lets talk about gi joe (general arah toyline discussion)

Reaction score
with this thread i just want to have an open discussion on the thing s we love from the arah line. what are you favorite vehicles? favorite figures? sub teams?
anything and everything yo joe!
for me lets just get it out of the way my favorite guys are the 5 i got for my 4th or 5th birthday:flint airtight gungho bazooka and ship wreck i always treated them like they were their own sub team. the following year i got sgt slaughter and his triple t for my birthday and he became their commander.
guys i always wanted as a kid were stormshadow,spirit , quick kick, cobra commander, tomax and xamot, scarlett, lady jaye. some how even when spirit got rereleased twice! in air commandos and the mauraders i still couldnt find him anywhere, to say nothing of the women. the only girls i had as a kid were baroness and zarana i couldnt find scarlett lady jaye or covergirl anywhere.cobra was very random and disorganized they had serpentor destro and baroness leading them.
i missed bludd both times as well.
we all have heard the story by now (at least twitter has) about how i have/(had?) a deep seated hatred of chuckles because i saw battle armor cobra commander ONE TIME and chose that dumba** instead. but later the garbagy orange mask cc came out and i got it despite how crappy it looked.
thankfully later the talking hoody cc came out and i never had to use the other one again. i remember looking for recondo a lot too for some reason.
i did also have one chance to get tomax and xamot but chose not to which i regretted later. eventually in the late 80s i got the 89 snake eyes and jet pack general hawk as well as the beret version of dusty. stormshadow was like the others i mentioned he was just never there. the tiger sting is one of my favorite vehicles as well as the desert fox. i was only going to buy that vehicle but my collection has grown several vehicles since then lol. also the python patrol conquest was my all time favorite cobra vehicle. i remember one christmas where i got most of the python patrol stuff i know i had viper and python crimson guard already. i loved the python patrol. tiger force i had mostly vehicles oddly i only had 3 figures flint tripwire and frostbite(which i felt they missed an opportunity to call him tiger bite)
what were your favorites? i wanted slaughters mauraders but those i just saw one time in the store. i bought lowlight and the lynx tank. never saw anymore after that.

Reaction score
Growing up in a pretty strict, religious household, my parents didn't really approve of stuff like Star Wars, He-Man, Thundercats, etc. and most Transformers were just too expensive to be considered. GI Joe was something different however and my dad was impressed enough with the line that he drove us to the store specifically to buy my brother and I some GI Joe toys. It was the first and only time that would ever happen during our childhood. This was in 1984, before they really started to go off the rails with the sci-fi themes. I got Recondo and the Mountain Howitzer and my brother got Rock 'N Roll and the Watch Tower.

I think my dad liked the line so much because he was a Vietnam veteran who was spit on by ant-war protestors when he returned home; so he was happy to see a toy line that treated the military with respect and had strong patriotic themes.

We got a few more GI Joe figures over the years, but generally only focused on the more grounded, realistic designs (although my brother did get a few of the Dreadnoks, because he was big into Mad Max at the time). However, once I saw the Cobra-La 3-pack at a Kaybee toy store, in 1987, my reaction was, "I'm done." I walked away from GI Joe and wouldn't really return until the 25th anniversary collection.

Reaction score
Great idea for a thread. I was a pre-teen when the G.I. Joe ARAH toyline & Marvel comic made it's debut in Spring 1982, and was fascinated with the symbiosis (though I didn't even know what the word meant at the time - LOL) between the comic & the figures/vehicles. I did like the then-unusual SA on the figures, but hated the thumbs breaking off the '82 figures. Thankfully, they corrected this fragility with the '83-on figures, and also introduced the then-innovative "Swivel-arm battle grip".

I tried to collect a lot of the figures/vehicles at the time, but couldn't get all of the ones I wanted due to my limited budget (ha ha) & not being able to get around & look for the toys at stores.

