Life-Size Jumbo Vintage Kenner R2-D2

GNT

Reaction score
Might be seeing a life size vintage R2-D2 according to YakFace.com:

"Rumors are rolling regarding upcoming products to be featured at Celebration Anaheim. The latest is that Gentle Giant is planning on releasing R2-D2 as part of their Life Size line of Kenner figure statues. Look for more info on this in the coming days."

Could be interesting and a more affordable item. [h=3][/h]

Reaction score
I'd prefer the sail barge version with the drink shelf....use it at home as a robotic bar.

Reaction score
There were some photos posted on facebook an couple of days ago of an life sized solid dome R2D2.

Reaction score
If something like this is released, I think I'd have to put my plans to buy a Stormtrooper costume on hold.

Reaction score
This, I would actually buy. If a pre-order ever goes up, I'm on it.

IMO, it's the most iconic Star Wars figure ever made. It's the pure vintage Kenner that started it all.

That said, the fact that we have heard nothing from GG about this, or any other 12" new vintage, leads me to believe they will not be renewing their license, or are in doubt as to whether or not they will be able to.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If GG ever get around to producing this, I'd prefer it to be the "with Pop-up lightsaber" version......
How cool would it be to have a life-size vintage lightsaber to also play with!

Michael_Ritter

Reaction score
If GG ever get around to producing this, I'd prefer it to be the "with Pop-up lightsaber" version......
How cool would it be to have a life-size vintage lightsaber to also play with!
I know guys 3D printing vintage SW weapons including lightsabers, so they are already available.

Mike

Reaction score
All over this if they would just make the blasted thing!

Would be first GG purchase in YEARS for me if so.

Reaction score
Maybe make it an all-in-one version. Build it as the lightsaber version but have a little cap that covers the hole. Another removable cap and you can put the Sensorscope in it.

Reaction score
Maybe make it an all-in-one version. Build it as the lightsaber version but have a little cap that covers the hole. Another removable cap and you can put the Sensorscope in it.
That's an awesome idea. It would certainly add value to the smaller sized 'monument'......

Michael_Ritter

Reaction score
The problem with this idea is that the dome for the solid top/sensorscope is different than the pop up saber version. If they did that it would look wrong and like crap.

Mike

Reaction score
Oh, how so? If the dome had a cap that could be removed to insert a sensorscope (extended position) or the lightsaber partially exposed, how would that "look crap" ?
It's not like GG haven't taken liberties with this line before.....

Also, not sure if you're being funny in your signature block, but the Germans didn't bomb Pearl Harbour....???

Last edited:

Michael_Ritter

Reaction score
Oh, how so? If the dome had a cap that could be removed to insert a sensorscope (extended position) or the lightsaber partially exposed, how would that "look crap" ?
It's not like GG haven't taken liberties with this line before.....

Also, not sure if you're being funny in your signature block, but the Germans didn't bomb Pearl Harbour....???
The Best way to describe the sculpt difference between the three domes is to look at the pie wedges on the top of the dome. On the Solid top/Sensorscope domes, the pie wedges are positioned so a wedge is centered over the large eye. On the pop up saber dome, the wedges are shifted slightly so a dividing bar between two wedges is centered over the large eye. It's not a big change overall but it is a change none the less. There is also differences in the blue boxes on the sides of the dome too. As far as the body goes, technically the pop up saber was a completely new sculpt as the inside of the barrel had to be designed to make the saber move up when the dome was turned. It looks the same externally but is different internally.

And as BillMulder already said, the Germans and Pearl Harbor line is a quote from one of the greatest movies ever, "National Lampoon's Animal House".

Mike

Reaction score
You need to watch National Lampoon's Animal House
It struck me as something D Trump might have said TBH

Anyone here have a vintage R2-D2 with sensorscope missing the sensorscope? I'm wondering if you could take a pic of it with a Luke Jedi lighsaber inserted into the dome to give GG an idea of what we're talking about. Reason I suggest the Luke Jedi weapon and not the R2 pop-up lightsaber as I am pretty sure that bell-end thing wouldn't fit :p

Last edited:
Reaction score
I get the differences between the domes but I'm certainly not wanting the life-size R2 requiring its head to be turned to pop-up the lightsaber. I think it is obvious that the suggested 'extras' would merely be stuck into the hole that is revealed when removing the cap. The lightsaber for what its worth could even be just the hilt.....and the sensorscope wouldn't retract into the body. I can't understand how this idea would be considered looking "like crap".

Reaction score
And while I'm dreaming about it, why not give us a Droid Factory third leg too for yet another display option? I'm giving you plenty of money making ideas GG !

Last edited:
Reaction score
So this is in the latest BBTS preorder email - at the bargain price of $3199.

Thought I might get this one - but not at that price. Oh well.

Reaction score
So this is in the latest BBTS preorder email - at the bargain price of $3199.

Thought I might get this one - but not at that price. Oh well.
I agree. Was going to be a definite purchase, but it is 30% more almost than Vader, Fett, Stormtrooper. Can't do it. Bummer.

Reaction score
If it is $3199 in the US .I hate to think what they will charge here in Australia .What a rip off .That's what i would pay for the real thing .

Reaction score
This thing should run $800 .... $1,200 TOPS.
Yep.

And I foresee the cancelling of the lifesize line due to "poor sales" and collectors not "supporting" the line - when in actuality there is a price point where even us die hard collectors say.........nope.

Reaction score
I was planning on getting this too, for my office. Highly doubt anyone will drop that kind of coin for this.

Reaction score
$3,199 is the kind of pricing you'd see on ebay from money gouging scalpers!
Excuse my language, but GGLTD are taking the f*cking p*ss.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Forgive me for asking, but what was the retail price on the other Life-Sized figures? I never paid attention to the prices before because they're all out of my range.
So far GG has made Vader, Boba Fett and a Stormtrooper, right?
Are there published edition sizes?

Reaction score
Forgive me for asking, but what was the retail price on the other Life-Sized figures? I never paid attention to the prices before because they're all out of my range.
So far GG has made Vader, Boba Fett and a Stormtrooper, right?
Are there published edition sizes?
The Stortrooper and Vader were around $2300 each (Vader slightly higher) and Boba Fett was about $2700

Not sure on edition sizes

Last edited:
Reaction score
maybe we arent reading it right. maybe its 3199, but a buy one get two free?

no? hmm