Luke Skywalker - Medical Frigate - BD38

Reaction score
Re: Luke Skywalker - Medical Frigate

I like the headsculpt, sans the eyeliner. And I recall having seen a shot somewhere of him without the softgoods on and the rest of the figure is pretty good, but man did they screw up the robe. Seriously, capes, jedi robes, sure softgoods, whatever, but I don't see any need for them on this figure.

And another thing, why the heck can't hasbro figure out how to do softgoods well? It seemed like they were getting better, and now they're just all blustery and all over the place again. Kenner did a fantastic job with them in the vintage line, maybe they should dig out some all files and brush up.

Reaction score

You know, it's part of the nature of fabric to be folded certain ways, and so if the figures don't look good in fabric, you can always fold them or move them certain ways to look better.

Also, as for the paint job, you guys know how paint jobs on individual figures can be - you can get two of the same figure and there's all kinds of inconsistencies and some mess ups on a few. Hold out until you see this figure in person before you throw a fit. Chances are, the eyes on all or most of the figures won't be like this one.

Reaction score

DarthPete said:
I like the headsculpt, sans the eyeliner. And I recall having seen a shot somewhere of him without the softgoods on and the rest of the figure is pretty good, but man did they screw up the robe. Seriously, capes, jedi robes, sure softgoods, whatever, but I don't see any need for them on this figure.

And another thing, why the heck can't hasbro figure out how to do softgoods well? It seemed like they were getting better, and now they're just all blustery and all over the place again. Kenner did a fantastic job with them in the vintage line, maybe they should dig out some all files and brush up.
Without the robe, it's just VOTC Luke with new legs (and possibly only the lower legs are new, haven't analyzed it much).

As for Kenner's robes... stuff like that has been discussed a few times before over the last few years at least, and I think what it boiled down to was better prices on fabrics back then, and the simple fact that Star Wars was HUGE for Kenner, so they could afford to get fancy with fabrics like on Squid-Head's well-made skirt, or the faux-sheepskin Klaatu skirt.

Of course, they had some drawbacks & duds, too... for one, I don't think either Endor poncho was any better than ones we've had recently.

Still... it'd be nice if they really went all-out when doing something in soft-goods like Luke's medical robe. Leia's 'unbunched' skirt is no different from VOTC, so it doesn't bother me... but this robe looks worse (surprisingly) than the VOTC Farmboy shirt.

Reaction score

Wonder how the sg robe from the Indy Ark deluxe set would look on this figure? It would have be shortened a bit, and a new longer, non velcro belt sewn onto it. May have to try this.

Reaction score

Im interested in putting him near the supposed new tesb 2-1b.

Reaction score

Damn it. I really like the first prototype pic of him, it looked like the best Luke likeness out of all of them. Going to have to pass on this now, too bad.

Reaction score

So has anyone found this? I am curious what the body sculpt is.

Reaction score

This figure looks alot better in person, other than the fact that the robe is a real life boys large, this figure's really nice.. One thing about this figure I don't get is that random silver accesory.

I don't know what lukes lightsaber's supposed to look like, so I don't know how accurate it is..

SA fo sho, I didn't know the hips were B-Jizzled, I think these are the best balled jointed hips so far. I was stoked so I made him do the splits.. his forearms are kinda flimsy. The first time I twisted his forearm it popped right out, it seems like they fit just tight enough to stay connected to his elbow..

What is this stupid thing?? it looks like some kinda heavy duty antanae, or a girly lightsaber, or it got packed in on accident..

Reaction score

If you have the VTAC Bespin Luke, could you post a pic of frigate Luke's head on the Bespin body?

Reaction score

That little silver thing is the communicator he uses to talk to Lando in the Falcon. When they say they'll rendevous on Tatooine.

GNT

Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures, I love the new leg/hip articulation so it' wont take long for collectors to ask for it to become the norm.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
You know what, face sculpt and paint look pretty great, but I'm going to darken his hair a little. The belt sash has got to go, though, and I'll likely replace it with a thin piece of 1-layer fabric. Hot glue the robe in a couple places, and I'm pleased! (Ok, so a lot of customization...)

Reaction score
Jayson said:
GNT said:
Thanks for the pictures, I love the new leg/hip articulation so it' wont take long for collectors to ask for it to become the norm.
Actually it's not new. The VOTC Luke had this hip articulation too..
Exactly. I don't think GNT's opened his VOTC Luke yet, or checked the archives in a while.

I agree about the silver accessory being the comm he talks to Lando with as well.
Also very curious to see the new head on VTAC Bespin Luke!

Reaction score
if that head is swappable it would be great for VTSC bespin luke. here' hoping but i remember that neck post being really long. may not fit. hope it does.

Reaction score

doc46 said:
If you have the VTAC Bespin Luke, could you post a pic of frigate Luke's head on the Bespin body?
I'm wondering if this will work too. I picked up the Medical Frigate Luke yesterday, but unfortunately all the rest of my figures are packed up and in storage at the moment, but that was the first thing I thought of. I really prefer this headsculpt to the one that came with VTAC Luke and I think it would look great on that figure...if it fits.

