Luke Skywalker (Hoth) - Archive Line

Reaction score

got my Luke in from Amazon today. i guess the face print doesnt look too bad? just looks like he has on a bunch of mascara lol

Reaction score
I had to take a toothpick dipped in acetone and scrape around the eyes to get it to look somewhat normal. HUGE difference from before.

Reaction score
They did a poor job on the eyes on this figure.
I honestly think it's just another example of the photo real not really translating as well on an old sculpt that wasn't sculpted with it in mind. I'm not really sure what the actual mechanics are for the photo real process, but it just seems that it doesn't work as well on older sculpts than it does on a new one. While the figures that have been updated with photo real do look better, there's something "off" about them, some more than others. I will say, mine looks a lot better in hand than in pics, especially zoomed in. It also looks better from certain angles but there's just something not quite right.

Reaction score
Mine should be arriving today. I'm nervous to see how crazy his paint aps are... I guess if it bothers me I could always wait for a cheap Dagobah Luke and transplant his face.

Reaction score
I honestly think it's just another example of the photo real not really translating as well on an old sculpt that wasn't sculpted with it in mind. I'm not really sure what the actual mechanics are for the photo real process, but it just seems that it doesn't work as well on older sculpts than it does on a new one. While the figures that have been updated with photo real do look better, there's something "off" about them, some more than others. I will say, mine looks a lot better in hand than in pics, especially zoomed in. It also looks better from certain angles but there's just something not quite right.
I definitely agree with this. I feel like they will have to give both ROTS Obi Wan and Qui Gon new head sculpts when they re-release those figures. Give Obi Wan the General Kenobi head. I still think that Island Journey Rey is the best photo real figure that they have produced and she was one of the first too.

Reaction score
When I got mine last week, there were two, one had great eyes, the other had one VERY googled eye. I'll let you guess which I bought.

Reaction score
The VERY googled eye?

:cool:
I would've subverted fanboy expectations if I had, lol.

Actually in hindsight, I'm planning to swap out for a 'hatless' Luke head anyway, so I suppose the altruistic thing to do would have been to buy the gobbledy googled eye Luke and left the better one for someone else. :unsure:

Reaction score
Not saying I got a perfect one, but mine looks good enough in hand. His eyes are straight, without any real bleeding outside the lines. Once you start zooming in on them, it kind of falls apart. It also seems to matter which way the light catches them. When I first picked it up in store, in the packaging it looked a little weird, but it was the only one they had. I debated on putting it back but got it anyway. Once I opened him up it looked fine. Anyway, when I look at him in hand I pretty much see this:

1611328107541.png

Reaction score
Is the layer underneath white?
Yep, it's white underneath.

You can see how the corners of each eye are now showing a bit of white. Before I did this, it was all blue/black.

I'll probably give the lower eyelids one more pass, to clean up that spotty eyeliner look some more.

and from a normal distance, without using a phone camera, they look fine.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That’s exactly how the Han Hoth that I bought was! I’m skipping this one though; I actually think the first version looks more like Luke than this archive version does. Plus, no goggles or uniform repaint at all.
I'm on the fence a bit with these archive releases also. Replacing earlier figures based on a hit and miss photo print doesn't quite justify. Save the funds for what I really want. So of course I'll be getting them, Hasbro you win again...:ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Is it just me, or does it look like the eyes are printed slightly off center on all of these? They all seem like his right eye is too close to his nose and his left eye is a bit farther away. And the nose seems slightly crooked.

Reaction score
Is it just me, or does it look like the eyes are printed slightly off center on all of these? They all seem like his right eye is too close to his nose and his left eye is a bit farther away. And the nose seems slightly crooked.
It seems that way in a lot of the pics I’ve seen. Honestly this is a pretty bad figure imo. All the original limitations and the face print is a lot worse than I thought it would be. I have this guy preordered at GS, thinking I’ll cancel. If they haven’t sold it by the time I make it to the store again I’ll check it out but I’m not losing any sleep over missing this guy.

Reaction score
The first time I saw this figure there was only one, so I grabbed him. His eyes were good but not great, so I held off on opening him. I later found one with better eyes so I’ll be returning the first one. This is definitely one where it pays to shop around for the best looking one.

