QUESTION Less stuff on Ebay?

Reaction score
Does it seem that there is already less stuff on Ebay? Like alot of sellers have already pulled out due to managed payments. Maybe it's just me but I haven't bought anything in several weeks.

Reaction score
I have no data to prove one way or the other. But I've felt the same way as you. It sure seems to me like there are fewer vintage carded figures available on eBay then there was during the summer.

Reaction score
I mean. I can't speak to averages. But anecdotally I am just gonna let all my postings expire and not bother listing anything on there now.

Reaction score
Without research it would be hard to prove one way or the other.

However, it's only plausible that mocs are slowing down because they are beginning to dry up. They haven't released any in almost 40 years :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
A quick check on ebay for vintage Star Wars shows upwards of 10,000 listings. And no, that's not vintage collection but true vintage using 1978 and so on.

Our beloved Star Wars isn't as rare as we would like to believe. If you compare Star Wars to other lines like Super Powers , Mego , Indiana Jones or even some other popular sets from 70s and 80s, you will see a huge drop off in pieces available. Star Wars remains in the high if not 10s of thousands while, say Indiana Jones 1982 vintage is in the 100s.

Yet, true vintage Star Wars pieces still demand high dollars. Weird.

Reaction score
This is ABSOLUTELY true for custom figures. There are still some good ones, but their numbers are way down. A lot of the best customizers have moved their whole platform just to Facebook.

Reaction score
I've not noticed a reduction recently. It feels like less vintage has been listed on eBay for the last 3 or 4 years. I wonder if that's because less is coming to market in general or whether it's just because sales have moved elsewhere (such as FB Groups).

Reaction score
+1 for less on eBay in general. I'm usually lookin for other things and not often in the market for Vintage Star Wars, but I'll echo the sentiment across the platform that there seems to be 'less listings'.

Some of my regular sellers have announced that they've moved most of their wares to other platforms like Etsy and Facebook, and are only using a few listings for cross-site marketing. The thing I find the most interesting is that they are able to (discreetly) advertise such on eBay.

Reaction score
Here's the details I got from a friend of mine. ebay is now following the Amazon platform. ebay now gets paid first and keeps your money longer. Even if a customer still pays by paypal, it all goes to ebay first. They process all payments and take there percent. So that can take days (2-4+). Then they transfer the funds to your bank. That can take 2-4+ days. So it can take as long as 7+ business days per transaction to get your money. This can also be even longer depending on your bank. They expect sellers to ship the item when the money has cleared in there account not sellers. The fee ebay charges now will include the tax. Example you sell an item for $300.00 and with tax say it's $324.00, your fee's are now based on $324.00. Returns: Seller must keep a CC on the account so if funds are not in the account to pay for a return/damage ebay can immediately charge your CC. That's just a small example of the new fun selling on ebay. I suppose all of this may get adjusted one way or another, but it will always favor ebay not the seller. The average seller will most likely not like all of these changes. Some will adjust and some will opt out. This is the game now on ebay, there rules there game.

Last edited:

Dax

Reaction score
Since the early 2000's ebay have made no secret that their corporate strategy was to chase businesses to be their sellers, effectively as mentioned above, to become another Amazon. The days of ebay being the great garage sale are well behind us. They really only want Chinese business to sell cheap rubbish on their platform because that's where the bulk sales are.

Every chance they get they screw the seller. Sell an item for $50 and it's $10 postage, well paypal and ebay take their cut of the total so am I supposed to turn up to the post office with $8.50 and tell them they need to chase ebay for the rest? Nope, it's just the ebay tax on sellers, cutting further into their margins.

I wish Yahoo would bring back their auction site.

Reaction score
I miss those yahoo auctions!

There is a lot less vintage on eBay and anything decent that’s sealed seems to have crazy asking prices. There’s still the occasional good deal, but they are far and few these days.

Reaction score
Agreed. Ebay just isn't working anymore. It's not worth the effort to sell on the platform as I'll walk away with a smaller percentage of what the item sells for than I did in the past.

Reaction score
So what are some better alternatives to Ebay? Facebook is a cluster____ to find anything (no filters), and CL is CL. Where's a good place to alternately shop for vintage SW for national and international listings?
FB groups is a good place to start. I’ve also seen some nice stuff popping up on Etsy and through a few smaller online vintage toy dealers. There has even been some nice items listed for sale here in the vintage classifieds.

