LEGO Star Wars - 20th Anniversary Thread

Reaction score
Not to sidetrack the future LEGO Star Wars 2019 News and Discussion thread, but next year is the 20th anniversary of the LEGO Star Wars line, which started in 1999 (for those of you who don't have their calculators at hand). It got me to wondering what LEGO could do to mark the occasion.

I'm hoping that we'll see some special edition sets like the 50th and 60th anniversary of the patent that gave us the brick, when LEGO released commemorative sets.

My wish is that LEGO will revive a couple of the initial OT and TPM sets from 1999. I'd like to see them re-issued with new colours and a few subtle upgrades (such as stud launchers, which didn't exist 20 years ago) but essentially stay the same.

Any other thoughts, ideas, suggestions,comments or recipes?

Reaction score
I just hope that OT sets will not be ignored due to the release of the final episode of the Sequel Trilogy. There are many fans out there (like myself) who are strictly OT fans.. :)

Reaction score
I’d like to see some nice OT sets rather than updated older sets from TPM. Wouldn’t mind another Darth Mail set but we just had The Battle at Naboo set which is cool. I think it would be cool if they did an anniversary Minifigure early bird set up with backdrop like Kenner did with their action figures. Another set that would be cool is a Death Star scene where Luke and Leia swing across for safety while avoiding stormtroopers. I’m sure there will be some cool sets to come.

Reaction score
Didn't realize next year is the 20th anniversary of Star Wars LEGO. I would have been 8 in 1999 and I still remember getting the LEGO Catalogue and seeing the first Star Wars sets being advertised. I got the 7110 Landspeeder and 7128 Speeder Bikes. I still have those old catalogues as well (anyone want a UCS Star Destroyer for $300????)

Good times. Simpler times.

Reaction score
Every larger set from 1999 has been done and done again. As look back at those sets, there is nothing I really want in the smaller sets updated as an anniversary set.
With that said, the pod racer sets have had the least remakes in completeness. I would look at an updated Vader’s TIE advanced though, I still don’t think we have a definitive version.
I am just not interested in TPM:EP1 sets of battle droids, Gungans, flashspeeders...

Dax

Reaction score
Would love a mini-figures set like the recent Harry Potter one. Honestly, it would just be Lego printing money. Use the same approach too... mostly OT characters with a handful of prequel/sequel characters as well. I'd buy a box :)

Reaction score
Would love a mini-figures set like the recent Harry Potter one. Honestly, it would just be Lego printing money. Use the same approach too... mostly OT characters with a handful of prequel/sequel characters as well. I'd buy a box :)

Skipping over the whole "Hasbro won't let LEGO do it" conversation, personally I'd hate to see a dedicated LSW CMF line.

There are too many characters for them to pick from and everyone would ***** that X and Y didn't get made. They'd be making a rod for their own backs.

LOTR though, yes. Definitely yes.

Reaction score
Casting call - Rebelscum is working directly with LEGO to find fans who have cool LEGO SW collections.

Dust off your camera because LEGO is looking to showcase collections from the Star Wars community, and Rebelscum has been tasked to assist.
lego_castingcall_dustoffyourcamera.jpg

Do you have - or know someone who has - a collection that deserves to be limelighted? It doesn't have to be the biggest, most complete or amazingly well displayed collection; it just needs to be Star Wars! LEGO is looking for anybody who is proud of their sets and wants to take part in a special project.

If this sounds like you, or anyone you know, then we want to hear back! All you have to do is send an email to me at jeremy@rebelscum.com with your name and a single 'head shot' photo of the LEGO Star Wars display. No photography skills are necessary, so if you're a point-and-click photographer you won't be excluded. We will pass it on to the LEGO community engagement team, who will reach out to explain the full details of the project.

Last edited:
Reaction score
What's the deadline on this, Jeremy? I have a huge Lego SW collection (over 300 LSW sets, 850+ minifigures), but haven't gotten around to organizing everything after moving last year.

Reaction score
While the twentieth anniversary of the first LEGO Star Wars sets might not garner the worldwide attention and ticker-tape parades we know it deserves, LEGO is still going to mark the occasion - in a small way.

