Luke Skywalker - Speculation

Reaction score
What would it have mattered if they had shown Hasbro Luke's outfit? What did seeing Luke really spoil? It was the goal of the movie, everyone knew we'd see Luke at the end. We all knew he had a beard. I really don't see what the problem was.
i disagree, the narrative is that we are unsure if we will ever find Luke. So I get that his figure is a spoiler. Yes, fans that were following closely knew he was in the movie, but a non Star Wars fan wouldn't have known at all.

Reaction score
i disagree, the narrative is that we are unsure if we will ever find Luke. So I get that his figure is a spoiler. Yes, fans that were following closely knew he was in the movie, but a non Star Wars fan wouldn't have known at all.
So they have Hasbro release the figure in wave 3....well after anyone who cares has seen the movie. Why they need to hide the narrative from Hasbro is beyond me.

Reaction score
Well, it's not entirely Hasbro at fault. Disney doesn't even have a TFA Luke figure in their line either

Reaction score
Well, it's not entirely Hasbro at fault. Disney doesn't even have a TFA Luke figure in their line either
Which would put it back on lucasfilm right? For a company that knows how to make money they really cost themselves a lot with this decision. Yes of course they can make him for episode 8....but they missed a chance to double dip.

GNT

Reaction score
Which would put it back on lucasfilm right? For a company that knows how to make money they really cost themselves a lot with this decision. Yes of course they can make him for episode 8....but they missed a chance to double dip.
Ohh they can double dip when they do make him - first wave, multipacks, exclusives and then more reissues in future waves. It was probably more Disney wanting to keep Luke hush hush and considering it takes a long time to make the figure it's not like he'll be on the pegs the day after the movie gets released. Either way Hasbro said he'll be out next year so we'll all just have to wait.

Reaction score
I think Hasbro will give us both versions of TFA Luke (5 POA and SA). I can see them giving us a TFA Luke SA in a Vintage style package and the 5POA version in a set similar to the TFA 4 pack with Maz. I can see them giving us Resistance Base Rey, TFA Luke Skywalker, R2-D2 and maybe a Chewbacca.

Reaction score
Ohh they can double dip when they do make him - first wave, multipacks, exclusives and then more reissues in future waves. It was probably more Disney wanting to keep Luke hush hush and considering it takes a long time to make the figure it's not like he'll be on the pegs the day after the movie gets released. Either way Hasbro said he'll be out next year so we'll all just have to wait.
True, they did show how great they were at double dipping with Kylo ren. I guess we can look forward to hood up, hood down and SA with soft goods.

Reaction score
How did Hasbro not see a picture of Luke until the movie came out when this picture was released to the public months before the movie was released?

I'd like to know this as well.

Hasbro saw it; they just don't want to admit it.
I think at this point we, s a group, need to call Hasbro and say, "Liar, liar, pants on fire!"

Talk about the dumbest way to answer that question. They could have just said, "he's on the way, you'll see him in 2017." That's how they usually answer things like that.

Reaction score
True, they did show how great they were at double dipping with Kylo ren. I guess we can look forward to hood up, hood down and SA with soft goods.
don't forget Lightsaber variants as well. I mean we don't see his lightsaber attached to his belt in TFA so they could pack him with his ROTJ Green bladed lightsaber or his fathers Blue bladed lightsaber as Rey is presenting it to him at the end of TFA, or both versions. lol :p

Reaction score
So they have Hasbro release the figure in wave 3....well after anyone who cares has seen the movie. Why they need to hide the narrative from Hasbro is beyond me.
I definitely think its ridiculous not to have released it by now, but I do get why they didnt want it with wave 1. (even though personally I wouldnt have been that fussy about it: "spoilers" are really misunderstood in general IMO)

Reaction score
I don't even think that a TFA Like in Wave 1 would have been a spoiler. I mean we still have 2 months to go before the movie hit theaters so fans wouldn't have known if the figure was depicting Luke Skywalker in a flashback or at the end of the film.