I’m not saying not to search EBay, just that less quality stuff is being listed on there.

Reaction score
Those new payment policies are utterly horrible. It’s chasing everyone away. Sellers, for obvious reasons. Buyers, because shipping delays will worsen. Sigh. Another social loss.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes to all the above.

Sellers that I swore lived around the corner from , lol, would get my package in 2 days. Now that same seller won't ship until the money is in hand.

Etsy doesn't have auctions so its buy it now and usually pretty expensive just like Amazon.

Facebook is a gamble. I had a mod sell me an item (rail for my skiff) and he or she shipped it in a padded envelope, and it broke. They gave me some money back but no one else ever sold to me again. I guess I was black balled. Another crappy Facebook thing is it's always a popularity contest and it's not a true first come first serve. Plus the possibility of never getting the item. A seller can do great for a period of time just to build confidence and trust and then do a massive burn and disappear.

I think the best bet would be fan sites like this one. Yes, all the bad can still happen, however, maybe a little less likely

Reaction score
As a buyer for 20ish years I still find eBay to be the easiest and largest range. As a buyer its nearly impossible to be ripped off and you can log in any day of the week and find what you want.

If you want to buy off Facebook you need to check it every 10 minutes. Items listed there are always snapped up in minutes. That's a big advantage eBay has, everyone has a chance to bid on an auction and it'll sell for fair market value, not a made up price the seller wants for it.

It would be good if ebay had some competition, I'm sure they would still be insanely profitable if they charges 5% fees

Reaction score
If I may add my two cents. I've taken somewhat of a hiatus from collecting as of late, as I only need to track down the last 17 and basically every single accessory for most of my figures. I have been collecting for the last seven years, and around five years ago I had a niche idea. An eBay like site, open to vintage toys only. I know there's hundreds of toy shops, thousands of collectors, and several thousand more people who would like to have a marketplace dedicated to toys, run by and frequented by people who know what they are talking about. I've seen so many eBay listings, Craigslist ads, and Kijiji listings that demand incredible amounts for the most common figures with no accessories and in rough shape. Personally, I'm quite sick of it. I know we have a classifieds page here, but it's just not the same (no disrespect meant at all). Maybe there is something out there, but I have yet to find it.

I was speaking with an eBay seller the other day, and he told me eBay takes something like 20% of his money. Simply outrageous, and quite frankly, a bit insulting.

Hope everyone is doing well, happy holidays and a happy new year to you all!

Reaction score
I've seen so many eBay listings, Craigslist ads, and Kijiji listings that demand incredible amounts for the most common figures with no accessories and in rough shape.
Yeah but on the flipside I can find things for dirt cheap wrongly listed!

I ended all my ebay listings and won't list more till they bring back paypal.

Reaction score
As a buyer for 20ish years I still find eBay to be the easiest and largest range. As a buyer its nearly impossible to be ripped off and you can log in any day of the week and find what you want.

If you want to buy off Facebook you need to check it every 10 minutes. Items listed there are always snapped up in minutes. That's a big advantage eBay has, everyone has a chance to bid on an auction and it'll sell for fair market value, not a made up price the seller wants for it.

It would be good if ebay had some competition, I'm sure they would still be insanely profitable if they charges 5% fees
I agree. I don’t see many viable alternatives to me as a buyer; I’ll still patronize the site as often as I can to find exactly what I’m looking for under controlled circumstances. I’ve been a member since 2001 and have over 3,300 individual feedbacks (from different users) as a buyer alone. 🤪

Even so, I fear for all sellers, whose plights definitely will end up affecting all buyers in so many various ways. Hopefully, the users’ dissatisfaction will result in a reversal.

The site is the Empire, and we users collectively are flying X-wings; maybe we can fire proton torpedos into their managed payments exhaust ports.

Reaction score
The site is the Empire, and we users collectively are flying X-wings; maybe we can fire proton torpedos into their managed payments exhaust ports.
I thought about sending them an email. Instead I just cancelled all my listings. If enough of us do so, that they see whole digit percentages drop off, they'll reverse course.

Reaction score
If I may add my two cents. I've taken somewhat of a hiatus from collecting as of late, as I only need to track down the last 17 and basically every single accessory for most of my figures. I have been collecting for the last seven years, and around five years ago I had a niche idea. An eBay like site, open to vintage toys only. I know there's hundreds of toy shops, thousands of collectors, and several thousand more people who would like to have a marketplace dedicated to toys, run by and frequented by people who know what they are talking about. I've seen so many eBay listings, Craigslist ads, and Kijiji listings that demand incredible amounts for the most common figures with no accessories and in rough shape. Personally, I'm quite sick of it. I know we have a classifieds page here, but it's just not the same (no disrespect meant at all). Maybe there is something out there, but I have yet to find it.

I was speaking with an eBay seller the other day, and he told me eBay takes something like 20% of his money. Simply outrageous, and quite frankly, a bit insulting.

Hope everyone is doing well, happy holidays and a happy new year to you all!
That's a great idea, just needs someone to get it up and running.
From an Australian perspective, eBay have recently started charging 10% tax ( why are we paying tax on vintage items ? ... That's a debate for another time ) So, if you add up the new tax plus the outrageously expensive Global Shipping Program eBay is becoming a very unattractive option for buying.

Reaction score
I've noticed a lot less items in my emailed saved searches. Ebay tries really hard to find something that might be related to what I'm looking for but it's usually nothing similar. Seems like I get a lot of repeat items each day or the same way over priced items they send.

Reaction score
+1 for complaint on taxes for used items.

Here in the U.S., that sales tax charge is driven by the buyer's State of Residence, so as a buyer, I personally am not hit by it. As a seller, it's hard to see how the fees work out these days, to see the direct effect, but my gut is that since a buyer may have additional cost, my sales are going to go down since presumably, the buyer would have less purchasing power.

The flip side is, as a seller, I would absolutely hate the additional overhead of figuring out if and when I'd need to collect sales tax and send it to the appropriate government. Of course...that goes back to '+1 for complaint on taxes for used items'.

Reaction score
They have a total de facto monopoly and absolutely no opposition from anyone with any actual power to stop them. The only alternative would be a completely new (but old-school) auction site.

Reaction score
eBay might charge the 10% because it might be in a city that charges that in taxes. There are plenty of cities in California that charge that amount.

For the fees, the only suggestion I have is to make a date in the future months in advance and tell eBay to change back what new changes they made. We can spread the news and on that date pull all auctions and not buy or log into eBay that day. SW is one of if not the biggest selling items on eBay so we can be strong together and start a rebellion or suffer in the hands of the eBay empire.

Reaction score
eBay might charge the 10% because it might be in a city that charges that in taxes. There are plenty of cities in California that charge that amount.

For the fees, the only suggestion I have is to make a date in the future months in advance and tell eBay to change back what new changes they made. We can spread the news and on that date pull all auctions and not buy or log into eBay that day. SW is one of if not the biggest selling items on eBay so we can be strong together and start a rebellion or suffer in the hands of the eBay empire.
That has a snowballs chance. They do NOT care.

Reaction score
Unless you can get the Chinese retailers to join your boycott it won’t work.

Reaction score
What good is coming out of China now a days ? Bruce Lee is long gone ... and was COVID-19 truly born /bred there ? I suppose the China man has to eat as well.

Reaction score
What good is coming out of China now a days ? Bruce Lee is long gone ... and was COVID-19 truly born /bred there ? I suppose the China man has to eat as well.
Bruce Lee was born in San Francisco, and lived there and in Hong Kong (when it was a British Colony), which wasn't considered part of mainland China until just recently. "China man" is derogatory, and seems you should know better since you also live in California. Seems not much has changed in regard to racial ignorance since my ancestors migrated here in late 1800's. Pity.

Reaction score
He was / is Chinese. Get in touch with reality!

Have you seen the revamp on all you can eat Chinese buffet's in the last year!! This is the way of the world we're all living in now, not so sure what all the fuss is about , but I'm pretty much done paying $14-17 for a buffet meal now ... just not worth the headache ... or what "could" happen.

Thanks in advance for judging me , who you think I am.

Last edited:
Reaction score

At the end, 24.5 min , he considers himself a "human being" first and foremost.

