Designed 3D model for a table:

and for a chair:

Printed it (PLA):

Sanded, primed and painted:

Last edited:

Utinniii

Reaction score
Those look great!
How long did it take for you to design them?

Reaction score
Those look great!
How long did it take for you to design them?
Thank you!
Chair and table are very simple design-wise, it just take some time to learn the modeling software (it was my first experience in 3D modeling). Overall i would say it's maybe an hour or two for more or less experienced designer.

Reaction score
Part 2: Emperor's throne.

Inspired by amazing BARF's creation I've tried to create 1/12 throne with styrofoam, but it didn't go well. I've spend nearly whole August on that project, but ultimately decided it's not good enough. Instead, I decided to model and print it. Designing throne, however, was not so easy, so I shelved if for a while and started learning 3D modeling and practiced on my other project, Cantina set (above).

In the middle of September I was confined enough in my modeling skills (oh, how wrong I was...), I've started modeling throne.
It didn't go well. I've changed software I used, several times I've started from scratch. Then, after about month of modeling (about an hour every night), I had model I considered good and I've printed it. How excited I was!

But it turned out I've messed up with measurements so my first model was too short for the Emperor. He could only seat in it if he would be headless.

Model was scaled, adjusted, minor details added here and there. I've decided I'll print top and bottom part in FDM to make is cheaper, but for 3 control units it wouldn't work. I needed more precise printing, and that means SLA (which cost 5x times more).

Long story short, at firsts of November I had 2 parts of the throne which looked good and like 10 different variations of control units, printed by different printers with different technologies - SLS and SLA.

Now I only needed 1 month to sand, prime, sand again and again and finally paint it!

Model:

Printed and sanded throne:

Painted:

Reaction score
And final part for now (I do have some other projects in progress, but knowing how fast I'm working it will take 3-4 months until I'll get results I will like) - what's next?

Ideally, I would like to share it with community in one way or another. Ideally, it would be nice to make something like Space Walls guys did - producing furniture and other props in small series for all the fans who are interested. I didn't have time to look how to do it yet, but I will. Mass 3D printing won't work, post processing like sanding for FDM prints is too time consuming, and SLA prints will cost too much.

And I don't have my own printer anyway, I've used shapeways for SLS and 3Dhubs for FDM and SLA printing.
I thought about purchasing one, but good enough SLA printer is about $1200 and FDM, again, is not good enough for things like custom heads, weapons and small props like this:

(Box on top photo is my design based on SWTOR reference, box on bottom photo is from 3D model I found on Thingiverse).

And without printer it cost too much to do trial and error prints.
I did some math, and it looks like using 3D hubs cost as much as 3x of material cost (for both FDM and SLA).

So, for now, if anyone is interested, I can order print (using 3D hubs) of cantina set or throne for you. Price will be whatever 3D hubs charges for printing and shipping + 25% fee for my design. You'll get item(s) you'll need to sand, prime and paint the way you like. Not sure I'll get anything, I'm terrible in selling, but if I will, I'll spend it on SLA printer.

At the same time, I'll try to learn something about mass production - that would down the cost tremendously and would produce much cleaner items, which won't require sanding/polishing.

Let me know if you like to buy something.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Good to see you here, I’m Batsmolossus on Reddit. If I had one nit to pick it’s that the throne has two split surfaces with borders at the head of the throne, with some sort of circular shapes towards the center. Is that something you could add to the model? The files should be scalable too right? So you could reduce the size for 3.75?

Reaction score
<...> If I had one nit to pick it’s that the throne has two split surfaces with borders at the head of the throne, with some sort of circular shapes towards the center. Is that something you could add to the model?
I could if you would show me a picture for reference.

The files should be scalable too right? So you could reduce the size for 3.75?
Yes, absolutely. And it will be much cheaper to print for 3.75

Reaction score
So here’s a behind the scenes shot of the chair that shows the detail: https://m.imgur.com/r/photoshopbattles/7oyNBxa

Here’s the Sideshow 1/6 version as well: http://www.rebelscum.com/SSC16emperorthrone.asp

The head of the chair is a trapezoid with a raised border that bisects it vertically. The details toward the center almost look like rings with mesh between them, maybe speakers or amplifiers for his voice when in the throne?

Edit: It also apears the two halves of the trapezoid are at a slight angle to each other so that in the top view the top of the chair would be a pentagon/house shape.

Last edited:
Reaction score
So here’s a behind the scenes shot of the chair that shows the detail: https://m.imgur.com/r/photoshopbattles/7oyNBxa

Here’s the Sideshow 1/6 version as well: http://www.rebelscum.com/SSC16emperorthrone.asp

The head of the chair is a trapezoid with a raised border that bisects it vertically. The details toward the center almost look like rings with mesh between them, maybe speakers or amplifiers for his voice when in the throne?

