Luke Skywalker - Jedi Knight (ROTJ)

Reaction score
I received my Death Star II Luke in the mail today that I picked up solely for the purpose of fixing my Walmart Luke.

I kept the Walmart Luke upper torso/arms/head and legs. I swapped out the lower torso/hips from the Death Star II Luke. Rather than try to pop the legs off at the ball joint in the hip, I just popped the legs off at the upper thigh swivel.

Now my Jedi Knight (Jabba’s palace) Luke is perfect. Super duper tight hips. It stinks I had to shell out for a Death Star II Luke just to fix a figure that should never have had this problem in the first place. But it was worth it. This is quite literally my favorite post vintage Kenner Star Wars figure.

All I need to do now is find the perfect black gloved had to swap out for his right hand.

Reaction score
So you bought a Death Star II Luke at aftermarket prices....just to use the crotch piece for tighter hips?

Why didn't you just try a little nail polish on the joints first?

Reaction score
Another thought I had, was wondering if I could get the first version's belt over the sash around the waist of the outer tunic, as Mark is wearing his belt over the Jabbas palace vest in the Endor publicity pics...
It's a possibility, but I have my doubts. The outer diameter of the v2 tunic seems larger than the inner diameter of the v1 belt. I'd be happy to be proved wrong.
Happy to admit that I was wrong! I just tried slipping the belt on over Luke's tunic and it stretches just enough to fit without ripping. Be careful, though...

Reaction score
So you bought a Death Star II Luke at aftermarket prices....just to use the crotch piece for tighter hips?

Why didn't you just try a little nail polish on the joints first?
Well, to say I did it for tighter hips would suggest there was a gradual range of tightness. There was no range, but rather stark contrast. I did it for tight hips as compared to super duper floppy hips.

And all the fixes for tight joints don’t really apply to this issue. The issue is the bar going through the pelvis which is loose. Not sure how to glue the bar on the inside of the pelvis without cracking it apart.

The Death Star II Luke I bought was incomplete so it was cheaper than full aftermarket price.

Jedi Luke (Jabba’s Palace) was my favorite vintage figure when I was a kid. It’s the figure I’ve been most disappointed with Kenner/Hasbro not getting right from POTF2 on up. This is the first post vintage Jedi Luke figure by Hasbro I feel really nails the look. This isn’t just a figure taking up shelf space in my collection. For me, it’s the centerpiece of my Black Series collection. So I wanted this one figure to be as perfect as possible.

Reaction score
Kit bashing success. Just need to see if gloved hand can be safely popped off to complete the throne room duel look.

Head swap was attempted using boil and pop but the new Luke head is way too tight to pop off safely. Anyway, the skin tones match better if I keep the head on the Walmart body.

Yes, the hips are slightly loose, but he stands fine for now

Reaction score
I tried fixing mine with the Pledge trick linked previously and it did nothing. Had to finally throw him out and I ordered another one from Walmart. Hopefully the next one won't be as loose. First figure I've had trouble with like this.

Reaction score
I tried fixing mine with the Pledge trick linked previously and it did nothing. Had to finally throw him out and I ordered another one from Walmart. Hopefully the next one won't be as loose. First figure I've had trouble with like this.
What do you mean “throw him out?” Maybe mail to me! Hope your new one is ok, but I think most have loose ball joints for some reason

Reaction score
Is it possible to heat up and remove his arms?
In theory, it should be possible. I can confirm that the upper torso is soft plastic and gets even softer when heat is applied. That's how I was able to separate the upper and lower torso so that I could give my Walmart Luke the lower torso from a Death Star II Luke. But I haven't tried the arms. Out of curiosity, I might try this on my Krennic figure I bought for $5. That figure has been my test subject for part swapping. Everything I did to part swap my Jedi Luke, I tried on Krennic first.

Once you remove the red on his face, Bowie disappears and he ch-ch-ch-ch-changes into Mark Hamill. View attachment 339877
What chemical did you use and how did you apply it? I have an extra Walmart Luke so I have a spare to try this on.

Reaction score
In theory, it should be possible. I can confirm that the upper torso is soft plastic and gets even softer when heat is applied. That's how I was able to separate the upper and lower torso so that I could give my Walmart Luke the lower torso from a Death Star II Luke. But I haven't tried the arms. Out of curiosity, I might try this on my Krennic figure I bought for $5. That figure has been my test subject for part swapping. Everything I did to part swap my Jedi Luke, I tried on Krennic first.

What chemical did you use and how did you apply it? I have an extra Walmart Luke so I have a spare to try this on.
Clear fingernail polish remover with the precision q tips

Last edited:
Reaction score
Clear fingernail polish with the precision q tips
Fingernail polish or fingernail polish remover? I've used fingernail polish remover on figures before. I used it to strip the black paint wash from the POTF2 Death Star droid so I could have a shiny chrome Death Star Droid like the vintage Kenner figure. But I've never used fingernail polish for anything.

I've used 91% isopropyl alcohol to remove paint washes from several of my Masters of the Universe Classics figures and it worked well. It's just strong enough to remove light paint washes but too weak to remove heavily applied paint. This was perfect for when a figure was cast in a random color, entirely painted in another color, and then had a wash applied on top. Isopropyl alcohol could remove the wash without stripping away the base coat of paint.