Reaction score
I don't even think that a TFA Like in Wave 1 would have been a spoiler. I mean we still have 2 months to go before the movie hit theaters so fans wouldn't have known if the figure was depicting Luke Skywalker in a flashback or at the end of the film.
Exactly, and we all knew that Mark Hamill was in the movie so I don't see how it would have been a spoiler.

Reaction score
I'm further surprised he's not being released in wave 1 or 2 of RO. Basically were going to be waiting for September 2017 at the earliest as I really don't think RO will have more than two waves.

Reaction score
Not that I like it. But it seems very reasonable why we don't have him yet. He would have most likely been in one of the last waves, and they just don't have the kind of time they used to with Movie releases. I'm sure they felt it was a better move just to wait till EP8, when he'd have more screen time. Than to try and fit him somehwere right before R1 toys. Also, Hasbro's track record for last waves aren't that good either. lol

Reaction score
The lack of Luke entirely and a rather meager Leia, Han offerings truly baffle me as a collector. I simply do not understand what they are doing with this line at all... It's just a very odd business model. Ignoring the iconic characters who return after 30 years and were the reasons EVERYBODY was so darn excited about this film? Talk about stupid.

Reaction score
Not that I like it. But it seems very reasonable why we don't have him yet. He would have most likely been in one of the last waves, and they just don't have the kind of time they used to with Movie releases. I'm sure they felt it was a better move just to wait till EP8, when he'd have more screen time. Than to try and fit him somehwere right before R1 toys. Also, Hasbro's track record for last waves aren't that good either. lol
Actually that's a good point. Last waves are awful. Glad he didn't show up if he was going to be a last wave figure.

Reaction score
Hasbro has always been out of touch with what collectors want. It's now even worse with Disney. I'm sure there were multiple idiotic meetings at Hasbro and Disney where they discussed over and over why not to make a Luke Figure for episode 7. Not to have a Luke Skywalker figure from a Movie that made a Billion Dollars and the most iconic character related to the Star Wars franchise just tell you how out of touch they are.

Reaction score
Since the rumor is that Luke will have a new look/costume in Ep8 and Hasbro/Disney will want to keep it secret until after the movie's release I could see Hasbro releasing Ep7 Luke in the first wave of Ep8 figures as a way to wet people's appetites. Ep7 Luke is a guaranteed money maker, there is no way Hasbro would just pass on him. However they do it I'm sure he'll come out eventually.

Reaction score
i still feel that Hasbro passed on Luke in the TFA line due to his limited time in the movie. I mean lets face the facts... he's standing with his back turned to Rey, he slowly looks up, turns, removes his hood and stares... not much action in the film. now with that if Hasbro made a Luke in the 5POA line of figures what would his articulation be like? arms, head (would he have a hood or not), legs ? the figure would have been similar to the Disney play figure sets that are sold in the stores. a salt and pepper shaker that would have sat on the pegs along with the all of the Hux wave.

I think the only way Hasbro could have done justice for a TFA Luke was if it was part of the Black Series 6" and Walmart exclusive waves (than he would have been beyond impossible to find.... worse than the #wheresrey)

Reaction score
i still feel that Hasbro passed on Luke in the TFA line due to his limited time in the movie. I mean lets face the facts... he's standing with his back turned to Rey, he slowly looks up, turns, removes his hood and stares... not much action in the film. now with that if Hasbro made a Luke in the 5POA line of figures what would his articulation be like? arms, head (would he have a hood or not), legs ? the figure would have been similar to the Disney play figure sets that are sold in the stores. a salt and pepper shaker that would have sat on the pegs along with the all of the Hux wave.

I think the only way Hasbro could have done justice for a TFA Luke was if it was part of the Black Series 6" and Walmart exclusive waves (than he would have been beyond impossible to find.... worse than the #wheresrey)
That makes no sense at all to me! Hasbro has NEVER selected subjects based on time on screen. In fact its one of the strengths of the various SW line that they dont, you know you will get figures of barely glimpsed aliens who arent important to the central story. So that wouldnt worry them. But besides that point, this is Luke, Hasbro knew that even if Luke was seen from behind and in silhouette and only for half a second, they would know that is enough to justify a Luke figure. We dont know why they didnt do it, but I am sure they planned to and things have just got shifted around and then there was a clash with R1, so its then better to just wait till the build up to EpVIII because it makes more sense.

Reaction score
That makes no sense at all to me! Hasbro has NEVER selected subjects based on time on screen. In fact its one of the strengths of the various SW line that they dont, you know you will get figures of barely glimpsed aliens who arent important to the central story. So that wouldnt worry them. But besides that point, this is Luke, Hasbro knew that even if Luke was seen from behind and in silhouette and only for half a second, they would know that is enough to justify a Luke figure. We dont know why they didnt do it, but I am sure they planned to and things have just got shifted around and then there was a clash with R1, so its then better to just wait till the build up to EpVIII because it makes more sense.
I'm not saying that I agree with Hasbro on this (if this was their thinking). I've wanted a TFA Luke since the leaked images on the net. I wanted him even more when the armor up version came out... (I was hopeful that this figure was based on a possible flashback scene or something), I wanted TFA Luke even more when I finally saw the movie and saw Luke at the end. I thought for sure that Hasbro would have made one by now, I figured that he would be part of the last wave of figures for TFA (the one with Han and Resistance Rey).

I thought for sure he would have been included with the first wave of RO figures or even Wave 2 of RO figures (instead of the Rey figure we got). Not sure why Hasbro hasn't released him yet, or what their thinking is behind holding him back. I just want him already..... and I want him in 5POA, 3.75" Black Series SA, 6" Black Series, micro machine size etc.

I even want a Skellig Michael island playset complete with Luke and a Resistance Rey figure.

Reaction score
I'm not saying that I agree with Hasbro on this (if this was their thinking). I've wanted a TFA Luke since the leaked images on the net. I wanted him even more when the armor up version came out... (I was hopeful that this figure was based on a possible flashback scene or something), I wanted TFA Luke even more when I finally saw the movie and saw Luke at the end. I thought for sure that Hasbro would have made one by now, I figured that he would be part of the last wave of figures for TFA (the one with Han and Resistance Rey).

I thought for sure he would have been included with the first wave of RO figures or even Wave 2 of RO figures (instead of the Rey figure we got). Not sure why Hasbro hasn't released him yet, or what their thinking is behind holding him back. I just want him already..... and I want him in 5POA, 3.75" Black Series SA, 6" Black Series, micro machine size etc.

I even want a Skellig Michael island playset complete with Luke and a Resistance Rey figure.

Yeah, its a weird one. Its
inexpiable, but I too wish they would sort it out.

Reaction score
To be blunt, because they are old white people. Disney central casting in general is now like the house ad at my local movie theatre with the amazingly diverse trio of just friends sitting down in the chairs that become trees or something. (Digression: we were very fortunate that Boyega, Ridley, Issac and the BB-8 Collective turned out to be tremendous actors well-suited to their roles)
While those of us from the first couple of SW generations need to realize that our core heroes are now, in a sense, Alec Guinnesses, I have to think a Disney Diversity mandate was reflected in character choices for the action figure line. To not have Luke in the line a year after the fact is bad enough, but excusable considering his near-complete absence from the finished film. But to have such limited offerings for Han and particularly Leia is simply unacceptable, considering that so much of the marketing was specifically at Generation Xers - "Hey, we don't have the Canadian stalker boyfriend playing teenage Vader! Or that Jar Jar thing! Or so much CGI! Hey, remember Han and Chewie?!! 'Member Princess Leia?!! 'Member the Millennium Falcon!!!!"

