lets talk about dreadnoks

Reaction score
who dosent love these guys?
when i was young i had zarana and 2nd tier gusy like road pig zanzibar and gnawgahyde.
funny story about road pig. i was going to the store because iwas gonna go gi joe shopping and litteraly all that there was one solitary road pig.
while i thought he was lame then i like him now. (and its a damn site better than the sonic figure!)
zartan is still hard to find. i had to get a 2001 version since it is the closest to the original version.
right now besides that zartan i have zarana v1, buzzer,and monkywrench. id like to have the bike again.
what dreadnoks did you love?

Reaction score
Loved the 'Noks when I was a kid! I got Zartan and his Chamelon when it was new in '84 and loved playing outside with him to watch him change color. I would let him lay in the sun for like an hour so he would get super dark! When the Series IV came out in early '85 I remember being excited seei g Dreadnoks on the cardback! I instantly fell in love. My brother ended up getting Torch & Buzzer, but we never did get Ripper. I always wanted him really badly. I eventually got Monkeywrench Zandar and Zarana the following summer in '86. I thought it was so cool that Zartan had siblings! I loved those figures. Road Pig was the last Dreadnok I ever got and probably my favorite. He was so much bigger than the other figures and came with so many cool accessories. I never had Gnawgahyde back then, but recently got him when I started re-collecting. He's great with the pelts and sidekick boar. It's too bad we never got anymore Dreadnoks in the original ARAH line after him. Though there is concept art of a Dreadnok that is barefoot and has a mohawk or ponytail and looks to be Maori maybe? I think he would have been in the Series IX lineup in 1990, but for whatever reason got dropped and didn't make the cut.

Reaction score
awesome! i tried to make zarana change and even now i cant get her to. as a kid i left her under a lamp for hours and ive stood her by the window for a while and she MIGHT have changed a little so i dont know.
i always wanted the thunder machine. i had zanzibar and his air skiff and the bike. im going to get gnawgahyde for christmas but hes missing the tripod and small knife. myabe i can find those later.

Reaction score
The thunder machine was just an unlicensed Mad Max toy so much so the modern version of the driver uses a Mel Gibson’s head.

Reaction score
awesome! i tried to make zarana change and even now i cant get her to. as a kid i left her under a lamp for hours and ive stood her by the window for a while and she MIGHT have changed a little so i dont know.
i always wanted the thunder machine. i had zanzibar and his air skiff and the bike. im going to get gnawgahyde for christmas but hes missing the tripod and small knife. myabe i can find those later.
Zartan was the only figure that changed color. Zarana and Zandar did not have that feature.

Reaction score
That is odd, all 3 of the Zartan members changed color. Is yours original Hasbro? I never owned the funschool one, so I do not know if that one has the feature.

I researched it, and it seems a number of people have figures that lost the abillity! you learn something new every day...

Last edited:
Reaction score
That is odd, all 3 of the Zartan members changed color. Is yours original Hasbro? I never owned the funschool one, so I do not know if that one has the feature.

I researched it, and it seems a number of people have figures that lost the abillity! you learn something new every day...
i check her but its hasbro im sure when i was little i had the v2 figure but now i have the first head v1
odd that they lost their powers with age.
lol videoviper :D mad max thrasher? thast awesome!

Reaction score
That is incorrect, Zandar and Zarana both changed color.
Wow, I just looked it up to confirm and you are correct. Thanks for the confirmation. As a kid I never even knew that and I have both figures, I may have to break them out to see if it still works on them.

Reaction score
ikeep flip flopping on wheter or not i want zandar but i may get him i just hate how they are glued together. if the band breaks it has a chance to mess up the figure.
i damaged zarana because i didnt know she was factory glued. imay get another one

Reaction score
Dreadnoks are my favorites. Well up until Gnawgahyde...i like all of the ones before him'and had multiples of most of them. But the original 3 are awesome.

Reaction score
ikeep flip flopping on wheter or not i want zandar but i may get him i just hate how they are glued together. if the band breaks it has a chance to mess up the figure.
i damaged zarana because i didnt know she was factory glued. imay get another one
Yeah, it's annoying. I made sure when I started collecting all the old ARAH Joes again recently that I got Zartan/Zandar/Zarana that had already had their rings replaced so I didn't need to do the tedious work involved to crack/slice them open.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah, it's annoying. I made sure when I started collecting all the old ARAH Joes again recently that I got Zartan/Zandar/Zarana that had already had their rings replaced so I didn't need to do the tedious work involved to crack/slice them open.
"what ? why lobot?! i remember loving gnawgahyde. sure his name is a mouthful but i had fun with him as a kid.
brett i havent been able to find a zartan yet i can afford thats complete, i ended up with the 2001 figure which is the closest i can get to a vintage figure its better than the 25th figure anyway.

Reaction score
I was a huuuuuge fan of the comic growing up. This made me dislike the cartoon a bit. In the comics the original 3 were awesome..not just Zartan's yes men. When monkeywrench and Thrasher came in they never lived up to the original 3. Road pig was great, but Gnawgahyde just does not fit in. He is a poacher and more of a character like Raptor.he does not fit the dreanok persona. Zanzibar makes the cut though.

Reaction score
ok well i never read the comics much and grew up with the cartoon. honestly though i knew gnawgahyde as a figure first like most of them so i guess i just gave many of them their own personalities.

Reaction score
ok well i never read the comics much and grew up with the cartoon. honestly though i knew gnawgahyde as a figure first like most of them so i guess i just gave many of them their own personalities.
If you really like GI JOE, get the Marvel Comics run, one of the most amazing runs of comics ever especially 1-50. After you read them, the Cartoon will seem corny.

