QUESTION Luke Stormtrooper Black blaster

Reaction score
Anyone have a picture of a true black blaster? I have what I thought was one, but was told it's not the correct one.

Reaction score
Over the years, my imperial blasters have gotten mixed up. A few months ago, I decided to match up all weapons to the appropriate figures.

The ONLY way I could discern the correct Luke Stormtrooper blaster was to compare it to my Droids Kez-Iban figure. I knew that figure had the correct true black blaster (same as the Luke Stormtrooper) and I compared all the other imperial blasters to that weapon until I found the Luke Stormtrooper weapon.

I know this may be on the technical side, but all of the Imperial Blaster weapons reflect light in some way. The Luke Stormtrooper is so black and has a flat finish that it does not reflect light at all. And it's really hard to compare to a photograph.

You have to compare against a known example. Some of the really dark blue ones looked black to me until I compared against the Kez-Iban weapon.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have been to TIG and compared it to the one I have. I guess I will try to compare it to kez. Thanks

Reaction score
I wonder how similar the vintage Luke stormtrooper blasters are to the new Retro collection black blasters, like the ones packed w/ stormtrooper, Tarkin and Boba Fett?

Reaction score
The problem is today people are exceptionally picky with blasters and the like, and if it is not matched correctly watch out LOL.
But you cannot mistake the black ones. They are essentially black.
I concede defeat. I'm just gonna buy bulk lots of repro weapons to finish restoring my collection. Buying repros is the only way to know I'm getting what I am paying for. On the other hand, I don't want to encourage people to MAKE repros. So I'll have to find big lots of used ones I guess.

Reaction score
I've recently had this problem. After comparing other blasters with my Luke Stormy, (bought on Ebay years ago), I determined it's just a very dark blue/black blaster. I'm not surprised I was duped but now I'm searching for a black one!

Reaction score
Is it the same mould? Just straight black. Like when you hold it up on a flashlight you can't see thru it? No translucency.

Reaction score
Anyone have a picture of a true black blaster? I have what I thought was one, but was told it's not the correct one.
basically if youre buying a black blaster from a reputable dealer and it looks black, they will tell you its black...if you try to ever sell it you will 100 % for sure be told it is not "true" black or some BS and they will give you less for it. I had one that was black as night no hint of blue and no translucency and bought from a reputable seller and had to take the non-black price.

Truly, I don't believe its worth it to pay for a true black because buyers and sellers never agree on it and its not like this figure never came with a dark blue blaster as TIG has seen examples of sealed tri-logos with dark blues, so either one is correct. Just like Yak is correct with or without a staff because he came both ways.

Add to that the incentive for repros and continually improving quality, makes no sense to pay a premium for a certain color accessory, may as well buy a black repro yourself if you might get passed one anyway AND pay the premium

Reaction score
I concede defeat. I'm just gonna buy bulk lots of repro weapons to finish restoring my collection. Buying repros is the only way to know I'm getting what I am paying for. On the other hand, I don't want to encourage people to MAKE repros. So I'll have to find big lots of used ones I guess.
[/QUOTE
I wonder how similar the vintage Luke stormtrooper blasters are to the new Retro collection black blasters, like the ones packed w/ stormtrooper, Tarkin and Boba Fett?
new blasters are too small to be held securely. They are like 10-15% smaller than the originals so not noticeable except side by side and the fact they wont stay in the figures hands

Reaction score
new blasters are too small to be held securely. They are like 10-15% smaller than the originals so not noticeable except side by side and the fact they wont stay in the figures hands

Reaction score
With Black blasters going for over 200 each, I think you are probably best to cut your loss if it really means that much to you, and look at buying another loose Luke Stormtrooper that comes with a genuine black blaster.

However their prices have been going north this year, and are costing nearly as a much as a loose Yak Face price range.
Either that or just be happy that the one you have has a weapon and block out the noise of others who say otherwise.

Reaction score
Definitely don't give your business to the repro makers. That is the worse anyone can do.
Like I mentioned in another post. If you feel so strong to own one, sell your Luke and buy another one with a correctly paired up blaster.

Reaction score
Definitely don't give your business to the repro makers. That is the worse anyone can do.
Like I mentioned in another post. If you feel so strong to own one, sell your Luke and buy another one with a correctly paired up blaster.
He was my favorite Luke figure. Got it when I was four. I will never sell it.

Reaction score
again, the dark blue is not incorrect, its just not what came on north american cards, there has been more than one of these found on mint sealed tri-logo cards.

So if the neurosis of the "correct accessory" is the only thing driving the decision, maybe knowing that perhaps your figure did come with a dark blue will set your mind at ease so you can just enjoy it the way it is.

Reaction score
again, the dark blue is not incorrect, its just not what came on north american cards, there has been more than one of these found on mint sealed tri-logo cards.

So if the neurosis of the "correct accessory" is the only thing driving the decision, maybe knowing that perhaps your figure did come with a dark blue will set your mind at ease so you can just enjoy it the way it is.
Try convincing the FB mob who are constantly scrutinizing each figure whether loose or graded that it is the correct blaster.
In recent years more and more scrutiny has been given by buyers whether right or wrong.

Reaction score
Welp. If anyone has a raft of repro weapons they got with figs and wants to part with them for cheap I'm game. The 3.75" hobby has gotten too crazy for me to keep up. I save my worries about historical accuracy for reenactment, where it's all repros anyways.

Reaction score
Try convincing the FB mob who are constantly scrutinizing each figure whether loose or graded that it is the correct blaster.
In recent years more and more scrutiny has been given by buyers whether right or wrong.
Exactly, thats why I say dont even try to get black to begin with and save your money so you dont have to worry about eating it if you resell. Be happy that you have a dark blue and that there are known samples on cards with that blaster and if its for your own personal collection you can be rest assured that its not "incorrect" if you are prone to that particular neurosis. Getting taken on a dark blue repro doesnt feel nearly as horrible as getting taken on a black one.

Let's face it, every time I've ever sold a collection it's because I had an emergency and didnt have a choice. So not exactly in the best position to debate when a buyer has cash in their hand and is deducting 75 or 100 bucks becasue he says it's not black (even though I know for a damn fact it is)

If I had saved the money buying dark blue to begin with it wouldn't matter

Reaction score
Would I love to be able to stumble on a true black blaster for my Luke Stormtrooper? YES. Will I actively go out of my way to pay hundreds of dollars for one? NOPE. The dark blue/black or whatever they call it is close enough for me.