Reaction score
^ I can't imagine how fine of work that has to be to not obliterate the entire eyes! 😱
Oh not at all actually. I was surprised how much pressure and scrapping it took to get even a bit off.

Just use a fresh toothpick with a really sharp point.

I've gone over mine many, many times so far, and it's only gotten better looking. You won't just "erase" anything by accident; not to worry.

...and if you do, I'll just delete this post.

Reaction score
I saw this figure in the store yesterday and was shocked at how bad the face looks. Hoth Han was a little better but Luke looks nothing like Mark.

Reaction score
Might be kind of odd, but has anyone tried swapping the Dagobah Luke head onto this body?

Reaction score
I saw this figure in the store yesterday and was shocked at how bad the face looks. Hoth Han was a little better but Luke looks nothing like Mark.
These were two figures I was really looking froward to in the archive line. But neither of them are worth the $20 asking price (plus I have to factor in shipping across the Atlantic), so I've made the decision to pass on them. In fact, I couldn't see me parting with $10 for them.

Solo is a little better than Luke, as you say. But it's still not that great a figure by any means. What both of them really needed were entirely new sculpted heads.

Shame really. Hoth Han was one of my absolute faves as a kid. :(

Reaction score
These were two figures I was really looking froward to in the archive line. But neither of them are worth the $20 asking price (plus I have to factor in shipping across the Atlantic), so I've made the decision to pass on them. In fact, I couldn't see me parting with $10 for them.

Solo is a little better than Luke, as you say. But it's still not that great a figure by any means. What both of them really needed were entirely new sculpted heads.

Shame really. Hoth Han was one of my absolute faves as a kid. :(
Mine are on the way. I gave in. But I understand that Hoth Han doesn't have wrists like the rest of the figures, which is disappointing. But I also seem to remember someone - might have been @southp_OT fixing this hurdle with the Cassio arms or something.

Reaction score
Mine are on the way. I gave in.
YOU'RE WEAK...WEAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're Viking ancestors would be ashamed.

Seriously though, I was pretty tempted myself. But I just haven't seen good examples to part with the money and to be honest, my space is limited. The old Star Wars figures have to fight tooth and nail with model Tiger tanks, 109's and Spitfires.

I dunno, if I spot them for a fiver somewhere, I might have a go. Right now though, I just can't justify it to myself.

I have tried. :LOL:

Reaction score
YOU'RE WEAK...WEAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're Viking ancestors would be ashamed.

Seriously though, I was pretty tempted myself. But I just haven't seen good examples to part with the money and to be honest, my space is limited. The old Star Wars figures have to fight tooth and nail with model Tiger tanks, 109's and Spitfires.

I dunno, if I spot them for a fiver somewhere, I might have a go. Right now though, I just can't justify it to myself.

I have tried. :LOL:
LOL :D as long as Norse gods smile upon me I am safe ;)
I don't have that problem with Tiger tanks etc. but I do feel I am slowly running out of shelf space in the cabinet I have.

Reaction score
If Hoth Luke looked like this in-store, I’d have bought him. An incredible repaint by Sam on Instagram:

Photo by Sam on January 21, 2021. May be an image of 3 people, food and text that says 'Before UncleSam'.'Before UncleSam'.

http://instagr.am/p/CKTuJVDgbT4/
OMG :eek::eek:(y) This dude is making same badass awesome repaints there. Respect, dude.. Respect.
And this is exactly what I mentioned in another threat. The sculpt is actually there on most of the figures, the paint job is making them looking ugly sometime. Sure, as a modelbuilder myself, I know there has to be a difference between mass-produced paint apps and individual jobs

Reaction score
I’m likely gonna rework my old Luke /Wampa combo figure with some spare parts from a hoth rebel trooper and Snowspeeder Luke. Was tempted to grab the new one, but really wanted them to do a hair more with it in terms of updates

Reaction score
I’m likely gonna rework my old Luke /Wampa combo figure with some spare parts from a hoth rebel trooper and Snowspeeder Luke. Was tempted to grab the new one, but really wanted them to do a hair more with it in terms of updates
Like you still on the fence, I have the original beast sets also and just can't seem to make the jump. The Han jacket color variations are just annoying.