And that small way, reports Stone Wars, is through a series of limited edition minifigs that will be included in five selected sets.

leg0_lsw20comingsoon_badge.jpg

In addition to the normal minifigs that LEGO will include in their 20th Anniversary Collection, the sets chosen to have a specially printed minifig that were originally released in 1999 are:

75243 Slave I - Princess Leia
75258 Anakin's Podracer - Luke Skywalker
75259 Snowspeeder - Lando Calrissian
75261 Clone Scout Walker - Darth Vader
75262 Imperial Dropship - Han Solo

Intel suggests that each minifig will have the original yellow skin tone (with the exception of the Lando Calrissian and Darth Vader minifigs) that they were initially introduced in. According to sources, in order to differentiate them from their original counterparts, they will have a special "20 Years - LEGO Star Wars 1999-2019" printed on the back of the torse piece.
Additionally, it is expected, that they will include a gold-coloured blaster and a display tile to stand on.

lego_20thtilemockup.jpg

Remember that none of this has been verified by official sources and until it does it could just be purple monkey dishwasher.

For those expecting to something more reflective of the basic and rudimentary set designs of the early years of the LEGO Star Wars line, why not have a look at the latest LEGO Star Wars 4+ sets which includes three iconic, simple-to-assemble spacecraft that are great introductory sets.

http://www.rebelscum.com/story/lego/LEGO_LSW20_What_We_Think_We_Know_182897.asp

Last edited:
Reaction score
Initial reports didn't include the Slave-1 in the anniversary assortment, does this mean it will be like the original version? If so that's awesome news as I have wanted to pickup the legacy set, here is to hoping it includes the vintage Boba Fett mini figure as well, I hate the more complex ones with faces they have been using.

Reaction score
The commemorative 'yellow-skinned' minifigures are cool; but rather than re-release sets that we've already seen, I'd much rather have had them dig deep and give us some truly unique things that haven't been covered before.

Reaction score
Officially, the '75243: Slave I (with Leia)' is what I am gunning for. But it has to be confirmed, within my limited budget, and I can get a NM+ to Mint MISB piece. Otherwise I am either going to move on or seek out an older set. Either way I have sacrifices to prepare for. :hmm:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Are these going to be carbon copies of the original sets or have updated color schemes?

There is no official word on this yet. So it can be anything from that to this being another series of updated sets that have the commemorative figure being a 20th anniversary reissue.

Reaction score
Cool. Hopefully they go back to basics for this line.

I can understand that. The power of nostalgia can do that to a person. And it is why I started my original goal by ordering two retired sets (4476 and 9496) on eBay. The debut variant of both Boba Fett and Han Solo (in Carbonite) are a fun comparison to their later releases. And the sarlacc in the 75174 set feels a bit... off. I think it is either the shape, the color, or both. But that is me.

And if they are reissuing previous sets and putting them in anniversary boxes, my only wish is that they use the 6209 version of Slave I. The later sets are nicer and the one before it is 'meh'. But in terms of being both budget friendly and visually fun, this one appears to be the best bet. Otherwise I will have to hope my budget is ready if it turns out to be a new take on Boba Fett's Slave I.

Reaction score
I can understand that. The power of nostalgia can do that to a person. And it is why I started my original goal by ordering two retired sets (4476 and 9496) on eBay. The debut variant of both Boba Fett and Han Solo (in Carbonite) are a fun comparison to their later releases. And the sarlacc in the 75174 set feels a bit... off. I think it is either the shape, the color, or both. But that is me.

And if they are reissuing previous sets and putting them in anniversary boxes, my only wish is that they use the 6209 version of Slave I. The later sets are nicer and the one before it is 'meh'. But in terms of being both budget friendly and visually fun, this one appears to be the best bet. Otherwise I will have to hope my budget is ready if it turns out to be a new take on Boba Fett's Slave I.

I still have all my Lego sets dating back to 1996. The first Slave 1 was amazing when I was 11 and it still remains displayed to this day. It would be interesting to see if they repack that but with the later paint scheme.

Reaction score
Unless the 20th-anniversary sets are a limited edition line, I highly doubt they'll be based on the original set designs. They'd have very little appeal to kids.