Isopropyl alcohol was what I was originally planning on using for this figure, applied with an artist blending tool. But I'm always curious to hear about the different techniques people use. The techniques I use have changed many times due to recommendations I've read online. Thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
I took an extra farmboy Luke belt to put on this figure, and it looks pretty good. The only issue is his waist is too big for it to snap together in the back, so I'm trying to figure out a good way to extend the belt a few centimeters. I always liked the Jabba's palace tabard look with a utility belt on top of the sash, so this makes me happy.

Reaction score
I keep hoping to see him at Walmart, but no dice. It doesn't seem like they've gotten him in yet. Is he being saved for Black Friday or something...?

Reaction score
Founds mine today not 30 feet within the door. Nowhere near toys. Right there at the front entrance by the seasonal stuff where they keep the christmas toy hauls/halloween costumes/above ground pools/beach towels. Full display. grabbed my 2 and i was done. No need for ghost Yoda.

Reaction score
I got tired of trying to find him, so I ordered it online with free in store pick up. Fingers crossed that there are no mishaps with paint or the hair.🤞
Same here. Ordered it on Wednesday and was available by Friday. Haven't had a chance to pick it up. Fingers crossed!

Reaction score
Fingernail polish or fingernail polish remover? I've used fingernail polish remover on figures before. I used it to strip the black paint wash from the POTF2 Death Star droid so I could have a shiny chrome Death Star Droid like the vintage Kenner figure. But I've never used fingernail polish for anything.

I've used 91% isopropyl alcohol to remove paint washes from several of my Masters of the Universe Classics figures and it worked well. It's just strong enough to remove light paint washes but too weak to remove heavily applied paint. This was perfect for when a figure was cast in a random color, entirely painted in another color, and then had a wash applied on top. Isopropyl alcohol could remove the wash without stripping away the base coat of paint.

Isopropyl alcohol was what I was originally planning on using for this figure, applied with an artist blending tool. But I'm always curious to hear about the different techniques people use. The techniques I use have changed many times due to recommendations I've read online. Thanks for sharing.
Fingernail polish remover

Reaction score
Kit bashing success. Just need to see if gloved hand can be safely popped off to complete the throne room duel look.

Head swap was attempted using boil and pop but the new Luke head is way too tight to pop off safely. Anyway, the skin tones match better if I keep the head on the Walmart body.

How’d you get the vest off safely?

Reaction score

I swapped over the gloved hand from the original figure. Be advised, the ball is a little larger on the original figure and it took me little more effort to get off but, with enough heat, they do swap out rather well.

Coz

Reaction score
I swapped over the gloved hand from the original figure. Be advised, the ball is a little larger on the original figure and it took me little more effort to get off but, with enough heat, they do swap out rather well.
Is the gloved hand just his hand painted black or sculpted like a glove. I was thinking of painting his hand black instead of having to buy the other figure.

Reaction score
The original Jedi Luke (Death Star II) just has a hand painted black, fingernails and all. No glove sculpted details.

Reactions: Coz
Reaction score
OK, I kit bashed my own Death Star II Luke from a really lousy $16(shipped) knock off of a SH Figuarts Luke I got on ebay.

I softened the tunic in hot water and was able to slip it down past his hips and legs. Then, I took the Figuarts belt, got it soft in hot water, and slipped it up over his legs and past the hips. Check.

Then I took the Figuarts gloved hand and trimmed the peg a little with an e-xacto knife since it was way bigger than the Black Series wrist hole. I trimmed enough so that it fit snugly. And viola! DS II Luke.

The joints are actually kind of loose on mine. I'll need to put some nail polish or something to get more friction in the joints. But, overall, pretty happy with it. And, I can always configure it to be like Jabba's palace Luke if I get tired of displaying DS II Luke.

Reaction score
My DSII Luke definitely has glove wrinkles and fingernails on the right hand.

You can see the wrinkles if you look closely at Billy Ray's pics. It 's exactly like mine.

Thanks for the suggestion sharky. I've been trying to find an extra belt without spending a lot.

Last edited:
Reaction score
So riddle me this wiggly hips...

I've checked my figure out. Bought 2 only opened one. The hip sit on a "T" right? not a "Y"? so the bar going through the hips is a nice straight 90º horizontal post. I've noticed that the legs wiggle TOGETHER front and back as they are both gripped on that post pretty well but the post itself is what's loose. So whatever attaches the POST to the groin/crotch is the culprit and not the hip joints themselves right? Is that what you guys are seeing?

I think a little hot glue carefully placed might solve all this issue. You just got to be sure to dodge the actual articulation anywhere else. That or just a dab of superglue.

What's everybody else seeing?

Reaction score
OK, I kit bashed my own Death Star II Luke from a really lousy $16(shipped) knock off of a SH Figuarts Luke I got on ebay.

I softened the tunic in hot water and was able to slip it down past his hips and legs. Then, I took the Figuarts belt, got it soft in hot water, and slipped it up over his legs and past the hips. Check.

Then I took the Figuarts gloved hand and trimmed the peg a little with an e-xacto knife since it was way bigger than the Black Series wrist hole. I trimmed enough so that it fit snugly. And viola! DS II Luke.

The joints are actually kind of loose on mine. I'll need to put some nail polish or something to get more friction in the joints. But, overall, pretty happy with it. And, I can always configure it to be like Jabba's palace Luke if I get tired of displaying DS II Luke.
I have a knock off SHF Jedi Luke as well. I stripped his face about a year ago with the intention of repainting it and never got around to it. I had planned to use his belt in particular for exactly this. Nice to know the hand fits too (with some work).

Reaction score
The arm articulation on this thing is atrocious. Gonna use him for custom fodder. But that IS the nicest Luke face on this scale so far