LightSword's Corner: A Tour of my Collection

Reaction score
Thanks, my friend. It does suck, doesn't it? You pay $150.00 for a membership and you get to fix your own messed up mini busts delivered to your door, or break their parts off and send those back for a chance to get more of the same. Out of the four mini busts I've received from GG lately three of them have had issues. Replaced the McSandy only to get one back with minor issues, but issues nonetheless, where I still had to straighten a bent rifle barrel. Waiting to see now how next year's Ponda Baba and Tarkin get delivered: Any broken parts? ... any wobbly paint applications?... a bent weapon? ... any separated parts? ... chipped paint? ... poor Styrofoam tray? Anything is possible so, I'm getting prepared. Hate to be a "whiner" but really ... :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Does Walmart think I will put up the Christmas tree and eat turkey while wearing my Halloween costume? - Just a reflection on what I saw the other day there. Oh! I still remember those days when every Holiday had its own space in time. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Good job on the other bust, excellent color matching too - though this is something we shouldn't need to do.

Reaction score
Does Walmart think I will put up the Christmas tree and eat turkey while wearing my Halloween costume? - Just a reflection on what I saw the other day there. Oh! I still remember those days when every Holiday had its own space in time. :)
It's crazy, isn't it?!? Joanna and I went to Office Depot yesterday and saw Christmas stuff for sale. It's September! We just gave each other the WTF? look.

Reaction score
Thanks, my friend. It does suck, doesn't it? You pay $150.00 for a membership and you get to fix your own messed up mini busts delivered to your door, or break their parts off and send those back for a chance to get more of the same. Out of the four mini busts I've received from GG lately three of them have had issues. Replaced the McSandy only to get one back with minor issues, but issues nonetheless, where I still had to straighten a bent rifle barrel. Waiting to see now how next year's Ponda Baba and Tarkin get delivered: Any broken parts? ... any wobbly paint applications?... a bent weapon? ... any separated parts? ... chipped paint? ... poor Styrofoam tray? Anything is possible so, I'm getting prepared. Hate to be a "whiner" but really ... :)
Agreed 100%. But you did an awesome job on repairing it regardless, well done!

Reaction score
Good job on the other bust, excellent color matching too - though this is something we shouldn't need to do.
Thanks, Sergiu. I guess it is what it is, and we have to deal with inconveniences as they come and try to use our best judgement to get things resolved. And you are right. Indeed, this is something we shouldn't need to do. I don't want to think this will be the norm now. I really want to collect mini busts, not play "doctor" to them while still paying a premium.

Agreed 100%. But you did an awesome job on repairing it regardless, well done!
Thanks, Travis. Not too happy having to work on it, although I have to say it was a bit entertaining. Hadn't really done any "fixing up" to my collectibles since I re-weathered the 1/7 scale Koto Sandtroopers a couple of years ago. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
It's crazy, isn't it?!? Joanna and I went to Office Depot yesterday and saw Christmas stuff for sale. It's September! We just gave each other the WTF? look.
Indeed, Ben. We have become such a market-driven society. What we see I believe it to be retailer competition at its best, something that's been creeping in for years, more and more each year. Most retail stores make the big bucks during this time, so why not roll up every Holiday of the Season into a four month "Holiday Creep", and squeeze the most out of the consumers pockets. I think decades ago for the most part, the sales of Holiday product were targeted at each specific Holiday, emphasizing on the meaning of what was being celebrated. Today it seems we have skipped the meaning and gone directly for the cash. The earlier things get put out, the more they will sell. The interesting thing is that most people don't like this idea of having it all together, but we have really done nothing to let retailers know we don't like it, and it's turned into what we have today. Call it "Holiday Creep", which in my opinion I think takes away from the whole Holiday experience and changes of the Season.

Here is an example of this "Holiday Mash-Up":

Last edited:
Reaction score

Here is an example of this "Holiday Mash-Up":

That is the most disturbing thing I have ever seen, a flipping Halloween Christmas tree. Obviously the workers who did this cannot even understand how vastly different the backgrounds are of these two holidays and how wrong this concept is. Wow...

Reaction score
That is the most disturbing thing I have ever seen, a flipping Halloween Christmas tree. Obviously the workers who did this cannot even understand how vastly different the backgrounds are of these two holidays and how wrong this concept is. Wow...
The tree has been a Christmas tradition for centuries, but since there's so much craziness going on these days, why not turn it into something else.