Some of my favorite figures/vehicles from around '82- '87; note this is not at all comprehensive:

Figures:
- Snake Eyes '85
-Rock & Roll '82
-Cobra Commander '82
-Hooded Cobra Commander (mail-away, I think)
-Storm-Shadow '84; one of the best characters & designs in ARAH. G.I. Joe #21 is one of my all-time favorite comics, period.
- Snow Job
-Gung Ho
-Airborne
-Doc
-Scrap-Iron
-Outback

Vehicles:
-VAMP
-Cobra Stinger
-Cobra Ferret
-MOBAT - always wanted this, but never got it.
-APC - Ditto; never got this, but wanted to. I liked the fact that it rolled on land & floated in the water - very nice design.
-Cobra C.L.A.W. - very cool, especially how it was used in G.I. Joe #24.
-Battle Bear

I did collect the comic & toys through 1987, but felt my interest waning after that year. And, though I still followed the ARAH line later & remember seeing the '88-'89 figures, I had stopped collecting them at that point. Though, I do regret not getting some of these later figures, especially given that most of them were never re-done in the 25th anniversary line.

I completely lost track of the line after '89 (had stopped collecting all toys at that point, at least for a while). However, in looking at pics. of the figures that came out in the early '90's - I would have been interested in some of them. Though many of the figures were what I consider re-paints/re-hashes (Tiger Force, etc.) some innovative figures/vehicles came out during these latter years as well.

Last edited:
Reaction score
great guys! im glad someone liked this i was surprised it took this long for people to find it.
barada i stayed until the very end though i was a little older than i should by then. to me the down hill started with sky patrol.
those were the first ones i thought were dumb though i got altitude the sky haw and sky sharc. it got progressively worse
with def,ninja force and that god awful star brigade was the breaking point. i wouldnt even walk down the star brigade section art kaybee one time i was there i just kinda power walked by glancing at each side like i would catch a disease by being there or something.
looking back it was me being a stupid kid but i felt that they didnt need to be in space. my argument has always been this.
one day while sendind the crusader up on a space mission i couldnt figure out what to do because all my cool jets tanks and non astronaughts were back on "earth" and there was nothing to do but fight astro viper in a stiletto. so after that i never really used anything space related, i was more about epic ground battles.
think battle of pellenor fields in lord of the rings but with tanks and jets as well as both sides charging on foot.
although i liked the star brigade ozone enough after i saw it recently i bought one.
as a kid i had the eco version of him.
good choices thall! i got outback recently but he needs a new crotch thast a pain to find. my only 82 guy is a cobra trooper straight arm i have.

Reaction score
G.I. Joe wasn't a huge part of my life as a kid. Not like, say, Ninja Turtles. But it was definitely present. I watched the cartoon off and on and amassed quite a few figures before losing interest around 1992-1993. Though this was no fault of G.I. Joe's! I've dipped my toe into the franchise again recently but as much as I have a veritable list of things I want to get again from when I was kid (to say nothing of stuff I never had), it seems like it's a bit on the expensive side right now. Plus, figuring out where to start is pretty daunting, heh.

Figures I Had as a Kid:
-Cobra Eel (the version with the robotic shark)
-Shipwreck
-Undertow
-Law and Order
-Gnawgahyde
-Recoil
-Night-Creeper
-Rock-Viper
-Desert Scorpion
-Decimator (with the Hammerhead)
-Captain Grid-Iron

Vehicles I Had:
-The VAMP (unsure which version specifically, as Clutch looks unfamiliar)
-The Hammerhead (which I got again recently)
-The Parasite

This is what I remember, anyway. There wasn't much rhyme of reason to who I got when. Either I just randomly grabbed a figure or vehicle that looked cool, or it was a gift, such as the Hammerhead and Parasite which were Christmas presents. I may have had other figures and vehicles that I don't remember, too. These are just the ones that immediately spring to mind.

Reaction score
nice stuff koosh! i had al those figures except for eels and desert scorpion i saw hi mat the store though.
oh the hammer head was a beast that thing was so big i couldnt really use it easily in bathtub adventures so it saw mostly land use.
i loved rock viper im just having trouble tracking him down for a decent price now. if you thought army builders were bad in star wars gi joe has lots of basic units that are hard to find because of it. shipwreck of course was aprt of the big 5 i never quit talking about (with flint airtght gung ho and bazooka) im doing the same as you hunting down the most beloved figures (sorry count down, avalanche,rapid fire etc) and leaving out the
ones that kinda sucked while gettign ones i always wanted.
i just recently completed a night creeper im hoping to find the leader now.
my most recent order i have a wolverine on the way plus big bear and hiss driver and the rpv.

