Luke Skywalker Series

Reaction score
Plenty of time for adventures between where we are currently. 9ABY and 28ABY when the Jedi School is destroyed....and TFA is at 34ABY.

Reaction score
If they did this....and I know it's a big if at this point....how would everyone feel about Sebastian Stan playing Luke moving forward?

I was originally against it but I think it could work really well. And I'd rather have Luke be front and center even if it meant recasting rather than him always off to the side due to effects limitations.

Reaction score
I know, but if the idea is being floated in order to gauge fan reaction, I'd like to go on the record as supporting it. Please give me a post RotJ Luke series in which we get the real Luke Skywalker, not Roundhead Johnson's deconstruction of the character.

If they did this....and I know it's a big if at this point....how would everyone feel about Sebastian Stan playing Luke moving forward?

I was originally against it but I think it could work really well. And I'd rather have Luke be front and center even if it meant recasting rather than him always off to the side due to effects limitations.
I'm all for recasting Luke. As happy as I am that Mark Hamill got to (partly) play the real Luke Skywalker again, he's too old, and the CGI is inadequate, to sustain Luke in a series. In order to see a younger Luke the way he should be at this point in his life, the character needs to be recast. Sebastian Stan is fine, but maybe there is someone else out there even better. Matching the look is not as important as matching the "soul" of the character.

Reaction score

I'd be fine with that. Mark will always be Luke, but I'd really like to see a post-ROTJ series with Luke in it and see him do some cool Jedi stuff, search for old Jedi temples and artifacts, train Grogu, fight some baddies, build his academy.

Reaction score

I'm sure that makeup and a good wig could get his face pretty darn close. I wonder if Mark Hamill could voice over Sebastian Stan's performance. That would really help sell it.

Reaction score
His face is already pretty darn close. I think the best way to do it is try to get him looking as close to ROTJ Luke as possible....then gradually over time change his look so you're not making a direct comparison. Kind of the reverse of what they did with Ewan's Obi-wan.

Reaction score
Meanwhile, whatever happened to new eras and characters? Look, I thought it was just okay for one 2 minute scene but a whole series???
They would most definitely have to recast. The question is now that you set a baseline for Luke, how do you recast with a new actor? And do we really need it? I'd like to see him forming a new Jedi Order, kicking but and taking names as much as the next person. In all honesty it just feels like that time has passed, can we truly not get new content?

Now, i wouldn't mind if he once again makes a cameo in a new series set in this era, though I'd prefer it was a few years later so that wasn't the only trainer. The main lead would be "insert name" and this person would, be second to head master in charge of all other teachers and duties relating to Padawans/younglings. Have 2-3 other teachers, maybe even a Droid instructor for non force studies. Luke would only make an appearance when the story required it, such as a "special" student or when it came time for recruiting/missions he would issue orders etc.

I don't know that I'd want to see him doing a bunch of stuff/fighting as he would need to be covered like in Mandalorian. if tehy did cast Stan, it would definitely take some getting used to. I just don't feel we're quite there yet, maybe in ten more years? I know an reboot is likely but i was hoping not in my time.

Reaction score
Meanwhile, whatever happened to new eras and characters? Look, I thought it was just okay for one 2 minute scene but a whole series???
They would most definitely have to recast. The question is now that you set a baseline for Luke, how do you recast with a new actor? And do we really need it? I'd like to see him forming a new Jedi Order, kicking but and taking names as much as the next person. In all honesty it just feels like that time has passed, can we truly not get new content?
That's my same question as to why they need to bring back characters like Ahsoka or even Ezra, if the rumors are true. They had their shows, so let's get new characters, like we did with Mando.

If they want to do some kind of Luke series, then it either needs to be a mini-series or they really need to plan a specific number of episodes over 2-3 season and tell the whole story we want post-ROTJ.

I guess for me the big question is how they're going to handle the ST. I agree with most that say they'll avoid the ST as much as possible and stay in safe waters where they can allow specific actions to play out. If they are really thinking about rebooting an ST trilogy at some point in the future (7-10 years from now), then all of the post-ROTJ stuff is wide open and you could really go to town on a Luke Skywalker series, but make sure it focuses on the individual new Jedi/Padawans/Masters (I'd like to see them bring K'Kruhk back and even Quinlan Vos).

The biggest problems Disney has are:

1. The mains from the OT are still extremely popular with the general public
2. The Empire is still a perfectly identifiable bad guy in the SW universe
3. The ST characters have not made the pop culture impact that previous SW characters have made

Reaction score
No.