That tree kinda reminds of this :grin:

That's pretty much the idea. Not sure why there are so many people hating the Holidays these days. I know many see the Season as crazy shoppers rushing into stores and Christmas music playing, which to some folks it is an annoying sound. But I remember back in the late eighties/early nineties when I worked at a hardware store for four years to pay my way through college, one of the happiest times for me was the chance the owners gave me to draw Holiday banners, signs and decorate everything according to the Holiday celebrated each month. I would climb ladders, set up window and store displays for Halloween, Thanksgiving, Hanukkah and Christmas. Decorations weren't all mashed up together, nor did we put them out any earlier than the beginning of October for Halloween, Thanksgiving through November and Christmas right after Thanksgiving Day. The store owners, employees and the clients loved all the changes through the Season. Times have changed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Times have changed indeed, and not sure if for the better. The rush of these days, everything done fast, and too many times without heart...

Reaction score
Times have changed indeed, and not sure if for the better. The rush of these days, everything done fast, and too many times without heart...
Completely agree with you, Sergiu. It's a good thing we got to experience how things were before, because it helps us see the differences from how they are now which in many instances, as you said, they haven't been for the better. As long as we can still separate right from wrong, we are good. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Completely agree with you, Sergiu. It's a good thing we got to experience how things were before, because it help us see the differences from how they are now which in many instances, as you said, they haven't been for the better. As long as we can still separate right from wrong, we are good. :)
Agree with both you and Serg!!

Reaction score
I just came across this movie poster for Star Wars from Russia. I had never seen such bizarrely deceptive poster for the movie :eek: ... I'm wondering if the person that worked on this had seen the movie at all. Vader, The Space Panther???

Last edited:
Reaction score
Check out the Hungarian ones, are the best and most unusual Star Wars posters: http://blog.iso50.com/30503/hungarian-star-wars-posters/

Well, as far as element composition, style and color theory they are far superior to the Russian one. Quite unusual looking, but you can appreciate the art in them. The Russian one, honestly, looks like a 3 year old worked on it. Thanks for sharing the link, Sergiu. I hadn't seen any of those. The one below for Return of the Jedi makes me wonder who that green monster with horns is, though ...

Reaction score
In the mid 90's, after the anti-communist revolution here, I was looking for the Romanian Star Wars vintage cinema posters, they were not as colorful or creative as others, but knowing how big of an impact Star Wars had in my country, I wanted to get them. I had no luck alas. And as you can see there is no ROTJ poster as Ceausescu didn't allow it to be played here.

Here re more vintage posters: http://cvltnation.com/may-force-us-vintage-star-wars-posters-galore/

Reaction score
It is a sad day in the life of any person when a government decides for you how to think, what to watch. So much for individual thought and the right to choose. What a wrongful ideology when even a simple space adventure movie is considered "dangerous" to a system that turns its own people into government slaves. Thank you for sharing the link. As always, very informative.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It is a sad day in the life of any person when a government decides for you how to think, what to watch. So much for individual thought and the right to choose. What a wrongful ideology when even a simple space adventure movie is considered "dangerous" to a system that turns its own people into a government slaves. Thank you for sharing the link. As always, very informative.
My thoughts exactly Serg! Well said Julian as always.

Reaction score
Thanks! Here it is finally. I tried to make it to Walmart last night to get the satin gloss varnish I needed, and it was a circus there. 1:00 am the weirdest looking people go there at that time and the place was packed LOL. No employee knew about what I was looking for, which made me wonder how they got to have a job there if they don't know what they sell. Finally I found the hobby area myself, and they did not have the varnish. So I had to go this morning to Michael's to get it, and I just got home about two hours ago and finished the project.

( Pictures taken by my always diligent son, Chris) :)

I need to touch up my Amanaman's tippy tip. What paint did you use?

Reaction score
I need to touch up my Amanaman's tippy tip. What paint did you use?
This is what I used, though keep in mind that while the color comes close to the original, it is not an exact match. You might want to try out a few times first adding a drop of black to darken the paint, then let it dry until you get as close as possible to the original. To finish it up, I went only once with the brush over the dry paint with Satin Varnish to give it that subtle shine the bust has, and to protect the freshly painted area. I hope this helps ...

