Major scores on auction sites or garage sales.

Reaction score
Great stories!! It's really great when people who actually collect the stuff find the goods!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
In general, most of my figures were fairly inexpensive because I started collecting in the early 90's. But here are some highlights:

Blue Snaggletooth - flea market $10
MOC ESB Lando - flea market $25
Poncho Luke - thrift shop $5
Flesh plastic/painted hair Jedi Luke - antique mall $15
Barada - flea market $1

My absolute favorite deal was in 1998. I found a guy online, through the classified section of Tomart's website, trading MOC Star Wars figures for Beanie Babies (for his wife). I didn't collect Beanies, but I knew of a flea market where I could get them for about half of the current (at the time) market value. I was able to get $100 worth of Beanies for $50 and traded it for a nice MOC Jedi Luke. I still have it. I have to imagine that guy was kicking himself after the Beanie Baby crash.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Here is part of what got me back into collecting. I had a co worker who had an aunt that was having an estate sale. I was getting a sneak peek at the stuff by her texting me pics. Nothing was really jumping out at me and then she sent some pics of some Star Wars toys. I wasn't really sure if it was vintage stuff or not. She told me her aunt would keep the Star Wars stuff in the house until I got there so I could look at it. Good to have connections ya know!! When I arrived I went right inside to check the goods out. It was a couple vintage millenium falcons(not 100% complete), some loose vintage figures and a baggie full of weapons. Also had some ROTJ figures still on the card. A box of newer figures(nothing real valuable) and some assorted stuff. $200 for the works. I planned on selling the stuff at first but I ended up selling nothing. That is what got me back into collecting. Many dollars later I am still going strong.

Reaction score
Here is part of what got me back into collecting. I had a co worker who had an aunt that was having an estate sale. I was getting a sneak peek at the stuff by her texting me pics. Nothing was really jumping out at me and then she sent some pics of some Star Wars toys. I wasn't really sure if it was vintage stuff or not. She told me her aunt would keep the Star Wars stuff in the house until I got there so I could look at it. Good to have connections ya know!! When I arrived I went right inside to check the goods out. It was a couple vintage millenium falcons(not 100% complete), some loose vintage figures and a baggie full of weapons. Also had some ROTJ figures still on the card. A box of newer figures(nothing real valuable) and some assorted stuff. $200 for the works. I planned on selling the stuff at first but I ended up selling nothing. That is what got me back into collecting. Many dollars later I am still going strong.

Those carded must've been stored away in a dark closet at the optimal temperature. Nice and clear!

Dax

Reaction score
Those carded must've been stored away in a dark closet at the optimal temperature. Nice and clear!
Err, you mean except for the yellow bubbles on the B-Wing Pilot, Prune Face, Bib Fortuna and the Leia? The Tusken is very nice and I'm guessing Mr Piggy Guard is possibly a Made in Mexico figure.

Still a great story and a wonderful way to start a collection!

Reaction score
This was a fun pick up couple years back! Facebook Marketplace showed one case filled with figures...asked the common question "anything else"... and she said yes! Sweet older lady about an hour from me. What was wild, my first attempt to drive there I hit horrible weather and had to turn around. I expected her to sell these, as others were messaging her. But she kept her word and held until I could make it!

A bit of excitement as I was about to leave - she told me she had several of "these guys" still on card. 😯 Sadly, it didn't pan out as she discovered her daughter had sold them at a garage sale two years prior - oooof!

Screenshot_20220414-105149_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20220414-105155_Instagram.jpg

Reaction score
That's a lot of collection purchases, I'm guessing with such a large volume of figures that you resell what you don't keep?

Reaction score
Err, you mean except for the yellow bubbles on the B-Wing Pilot, Prune Face, Bib Fortuna and the Leia? The Tusken is very nice and I'm guessing Mr Piggy Guard is possibly a Made in Mexico figure.

Yeah the bubbles aren't great, but still pretty cool. I checked Mr. Piggy and he is in fact made in Mexico, good call!!

Reactions: Dax
Reaction score

Wow. Yeah . . . did not zoom on the photo and it was late . . . now you see why I refrain from posting that often . . . ?

Dax

Reaction score
Wow. Yeah . . . did not zoom on the photo and it was late . . . now you see why I refrain from posting that often . . . ?
Lol, all good mate, just good naturedly taking the piss with no offence intended :)

In your defence, they still look like great items and it's not like they are dark yellow, just a tinge of vintage patina to them :)

Tommy_Garvey

Reaction score
I found an Amanaman figure at a thrift store once, sitting in a box filled with McDonalds toys and Clone Wars stuff. It was 60 cents. Man, I tore that store apart looking for other vintage pieces, but I think someone else had gotten there first. But they missed one. And it worked out for me, since I needed that figure. :)

Tommy

Reaction score
I figured it was good natured ribbing coming from you, Dax. I just could not believe I flubbed that that badly. I usually can see the wear or paint damage on figures in the tiny little previews in eBay Save Searches emails!

My curse is my eyes. So, so many things that people call like new, mint or near mint and I just cringe.

