Luke Skywalker - Jedi Exile

Reaction score
It really made him seem like a man that had given up.
Can you blame him though? What a garbage galaxy to live in. Took twenty years to take down the first Skywalker who ruined the galaxy and then the person who redeems him, his son, trains the next Skywalker to ruin the galaxy in the same way but for less convincing reasons. 50 years later we’re back to where we were at the beginning of ROTJ.

I hate this world for the characters, if I was Luke I’d run away to an island too because I’d think to myself, “who ever is writing my story has no imagination”.

Reaction score
I'm a tad disappointed that his stick didn't materialize into a hidden Lightsaber. I mean it's an odd design just to be a "stick", I thought it would be more.
Before the movie came out, one of the Jedi Exile Luke figures (Hot Toys maybe?) listed the stick as a lightning rod. I was imagining that in the film, Luke would summon and redirect lightning with the rod during battle (sort of like Yoda did). Well so much for that.

Reaction score
Yes, I liked that he easily defeated Rey in hand to hand combat until she grabbed the lightsaber, at which point Luke stops fighting, which it seams he didn’t even want to do to begin with.
Yea that kinda bugged me. Honestly if at that point when Rey grabs the saber, if Luke went and ignited his own green lightsaber and put her in her place, I would have lost my ****! I get them wanting to portray Luke as a broken man who's given up, but I would've loved to see Luke just quickly best Rey in a lightsaber duel.

Reaction score
I think the stick fight was enough to show he was a better fighter. The big part of his Exile is he’s tired of violence, also why we don’t get to see him do anything cool. Pretty depressing take on the character.

Reaction score
I think the stick fight was enough to show he was a better fighter. The big part of his Exile is he’s tired of violence, also why we don’t get to see him do anything cool. Pretty depressing take on the character.
That was obviously the intention. At least in the end Luke's death had meaning. He sacrificed himself for both the Jedi and the Resistance to live on, and in doing so making peace with his failures and having no regrets as he, a legend once more, becomes one with the force. Also we'll see Luke again in episode 9, it be a mistake if he wasn't. He may not have a big role but he'll have a presence for sure.

Reaction score
I'm sure we will see a Force Ghost of Luke... if not at least his voice calling to Rey or giving her further instruction in the Force, but yes I think his part if on screen will be similar to Obi Wan in both ESB and ROTJ.

Personally I'd love to see Ewan reprise his role as Obi Wan and appear in EP IX... I'd even love to see Hayden reprise the role of Anakin for a Force Ghost to Kylo

Reaction score
The force ghosts of Obi-Wan and Anakin. I can understand Luke, but I'm not sure where they would have a place

Reaction score
well TFA had both Yoda and Obi Wan reaching out to Rey in the vision so to have Kenobi reach out / appear to Rey is not a far stretch...

Anakin appearing to Ben/Kylo is not a stretch either since Kylo is obsessed with his grandfather... they could have a force ghost of Vader with Anakin removing the mask pleading to his grandson to walk away from the dark side and embrace the light

Reaction score
I think what he means, at least for Obi-Wan, is that it be weird to go from having the Alec Guinness Obi-Wan spirit in episode 5 & 6 to having Ewan's Obi-Wan spirit in 9. In my opinion the only force ghost I can really see appearing in 9 is Luke's for obvious reasons and maybe I could see Anakin's spirit reaching out to Kylo. But thats really it I think.

Reaction score
I think what he means, at least for Obi-Wan, is that it be weird to go from having the Alec Guinness Obi-Wan spirit in episode 5 & 6 to having Ewan's Obi-Wan spirit in 9. In my opinion the only force ghost I can really see appearing in 9 is Luke's for obvious reasons and maybe I could see Anakin's spirit reaching out to Kylo. But thats really it I think.
Agreed. I can see Hayden as a ghost being that Lucas changed it to Hayden from Shaw in the revised ROTJ. The precedent is there. But Ewan? Not a chance.

Anyway the only ghost that I can think could possibly show up would be Luke - but after the dumpster fire known as TLJ who knows what we will see...

Reaction score
Agreed. I can see Hayden as a ghost being that Lucas changed it to Hayden from Shaw in the revised ROTJ. The precedent is there. But Ewan? Not a chance.

Anyway the only ghost that I can think could possibly show up would be Luke - but after the dumpster fire known as TLJ who knows what we will see...
Being the last of the big 3 OT characters that can actually still be apart of the story, I cant see JJ not bringing Mark back to play Luke especially with how they set him up to come back as a force ghost at the end of 8. If it fits the story then theres no reason not to.

Reaction score
Being the last of the big 3 OT characters that can actually still be apart of the story, I cant see JJ not bringing Mark back to play Luke especially with how they set him up to come back as a force ghost at the end of 8. If it fits the story then theres no reason not to.
You all are missing the point. Disney wants Luke and Han out of these movies, they’re buffoons in their eyes. Rey doesn’t need Luke, Luke already said bye to Leia. Yoda already said Rey’s training was complete before she met Luke, essentially. Disney wants all that’s good in Star Wars forgotten or killed if they have to, stop hanging onto the past and accept that these movies won’t include anything we want to see, or even anything likeable.