I wish people would stop trying to push this Stan fella. He DOESN'T look like Mark Hamill and sounds like him even less.

You'll end up running into the same problem that 'Solo' ran into with their fake. Far too many people would end up just rejecting it and for good reason too.

Reaction score
I wonder if Mark Hamill could voice over Sebastian Stan's performance. That would really help sell it.
Sebastian Stan isn't exactly hurting for work. Why would he take a job playing a character where he doesn't even get to use his own voice? Just to make the fanboys happy?

Reaction score
I'd be perfectly fine with Luke taking a backseat role in a New Jedi Order type show. He doesn't need to be front and center...and I feel like he'd be more effective as not being front and center. We as audiences want to be teased.

Stan looks pretty damn close, as close as one could reasonably expect, but I think if you did feature Stan as Luke it would be a good idea to set the show down the road bit, further past the time of Mando, so the look discrepancy wouldn't be as big of a deal.

Solo didn't fail because of the actor they cast as Han, it failed because audiences didn't feel there was an interesting story there. No one was really asking for a Han origin story but they gave us one anyway and expected us to show up.

In regards to new eras and characters....I think Disney's approach (currently) is a smart one. They are mixing things up. Giving us new, giving us old at the same time. Mando season 2 definitely served as a backdoor pilot for a bunch of stuff. It obviously directly gave us Ahsoka...and yes Ahsoka is an old character….but she was once upon a time a new to SW character AND to a lot of people she's a new character. This other show, Rangers of the New Republic, sounds like it's going to rely on new characters. So there's some all new.

If they dumped nothing but all new on us we would claim it doesn't feel like SW, if they give us all old stuff we will complain they don't have any new ideas. It's a fine line.

Reaction score
Make it animated & they can do whatever they want from a storytelling POV.
Back in the NJO days that's all I was dreaming about. Yes that story had some problems (what SW story doesn't) but I loved the characters and just the sheer scope of that 19 book story.

Reaction score
Sebastian Stan isn't exactly hurting for work. Why would he take a job playing a character where he doesn't even get to use his own voice? Just to make the fanboys happy?
Ultimately, it's up to Sebastian Stan as to what he's willing to do. I can't speak for him any more than you can.

Solo didn't fail because of the actor they cast as Han, it failed because audiences didn't feel there was an interesting story there. No one was really asking for a Han origin story but they gave us one anyway and expected us to show up.
And there's the fact that the Star Wars movie that was released before it ticked off about half of the fan base.

Reaction score
Ultimately, it's up to Sebastian Stan as to what he's willing to do. I can't speak for him any more than you can.
Right. But YOU suggested he should take a job knowing full well his voice--one of the things an actor relies on the most--would never be heard. I'm asking why you think he should do that. Nobody has to speak for Sebastian Stan, this is all hypothetical based on an idea YOU floated.

Reaction score
No actor "should" do anything. They can take whatever jobs they want to and turn down down whatever.

Reaction score
No actor "should" do anything. They can take whatever jobs they want to and turn down down whatever.
Oh good, semantics. Look, if you haven't thought your suggestion through, just say so. But I'll play along. Since you want to split hairs over the word "should," why do you think he WOULD take a job like that? Again, keeping in mind that YOU brought this up in the first place.

Reaction score
Oh good, semantics. Look, if you haven't thought your suggestion through, just say so. But I'll play along. Since you want to split hairs over the word "should," why do you think he WOULD take a job like that? Again, keeping in mind that YOU brought this up in the first place.
1. Money
2. For the last several years, his main paycheck has been coming from Disney.
3. Luke Skywalker is a far better known character than Winter Soldier.
4. He could be a genuine Star Wars fan.
5. He might not be a self absorbed actor, but rather the type who is a team player and just wants the end product to be as good as possible.

Everything listed above is pure hypotheticals. I don't personally know Sebastion Stan. I do know that sometimes actors take a role just because they want the role and it's not all about them. Not every actor has a Tom Cruise level ego.

Reaction score
FandomWire reports that a Luke Skywalker series, set in The Mandalorian era, is in development at Disney+

Just wondering what's the accuracy rating for that website? Is their source reliable? I know fans will be excited for anything Luke Skywalker, but I feel that Lucasfilm has their hands full for the next two years to start adding a new one. Even if they are talking about it, that show would probably be for 2023 at the earliest.

Well they are starting to explore the High Republic era, and Mando and its spin-offs are exploring the interim between Episodes VI and VII. I think it is inevitable that old characters will cross into the shows especially if the story requires it (like with Grogu) as characters like Din Djarin get caught up in a wider conflict.

