Lightsaber on a plane

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a question.

Just had my first trip to Galaxy's Edge yesterday. Of course I took part in the Savi's Workshop build your own Lightsaber. Now, the big question is getting it home without any issues. We're flying home on Tuesday via Spirit Airline. One of the Cast Members told me they tend to have issues with people and sabers.

I've heard from some that you check the hilt in your luggage, and use the case they gave you to bring the blade via carry on. My wife called, and supposedly they told here it can be brought on, but I'm just looking for confirmation from a few other people who can tell me about their experience.

Thanks in advance!
Derek

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a question.

Just had my first trip to Galaxy's Edge yesterday. Of course I took part in the Savi's Workshop build your own Lightsaber. Now, the big question is getting it home without any issues. We're flying home on Tuesday via Spirit Airline. One of the Cast Members told me they tend to have issues with people and sabers.

I've heard from some that you check the hilt in your luggage, and use the case they gave you to bring the blade via carry on. My wife called, and supposedly they told here it can be brought on, but I'm just looking for confirmation from a few other people who can tell me about their experience.

Thanks in advance!
Derek
I went when they first opened and was told to mail mine home....then saw others walk on the plane with theirs in the sleeve. I suggest you call airline to be sure.

Reaction score
My assistant's daughter works in airport security and she said that during one shift someone had brought a lightsaber hilt from Galaxy's Edge and when the bag went through the scanner the staff started freaking out because they thought that it was a pipe bomb LOL.

My understanding was that someone yelled "I have had it with these mother f*****g lightsabers on these mother f******g planes!"

Last edited:
Reaction score
Since I've been home for a few days now, I figured I'd share how I got it home. I packed the hilt into our checked bag, as to avoid the "pipe bomb" scare having it my carry on or in the sleeve they give you. Having just the blade in the sleeve, I folded it down and tied the strap around it to make it as short as possible. We flew home on Spirit.... which while the flight it's self was fine, I would not recommend, nor will I EVER be flying with them again. Sure, they may have super cheap flights, but the hidden surprise fees when you check into your flight are ridiculous! It cost us $180 to bring our luggage home! $60 per carry on item and $60 for a checked bag! There was no way I was going to pile another $60 on for my saber sleeve, so when time came to board, I quite literally walked on the plane holding it behind my carry on, and stuffed it in the overhead on top of my and my wife's bags. The gate and flight attendants never said a word, so it was a non issue. I'm now wondering if we could have saved $120 by just walking on the plane with our carry on like we had paid for it.... No one there seemed to care. Probably because they all know they work for a crap airline.

I opted for the "Protection and Defense" kit. I liked the way it came out, but also wanted to make it even more "mine" so I bought a couple parts after the build from the "Peace and Justice" kit. So, in case anyone was wondering, here is my current configuration. I also bought an additional blue crystal.

Attachments

• 20210917_114312.jpg
    20210917_114312.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • 20210917_114521.jpg
    20210917_114521.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Reaction score
I can confirm it's no problem travelling with these. I packed the lightsabers in my checked luggage and only brought the blade with me. I carried it on the plane in my hand and put it in the overhead bin at the last minute so it didn't get crushed. No problems whatsoever.

Reaction score
Since the entire package with the blade and bag is so long and unwieldy, I didn't want to have to deal with it at the airport along with any potential complications.

I went to a shipping supply store near Disneyland when we first arrived and got a box long enough to fit the two lightsabers my wife and I would be building. I packed it up and dropped it off at USPS before heading to the airport. No fuss, no stress.