Edit: It also apears the two halves of the trapezoid are at a slight angle to each other so that in the top view the top of the chair would be a pentagon/house shape.

I'll start working on that.
Modeling wise it's not that hard, but printing could be tricky.

Reaction score
The border could probably be achieved though painting. I think adding some thickness and that beveled chevron shape would be enough.

Reaction score
Part 3. Z-6 rotary blaster cannon

After two and a half years I finally got my own 3D printer and decided to materialize some ideas I had for a long time. And first in line was a weapon I really liked in Clone Wars TV-show.

View media item 398376View media item 398372

Z-6 rotary blaster cannon!

Initially, I wanted to take an easy way and decided that something as iconic as that weapon should be already modeled by somebody else. And I was right - there are few 3D models available, and one of them was free to download on Thingverse.

I've printed it slightly smaller than is should have been for 6 inch figures and inspected.

View media item 398410
I didn't like what I saw.

View media item 398408
First of all, some elements made no sense from engineering perspective. For example, why would all six barrels go all the way through to the main chamber? They should have been cut before that. Magazine location also didn't make sense - it's too high. Little quirks here and there which annoyed me. But most important, I didn't like two things:
  • model was too blocky, main chamber for example, was not really rounded as you can see on the photo above.
  • gun handle would not work with Black series figures - the angle was wrong. I played with different weapons for my clones and knew that clone figure joints are not flexible enough to use that handle.
So, I decided to make my own model!

First things first - I needed a reference:

View media item 398370
As you can see, it has the same problem as the thingverse model - the handle just not practical. The angle of that handle is good if you planning to fire from the shoulder or from the chest, but if you gonna keep cannon lower, like clones do in the show, your wrists will bend really awkwardly.

View media item 398411
See? Angle just plain wrong, especially for action figures with limited mobility of the joints.

So, I've changed that on my model:

View media item 398405View media item 398406
It took several attempts to make model which not only looked good and close enough to reference materials, but also could be printed without failures on my 3D printer (SLA printers, at least in that price range, are still not really in "press the button and get ideal print" area).

Here's how it looks directly after printing and removing supports:

View media item 398384
View media item 398383
First fitting tries with black series and figuarts clones:

View media item 398378
View media item 398380
Oh, boy!

Now I only need to paint it. Problem is - I'm horrible with painting. I'm an engineer, not the artist. Cantina set and emperor's throne I made back in 2017 took me a month to paint. So I've recruited my wife, who's also Star Wars fan and good artist.

And that's what she did:

View media item 398403
View media item 398401
View media item 398399
I can say I helped - I've primed all the guns with the airbrush :) That's how far my skills can take me.

Time to pose!

View media item 398388
View media item 398386
View media item 398394
View media item 398391
View media item 398395
View media item 398393
But what about that handle, you can ask?

Look how well it works with not "movie accurate" angle:

View media item 398412
It took me about 3 weeks to go from printing thingverse model to having finished guns of my own design for my collection. Time to remember what are other things I always wanted to have for my clones!

Reaction score
The animators probably went for pretty before function. I'd be willing to bet that most animators for the show wouldn't know how a gun like that works in real life. No slam against them, just has to be form over function. I love your take!

Reaction score
Part 4: Mouse droid MSE-6

Some projects takes months of your time, others can happen literally overnight.
Certain weapon from Clone Wars I really wanted to bring to life was disastrous project from the beginning: it took at least 10 iterations to get model I liked, but then my wife realized paining it will be harder than we anticipated. So I decided to take a short break and make something different.

With Hondo and DJ R-3X from Galaxy Edge exclusive packs finally released, only one thing from those stupidly expensive 3-packs left for me to desire - the mouse droid! I've remembered about it, went to check eBay and found zero listings. That was a sign!

As always, I started with well known sites with free and paid 3D models, but, as always, I found nothing I liked. One model from Thingverse was actually good, but it was larger than needed for 6 inch scale, and making it smaller would create issues with printing - some intricate details would be lost. Also, as I realized much later, that model does not have right proportions. So I decided to make my own.

I managed to find pretty decent blueprint of MSE-6 with all dimensions, so modeling was pretty straightforward. There were some issues with two small details - side panels and so called "greeblies" (funny parts on the top of the mouse). It was possible to model them to be "screen accurate", but printing them in scale would be really hard - details were too small. So I slightly modified both parts to make them less detailed. Even Kotobukiya did the same for their 1/10 statue, and they have much better equipment than I do:

So, simplifying is okay, as long as it looks good.

Here we go, completed model I got after few prototypes:

To make process of printing and post-processing easier, I've split model into few pieces:

One detail was too thin and slightly deformed, but it's fine - it is still flexible enough and will be straighten after gluing.

I was so pleased with the result, I printed my "kit" one more time - to experiment with the painting. I could paint something that simple myself, I thought.

Kit #1: "Night mouse":

Kit #2: "Glitter critter":

Family photo:

I liked black one more, my wife preferred dark silver.

She weathered them both for final photo session:

You! Do you have MSE-6 in your collection?

That's mouse droid after all, they should be everywhere...

Overall, it was really fun side project which only took about 10 day of work on and off.

As soon as my wife will get to her PC, she'll add unpainted "mouse droid kit" and painted version to her Etsy shop.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Love the mouse, and like you, this would be the only reason to get those overpriced GE set.
Checked your etsy and saw it listed already, but I was not able to order. Would you consider sending international ( Austria /Europe )

Reaction score
Part 5: Mortar

I really like Captain Rex and story arcs with him in The Clone Wars. Re-watching Umbara's arc in the Season 4, I noticed one interesting weapon Rex's clones were using in one - and only one! - episode, "Carnage of Krell". This one:

"Get those mortars up here!" - yells Rex.

All right, cap, we will.
Turns out, mortars indeed were shown only in that one episode. But it doesn't make them any less cool, right?

So I decided I need one too.

Luckily for me, there's a concept document for this episode with more or less detailed picture of the mortar:

If you look carefully, you'll notice some issues with those blueprints. I didn't and I paid my price in time spent on this project later...

So, I started modelling.

At first, I didn't like the sight or range finder on the reference photos. Somewhere on interned I found somebody's picture of 3D modeled mortar with different sight and decided to go with that other option.

That's not the first model I created, obviously, that's the one I finally liked enough to start painting.

I also modeled and printed mortar round:

First and second attempt in painting:

It was PITA to paint, and my wife again did majority of work here. But I liked what we did.

The only problem I had with it - it looked rather small. I mean, how can clones use sight / range finder located that low?

I started to work on item accessories for the mortar, printed a few iterations, but then I realized something - size of the mortar on the reference blueprint does not match the size of the mortar in the show!

Barrel in the show is longer and have slightly different proportions.
All right, I said. I'll change the barrel (and everything else, as it turned out), and I also make show-accurate sight.

Here comes new version:

Comparing old and new versions:

This one looks better!

But obviously, that was not all.
Even when I thought my first version was good enough, I started working on alternative model:

If clones were able to carry them, my action figures should be able to do so as well.

And here I found another issue with the reference blueprint. It doesn't show how the mortar can be carried. It says how mortar rounds shall be, but nothing about the mortar.

And that's how it looks like in the show:

Mortar just attached to the backpack.

Hm.

I didn't want to glue it to my figures. I like swapping accessories.
So, I decided to make my own backpack.

And that took me few weeks - to make sizes and proportions right!

Finally, I had backpack that could be attached to any "standard" black series clone. Black:

and white:

Mortar can be snapped in for carrying:

And last, but not least, I re-modeled rounds:

Yay!
Only took me two months!

For something, what was shown in the single episode of The Clone Wars :)

Reaction score
Part 6: RPS-6 rocket launcher

Another cool weapon from The Clone Wars and The Rebels with significantly more screen time than the previous one - rocket launcher.

Unfortunately, I was not able to find a good blueprint for this one. Hot Toys is about to release their 1/6 clones with that weapon, but their promo photos does not match the in show appearance. Also, it appears The Clone Wars version is slightly different than the one from The Rebels: color and some proportions are not the same. So I decided to make something in between - I liked the color schema from the Rebels, but proportions were better in The Clone Wars.

It took me few iterations of modeling, printing and fitting to get final result I liked:

Even unpainted, those rocket launchers looked really cool.

(It looks even better if your clone action figures have elbow mod, but works even with unmodified figures).

For painting me and my wife decided to use two color schemas - darker one, similar to The Clone Wars, and grey-ish, like in The Rebels.

Can't really say which one I like more.

For this custom weapon I had another improvement in mind. It would be cool - I thought - to allow clones to carry it on a back, like in the show:

So, I've changed model a little bit and added piece of faux leather strap.

I experimented a little bit with materials for the strap and with the way where it's connected to the weapon.
Black plastic also looks cool, but it's less flexible.

Even faux leather strap, however, is not flexible enough to look "natural" when you pose the action figure with launcher on the shoulder. But that's the problem we have with all the straps, even the ones Hasbro makes.

So for my wife's shop I decided to have two options - one with the strap and one without.