But, yeah, I just saw the Leia and those can be hard to come by clear, specifically, for some reason. Heck, Return of the Jedi in general.

Reaction score
I am absolutely loving this thread - great stories!

I've not found any vintage Kenner in the wild in such deals, it's all been modern (POTF2, Clone Wars/Legacy Collection Era), but I did get 2 of the Legacy BMFs for $110 total a couple of years back and put together a 95% complete one. Every time I find vintage it's at a place that has it wayyyyy overpriced, like an incomplete Bespin Han beater that is marked $30 just because it's Star Wars.

I'm currently working on a friend that has a bunch of his childhood Kenner, including an AT-AT complete in box at the moment. His wife wants him to sell all of it, he's hesitant, but if he does he wants it to go to a collector, so it will be me. It's just a matter of when.

Reaction score
I was at a flea market and this one dealer had a bunch of newer star wars stuff from the 1990's I asked him if he had any older Star Wars stuff and he pulled out the original Star wars mail away stand for the first 12 figures. The stand looked brand new and it included the mailing box. i aksed him how much and he told me $25. I gladly purchased it and it is in my collection with all of my loose figures.

Reaction score
I had major 'deal' that never happened, but then again, I was younger. I was at a garage sale with my family back in the mid/later 80's. We were there very early, as my parents always liked to do. 'If you're not there early all that is left is picked over and garbage.'

They had a lot of Star Wars stuff — Slave I, err Firespray Gunship, the Millennium Falcon, tons of playsets and a lot of beasts and figures. A lot of it looked sparkly new! And they had them all for very cheap. It seemed they just wanted to get something for it rather than just thow it out. And I wanted it all. I begged, I pleaded, I even said I would pay for it. They would not let me get a single thing.

To do this day I wonder what might've been.

Non-Star Wars related, I was also at a garage sale in the later 90's where an older guy had tons and tons of sports cards. Boxes and boxes on multiple tables, selling them all individually. He had a lot of 80's and earlier cards, all the rookies and star cards included. He said he just wanted to get rid of them and not have to have his children have to deal with it all. He was selling them for cheap. Something like 20 for $5. I kept telling him that this card was worth this and this card was worth that — he said 'no , they are not worth that much.' 'I do not want to be bothered with them any more.' 'I will make enough off of them selling it like this.' Unfortunately, I was pressed for time, and did not have much money on me at the time. I got like $400-500 in cards, book value, for like $10! I went back not long after, with money, and they were all gone!

Maybe there ought to be a thread "Major scores and deals that nearly happened or did not happen"?

Last edited:

Tommy_Garvey

Reaction score
Best auction site score I can think of (aside from the $1 Vlix) wasn't mine, sadly. It was when the Luke Stormtrooper hardcopy prototype randomly showed up on eBay, back in the early days of the platform. Everyone overlooked it and it sold for... I want to say $700? Which even then was a VERY good deal. At the time, that would have been like 60% off, and now MUCH, MUCH more, obviously.

Tommy

Reaction score
In my ongoing "scores" throughout the years....in 2020 I won this lot on eBay featuring gorgeous figures. But the mega win was the Red Bar R5D4 that was hanging out.
Don't they all have red? Or are most of them orange or something?

Reaction score
Someday maybe I'll collect me a binder full of specifically nostalgic cardbacks.

I wonder if I accidentally sold a red bar D5 back in my great cleanout.

One good find of mine was a friend who was running a fundraiser by selling donated items. Long story short he sold me a $50 lot of vintage SW stuff. A vader head full of beater figures, a red "The Force" lightsaber, and a beatup 12" Boba Fett and IG-88. This woulda been circa 2010.

Reaction score
I had major 'deal' that never happened, but then again, I was younger. I was at a garage sale with my family back in the mid/later 80's. We were there very early, as my parents always liked to do. 'If you're not there early all that is left is picked over and garbage.'

Non-Star Wars related, I was also at a garage sale in the later 90's where an older guy had tons and tons of sports cards. <snip> Unfortunately, I was pressed for time, and did not have much money on me at the time. I got like $400-500 in cards, book value, for like $10! I went back not long after, with money, and they were all gone!

Maybe there ought to be a thread "Major scores and deals that nearly happened or did not happen"?

Of course this idiot does not pay attention and is forgetful! My how I lament my declining cognitive function!

A Thread That Already Exists!
(Vintage Star Wars item(s) or deals, you regret not pulling the trigger on?)

Reaction score
Impressive, most impressive.
Not sure if it counts since I do not remember how I contact this person or he contact me.

Anyway, he was selling some SW figures in a lot. Some carded, some figures sealed, but card was cut off.
Mostly ROTJ, but a couple of ESB.

Pretty good deal since I bought all, and this was before POTF2 came out in 1995.

Tempted to see how much worth now.

Thank you.

Reaction score
While I have zero proof, I am on record here in some buried thread showing, that I purchased a modern lot for less than 20 shipped that had a pop up POTF R2 complete along with 10 or so new figures. Gave the figures to my son and kept R2

Reaction score
While I have zero proof, I am on record here in some buried thread showing, that I purchased a modern lot for less than 20 shipped that had a pop up POTF R2 complete along with 10 or so new figures. Gave the figures to my son and kept R2
I believe you! On eBay right now there’s a Vader head full of POTF2 figures that includes about a half dozen vintage figures including one member of the last 17.