Reaction score
I think the playset I want the most currently is the Terror Drome. Vehicle-wise, I'm interested in Sergeant Slaughter's Triple "T" and Serpentor's Air Chariot, plus the Parasite, which, along with the Hammerhead, I have good memories of. What's interesting to me (which I learned from watching Michael Mercy's videos on YouTube) is how Hasbro apparently didn't think kids would want figures and playsets based on Cobra. What? Why? If there's no Cobra stuff, or not very much, who on Earth will the Joes fight? This mindset strikes me as weird. Kids always want the villains! I did, anyway. But the prevailing mentality in toy lines aimed at kids seems to be to have as little conflict as possible, even in franchises explicitly centered around fighting and combat. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems nine out ten Power Rangers figures, for instance, are the Rangers themselves, with few villains in sight. Weird. God forbid we have characters for the heroes to fight in our toy line based on a show where the characters fight!

Reaction score
interesting point when i started my reboot collection (all my originals were sold in 05 to my regret) i was just going to get joes and then i started remembering so many fun cobras i had to have them too. i still want the first cobra commander but hes so expensive.
but now i have a huge amount of cobra and theres more on my list to go for cobra than there is gi joe.
warning you now the terror drome is flagg levels of nonsense. every time i look it up there around 600$ hell even just a fire bat is like 300$ the pilot upwards of 100$. and oddly my interest in masters of the universe is mostly on the badguys. but im trying to resist i have way too my collections going right now.
what makes me laugh is the first thing cobra got to combat all that awesome joe hardware was a dinky little raft lol (and i want it)

Reaction score
I think the original idea was that kids would just use their GI Joes to fight their Star Wars figures, so Hasbro didn't feel that they needed to come up with an enemy for GI Joe. Fortunately, Marvel Comics stepped in and fixed that by creating Cobra.

Generally, though, GI Joe was always a line where I was mostly interested in the heroes not the villains. I did like Destro and Stormshadow, but anytime I had a choice of toy to buy, I never chose any of the Cobra figures. I would only want the Joes. Even during the 25th anniversary line I prioritized Joes over Cobras.

This runs counter to everything else I collect. With Star Wars my favorite characters are the Imperials and Jabba's Palace goons. With Transformers, most of my favorites are Decepticons. However, GI Joe is different for some reason.

Reaction score
gi joe does have a good selection of heroes and villains.
one guy id like to discuss is ace.
i never had any version of him. id like either the green one or the v1 ace (and a sky striker but that things tricky to afford)
i liked him from the cartoon, oddly most of the arah joes i couldnt find i pretty much grew up in the dic era of gi joe though i never watched the cartoon much until recently.

Reaction score
vehicles i wish i hadnt sold are
warthog
cobra condor z25
python patrol conquest
ifi had known how much i would be buying off ebay a few years later i would have just retored the missing parts

Reaction score
Tell me about it. Getting the Hammerhead again set me back pretty hugely last month. And now here I am eying the Bugg. Or is it BUGG? Speaking of which, I haven't been able to what that even stands for if it is indeed meant to be in all caps. Is it an acronym? The name on the cockpit appears to be rendered "BU" above the line and "GG" below, suggesting it does stand for something. But what, I cannot figure out. The Secto-Viper's file card offers no clues; it's all about the Secto-Viper himself. Or, at least, Secto-Vipers in general; despite the BUGG being the only way to get a Secto-Viper, he's not an individual but one of several.

Reaction score
Other '80's G.I. Joe: ARAH memories:

-Seeing the animated TV ad for the G.I. Joe Marvel comic #1 in 1982; great ad which built up interest for both the comic & the initial toyline.

-Roughly a year later (early '83), seeing the animated TV ad for the Marvel ARAH #11 comic - this comic introduced a lot of great new characters/vehicles that were also made as toys, including Snow Job, Gung Ho, Doc, the Battle Bear vehicle, etc. It was cool to see the commercial; get the comic; look for the toys (not necessarily in that order).

-IMHO the 1983-1985 wave(s) of the regular carded figures were the high-point(s) of the line. Excellent sculpts & characters here. Here's a visual guide to the line - carded figures only:

-I strongly associate the ARAH line (and other '80's lines like SW, Transformers, MOTU, etc.) with TRU. They always had the best selection of toys & I remember that I used to save my $ before I went there. I got a lot of the '82 - '87 figures/vehicles there.