Reaction score
You all are missing the point. Disney wants Luke and Han out of these movies, they’re buffoons in their eyes. Rey doesn’t need Luke, Luke already said bye to Leia. Yoda already said Rey’s training was complete before she met Luke, essentially. Disney wants all that’s good in Star Wars forgotten or killed if they have to, stop hanging onto the past and accept that these movies won’t include anything we want to see, or even anything likeable.
I disliked TLJ more than anyone but you're making a lot of assumptions there based off off...nothing really.

Reaction score
If Disney saw Han Solo as a "buffoon" and wanted him out of their movies why would they even bother making an entire standalone movie based on the character? They cant just keep telling stories in the same eras with the same characters, they need to branch out and explore new things. Theres an entire galaxy of stories to tell!

Reaction score
If Disney saw Han Solo as a "buffoon" and wanted him out of their movies why would they even bother making an entire standalone movie based on the character? They cant just keep telling stories in the same eras with the same characters, they need to branch out and explore new things. Theres an entire galaxy of stories to tell!
I was using hyperbole but you’re right, there’s a whole galaxy of stories to tell, why not tell crappy stories about characters we haven’t care about for 40 years?

Reaction score
I disliked TLJ more than anyone but you're making a lot of assumptions there based off off...nothing really.
Well Yoda did say Rey didn’t need training. Luke really isn’t necessary anymore, Rey can do everything but every time she tries to kill Kylo the environment splits apart and she has to run.

Reaction score
I was using hyperbole but you’re right, there’s a whole galaxy of stories to tell, why not tell crappy stories about characters we haven’t care about for 40 years?
So you believe that these new stories Disney and Lucasfilm are telling are doing the established legacy characters (Luke, Han, Leia) an injustice? Like doing a young Han Solo movie will be a disservice to the character introduced 40 years ago?

Reaction score
I think it would just be too confusing for the audience to have a group of Force ghost chiming in. Luke is understandable for Rey as he's the closest thing to a mentor she has. Just as Obi-Wan was for Luke throughout the OT. Yoda and then Anakin didn't come in till the end, and was really only a goodbye and thank you scene. TBH, Force ghost Obi, Yoda and Anakin should ahve been doing a etter jobe prior to these events! Where the heck were they, specifically Anakin, when Kylo was being seduced by Snoke? Or where was Yoda and Obi-Wan's support for Luke during that difficult time?

It's almost as if they went silent for no reason until they were needed for TLJ. So my question would be, why even bother with Force ghosts now?

Reaction score
So you believe that these new stories Disney and Lucasfilm are telling are doing the established legacy characters (Luke, Han, Leia) an injustice? Like doing a young Han Solo movie will be a disservice to the character introduced 40 years ago?
Not sure if I understand you, but yes, I have no interest in the Solo movie.

Reaction score
I think it would just be too confusing for the audience to have a group of Force ghost chiming in. Luke is understandable for Rey as he's the closest thing to a mentor she has. Just as Obi-Wan was for Luke throughout the OT. Yoda and then Anakin didn't come in till the end, and was really only a goodbye and thank you scene. TBH, Force ghost Obi, Yoda and Anakin should ahve been doing a etter jobe prior to these events! Where the heck were they, specifically Anakin, when Kylo was being seduced by Snoke? Or where was Yoda and Obi-Wan's support for Luke during that difficult time?

It's almost as if they went silent for no reason until they were needed for TLJ. So my question would be, why even bother with Force ghosts now?
That’s a good point, and one I’ve already been thinking about. The PT, TCW, and the OT all built towards this idea that transcending physical form was the highest accomplishment a force user could achieve, and that only a select few could.

The implication was always that being a force ghost gave that person the ability to influence events in more ways than their physical form could. So far that’s only been Obi-wan telling Luke to use the force at the Death Star and having little chats on dagobah. With TLJ we see Yoda burn down a tree.

So far it looks like becoming a force ghost is just a cool way for our characters to be lonely and indulge in vanity. Sure their consciousness is preserved but most of the time they don’t do anything with it. Why would Anakin let Kylo even happen? Wasn’t that the whole point of transcendence? To be better able to influence events in the material world?

Once again Disney is just trivializing everything from the original saga to make back their $4B.

Reaction score
In the "From a Certain POV" book, they make it clear that it's extremely painful/difficult for a dead Force entity to manifest itself in the living world, even w/ extensive training.

And while I'm mentioning the new canon books, in the "Legends of Luke S." book, Luke says that one of his greatest fears is self sacrifice. E.g. What Obi-Wan did in front of him on the Death Star.

Reaction score
Not sure if I understand you, but yes, I have no interest in the Solo movie.
Sorry maybe I should have phrased that a bit better. Do you think the direction Disney and Lucasfilm decided to take the already established OT characters is a disservice to the characters of Luke, Han, and Leia. Like do you think they're ruining these beloved characters?

Reaction score
Sorry maybe I should have phrased that a bit better. Do you think the direction Disney and Lucasfilm decided to take the already established OT characters is a disservice to the characters of Luke, Han, and Leia. Like do you think they're ruining these beloved characters?
Yes. I do.

Reaction score
In the "From a Certain POV" book, they make it clear that it's extremely painful/difficult for a dead Force entity to manifest itself in the living world, even w/ extensive training.

And while I'm mentioning the new canon books, in the "Legends of Luke S." book, Luke says that one of his greatest fears is self sacrifice. E.g. What Obi-Wan did in front of him on the Death Star.
That’s just ******* stupid. The whole point of transcending is to be able to manifest to others. Luke committed an act of self sacrifice in ROTJ, self sacrifice is crucial to his character. I’m glad I didn’t read that dimwit’s book; it sounds miserable.

Who would have thought an industry based on nepotism and ****** assault couldn’t find talent that could pass an AP English class.

Reaction score
That’s a good point, and one I’ve already been thinking about. The PT, TCW, and the OT all built towards this idea that transcending physical form was the highest accomplishment a force user could achieve, and that only a select few could.

The implication was always that being a force ghost gave that person the ability to influence events in more ways than their physical form could. So far that’s only been Obi-wan telling Luke to use the force at the Death Star and having little chats on dagobah. With TLJ we see Yoda burn down a tree.

So far it looks like becoming a force ghost is just a cool way for our characters to be lonely and indulge in vanity. Sure their consciousness is preserved but most of the time they don’t do anything with it. Why would Anakin let Kylo even happen? Wasn’t that the whole point of transcendence? To be better able to influence events in the material world?

Once again Disney is just trivializing everything from the original saga to make back their $4B.
Yes. I do.
After watching the mess of TLJ, specifically pissing on Luke's character, I'm not trusting Disney with the GFFA. I am really pessimistic about "Solo."

That’s just ******* stupid. The whole point of transcending is to be able to manifest to others. Luke committed an act of self sacrifice in ROTJ, self sacrifice is crucial to his character. I’m glad I didn’t read that dimwit’s book; it sounds miserable.

Who would have thought an industry based on nepotism and ****** assault couldn’t find talent that could pass an AP English class.
Ghost Obi-Wan: "I can not interfere."
Disney Ghost Yoda: "Gonna make it rain up in here."

Reaction score
Force Ghost Yoda did that to prove a point to Luke, Ben Kenobi didn't interfere because he wanted Luke to figure it out.

Reaction score
After watching the mess of TLJ, specifically pissing on Luke's character, I'm not trusting Disney with the GFFA. I am really pessimistic about "Solo."

Ghost Obi-Wan: "I can not interfere."
Disney Ghost Yoda: "Gonna make it rain up in here."
Get GFFA out of your head, it’ll just be the republic or something, it’s all bull **** really. Disney acted so smart that they weren’t going to do Sith again. If you just copy the exact same plots with slightly different outcomes and rename things you aren’t doing anything smart or new.

Reaction score
Disney acted so smart that they weren’t going to do Sith again. If you just copy the exact same plots with slightly different outcomes and rename things you aren’t doing anything smart or new.
I agree with you on this but Its almost like I expected them to follow a similar narrative/storyline with the episodic films. George Lucas himself said it best, "it's like poetry, they rhyme. Every stanza kinda rhymes with the last one". Do I agree with all the decisions made in both 7 & 8? No. But I won't judge the Sequel Trilogy as a whole until the trilogy is complete. My final judgement of the ST will be saved for when episode 9 is released. I still think right now Rogue one is the better of the 3 SW films Disney has released so far.

Reaction score
So, about that Luke figure...
Had him in my basket at wal-mart last night and took him back out again. I dunno, there's just something about the figure I'm not warming up to. I guess I'll make do with the first release until the crait version comes out.

Reaction score
wow... I have never seen so much disgust/hate over a SW movie... was it the best of the series... yes and no. did it have problems (absolutely)... but I don't think it warrants all the hate over it. all in all it was a great movie! I enjoyed it and while yes I'm not crazy about Luke's story in the film you can sorta draw parallels to the OT and PT with Luke... both of his mentors went into hiding after they lost. Yoda going into hiding/exile on Dagobah and Ben on Tatoonie.

now we have Luke where he has failed his padawan (Ben Solo) going into exile to hide his shame/guilt similar to Kenobi after he fails to bring Anakin back from the dark side.

Reaction score
Kenobi started his exile in shame but it became protecting and training the future. That was the difference, Luke has no interest in preserving the future of the Jedi. We assume Rey will be the future of the Jedi Order (maybe she'll train broom boy) but it seems Rian Johnson wasn't too keen on past Jedi mythos and dogma. Maybe JJ will be.