Reaction score
i would if i could that place i read the 70s sw comics online didnt have gi joe or if it did it was the modern sjw crap. got gnawgahyde today turns out he does have the bipod! so now its just the knife i need. :)
i have one issue of the comics about eco force and def (bleh) i need to read read it. well i do have some comics that came with modern figures i used to have i forgot about those.

Reaction score
Even though I don't have as much nostalgia for Gnawgahyde since I wasn't into Joes by the time he was out in '89, he is a great figure. Love his mean snarl on his face, the giant moustache, the spotted pelts on his hat and jacket, all his accessoroes and the wild boar he came with.

Speaking of my Joes, I also began customizing mine to closer reflect their card art or if they were missing any paint apps. I updated his spots on his pelts since they were missing the white. I love re-collecting the old ARAH Joes and tinkering with or fine-tuning them!

Reaction score
i understand lobot hes weird even for a dreadnok :p i bet he dosent even like grape soda and donuts.

Reaction score
I was drawn to the Joe universe back in the 80's here in the UK through Battle Action Force, as it was known here. I instantly became a fan of the Cobra villains, the baddies always have the coolest gear:)
Zartan was always a favourite, had him and Buzzer, Torch, Ripper & Monkeywrench.

Here's my little homage to the Master of disguise.

Reaction score
nice display herb :)
asi often say i never could find zartan though i didnt know back then he was a vehicle driver. i was probably looking in the wrong place :p
now days hes privy and hard to find complete with unbroken armor. i havea 2001 fgure just becaue its the closest thing to the original i could find.
hell i couldnt even find that weirdo ninja zartan, htoguh all the cool ones,zartan stormshadow spirit scarlett) where n where to be found while guys like nunchuk (whos honestly kinda cool looking) tj bang,dojo slice and dice wre rotting on shelves nearly as bad as rose tico is today. ok maybe not that bad but nobody i cared about was anywhere to be found. it happened with tiger force too. i got flint and tripwire and couldnt find guys lke duke roadblock lifeline and dusty anywhere. i might have seen bazooka but sincemy 85 one was still in good condtion then i didnt get him. back then id go to the store exactly once a month in another town so a lot of luck was needed to find some of the rare joes i got later. although later when we had to pick up my dad from work i would get a joe or two if i found one so it got a little mor frequent. still cartoon charcters were harder to find though some major ones were duke (desert camo) dusty(desert beret) snake eyes(1989) and otgers i got way off track im supposed to be rambling about dreadnoks

Reaction score
The weird thing it appear for me & my other devices. But its a google picts image so it doesn't always show for everyone.

Its a picture of the Deadnoks on the skiff. ;)

Reaction score
holy crap a recent joe thread!!!
lol yeah sorry i havent had many joe themed threads lately ive been focused on transformers and other collections lately.
i ordered charbroil i wanted to get big boa and zandar but ran out of money this month. im keeping an eye out for gnawahydes knife now

Reaction score
what are the best dreadnok vehicles? im thinking of getting a thunder machine, the bike and air skiff.

Reaction score
what are the best dreadnok vehicles? im thinking of getting a thunder machine, the bike and air skiff.

Those are all great ones! The Thunder Machine and Swampfire are probably my faves, followed by Zartan's Chameleon swamp skier. Other good ones like you mentioned already are Zanzibar's Air Skiff and the Cycle. I can't remember, but I don't believe Hasbro did anymore Dreadnok vehicles after '87 (Wave VI). There's also the 'Nok version of the Stinger 4WD, the Joe Bike (Mirage?), the VTOC Skyhawk and FANG - but I think those were all rare Sears exclusives and pricey. But if you can get any of those Dreadnok repaint vehicles, they look really sweet! Especially the Stinger in the sea foam green, chartreuse and black color scheme.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Took this picture a few years ago. I’m missing Heartwrencher and Kaos, but I’d rather get the Stinger than the figures. I’ve always been more of a cartoon fan, I didn’t start reading the comics until Devil’s Due and couldn’t get into IDW. I’ll get back to the original Marvel run eventually.

Breath mint!

Reaction score
Those are all great ones! The Thunder Machine and Swampfire are probably my faves, followed by Zartan's Chameleon swamp skier. Other good ones like you mentioned already are Zanzibar's Air Skiff and the Cycle. I can't remember, but I don't believe Hasbro did anymore Dreadnok vehicles after '87 (Wave VI). There's also the 'Nok version of the Stinger 4WD, the Joe Bike (Mirage?), the VTOC Skyhawk and FANG - but I think those were all rare Sears exclusives and pricey. But if you can get any of those Dreadnok repaint vehicles, they look really sweet! Especially the Stinger in the sea foam green, chartreuse and black color scheme.
oh yeah those sears vehicles are unholy when it comes to prices. ive pretty much decided i dont like the modern ones anymore but i would like that 2011 zarana.

Reaction score
i keep trying to figure out if i had the ram or not it looks so familiar i know i had the mirage because it fell apart and got lost and i never played with it again.

Reaction score
Are they not just screwed together, like all the other original Joes? I've never heard of any figure being glued at the torso.

Reaction score
like jedicrippler said they glued them for the color change gimmick.
i dont know the details. i thoguht the seller had sold me a junker if i had known i would have let zarana be but now shes has a chunk off the side of her torso where a strip of plastic peeled off. now i either need another zarana or a new torso.