Luke Skywalker - Medical Frigate - BD38

Reaction score
Well this figure just looks worse and worse. The exposed flesh looks totally unrealistic and the headsculpt is pretty poor. There's some goodies as far as accessories but not enough to make me add him to my shelf. If he strikes me as nicer in person than perhaps.

GNT

Reaction score
VintijDroidGutzz said:
Jayson said:
GNT said:
Thanks for the pictures, I love the new leg/hip articulation so it' wont take long for collectors to ask for it to become the norm.
Actually it's not new. The VOTC Luke had this hip articulation too..
Exactly. I don't think GNT's opened his VOTC Luke yet, or checked the archives in a while.
I never got a 2nd VOTC Luke to open so I didn't know that it's been used before d'oh thanks for the heads up Jayson.

Reaction score
Saw this today. The headsculpt is GREAT. Looks just like ESB era post-reconstructive surgery Mark Hamill. It doesn't look like those god awful images with the eyeliner. Really have to praise that one aspect of the figure. Best Hamill likeness since 2004 Jabba's Palace Luke.

Reaction score
This figure is really much better than what you guys expect from the carded images. Hasbro may never perfect soft goods robes at this scale but the figure is very nice.

Reaction score
tk421_1_2 said:
This figure is really much better than what you guys expect from the carded images. Hasbro may never perfect soft goods robes at this scale but the figure is very nice.
I don't have the figure yet, but just from the pics people have posted I will admit that the figure turned out a lot better than I thought it would have.

Reaction score
I might pick up a couple of these figures just for the hip articulation. It should be a norm for figure sculpts, especially for the price we pay. I know a couple of jedi who could use this added articulation.

Reaction score
Toonimator said:
Why's 2-1B attaching the comlink to Luke's arm's inner workings?
IIRC, Luke used an intercom to talk to Lando during that scene. Not a communicator.

It must be 2-1B's medical tool.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Yeah, I watched the scene a little while ago, and I think the accessory looks closer to 2-1B's tool than it does to the communicator. It's tough to see the communicator, but it looks like a small screwdriver held upright (which this accessory could appear to be too), but 2-1B's tool is thicker like this thing, just that it is curved at the end.

Reaction score
Daigo_Bah said:
Yeah, I watched the scene a little while ago, and I think the accessory looks closer to 2-1B's tool than it does to the communicator. It's tough to see the communicator, but it looks like a small screwdriver held upright (which this accessory could appear to be too), but 2-1B's tool is thicker like this thing, just that it is curved at the end.
Quote of the Year.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
LOL- usually I catch something like that as I type it, but not this time

By the way, what program do you guys use to get screenshots like that?

Reaction score
MightyMegs said:
Daigo_Bah said:
Quote of the Year.
Bwahahaha!!!

Reaction score
ETAndElliot said:
Think it's pretty clear it's meant to be the communicator more than the medical tool... unless it fits perfectly into ROTS 2-1B's hand as a tool (considering Hasbro's happy enough with THAT figure serving as an ESB one)

I think the truth is it's part of the Tractor Beam control assembly in the first Death Star. Obi-Wan turns it after pulling that handle-thing, to depower the coupling! Just before the shot where the readout bar (originally in English, now in Aurabesh) powers down.

Reaction score
Toonimator said:
I think the truth is it's part of the Tractor Beam control assembly in the first Death Star.
I know exactly what you're referring to, but why would they pack it in with this Luke?

It's not like the 'not corresponding to wave' BAD thing. Are you implying that they're trying to get us to buy EVERYTHING now, to put the puzzle of the entire saga together incrimentally??

If so, that really blows.

Reaction score
It's nice to see another figure that the ball joint hips but this particular selection doesn't need it. That's an all too rare feature in the Star Wars line and it's a waste this super boring Luke.... Now, watch Death Star II Luke not have it, watch that loooooooong awaited and very action oriented version of him get stuck with swivel hips. I hope not. But this is Hasbro we're talking about.

Reaction score
VintijDroidGutzz said:
I know exactly what you're referring to, but why would they pack it in with this Luke?

It's not like the 'not corresponding to wave' BAD thing. Are you implying that they're trying to get us to buy EVERYTHING now, to put the puzzle of the entire saga together incrimentally??

If so, that really blows.
Nah... they just needed something to use for the communicator, and for some reason latched onto THAT gizmo to sculpt.

It actually might NOT be part of the tractor beam controls, as there's not a super-clear shot of it... but damn if the sculpt doesn't look painfully familiar! Maybe some other piece of Imperial set dressing on some console, I dunno. DS tractor controls is the best I can figure right now...

but here it's definitely intended to be Luke's lil screwdriver comlink, which for all I know he was holding upside down (think of the one Lando used to give the evacuation order in Cloud City... he held it by it's skinny stem; if Luke's was the same thing, maybe Hamill was holding his the wrong way! The world may never know...)