Reaction score
I still have all my Lego sets dating back to 1996. The first Slave 1 was amazing when I was 11 and it still remains displayed to this day. It would be interesting to see if they repack that but with the later paint scheme.

Personally, I do not like that one. Not saying it looks bad in person. Because it definitely has that LEGO feel I enjoyed in the 1980s. But because I am on the edge of the abyss pondering if I need a LEGO version of Slave I, I know that specific one is not the ship that I am looking for.

Unless the 20th-anniversary sets are a limited edition line, I highly doubt they'll be based on the original set designs. They'd have very little appeal to kids.

The anniversary set is more than likely being aimed at adult collectors than children. The addition of a 20th anniversary exclusive mini-fig is something that collectors seek out. So even if these are not LE sets, they know that doing this will get adult LEGO collectors to buy these even if they claim it is also for their kids. :disgusted:

Reaction score
Are these going to be carbon copies of the original sets or have updated color schemes?

So I was looking at these in the Lego store yesterday and the Dropship was definitely an updated rendition of the dropship.

Do we know if it's the same case for the Snowspeeder and Slave I? I'm hesitant to buy the same set over for minor differences...

Reaction score
I mean, the Snowspeeder has been done ad nauseam at this point (without any major revisions for years).

The new Slave I, on the other hand, is a completely overhauled design. It looks to be a scaled-down version of the UCS set.

Reaction score
I mean, the Snowspeeder has been done ad nauseam at this point (without any major revisions for years).

The new Slave I, on the other hand, is a completely overhauled design. It looks to be a scaled-down version of the UCS set.

Yeah I get that we have a ton of Snowspeeders, but since they could all technically be unique, I like to buy each new version. So unless it's extremely similar to an earlier release I'd want one.

Not so excited about a third version of the medium sized Slave I on the other hand...

Reaction score
If someone already has an UCS Slave 1, why the new smaller sized one. I just got Zuckuss off eBay for $12. Though I do understand people wanting them all.

Reaction score
Having not owned any of the previous Slave I sets, I was all in on this one. Not sure if the price tag really matches the value, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the heck out of building this! Very sturdy build and the overall asthetics are very true to the actual ship. I'm glad to have this in my collection!

Reaction score
If someone already has an UCS Slave 1, why the new smaller sized one.

Put yourself in the mindset of a 12-year-old who can't afford or doesn't have the skills/patience to build the UCS set and wasn't around in 2010 when 8097 Slave I came out. It's for that kid.

As for owning both - completists. I have two original Slave Is, Jango's Slave I, 8097, the UCS set and the latest 20th anniversary one. But I'm a sucker.

Last edited:

GNT

Reaction score
I've seen the 20th Anniversary line on shelves atm, must say I do love the packaging and the inclusion of an original style minifigure.

Reaction score
Have to say the Slave One is a really nice build glad I was able to get a nice Slave One in my collection. My only complaint is the cargo hold door doesn’t stay shut if you have much weight in the cargo hold. Other than that, it’s great and I need to figure out a MOC on a stand to display it upright.

Reaction score
I too have fond memories of LEGO Star Wars. I was eight years old at the time LEGO Star Wars came around. I loved it and still do. When The Phantom Menace was released, I enjoyed it thoroughly and I still do along with Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith in tow. If it wasn't for the prequels, then I would never have discovered the original trilogy. I like both the original originals and the special editions (still a 90s/2000s kid/tween/teenager in me). It was LEGO that helped me get into Star Wars fully. It was like two of our favourite things coming together like bread and butter.

And to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the very-first licenced theme from a certain toy company, I worked very hard on a labour of love that I wish to share with you, plus it is a combination-tribute of two of my favourite starfighters from the saga. You'll found out soon on May 4th.

Reaction score
I wonder how Lego came up with the choices for the 20th Anniversary sets. I get the fact that they wanted to spread the ships across the saga timeline and incorporate some EU designs as well but the with the exception of the Snowspeeder and the Slave 1 the rest of the sets sorta fall flat for me. the podracer is cool but not really into it same with the dropship. I've yet to build the Slave 1.