Reaction score
About 12 years ago i saw an Ebay listing on Ebay australia for a loose naked speckled Jawa like the one that is most commenly known to wear the Toltoys vinyl cape listed simply as a Jawa. I immediatly started looking at the sellers other listings and he had hundreds of items, mostly thriftstore crap and household items but only a handfull of toy related listings.
There was one lot that had a POTF2 Jabba and some figures and accesoires from vintage and modern SW and different toylines.
The seller had put minimal effort in his pictures basically dumping everyting into a pile kind of spread out, grainy pictures, hard to zoom in but to my surprise i saw a tiny crumpled up piece of torn red plastic hiding in the lot.
I did not win the bidding for the Jawa, it ended up selling for $200 but the lot with the cape was mine for only $24 aus and around $25 aus for the shipping. I found out later here on RS the buyer of the Jawa had actually seen the cape in the other lot but was only looking to upgrade his figure so whoever you are big thanks to you!
It took me a while to figure out where to get a jawa to match the cape but it turned out they can be found much cheaper and closer to my home if you know how to spot them so i ended up paying around $45 for one of my most prized possessions, a Toltoys vc Jawa :)

Reaction score
About 12 years ago i saw an Ebay listing on Ebay australia for a loose naked speckled Jawa like the one that is most commenly known to wear the Toltoys vinyl cape listed simply as a Jawa. I immediatly started looking at the sellers other listings and he had hundreds of items, mostly thriftstore crap and household items but only a handfull of toy related listings.
There was one lot that had a POTF2 Jabba and some figures and accesoires from vintage and modern SW and different toylines.
The seller had put minimal effort in his pictures basically dumping everyting into a pile kind of spread out, grainy pictures, hard to zoom in but to my surprise i saw a tiny crumpled up piece of torn red plastic hiding in the lot.
I did not win the bidding for the Jawa, it ended up selling for $200 but the lot with the cape was mine for only $24 aus and around $25 aus for the shipping. I found out later here on RS the buyer of the Jawa had actually seen the cape in the other lot but was only looking to upgrade his figure so whoever you are big thanks to you!
It took me a while to figure out where to get a jawa to match the cape but it turned out they can be found much cheaper and closer to my home if you know how to spot them so i ended up paying around $45 for one of my most prized possessions, a Toltoys vc Jawa :)

That's a neat find! Good eyes you've got as well, I probably would have skipped right over that if I was in a similar situation. Do you have a photo of it?

Reaction score
That's a neat find! Good eyes you've got as well, I probably would have skipped right over that if I was in a similar situation. Do you have a photo of it?
Unfortunately no pics of the original eBay listing but here he is in his current condition on the left. Warning for the purists and investment collectors the cape was torn so bad that it displayed like a turd in a red blanket so I used some vinyl weld to repair the damage :)
The Jawa on the right side also deserves a mention in this thread it was listed on eBay Australia as a reproduction vc Jawa for an entire week together with a smooth cape jawa for $28,95. The seller had done her research on regular vinyl cape Jawas and thanks to the red colour of the cape combined with the small eyes on the unitoy figure she had come to the conclusion that it must be a cut down ben kenobi cape. The ripped armholes made me think differently and sure enough it turned out to be my second Toltoys vc Jawa, the seller even included a bonus capeless jawa because she liked the Jawa related email adress i use for my Paypal account.IMG_20220617_180449~2.jpg

Reaction score
Unfortunately no pics of the original eBay listing but here he is in his current condition on the left. Warning for the purists and investment collectors the cape was torn so bad that it displayed like a turd in a red blanket so I used some vinyl weld to repair the damage :)
The Jawa on the right side also deserves a mention in this thread it was listed on eBay Australia as a reproduction vc Jawa for an entire week together with a smooth cape jawa for $28,95. The seller had done her research on regular vinyl cape Jawas and thanks to the red colour of the cape combined with the small eyes on the unitoy figure she had come to the conclusion that it must be a cut down ben kenobi cape. The ripped armholes made me think differently and sure enough it turned out to be my second Toltoys vc Jawa, the seller even included a bonus capeless jawa because she liked the Jawa related email adress i use for my Paypal account.View attachment 425349

Dang... That is really, really cool to see

Reaction score
So, not toy related, but I went to an estate sale back in December. It looked like someone used to sell sports cards. I noticed a bunch of plastic boxes that appeared to have Star Wars series sets in them. There was no prices and the person running the sale was being a pain, but when I asked how much they were, she said $1 a box. I hurried over as did everyone else in the room. We snapped up as many as we could. She immediately changed the price to $5 per set. I wound up with 68 sets, about 60% had all the stickers. I also got a 5000 count box of Star Wars, a 3200 count box of empire sets, a 3200 count box of Star Wars, a 600 count box of ESB series 3 as well as a box of ROTJ. There were a lot of other non sports I picked up like ET and Close Encounters sets. I missed the cheap unopened boxes of Star Wars.