That's what should matter, is that he's human. My perspective of Bruce (never knew him , only watched his films) , is that his parents / ancestors were from China , thus he's got Chinese blood .... DNA flowing thru him, thru and thru. That's his foundation as a human in my POV. I don't consider that bad or good , it just is what it is ( he had no control over that when he was born). Can people change .... can people flow like water, and be something that they want to be .... sure, anything is possible. Bruce put his mind to becoming one of the best martial artists of all time (and an actor) , and that's his legacy. It's self expression ... ying-yang . I get it to some degree dude, I was a purple belt in Karate .... and I had three years of Auto shop in HS (I've got to be a car guru now .. then, right ??!!)

Reaction score

At the end, 24.5 min , he considers himself a "human being" first and foremost.

That's what should matter, is that he's human. My perspective of Bruce (never knew him , only watched his films) , is that his parents / ancestors were from China , thus he's got Chinese blood .... DNA flowing thru him, thru and thru. That's his foundation as a human in my POV. I don't consider that bad or good , it just is what it is ( he had no control over that when he was born). Can people change .... can people flow like water, and be something that they want to be .... sure, anything is possible. Bruce put his mind to becoming one of the best martial artists of all time (and an actor) , and that's his legacy. It's self expression ... ying-yang . I get it to some degree dude, I was a purple belt in Karate .... and I had three years of Auto shop in HS (I've got to be a car guru now .. then, right ??!!)
Bro, I think you're missing the point. "What good has come out of China lately"-->Bruce Lee never did come out of China and his parents left China for a better life in America, right? Hong Kongers have a unique identity in the world, as least up to the most recent event there. You can't corner all people of Chinese blood/DNA into one bucket. HK/Macau/TW/foreign born people of Chinese ancestry doesn't mean that is where they identify with.

The Chinese (American) Buffets you mention for the most part those are open to appeal to the American diners. You don't really see those in Asia (if you've every been) and when you do it's usually in international hotel chains. "More bang for the buck" dining is a uniquely American sentiment, and if you're still hungry in Asia you have to order (and pay for) more food.

Lastly, I don't pretend to know more about you than what you've posted here. Auto shop experience? Great, I know about cars too, that's not my job though. Karate? That's from the land of the rising sun. Bruce Lee would have told you that purple belt is only good for holding up your pants. LOL. Just remember, being water means flowing with the the current situation we're all dealt with. With the current anti-AAPI sentiments, I hope you can understand why it's important to remember-->We're all the same.

Reaction score
Pop-Up Saber ( sorry... you got me excited ... "Pop-UP") , you've got to be right then , and I'm probably just about all wrong!!

Wasn't it though he spend much of his time in Oakland (not really so much SF) developing his martial arts style , after moving down from Seattle ?

I'd still say that ones ancestry (most races /creeds, etc) , that most people tend to identify with would be where your parents ( going back 1-3 generations) were born /raised. However I get it , people (anyone) can identify with what ever they choose.

So getting back to China .... what good has really come out of there the last 30 years or so ? I see multi-national companies producing product there ( consumables , hard goods/ durables) but lots of pollution there , polluting the lands ( I don't believe they have any kind of EPA there, and if so it's weak). All for the all mighty dollar ... or something, right ? Fill me in, what's coming out of there that's so great the last 10-20 years ?

Reaction score
The point is eBay seems to want to stop being the world’s yardsale and become a mainstream purveyor of mass produced (mostly made in China) goods. All this proposed collector boycott would do, is make eBay execs happy that their plans are working.

Reaction score
The point is eBay seems to want to stop being the world’s yardsale and become a mainstream purveyor of mass produced (mostly made in China) goods. All this proposed collector boycott would do, is make eBay execs happy that their plans are working.
In other Ebay China news..... I was looking around for some acrylic display cases and saw this listing. Easily the weirdest thing Ive ever seen on Ebay. MAKE SURE YOU SCROLL THROUGH EVERY PICTURE

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Reaction score
That would be a very stupid move on ebays part period. If they want to forgo guaranteed income from the so called "garage sales" and take on huge conglomerates like Amazon to gain garbage sales, ,, then its the beginning of the end for eBay.

For those of you that don't know, Ebay was actually started as a Bennie Baby trading site that grew into a huge auction site. Why deviate from that path