LEGO Death Star Display Suggestions

Reaction score
I've finally taken the plunge and ordered the lego Death Star. I'm looking at different ways to display it after its fully operational. I got a quote for a 5 sided acrylic case and my quote was $250 which I thought high.

I wanted to find out if anyone here has any other suggests because at this price I may as well spend more for a larger display cabinet.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Mine is in the middle of the dining room table. I'm planning on getting some kind of turntable to put it on, but haven't really looked.

Reaction score
I feel like you may as well just display it with the side you like best facing out like any other set, that is the conclusion I came to. It is a bit to large to put in the center of the room so it can be viewed from all angles (especially in a display case), but I guess you might have a lot more room than I do. I have a spare bedroom dedicated as the Lego room and there is not enough room... The minifigs that come with it fill up the outer viewable half pretty well but if you try to spread them out over the whole DS it looks sparse (I'm picky about adding things to official Lego sets) you might be fine with adding 10 or 12 storm troopers to fill it out a bit.

I have thought about hanging it, and that might be a plausible answer to your question. It would get it out of the way and be viewable from all sides...but I have this image in my head of it falling and exploding.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've doubled a few figures (two Leia, two Obi-Wan, plus different versions of Luke and Han), plus added several extra Stormtroopers, TIE Pilots, officers, and droids. It's pretty full.

Reaction score
That is my only complaint about the set...there are too few storm troopers and I know I'll need to add more.

I don't have a lot of room but I do have space for one more display cabinet. My hope was to put it on an old round liquor cabinet that I have. But I can hear the screams of the mini figures already as my twin daughters and son come to play when I'm not looking. They would never stand a chance and it'll bring back memories of what happened to Harry Potter over a year ago. I'm still finding body parts of Harry and his friends.

Hanging it would be cool idea as well. I'm not familiar with the weight, but if I figure out a way to pull it off, I'll show some pictures.

Reaction score
Mine sits on nicely on shelving with the the trash compactor, briefing room, detention cell, tractor beam control, throne room and shaft Luke and Leia swing across all completely visible and accessible. The one thing I wish were visible but is obscured is the room where they view the destruction of Alderaan.

What is obscured are 2 cannons, a docking bay/tie fighter that is totally out of proportion to other figures/dioramas and a couple of random rooms that are only there to fill up space, so no great loss.

I've also populated it with a full imperial briefing room, security staff and additional stormtroopers which enhance it no end.

Reaction score
Hanging it would be kind of neat, but the weight would be a big obstacle and you'd need a reasonably high ceiling. I've had to go with the leaving my favorite side out option which for me highlights the throne room. I've got Palpatine standing over Luke with the sith lightning and Vader looking on with his hand removed. Also added a bunch of extra Stormies to other rooms.

Reaction score
I think I have it solved. I have a corner in my room that has low traffic so I think I'll install a corner shelf at about shoulder-eye level. That should give it an up in the air hanging look, protect it from Munchkin Attack (my kids) and allow 2/3rds of the Death Star to be displayed. Hopefully it looks as good as I envision lol.

Reaction score
I'm almost done building it...I think hanging it would be too much of a risk. I knew it was big, but it is a lot heavier than it looks. I think I'll just get a display cabinet and expand my collection. I think it's also too big for my corner shelf idea from before as well.

It is a beautiful example of lego engineering though. It's been a lot of fun to build!

Reaction score
The reason why I mentioned hanging it earlier in this thread was because of a guy I listen to who does a weekly podcast. At one point he mentioned he had the DS hanging above his computer. I haven't seen it but it makes me wonder how he has it set up.

Reaction score
I'm almost done building it...I think hanging it would be too much of a risk. I knew it was big, but it is a lot heavier than it looks. I think I'll just get a display cabinet and expand my collection. I think it's also too big for my corner shelf idea from before as well.

It is a beautiful example of lego engineering though. It's been a lot of fun to build!
you should try to set up a base that will move, then hook up some technic gears and have it rotate, even slowly.. That would be awesome.