Reaction score

Reaction score
Yeah, the limited screen time argument doesn't hold. Where's Zuvio? Where's Sarco Plank? Where's the Hassk Thug? How long do we even see a Guavian Enforcer for?

Reaction score
Yeah, the limited screen time argument doesn't hold. Where's Zuvio? Where's Sarco Plank? Where's the Hassk Thug? How long do we even see a Guavian Enforcer for?
Zuvio and Sarco Plank I believe are in deleted scenes and were some of the first images that Hasbro received in regards to TFA, Hassk Thug is in the movie at Maz's Castle and the Guavian Enforcer is in an action scene in TFA (not that I'm trying to justify these figures over Luke). Luke was a secret kept from Hasbro. I think Disney waited too long to send images of Luke to Hasbro and that's the real reason why we still don't have Luke. I remember reading somewhere that Hasbro needs 18 months to make an action figure ready for retail. if that's the case and Disney did drag their feet on releasing images of TFA Luke than I don't expect to see a Luke figure till Wave 1 of EPVIII

Reaction score
Some of the Hasbro Star Wars team communicated that the first time they saw the Episode VII incarnation of Luke Skywalker was when they saw THE FORCE AWAKENS in the theater. That lack of knowledge seemed INCREDIBLY deliberate on the part of JJ Abrams or Lucasfilm or Disney. Pick whichever party you want to, but someone made the decision to not give production imagery of Luke to Hasbro.

The next question seems to be WHY? And it boils down to something that JJ Abrams said when they were promoting the movie. Who is Luke Skywalker? Where did Luke go? And why did he disappear? Those questions were really at the heart of the movie. Having Luke Skywalker merchandise available when the licensed merchandise comes to market goes against that overall concept.

And then there are the leaks that happened all during the prequel era. We've seen toy releases that gave away significant plot points during the prequel era, like lost limbs, etc. But a whole person whose existence has become a great mystery? Having product lists, toy imagery, etc, has great potential to spoil the story for everyone, especially in the age of social media.

Now there was the one leaked image of Luke that made it out before TFA was released. But since Hasbro never officially got that image from Lucasfilm, guess what? To Hasbro -that image didn't exist. And if Hasbro did approach Lucasfilm about making a Luke figure based on that image? I suspect that Lucasfilm probably shot it down. In addition to the concept of "Who is Luke Skywalker?" that permeated everything with TFA, it seemed that everyone involved with promoting the film was on the same page on one thing: preserve the theater experience for the viewer and maintain a sense of surprise. And action figures were a lesser consideration. I look at all of that, and I'm okay with not getting a Luke Skywalker action figure in the TFA line.

Reaction score
Zuvio and Sarco Plank I believe are in deleted scenes and were some of the first images that Hasbro received in regards to TFA, Hassk Thug is in the movie at Maz's Castle and the Guavian Enforcer is in an action scene in TFA (not that I'm trying to justify these figures over Luke). Luke was a secret kept from Hasbro. I think Disney waited too long to send images of Luke to Hasbro and that's the real reason why we still don't have Luke. I remember reading somewhere that Hasbro needs 18 months to make an action figure ready for retail. if that's the case and Disney did drag their feet on releasing images of TFA Luke than I don't expect to see a Luke figure till Wave 1 of EPVIII

I've watched all the deleted scenes on the new release. Zuvio can be seen for a split second in the background. And I mean literally blink and miss him. I call BS on Hasbro "claiming" they did not receive production materials in time. It doesn't matter how much screen time or action he had in the movie. Luke is one of the big three, and an iconic character. It comes down to the same reason there has not been an "Old Ben" figure released since 2009. There was a statement that they considered the VOTC figures to be part of the Vintage Collection line, and they didn't plan on repeating characters. Yet if you compare the two series, we got several figures re-tooled. Obi-Wan "Ben" Kenobi should have been repacked in TVC. Hasbro doesn't think kids want to play with an old man action figure. I'm sure it was only after the outcry from fans and collectors that Hasbro finally decided to put a Luke into production.

