Lighting is everything! Old scenes with new lighting (6/14)

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Stephen Hayford taught me that good lighting makes everything look better. He's right! I bought a couple boxes of submersible (no special reason for submersibility, I just had a couple old ones) tea lights that are very bright and turn on when you lightly twist them. They look like this:

I got a box of 36 (batteries included) from WM.com for only $9 delivered, and ended buying a second box they were so great! If anyone is interested in the link, let me know.

Here's my DS2 with one light above in the ceiling, and one pointed up in front of Vader, out of view, to illuminate his saber:

And here's one of Endor dios with one light above and one behind some moss under Luke to illuminate his lightsaber:

Many, many more to come!

Last edited:

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Ok :LOL:- got a few more already! Here are a couple Cloud City pics from the same diorama, background and foreground; I have a light angled at the upper left pointed towards the back wall (accentuates the Photoshop fake lighting I did!) and one directly overhead Lando and the group:

And with the Wampa cave, I have one light shining down from above the back opening, against the white wall to give the effect of bright snow:

Last edited:

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Today's batch! The Ewok Village, with a light above 3PO to accentuate his gold plating, and one above R2 to light up his "eye":

And the right side of the dio, with Luke's face emphasized:

Cave of Evil:

NiubNiub's decals look even better with lighting:

Just enough light to give the watered-down paint on the Jedi Spirits a haunting look:

And my custom Sy Snootles vintage figure:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Tea lights are great. I have a small collection of LED lights/flashlight that work great.
You can get a good led lighting strip set with remote at 5 bellow (cheaper than ordering on Amazon) that will work great on permanent displays.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Holy fugg, that Ewok village especially is amazing!
Thanks! Would you believe I made an entire second village so I could have the finale celebration scene too? Here it is, with one light above (and the backgrounds, by the way, are hand-painted by me!):

Couple ROTJ briefing scene pics, with about 6 lights overhead:

Last edited:

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
So, I figured out a way to get a light hidden behind Ben Kenobi, angled up to illuminate the sabers! Here is the scene again:

And a return to the Luke on Endor diorama with a better-angled light:

Fast through the forest!

Just after the Rancor's death (control panel lights were lightsaber pieces glued in front of holes for light to come through):

This is a light hidden in front of Vader, angled up at Luke's saber:

And Vader's med chamber:

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Cloud City junkroom; one light in the smelter, and one above:

And a recent diorama, with a 3rd light added above the T-16 to illuminate the front and nose of the ship:

Same pic, with some lighting settings adjusted:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ben's house is one of my favorites of yours, on my list to do and might be next for me to tackle.

Utinniii

Reaction score
I'm always amazed by the level of detail you have. It really inspires me to up my own game.

Reaction score
Wow, wow, wow! First, it was great to see so many of your excellent dioramas again. Second, the lights add so much to your dioramas and really bring out so many details. This is true not only with the lightsabers but also especially with Bespin, the Rancor pit, and the Tosche station. I will definitely be looking at this thread again soon!

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Thanks, Prof! Always appreciate your kind words! Here's a few more scenes:

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Old string of X-Mas lights behind the right and left cabinets, and one twistable overhead:

I really like the effect of one twistable to the top right of this one:

Reaction score
Love the lighting in Aunt Beru's kitchen, that really is fantastic. And the greeblie work is over the top. Did you repaint Jabba?

Reaction score
You're a feisty little one. Aaah, we have need for you in Shizzles dio display barge. Guards? Fit Daigo_Bah with a restraining bolt and ship this to my main audience chamber.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Thanks and yep- love his articulated arms! 🥰

Here's a few from Echo Base Command center; I recently raised Leia and the tech onto a small platform, put some new cables and wires on the floor and ceiling, and put a new ceiling above the computer screens.

Some ewoks launching a catapult projectile, fallen AT-ST in the back:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Couple of comments and a question.....

First, this is beautiful. The blue light with Ben's saber is excellent. Always love seeing your cantina.

Second, good to see John Kerry over Greedo's left shoulder, and I think you've revised your Hem with what appears to be an Indy body, I dig it. Also, Lak is vastly improved over his POTF2 body. Would you be kind enough to share a recipe and perhaps post a shot of him in the custom section?
And finally.........that Wuher kicks ass. ;):love::LOL: