Lost in Space - Netflix

GNT

Reaction score
[h=2]Lost in Space reboot lands at Netflix[/h]In development for over a year now, Deadline brings word that a television reboot of the classic sci-fi series Lost in Space has landed at Netflix after a bidding war for the revival settled.

Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless, who scripted Dracula Untold, The Last Witch Hunter, and the upcoming Gods of Egypt, will executive produce the series with Kevin Burns of Synthesis Entertainment, and director Neil Marshall (Doomsday, The Descent) and Marc Helwig of Applebox. The revival is being written with an eye toward a straight-to-series order with Marshall expected to direct.

Created by Irwin Allen, the original series premiered on CBS in 1965 and went on to last for three seasons and 85 episodes. The series focused on the intergalactic adventures of The Robinson family, who were originally sent into the stars aboard the Jupiter 2 for colonization, but the vessel was sabotaged by the backstabbing Dr. Zachary Smith, whose efforts to disrupt the trip result in the clan being stranded in the cosmos.
Television reboots for Lost in Space have been attempted with both a 1970s cartoon and a 2003 live-action version, directed by legendary filmmaker John Woo, though neither were picked up to series. A feature film reboot of the series was released in 1998 featuring the likes of Gary Oldman, William Hurt, Matt LeBlanc, Mimi Rogers, Heather Graham, and Lacey Chabert among its cast. The big screen treatment only had a moderate reception at the box office but is notable for being the first film to dethrone Titanic from the #1 spot at the box office upon release.

They better not screw it up that's for sure. Could be interesting.

Reaction score
Nice! The reboot of this series has real potential... I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Reaction score
I have high hopes on this. Unlike, I guess, most of the world, I actually really enjoyed the 1998 movie. Gary Oldman was magnificent, and Matt LeBlanc was also very good as a narcissistic, egotistical military guy (I've seen plenty of those in person!). The end got a little....odd, but that's okay.

I really think this could be a strong series if they handle it right.

GNT

Reaction score
Don't worry I enjoyed the 98 movie, I even liked the look of the robot which some people hated. An updated version could do wonders, maybe a little dark and gritty, possibly use some non cheesy elements from the original show in a new way. I just hope they can make something that actually works.

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't get the negativity towards that movie. I rather liked it.

While I may not be into this new version, I'll definitely give it a shot.

Reaction score
I have high hopes on this. Unlike, I guess, most of the world, I actually really enjoyed the 1998 movie. Gary Oldman was magnificent, and Matt LeBlanc was also very good as a narcissistic, egotistical military guy (I've seen plenty of those in person!). The end got a little....odd, but that's okay.

I really think this could be a strong series if they handle it right.
i liked the movie, too. I will be binge watching this. I hope Netflix reboots land of the lost, loved that show and Netflix has yet to put out a show that I do not like (if I watched it)

GNT

Reaction score
[h=2]Taylor Russell joins Netflix’s Lost in Space as Judy Robinson[/h]

TVLine brings word that the first member of the Robinson family has been found for Netflix‘s upcoming reboot of Lost in Space with Falling Skies actress Taylor Russell set to play daughter Judy Robinson. Marta Kristen played the character in the original TV series, with Heather Graham playing the role in the 1998 feature film.

The new Lost in Space series is being reimagined by the feature writing team of Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless (Dracula Untold, Last Witch Hunter), with Zack Estrin (Prison Break) showrunning. The plan is for the new Lost in Space to take its cues from the original series. As such, it will center around the Robinson family, who are forced to come together in a time of crisis. Stranded light years from their intended destination, they find themselves battling a strange new alien environment and also their own personal demons. Equal parts family drama and sci-fi adventure, the new Lost in Space is officially described as being “a survival story for the ages.”

Created by Irwin Allen, the original Lost in Space premiered on CBS in 1965 and went on to last for three seasons and 85 episodes. The series focused on the intergalactic adventures of The Robinson family, who were originally sent into the stars aboard the Jupiter 2 for colonization, but the vessel was sabotaged by the backstabbing Dr. Zachary Smith, whose efforts to disrupt the trip resulted in the clan being stranded in the cosmos.

Zack Estrin serves as executive producer on the new Lost in Space alongside Sazama and Sharpless as well as Synthesis Entertainment’s Kevin Burns (The Curse of Oak Island, Ancient Aliens) and Jon Jashni (Godzilla, Pacific Rim) and Applebox’s Emmy-nominated director Neil Marshall (Game of Thrones, The Descent) and Marc Helwig. Marshall is also set to direct several episodes of the series.

The 10-episode first season is set to air in 2018.

GNT

Reaction score
Has my body watched any of the new Lost in space yet?

Reaction score
I checked throught it past weekend. Although it starts a little slow it, and I needed to get warm to all the differences to the 98' movie ( wich I really loved ). But under the line I think its a pretty nice sci-fi/family drama and I would love to see more, as the cliffhanger end gets the Robinsons really LiS ;)

Reaction score
I'm currently seven episodes in, and I'm really enjoying this show. As stated above, the show is a solid family science fiction drama. The origin of the robot, at least what we know so far, seems to be really interesting, and the attack mode is just General Greivous cool.

The shows main antagonist, Dr. Smith, I simply cannot think of a better actress to play this loathsome individual. She's just quite simply a character that you want to die a horrible death for every devious thing she says and does - and she does it in literally every scene to every person she encounters. She's wonderfully wicked as she manipulates mentally unstable individual's and children alike.

As for the rest of the Robinson family, I absolutely love them all!

Other notable characters are the Japanese family, and smuggler Don who is also a very enjoyable character to watch - I hope he survives.

I'll definitely add this series to my Blu-ray must-have list!

Reaction score
lol you beat me to it!

Really looking forward to this. It's on my must see list, but that is growing more and more with time passing even faster!

Reaction score
Finished watching season 1 and loved it through & through!

The character development is rockstar solid imo, and the development of Maureen, John, Judy, Penny, Will, Dr Smith, Don, etc is illustrated and explored beautifully. In the finale when John tells Don the reasons he loves each of his family members, the viewer feels his passion because it is exactly what has been beautifully crafted for us. Even the secondary characters Like Tagawa, Angela,, and Victor receive some fairly good character development considering their minimal screen time.

The FX are really good and we don't seem to be treated to any really bad CGI tiger moments (Yes, I'm referring to at least one scene in The Walking Dead). Granted, most of the creature scenes in LIS take place in the dark, but they're still on par. The scenes showing the auroras, the illuminated flying creature mass migration, the landscape with the other planets/moons in the daytime and nighttime skies are just beautifully done.

It's not all fantastic, however. There are a couple of occasions where you just know something else is going to go wrong because the formula for this show definitely appears to be:
Bad stuff happens
Characters scramble and brainstorm
Problem resolved in the nick of time
Can see light at end of tunnel
Calamity strikes before reaching said light
Repeat.
The season arc actually follows this formula as well.

In a cool, interesting note, I loved that the Robinson's are not REALLY lost in space until the final moments of season 1. Now, this show is about to get real!!

The plus side is definitely the really diverse characters who are just fun to watch! Penny, who plays like a clean version of Deadpool, is my absolute favorite to watch! While Maureen, and Judy are close 2nd and 3rd, Dr. Smith does steal every scene she's in. She is, without question, the character I love to hate (or maybe hate to love).

Anyway, for sci-fi fans, this show is a must for the beautifully done alien environments alone. Throw in some really fun characters to watch, and repeated viewership is a no-brainer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Finished watching season 1 and loved it through & through!

The character development is rockstar solid imo, and the development of Maureen, John, Judy, Penny, Will, Dr Smith, Don, etc is illustrated and explored beautifully. In the finale when John tells Don the reasons he loves each of his family members, the viewer feels his passion because it is exactly what has been beautifully crafted for us. Even the secondary characters Like Tagawa, Angela,, and Victor receive some fairly good character development considering their minimal screen time.

The FX are really good and we don't seem to be treated to any really bad CGI tiger moments (Yes, I'm referring to at least one scene in The Walking Dead). Granted, most of the creature scenes in LIS take place in the dark, but they're still on par. The scenes showing the auroras, the illuminated flying creature mass migration, the landscape with the other planets/moons in the daytime and nighttime skies are just beautifully done.

It's not all fantastic, however. There are a couple of occasions where you just know something else is going to go wrong because the formula for this show definitely appears to be:
Bad stuff happens
Characters scramble and brainstorm
Problem resolved in the nick of time
Can see light at end of tunnel
Calamity strikes before reaching said light
Repeat.
The season arc actually follows this formula as well.

In a cool, interesting note, I loved that the Robinson's are not REALLY lost in space until the final moments of season 1. Now, this show is about to get real!!

The plus side is definitely the really diverse characters who are just fun to watch! Penny, who plays like a clean version of Deadpool, is my absolute favorite to watch! While Maureen, and Judy are close 2nd and 3rd, Dr. Smith does steal every scene she's in. She is, without question, the character I love to hate (or maybe hate to love).

Anyway, for sci-fi fans, this show is a must for the beautifully done alien environments alone. Throw in some really fun characters to watch, and repeated viewership is a no-brainer.
AHHH! I want to call off work, and binge the hell out of this series.

Reaction score
AHHH! I want to call off work, and binge the hell out of this series.
I hope I didn't over sell it! The Deadpool comparison might be a bit much, but Penny uses that same type of witty sarcastic humor which I really love. That said, I'm going to start rewatching it tonight and I just finished it. :D

Reaction score
Up to episode 5 & I love it! Yes, Penny is stealing the show with her dialog. It really lives up to the original premise of a Swiss Family Robinson in space...every turn reveals peril, and I love thT it’s a dysfunctional family with real issues. Scenery is breathtaking, and I love all the tech. Hope Netflix picks up for Season 2. Has anyone watched The Titan?

Reaction score
I'll go ahead and throw some negativity into the mix. I struggled through the first two episodes. I might get around to the others. I can't agree with the praise of the character development because it all felt tired and cliched to me. The dad seems to be a victim of the "dads are brainless dolts/necessary evils" trope that's been such a bore the last twenty years or so. He's not as horrible as you find elsewhere but he's a bit painful to watch. Judy seems to be a bit of a Mary Sue and her being biracial seems odd and "just because." I have no issues with her being biracial but there's no explanation of it in the first two episodes. She's the middle child and set up as the clear favorite of both the mom and dad which really screams for some sort of explanation since, at best, only one of them can be a biological parent. Again, that's not a huge issue but it's a big enough logical disconnect that it really needs some sort of explanation (I have no idea if they give one at some point or not). Dr. Smith seems to be unnecessarily villainous, which is one of the problems I had with the atrocious movie. I really like Parker Posey so I'm not calling for the lynching of the show's creators like some people I know; however, I would have preferred something closer to the original Dr. Smith. I get the feeling that, if I do watch the rest, I'm going to dislike her or at least be extremely annoyed by her. Their take on the robot could be interesting but I feel the darker tone was a bit superfluous. Later episodes might prove me wrong. Penny and Will didn't make much of an impression on me, and certainly not a positive one. The mom seems like too much of a B, another unnecessary addition to the show. The family didn't need to be perfect but they could have been handled in a more positive way. As it is, they all left me with a very unpleasant aftertaste. I was never a huge fan of the original show so I'm not terribly hung up over any similarities or differences but I would have liked something a bit less negative that I would have been more apt to watch with the whole family as opposed to just watching occasionally when nothing else piques my interest.

GNT

Reaction score
You tell me!

:grin:
Post failure, darn auto correct changing my words lol

I'm 4 episodes in and I'm really enjoying it so far, I've seen all the original 60s episodes and the 90's movie and I love both so I thought going into this I'd hate all the changes but in only 4 episodes I'm really enjoying it and don't mind all the changes they've made. This show is a new lease of life on an old franchise and it works, the character drama is what I'd expect in a family.

I look forward to seeing how it goes from here but a big thumbs up from me so far.

Reaction score
RomanXKnight,

Everything you mentioned is eventually addressed, developed, answered, and resolved within the seasonal arc. No disrespect meant but, you likely wouldn't stop reading a book after 2 chapters so why do it with a televised serial? You've just seen the vaneer of dad, mom, Judy, robot, Smith, etc. I'd encourage watching the entire season before writing it off. At that point, your assessment is more than legit and if you still think it stinks, fair enough.

Peace.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The wife and I finally were able to take in the first episode last night after the lil one went to sleep....

Thumbs up thus far! And holy smokes - the 4k version on Netflix is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!!!

Reaction score
Got wifey to watch episode 1...and now she’s hooked. I stopped watching, so she can catch up. Darn, didn’t realize that was Bill Mumy at the end...he is 64 now.

Reaction score
RomanXKnight,

Everything you mentioned is eventually addressed, developed, answered, and resolved within the seasonal arc. No disrespect meant but, you likely wouldn't stop reading a book after 2 chapters so why do it with a televised serial? You've just seen the vaneer of dad, mom, Judy, robot, Smith, etc. I'd encourage watching the entire season before writing it off. At that point, your assessment is more than legit and if you still think it stinks, fair enough.

Peace.
I watched a few more episodes and I'll agree that some stuff is resolved. They've yet to resolve Judy's Mary Sue-ness and actually made it worse. I'm also still more annoyed than anything with the parents. My biggest issue with the series is that the writing just isn't that good. The Robinson family relationships don't strike me as plausible largely due to the fact that they've omitted little details that could make it feel more authentic. I kind of zone out whenever Dr. Smith hits the screen because I've lost all interest in her. The robot could be interesting but I don't have a lot of faith in the writers being able to accomplish that. If they prove me wrong, great, but I'm not holding my breath at this point. I get the feeling they decided they wanted to get from Point A to Point B over the course of this season and any plot points or character development are purely incidental. I think the series would have been better served with a much shorter setup (really, do you need a whole season to get the characters in a show called "Lost in Space" to finally be lost?).

Reaction score
I only watched the first episode last night. I really liked it.

My one gripe as an old guy that enjoyed the original series re-runs on sci-fi back in the early 90s is, I wish the robot was a little more of an homage in appearance to the original. It looks a little too "This ain't your grampy's Lost in space!" looking. If that makes any sense. I mean it's cool, it's fine, the origin being different I could go either way; I just would have preferred it be a little more of a harken to the original.

Reaction score
I finished it up this morning. I was completely underwhelmed. I felt the writing was lazy and there was far too much drama for drama's sake. Just because something can go wrong doesn't mean throwing it in makes your show any better. Sometimes you need to just get to the point. The narrative arc presented in S1 could have easily been achieved in half the time. By the time it got to the climactic scene in E10, I really couldn't muster any concern for the characters or their plight. I also feel they've kind of painted themselves into a corner with Dr. Smith. She's a sociopathic, compulsive liar. Anything they do to make her sympathetic in S2 simply won't ring true because that won't be an honest handling of her character. Compared to "Stranger Things" and their Marvel shows, this felt like a huge misfire.

Reaction score
ive only watched the first episode so far. and i liked it enough, i am going to watch the rest. but i wanted to whine like a baby a little about a few things that bugged me.
not going to go crazy into detail here. but there were more than a few scenes that were irritating me in how much of a hurry they didnt seem to be in while trecking over to get the magnesium "i think thats what it was?" to try to save the daughter frozen in ice.
they also seemed in no rush to even start looking for any shelter or anything else. and i face palmed when the girl shot the flare off, that looked like it went a solid 20 feet in the air, like an hour after all the other ships had already passed.
i really dont see the need for the way overdone extreme redesign of the robot. EXTREME!
and when Will fell down the hole, i mean how far could he have fallen? how far could he have traveled? he came out right into some forest. they were just way up high on the glaciers, hiking with absolutely nothing in site but ice. and somehow the kid just slide down some sort of slip and slide hole and came out into a forest that they didnt see at all from the top. [FONT=&quot]¯\_(ツ)_/¯[/FONT]

Reaction score
Same here. Pilot aside, big improvement on Irwin Allen’s silly original series.