Reaction score
I could've sworn Luke was just holding one of the comm's they used running around the DS in ANH, could've just used the one fron Garidan. I compared pics from the archives of the little tool that came from Lobot and his laptop but they weren't the same, could've sworn again that they were the same mold.

Reaction score
I would guess that it is meant to be a communicator...either for Lando or Luke from Cloud City...I don't think it is intentionally supposed to be the tractor beam control.

Reaction score
Stormtrooper3133 said:
I would guess that it is meant to be a communicator...either for Lando or Luke from Cloud City...I don't think it is intentionally supposed to be the tractor beam control.
Nor do I, if you read the last message I posted
(and the one before that, really; I never said the actual accessory's purpose was something unrelated to Medical Frigate Luke, only that the source of the sculpt's design came from somewhere far from the Medical Frigate!)

...another possible source of its design is from C-3PO's knees. Check out any hi-res shot of 3PO, big photos of statues, 12" figures maybe, whatever... the thingamajigs on the outer sides of his knees are fair dopplegangers of this device!

Reaction score
I read futher back that Luke has a bit of giraffneckitus when put onto the VTSC Bepin Luke, but has anyone tried the head on either Xwing/ESB EVO Xwing body?

Reaction score
Darth_Anton said:
I don't catch all the details right away before I actually buy figures, so I was pleasantly to find that this one has ball jointed hips.
Yep. All this is, is the Vintage Luke figure with new new legs and head. Same ball jointed legs.

Anyway, for some reason, in my area this figure is always the first to go.

Reaction score
The head sculpt of this Luke is by far the best of the the other Lukes that Hasbro put out last year. I'll definitely buy this with the new B-12 figurine!

Reaction score
My heart sank when I saw the pictures that made him look like he had gobs of mascara on his face, but just got this figure and the likeness and paint apps are both great. Really good Luke.

Even the robe isn't THAT bad -- the belt is an atrocity, but the robe itself is OK. Thinking about head-swap possibilities....

Reaction score
REBELPURGE said:
I read futher back that Luke has a bit of giraffneckitus when put onto the VTSC Bepin Luke, but has anyone tried the head on either Xwing/ESB EVO Xwing body?
VOTC Luke and VTSC Luke (pilot) have the same headsculpt. And since this Frigate Luke has the body of VOTC Luke, it should fit perfectly on the pilot body. You could probably shorten the neckpost on Bespin Luke (VTAC) if you wanted to put it on that one so Luke would look sober while on Dagobah and Bespin.

Reaction score
Re: Luke Skywalker - Medical Frigate

Billy_Ray said:
doc46 said:
If you have the VTAC Bespin Luke, could you post a pic of frigate Luke's head on the Bespin body?
I'm wondering if this will work too. I picked up the Medical Frigate Luke yesterday, but unfortunately all the rest of my figures are packed up and in storage at the moment, but that was the first thing I thought of. I really prefer this headsculpt to the one that came with VTAC Luke and I think it would look great on that figure...if it fits.

Well, it's not a straight head-swap. I had to drill the cavity in the head deeper, a little at a time, until it looked right on the body. Shouldn't be a big deal, though, if you have relatively steady hands.

Reaction score

I don't know, I didn't seem to have as much of a qualm with Bespin Luke's head as some other folks did, thus I don't see this is as necessary. But it is always nice to mix & match & see what we can come up with. Interesting.

Reaction score

tierneygreen said:
Billy_Ray said:
doc46 said:
If you have the VTAC Bespin Luke, could you post a pic of frigate Luke's head on the Bespin body?
I'm wondering if this will work too. I picked up the Medical Frigate Luke yesterday, but unfortunately all the rest of my figures are packed up and in storage at the moment, but that was the first thing I thought of. I really prefer this headsculpt to the one that came with VTAC Luke and I think it would look great on that figure...if it fits.

Well, it's not a straight head-swap. I had to drill the cavity in the head deeper, a little at a time, until it looked right on the body. Shouldn't be a big deal, though, if you have relatively steady hands.
That's an awesome improvement!! I just wish I could find this figure. Anyone have a scan of the barcode that I can print? That way I can take it to Wal-Mart/Target and see if they have it in back stock. Our local stores are flooded with the repack waves.

Jason

Reaction score

by the way how does the medical frigate luke compare in heighth with the votc luke? i'm hoping he's a little taller.

jason

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score

Since we're on the topic, I have a couple of decent shots of two other variations to the Vintage Luke. Both are the Dagobah heads that came with that awesome set a while back.

Reaction score

I like the head sculpt for the figure, but I can't warrant a purchase because that is the only part of the figure I like.

Reaction score

tierneygreen said:
Billy_Ray said:
doc46 said:

Hey, thanks for those pics, I really appreciate it! Since my stuff is all packed up at the moment (and will be for the at least a few months), I was unable to try this myself as I didn't have access to my VOTC Bespin Luke. I think the frigate head looks GREAT on there and now I know, so I can pick up another frigate Luke.