Reaction score
I understand everyone’s preferences on both sides. I can see why they would and why they wouldn’t want to rock this particular boat.

But my personal opinion is the more content we get the better. Some of it will be great and some of it I’m sure won’t. It’s just like the old EU—hit or miss.

But I don’t have a problem with it.

Reaction score
TFA is at 34ABY.
They should shift it to 44 years. Only poxy little books and comics make any reference to the time frame so they can easily be ignored. Adding an extra decade makes everyone in the ST more age appropriate (Luke and Leia would be in their 60s) and it gives you more time for prime Luke, Leia, Han, Lando etc.

Reaction score
I don't know why they settled on 34ABY....44ABY would make a lot more sense. That would have put Luke at the exact age Hamill was at the time. Instead we were supposed to believe him and Carrie were in their early 50's. And that Han was mid 50's rather than the early 70's Harrison actually was. It's hard to pull off the character being one or in harrisons case two decades younger than you actually are.

Reaction score
please god no , little cameos are more than enough . Recasting Luke is a worse idea than recasting Han and that didnt work too well .

Reaction score
I think Mando 16 was a more fitting farewell for Luke than the Disney Trilogy. Disney's use of the legacy characters has tended to diminish the classic heroes and villains.

Reaction score
I don't know why they settled on 34ABY....44ABY would make a lot more sense. That would have put Luke at the exact age Hamill was at the time. Instead we were supposed to believe him and Carrie were in their early 50's. And that Han was mid 50's rather than the early 70's Harrison actually was. It's hard to pull off the character being one or in harrisons case two decades younger than you actually are.
I believe Han was 30 or 32 at the time of the original Star Wars, if I remember my Burl Ives-narrated read-along record.

Reaction score
... And do we really need it? I'd like to see him forming a new Jedi Order, kicking but and taking names as much as the next person. In all honesty it just feels like that time has passed, can we truly not get new content?
I agree. The OT is incredibly special to those of us who experienced the original releases, and were held in suspense in three-year intervals. But that point in history has passed. John Wayne isn't going to do another film. The Berlin Wall will never fall again. "Lapti Nek" was never meant to be performed by Pentatonix.
The biggest problems Disney has are:

1. The mains from the OT are still extremely popular with the general public
2. The Empire is still a perfectly identifiable bad guy in the SW universe
3. The ST characters have not made the pop culture impact that previous SW characters have made
Boy, No. 3 is the understatement of the decade, isn't it? Rey is already remembered for reasons that are probably 50 percent bad, I have called Ben Solo "Emo Vader" since walking out of the theater after watching TFA on premier week, and the general public didn't remember Poe and Finn enough to forget about them. Darth Maul and Jar-Jar Binks have better name recognition among people who ask you why Chewbacca is so much taller than the Ewoks.

Reaction score
The shallow and soulless nature of the ST is why it will not have the lasting appeal that was intended.

When ROTJ ended we cared about what was going to happen in the future with these characters. What would Luke do now? Are Han and Leia going to be together? Etc

Does anyone, even "new"* fans, care what Rey is doing? FInn? Who gives a ****?

*By new fans I mean ones that have had the ST as their introduction to Star Wars.

Reaction score
That's a good point. At the end of TROS I had more of a feeling of, "Thank God that trilogy is over and I don't care what happens to any of those characters" as opposed to wondering what happened to Luke, Han, Leia, Lando, and the gang after ROTJ.

Reaction score
it also give some of us great sadness about what Happened to Luke, Han and Leia, like what was it all for just to repeat the same BS with a vader descendant! It's straight out of the crappy parts of the EU that people disliked, yet those who didn't like EU seemed to like what happened in TLJ. lol

I just feel that everyone could have sat it out and let the Empire reign over another 20-30 years and it have been no different...
Yeah I get that some might of wanted to see Luke fail for something different than we got in OT, I just don't see it that way since I'd already seen it dozens of times in the EU. Just because most of the audience today wasn't familiar with those stories it doesn't make them any less ridiculous and trashy. To me it felt like they simply reused the worst elements of the EU.

Reaction score
Does anyone, even "new"* fans, care what Rey is doing? FInn? Who gives a ****?
Personally, I'm looking forward to the post ST stories of Rey. I want to see where she's fallen on hard times after being arrested for falsifying her identity and scamming a bunch of people who sign up for her new Jedi school. Those poor Jedi hopefuls who thought they were going to be trained by a Skywalker....I feel for them.