Last edited:
Reaction score
im not sure as i never had the bugg. guys the heel just racked off of my straight arm 82 trooper if anyone has a spare cobra trooper or legs and a crotch let me know these things are impossible on ebay and getting pricier

Reaction score
My interest in GI Joe started with a secret santa gift. I was already into Star Wars, but I got Tripwire from a random kid and his elbows and knees could move and I was IN! It is funny that I never had Duke or Scarlett, but Flint was a good leader for my teams and Wild Bill with the Dragonfly and the Hovercraft were my big deal. Usually Cobra held the Battle Platform that the good guys had to take over. I ended up with a few dreadnoks too that raided the joes. I got the Headquarters from another kid that traded me for an old bike that we didn't ride. Those were simpler times :ROFLMAO:

I still got random joes up until I was in College '91/'92... more as gag gifts, but I still loved them. I think the last one I got was Cesspool?? and that was pretty much the end of that. Sold all of it off through e-bay but kinda regret not getting some of the newer 25th and 30th figures as they were really great looking. Wish I had kept the HQ too.... man that was an awesome playset.

Reaction score
ive told my origin story a few times but there it is in more detail.
i was around 4 or 5i was walking around in wal mart and i saw a shelf of these bright colorful boxes. it caught my eye so i went in.
now this was a little Area they have its in the garden center with a concrete floor but every once in a while theyd have toys in there
(in the 90s many years later i would see some 12 inch star wars there. i would see a 12 inch imperial officer i didnt buy and wish i had)
any how i went in and saw some new toys i had never seen before called gi joe.
i looked through the toys (i dont remember what the others were) and chose the snow cat.
after that it began. as usual i got the 5 joes for my birthday i always mention. eventually i know i got sgt slaughters triple t the next year for my birthday with some ghostbusters stuff (i believe i got ecto 1 and ray i had the other 3 ghostbusters) while i remember it being earlier i cant tell for sure anymore but i remember getting serpentor and dr mindbender as well as destros despoiler fairly early on like my first bad guys.
it sicks in my mind that destro was my first bad guy.
i clearly remember as a kid thinking after getting a few joes "ok i need to get some bad guys now."
at some point before the sgt slaughter birthday maybe even the other one,
my dad found baroness and got her for me and i remember getting the snake armor at the same time. i cant recall what order anymore though so now im just going to generalize events.

Reaction score
oh forgot i also got zarana in that first batch of bad guys too.
i remember the christmas of 87 really well. i got the python patrol vehicles, python tele viper and python trooper
the cobra condor z25, the crusader shuttle maybe more.
the christmas of 89/90 was also great i got the general, topside,rampart,sub zero, captain gridiron, bullhorn,salvo,ambush, the thunder clap,
i just had a random memory of darklon i "possibly" got him that year too but im not sure.

Last edited:
Reaction score
There are some toys you just remember. I got the Death Star Playset after begging incessantly. I was really young, but I remember that Christmas. I remember getting the Hovercraft also for Christmas. I was sitting in the space above the driving compartment in our Mobile Home as we had traveled to Florida that year. I also remember my parents being hesitant to get the bad guys so i ended up battling Joes versus Star Wars aliens like Greedo, Hammerhead, Stormtrooper :ROFLMAO: Imagination used to be a thing. My joes took over the death star more than once.

Reaction score
I recently picked up another 1987 Falcon figure. This was the very last GI Joe toy I owned as a kid and the figure is a masterpiece in terms of detail and real world accuracy. When I first got the figure, though, I was 14 years old and my older brother and most of my friends where moving on to non-toy related interests (girls, obviously). Plus, this was also the age where it was starting to feel a bit weird for me to still be playing with action figures. I honestly don't remember what happened to my original Falcon figure; but it is really cool to own another one now.

Reaction score
iv never had falcon hes and hes pricey now i want him though. my last joe i recall buying was battle corps roadblock. ive seen others i had that came out after him but its possible he was a late release pegwarmer. i know gungho had to be since i was an 83 figure and i got him in 84 or 85 with my other birthday joes

Reaction score
ok just ordred this months stuff i need the following acessories if any one has them
heavy duty(1991) laser sight
short fuze(1982) visor
ambush(1990) ghilly suit i THINK. iknow one cloth is missing
clutch helmet (tan)