Last edited:
Reaction score
It is a sad day in the life of any person when a government decides for you how to think, what to watch. So much for individual thought and the right to choose. What a wrongful ideology when even a simple space adventure movie is considered "dangerous" to a system that turns its own people into government slaves. Thank you for sharing the link. As always, very informative.
And some idiots from western countries want to go to communism. I'd advise them to take a trip to North Korea and then do something minor against the regime there (tear up a Kim poster for example, nothing more). They'll enjoy the full benefits of one of the communist regimes right there. Because communism without this type of regime (more or less strict) cannot exist.

Reaction score
And some idiots from western countries want to go to communism. I'd advise them to take a trip to North Korea and then do something minor against the regime there (tear up a Kim poster for example, nothing more). They'll enjoy the full benefits of one of the communist regimes right there. Because communism without this type of regime (more or less strict) cannot exist.
Quoting Obi-Wan here: "Who is more fool the fool or the fool who follows the fool?" Everything this ideology touches it destroys.

Reaction score
It's the same old lie being sold in a different shiny package Serg. Either way, as Julian said above the true fools are the ones who are following this and eating it up. They will be in for a very rude awakening if it ever comes to fruition.

Reaction score
I lived in these conditions for almost 20 years, so I know from first hand experience, I don't need some inexperienced dude or gal to explain me how "good" is communism.
Anyway talking about the vintage Romanian Star Wars posters, made me look once again for them, with no luck as I thought. But seems Topps made a card with the SW one so I bought one from ebay. It's not a poster, but will do for now. :)

Reaction score
Wow! That's good, Sergiu. Not the posters you seek, but at least you got the card. Maybe if you display it in one of those clear acrylic card displays with a stand you can have it next to one of your collectibles.

Reaction score
Wow! That's good, Sergiu. Not the posters you seek, but at least you got the card. Maybe if you display it in one of those clear acrylic card displays with a stand you can have it next to one of your collectibles.
Not sure what kind of stand to get for these. I bought 2 cards.

Reaction score
Not sure what kind of stand to get for these. I bought 2 cards.
Sergiu, the idea I suggested to you was using something like in the picture below. I got these acrylic stands to display the posters I made for the different "Make this bust" campaigns we've had. They come in different sizes. You just slide the card from underneath and voila! You could also use a baseball card protector with stand as in the second picture ...

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't really know what size are these Topps cards. This is the one I got, no size mentioned anywhere:

Reaction score
Serg, Topps usually sell oversized cards for novelty items like this or older styles for baseball. I own a couple older Topps "throwback" baseball cards that were made and they are almost 8"x10" (not sure of what those measurements translate to in meters?). Sometimes they are also 5"x7". Though it is possible these may be just a standard baseball card size, for something unique like this I kind of doubt it.

As Julian said, they make plastic displays in all these standard sizes for photos as well so I'm sure you can find a nice way to display them!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Serg, Topps usually sell oversized cards for novelty items like this or older styles for baseball. I own a couple older Topps "throwback" baseball cards that were made and they are almost 8"x10" (not sure of what those measurements translate to in meters?). Sometimes they are also 5"x7". Though it is possible these may be just a standard baseball card size, for something unique like this I kind of doubt it.

As Julian said, they make plastic displays in all these standard sizes for photos as well so I'm sure you can find a nice way to display them!
I think I'll better wait and see their size first. Seems there are card stands that cannot shipped to my location, and other ones that do have shipping at least $10-15 anyway, so I will not risk until getting the cards in hand.

Reaction score
I think I'll better wait and see their size first. Seems there are card stands that cannot shipped to my location, and other ones that do have shipping at least $10-15 anyway, so I will not risk until getting the cards in hand.
A wise idea for sure.

Reaction score
I think that the baseball card holder with stand should work. According to this page I found, the measurements for the card are 3 1/2" x 2 1/2", so it is pretty much the same size as a Gentle Giant COA and/or standard baseball card.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Too bad the BCW type card holder doesn't ship to my location - the one that does has shipping $40 (no thanks). I'll try to find something else.

Reaction score
Too bad the BCW type card holder doesn't ship to my location - the one that does has shipping $40 (no thanks). I'll try to find something else.
Sergiu, there are a couple of baseball card stores in my area . I can always call them up and see if they have it, and if they do, I can pick one up for you ... if you want.

Reaction score
Nice repair Lightsword, I've been thinking of trying to repair mine as am not sure it's worth the risk of more customs fees and worse damage.

I have a Nightmare before Christmas themed Christmas, kind of like a Halloween themed Christmas and I like it!

Last edited: