Leia being a Jedi.

I'm sure JJ Abrams was sitting there saying to himself "**** what are these movies going to be about...? Ah ha the good old Legend stories gave Han and Leia KIDS! With the Force! One turns bad!"

The general plot points were written automatically as the OT ended and the common family thread was bolstered even further with the PT.

Admittedly I didn't know about any Luke being exiled story from the EU but it sounds just as stupid as it was in the movie.

Edit: just want to add - I really enjoyed the KOTOR games. The Darth Bane Trilogy of novels are fantastic and I re-read them once a year.

Edit

Last edited:
Reaction score
Got a link? (Not that we allegedly don't know it all already...…)
I'd like a link as well or a PM. Like DarthSatan said, we might already know and even if I haven't heard this one yet, it won't ruin anything for me.
  Spoiler:  
Apparently some behind the scenes photos have surfaced of Warwick in an Ewok costume. The phot on was on r/starwarsleaks but it seems to have been removed

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't know, for me, the old EU (Legends now) was very hit or miss. I think there were some fantastic books/comics/games. I always enjoyed the Thrawn trilogy, I like the original clone wars dark horse comics far more than what's official clone wars now, I adored Shadows of the Empire and am still longing to see Xizor make a canonical return in some sort of way, I was utterly addicted to the Dark Forces video game franchise and would love Kyle Katarn to also make a canonical return, and my absolute favorites where the SW tales books. It;s just that...well...for even good one, I thought there were two utterly terrible. Chewbacca killed by a moon? The Vong not feeling REMOTELY SW. Ugh!

But at this rate...I think I'd rather what the EU lore did than what we got with the ST. And it's a shame as, I really did think TFA was a decent starting off point.

Reaction score
I don't know, for me, the old EU (Legends now) was very hit or miss. I think there were some fantastic books/comics/games. I always enjoyed the Thrawn trilogy, I like the original clone wars dark horse comics far more than what's official clone wars now, I adored Shadows of the Empire and am still longing to see Xizor make a canonical return in some sort of way, I was utterly addicted to the Dark Forces video game franchise and would love Kyle Katarn to also make a canonical return, and my absolute favorites where the SW tales books. It;s just that...well...for even good one, I thought there were two utterly terrible. Chewbacca killed by a moon? The Vong not feeling REMOTELY SW. Ugh!

But at this rate...I think I'd rather what the EU lore did than what we got with the ST. And it's a shame as, I really did think TFA was a decent starting off point.
TFA was a good starting point...but we do have a potential fitting end debuting in 2 weeks. I'm hopeful TROS does enough good to salvage this thing.

Reaction score
TFA was a good starting point...but we do have a potential fitting end debuting in 2 weeks. I'm hopeful TROS does enough good to salvage this thing.
It is...possible. But I'm not sure how much faith I have. I'm trying to remain optimistic, but it's not been easy. See I came out of all the trailers thinking "Well, that LOOKS much better," but that creeping and lingering thought kept popping in my brain, "Looks better doesn't mean will be better." I've said from day one, the one thing this film can do to make me utterly loathe it...is have Palpatine be just literally alive. He just survived the fall, the reactor, and the explosion. He's not a ghost or demonic spirit, he's not a clone, he's just alive. That would be one of the most utterly stupid and lazy things to have ever happened to SW. And from all that has been release now, quite a lot, it seem like that WILL be the case. He is just alive. So help me God, if he's like in some life support mech or something and managed to endure what happened to him in ROTJ, I'll want to walk out.

Reaction score
It is...possible. But I'm not sure how much faith I have. I'm trying to remain optimistic, but it's not been easy. See I came out of all the trailers thinking "Well, that LOOKS much better," but that creeping and lingering thought kept popping in my brain, "Looks better doesn't mean will be better." I've said from day one, the one thing this film can do to make me utterly loathe it...is have Palpatine be just literally alive. He just survived the fall, the reactor, and the explosion. He's not a ghost or demonic spirit, he's not a clone, he's just alive. That would be one of the most utterly stupid and lazy things to have ever happened to SW. And from all that has been release now, quite a lot, it seem like that WILL be the case. He is just alive. So help me God, if he's like in some life support mech or something and managed to endure what happened to him in ROTJ, I'll want to walk out.
Don’t even walk in brother.

JVM

Reaction score
Don't forget that Lucas had an outline for the ST story, that Disney ignored.
Now, in a thread about the Disney films, we're back to talking about George Lucas, midichlorians, ewoks and Return of the Jedi, all over again. Business as usual in Star Wars fandom. Conversations like this make me wish the franchise had ended at the first two films, which would rob me most of all.

Yeah, I knew about Lucas' outlines. Tat's beside the point of the message I was trying to convey. Lucas' outlines still were "never going to be an adaption of an existing novel though; even the later expanded universe was so heavily built on the earlier works that making a film with an older original cast and Jacen, Jaina, Anakin and Ben would have still required a different story, not words lifted from a page." as I said. before.

It's not a question of Lucas or Disney or Fox or media companies or creators, this was never going to be a case of closely adapting an existing source material.

Reaction score
Now granted i haven't finished the new game, Fallen Jedi. But it occurred to me that so far it's a compelling story, and IMO, would have made a decent movie.

Reaction score
Well I wouldn't even bother buying a ticket if that's your stance. You'll be out of the theater 16 minutes into the movie if you plan on walking out when it's revealed Sidious is alive.

Personally I'm 100% and completely fine with Sidious being 100% and completely alive. Considering what we know from the PT and current canon (and not assume based on unproven and unresolved parts from ROTJ) about Sidious why wouldn't he be alive? He's been proven to be extremely cunning, conniving and manipulative. He may have unlocked the secret to immortality. He has multiple contingency plans in place in the event of his sudden death/disappearance. We also know that the DS II didn't evaporate upon destruction (despite what it looked like at the end of ROTJ) because parts it appear to be in tact in the TROS trailers... discounting the thought that Sidious was basically evaporated.

What we don't know: what happened to him as he fell down the reactor shaft.

Now take away the mental gymnastics I just did to justify that he is actually alive...at this point in the ST you are either buying what they are selling or not. I choose to "buy" TFA and hope that TROS is a capable sequel that connects some dots and ends the Saga with some fan friendly moments and dignity. If your thought process going into it is that it's an unsalvageable mess that is fine - just accept the fact that the ST isn't your cup of tea.

If TROS ends up a dumpster fire like TLJ (and let's be honest that is nearly impossible) I'll accept the story as the OT/PT/TFA and that is where the Saga ends.

Reaction score
Now granted i haven't finished the new game, Fallen Jedi. But it occurred to me that so far it's a compelling story, and IMO, would have made a decent movie.
Agreed. I finished the story and it was certainly cinematic and well done. Not having a sequel would be a shame.

Reaction score
  Spoiler:  
Apparently some behind the scenes photos have surfaced of Warwick in an Ewok costume. The phot on was on r/starwarsleaks but it seems to have been removed

Thanks for the info. I remember seeing that, but first assumed it was old footage. Then a second viewing made me think twice. I guess we'll see soon enough.

Reaction score
Hold on...so you are going to say that the ST needed to look at the EU for inspiration to tell a story about Solo/Skywalker offspring? Or Leia having Jedi powers?
You are kidding right?
Those plot points were basically written into the ending of the OT. The massively creative EU authors weren't breaking any ground by introducing the children of the OT heroes or Leia being a Jedi.
I'm sure JJ Abrams was sitting there saying to himself "**** what are these movies going to be about...? Ah ha the good old Legend stories gave Han and Leia KIDS! With the Force! One turns bad!"
The general plot points were written automatically as the OT ended and the common family thread was bolstered even further with the PT.
Admittedly I didn't know about any Luke being exiled story from the EU but it sounds just as stupid as it was in the movie.
Edit: just want to add - I really enjoyed the KOTOR games. The Darth Bane Trilogy of novels are fantastic and I re-read them once a year.
I'm not certain what post you are referencing, but I didn't say the ST needed to look at the EU for inspiration.... I said the ST absolutely copied most of it's story from the OT and the EU. This is not a guess, it is fact. The execution of that copy paste job was what has made this trilogy painful.

They cleared out the EU and could literally have done anything and yet here we are. The EU was unequivocally better than what we got including the Yuuzhan Vong and I don't really care if others share that opinion. Wait until we see the Cloned Emperor and Dark Rey and the Katana Fleet and C-3PX in TROS...

Reaction score
I'm not certain what post you are referencing, but I didn't say the ST needed to look at the EU for inspiration.... I said the ST absolutely copied most of it's story from the OT and the EU. This is not a guess, it is fact. The execution of that copy paste job was what has made this trilogy painful.

They cleared out the EU and could literally have done anything and yet here we are. The EU was unequivocally better than what we got including the Yuuzhan Vong and I don't really care if others share that opinion. Wait until we see the Cloned Emperor and Dark Rey and the Katana Fleet and C-3PX in TROS...
I was referencing the post where you listed things that happened in the ST that you felt were "stolen" or borrowed from the EU. My point is you are putting way to much stock into the EU stories. Without ever cracking open an EU novel (or if there was never an EU at all) the main characters having children and struggling with the dark side was obvious and natural progression of the Saga. The ST film makers didn't need to look to a defunct library of stories for that inspiration. It was baked into the ending of the OT and solidified with the PT. We all knew back '83 that the way the story would continue (if it ever did) was Han and Leia would have offspring and Luke would restart the Jedi Order. That was all automatic. The EU (aka non-canon junk) wasn't some creative wellspring that wrote the basis for the ST.

Quite frankly what the ST did with those obvious and staple ideas is infinitely more interesting that anything that came out of the (never canon to begin with) EU...and that includes TLJ.

Reaction score
I was referencing the post where you listed things that happened in the ST that you felt were "stolen" or borrowed from the EU. My point is you are putting way to much stock into the EU stories. Without ever cracking open an EU novel (or if there was never an EU at all) the main characters having children and struggling with the dark side was obvious and natural progression of the Saga. The ST film makers didn't need to look to a defunct library of stories for that inspiration. It was baked into the ending of the OT and solidified with the PT. We all knew back '83 that the way the story would continue (if it ever did) was Han and Leia would have offspring and Luke would restart the Jedi Order. That was all automatic. The EU (aka non-canon junk) wasn't some creative wellspring that wrote the basis for the ST.

Quite frankly what the ST did with those obvious and staple ideas is infinitely more interesting that anything that came out of the (never canon to begin with) EU...and that includes TLJ.
Wow... what did the EU do to you? I've seen you decry TLJ as filth below filth and somehow the EU sneaks under that for you?

Clearly it's not too difficult to imagine Han and Leia having kids and Luke starting the Jedi order. Someone did, in fact, imagine that and put it down on paper many times over many years. It doesn't matter whether JJ ever read the New Jedi Order. Since none of the Lucasbooks authors own any of that material there won't be a lawsuit about ideas being stolen. Your point is that you didn't like the EU I guess. We can agree to disagree. I honestly hope to never hear the word 'canon' ever again. Darth Bane has a great story. I just happen to think there are a number of characters that similarly have a great story.

Reaction score
Wow... what did the EU do to you? I've seen you decry TLJ as filth below filth and somehow the EU sneaks under that for you?

Clearly it's not too difficult to imagine Han and Leia having kids and Luke starting the Jedi order. Someone did, in fact, imagine that and put it down on paper many times over many years. It doesn't matter whether JJ ever read the New Jedi Order. Since none of the Lucasbooks authors own any of that material there won't be a lawsuit about ideas being stolen. Your point is that you didn't like the EU I guess. We can agree to disagree. I honestly hope to never hear the word 'canon' ever again. Darth Bane has a great story. I just happen to think there are a number of characters that similarly have a great story.
We can agree that the EU Bane Trilogy is fantastic. Bane is also a canon character created by Lucas before TPM and further fleshed out (briefly) in the CW cartoon.

Reaction score
Get prepared to loathe it. I am already there. It’s even worse than you can imagine.

Reaction score
Maybe it's all just diversion tactics, and once we see the movie it will be totally different and perhaps the best one of he three?

Reaction score
My inside info is rock solid. I don’t want to give anything away but let’s just say the Emperor is back and is back for a very specific reason. That reason is enough for me to never go see it ever. Others can judge for themselves as they should. They are very worried about the reception of this movie. So much I can say the rumors that got out are true about the multiple tweaking of the film especially the ending. I have not seen the finished product or have no idea what will be edited in or out of the movie but I know what was filmed for certain sections. Polly don’t like that cracker!