This figure turned out a lot better than I had hoped for, but yeah, something needs to be doen with the belt on the robe.

Reaction score

Where the sleeves and base of the robe have no stitches, it looks like they could be trimmed up to shorten them a bit, maybe put a drop of hot glue between to pinch up the extra body fabric on the shoulder blades and I think it'd be more presentable.

Reaction score
Based on those pics this looks like a first rate figure. Ill just need a VOTC Luke shirt to throw on it sometimes.

Reaction score
GNT said:
It is nice but I don't really thing it belongs on this figure all he did was stand, it could benefit Troopers though tremendously! So it looks like they basically reused the entire figure nut sculpted different lower legs and right arm.
Also I think it's about time they make Luke's bare torso look a little more like an actual bare chest instead of cobbled together chunks of plastic, Anakin looks a lot better.

Reaction score
I'm psyched to get this figure. I don't mind the soft goods. Better option than going molded.

E...

Reaction score
My order from BBTS is in my POL, but I am holding off on shipping it until I have more stuff to ship. I am very interested in knowing if MF Luke's head fits on Bespin Luke and I also really want to know if the VOTC Leia head fits on this MF Leia body (don't see why it shouldn't, really).

Reaction score
Darth_Brett said:
My order from BBTS is in my POL, but I am holding off on shipping it until I have more stuff to ship. I am very interested in knowing if MF Luke's head fits on Bespin Luke and I also really want to know if the VOTC Leia head fits on this MF Leia body (don't see why it shouldn't, really).
same here. that'll be the difference between buying and skipping the MF figures for me.

Reaction score
gobot said:

What is this stupid thing?? it looks like some kinda heavy duty antanae, or a girly lightsaber, or it got packed in on accident..
jediblood said:
I'm guessing it is a tool used to 'tune-up' his arm.
soloboy5 said:
That little silver thing is the communicator he uses to talk to Lando in the Falcon. When they say they'll rendevous on Tatooine.
Not 100% sure but i believe it's indded a tool used by the 2-1B medical droïd to test the robotic hand. IMO, it would make more sense as the prosthetic hand is opened on the figure.

Reaction score
TK_842 said:
gobot said:

jediblood said:
I'm guessing it is a tool used to 'tune-up' his arm.
soloboy5 said:
Not 100% sure but i believe it's indded a tool used by the 2-1B medical droïd to test the robotic hand. IMO, it would make more sense as the prosthetic hand is opened on the figure.
I pretty sure it's the communicator Luke uses to talk to lando.

Reaction score
Masterfett said:
It is nice but I don't really thing it belongs on this figure all he did was stand, it could benefit Troopers though tremendously! So it looks like they basically reused the entire figure nut sculpted different lower legs and right arm.
Also I think it's about time they make Luke's bare torso look a little more like an actual bare chest instead of cobbled together chunks of plastic, Anakin looks a lot better.
Keep in mind the chunks-of-plastic look, and the ball-hinge hips, are due to the VOTC Luke being the base for this. That's the only reason he's so articulated... cheaper to swap one forearm, a head, and lower legs, than to sculpt a new "Medical Frigate Luke".

Oh, and the greeblie there HAS to be the communicator. If it was something for 2-1B, it'd be with a 2-1B.

Finally dawned on me what ELSE the little gizmo is (though I seem to recall pondering it in this thread earlier... gotta go back & read it, maybe I just forgot the 'revelation' since then): it's the thing Obi-Wan turns when powering down the tractor beam on the Death Star! At least, I think that's it. Time to re-read the thread...

Reaction score
I hope I can salvage something out of this figure. The headsculpt looks decent afterall. But the robe.....the robe..why did that get approved?

Reaction score
nightdriver said:
Darth_Brett said:
same here. that'll be the difference between buying and skipping the MF figures for me.
BD head does fit on the Bespin Luke body but the bespin neck is too long and the BD head socket is too shallow that it gives the impression of a stretched neck.

Reaction score
Picked this one up today - a very nice figure, but the robe is still hideous. It is less puffy than in some of the photos, but still puffy and the belt is way too long. I'll try the water trick and the hot glue trick, see if I can get it to display well... This is why I am usually not a fan of soft goods.

Reaction score
my_kind_of_scum said:
..and the belt is way too long.
It's not just too long, it's as chunky as f*** as well!
There's heaps of alternatives for a nice little tie string besides a REAL bathrobe belt.
It looks incredibly stupid.

Too bad about the head swap idea.. damn!!!

Reaction score
Head looks good in those photos but the rest of that thing is a complete disaster. All of that articulation looks UGLY and the parachute robe creates a perfect storm of badness. What is Hasbro's obsession with playing dress-up with Luke? I don't want girlie toys.

Reaction score
There is something about this figure that I really dont like. I think I will pass and look forward to the DSII luke when he comes.