Reaction score
I call BS on Hasbro "claiming" they did not receive production materials in time. It doesn't matter how much screen time or action he had in the movie. Luke is one of the big three, and an iconic character. It comes down to the same reason there has not been an "Old Ben" figure released since 2009. There was a statement that they considered the VOTC figures to be part of the Vintage Collection line, and they didn't plan on repeating characters. Yet if you compare the two series, we got several figures re-tooled. Obi-Wan "Ben" Kenobi should have been repacked in TVC. Hasbro doesn't think kids want to play with an old man action figure. I'm sure it was only after the outcry from fans and collectors that Hasbro finally decided to put a Luke into production.
I think you might want to consider expanding how you think about Luke in the context of licensed Star Wars merchandise. And try looking at some other licenses. Hot Toys only offered their TFA Luke Skywalker up for pre-order back in October. That figure is not even set to be delivered until some time between January and March of 2017. And surprise, surprise, that is still over 1 year after the theatrical release of THE FORCE AWAKENS. I suspect that Hot Toys might have a slightly leaner production process as well as a tighter turnaround time with their product line since their offerings are for adult collectors, and probably don't have to go through the product safety testing that a Hasbro offering does.

As for the leaked photos? Sure, some people at Hasbro may have seen them and even shown them to the Star Wars brand manager. But it very likely ended there. Because there was a blackout on imagery of Luke from the people at Lucasfilm. And even if a licensee had offered up a TFA Luke product based on that imagery, it probably would not have received approval from Lucasfilm Licensing. That group has to sign off on all Star Wars licensed material before it can be officially offered at retail. Hasbro, Gentle Giant, Sideshow, Hot Toys, whoever.... none of those companies will offer up a product without explicit approval from Lucasfilm Licensing because it would probably be a massive breach of their contract.

I think we're likely to see TFA versions of Luke Skywalker and Leia shown at Toy Fair this coming February, along with some more ROGUE ONE offerings. But I suspect that we may see a similar situation in the ROGUE ONE action figure line with some character(s) from the new film who has been kept very much under wraps for the purpose of surprising the audience.

Reaction score
TBH, tha just seem incomprehensible. Especially with the way LFL and licensing has been in the past. I can understand JJ having a bit more of tight lip tha George. But still, Disney is in charge. And they want to make Money, look at all their other properties that have movie tie-ins month in advance.

I find it highly doubtful that the Theater would be the first time they ever saw or heard about Luke. But if so, it's a definite lack of communication and bad way to handle thing IMO. At the end of the day there's business to be done.

That said, it really can't be that big of an issue. As it's only one character that is coming back for seconds. As much as I'd liked to have had him, I"m not outraged that I have to wait one year for him. I just hope he's SA when the time finally comes. Otherwise I will be outraged. lol

Reaction score
TBH, tha just seem incomprehensible. Especially with the way LFL and licensing has been in the past. I can understand JJ having a bit more of tight lip tha George. But still, Disney is in charge. And they want to make Money, look at all their other properties that have movie tie-ins month in advance.

I find it highly doubtful that the Theater would be the first time they ever saw or heard about Luke. But if so, it's a definite lack of communication and bad way to handle thing IMO. At the end of the day there's business to be done.
I disagree.

To you it may seem like Disney/Lucasfilm/Hasbro left money on the table by not getting those action figure royalties. That may be. But then look at the box office numbers for The Force Awakens. And that was about $2 billion! That is REAL money. I think investing strategically in making Luke that much more of surprise for theater goers was probably the better play.

And guess what? We're still going to buy a TFA Luke in multiple scales after the veil of secrecy has been lifted. In fact, I think there may be even MORE heat on Luke as a licensed merchandise character now since he was kept under such tight wraps and excluded from every toy line.