Legends of the West Kickstarter!

Reaction score
I got mine today. The card material kind of puts Hasbro's to shame, durability wise. Some thick/heavy card stock. Decent paint apps, although the Lawmen and Marshal I ordered are missing the badge. The actual reason that I ordered them for, so a bit disappointed there. Especially for the price of these. Would have loved to have been able to get the "Lone ranger" figure.

Unfortunately it's been so long since placing this order, that I feel I'm in a very different place collecting wise. And may end up selling them off with some other items I no longer have a use for.

other than that they're great looking figures.

Reaction score
Just ordered The Marshall, The Sharpshooter, The Cow Puncher, and the Man in Black. I can't wait to get these...it seems like forever since they were announced. Thrilled to be able to get the Cow Puncher and Man in Black as I was a huge Johnny West nut in my younger days.

Reaction score
My figures will be here tomorrow! Really excited. I haven't even gotten them yet and I am already planning on getting a few more LOL.

Hey Crayfish, what horses are those?

Reaction score
My figures will be here tomorrow! Really excited. I haven't even gotten them yet and I am already planning on getting a few more LOL.

Hey Crayfish, what horses are those?
Those are the World Peacekeepers horses that you sometimes find at Big Lots. They only come in brown but Krylon Fusion spray paint is your friend. Go matte on the white and satin on the black.

Reaction score
So my Dime Novel Legends arrived yesterday and, man, I couldn't be any happier with them! Well worth the wait and well worth the (kind of high) price.

These guys are everything I ever wanted when I was a kid! When I was little, before Star Wars was a gleam in George Lucas' eye, it was all about Cowboys and Indians for me.

I gobbled up every western TV show and movie that I could. Some of my favorite shows were The High Chaparral, The Wild Wild West, The Rifleman, Have Gun Will Travel, and Rawhide (all reruns at that point mind you, I'm not THAT old). Some of my favorite films were Little Big Man, The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean, and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

We lived in Arizona for five years and paid regular visits to Tombstone and Old Tucson movie studios (where the High Chaparral was filmed) I had a crap ton of the Best of the West figures and played the heck out of them. I had a Cowboy outfit, a Mattel Fanner 50, a Mattel Shoot N' Shell rifle, and one of those horses on the springs. I lived and breathed this stuff!

Star Wars came along and changed my world, but I have still always had an affinity for Westerns. As a pretty much life long Wyatt Earp junkie, Tombstone is probably my favorite Western film, but to this day I will eagerly watch pretty much any Western. I love Deadwood, Godless, Hell on Wheels...heck, I even dug Winona Earp!

Anyway, to get to the point, I have followed this project rabidly from the get go. Due to finances at the time, I couldn't back the kickstarter, but I knew I would have to get these somehow. When I saw they were for sale at SmallJoes, I freaked! Ordered them immediately. So, like I said, I couldn't be any happier with them. They turned out fantastic, Great paint work, great articulation, awesome accessories, nice packaging. I just love them to death!

My only issue was that the arm joints (both the elbows and the shoulders) were very tight on all four of the figures I got. I had read this was true for a lot of folks that have them and that there have been some cases of breakage. I was extremely careful when removing them from the inner plastic bubble and then I did what Chicken Fried Toys suggested and dropped them in some boiling water for a few seconds before trying to move the joints. Happy to report that I had no issues after that, though the shoulder joints are still a little tight even after boiling.

Now that I have these four, I really want to order some more...I've got the bug! I also need to hunt down some horses. Anyway, sorry for rambling on but, if you can't tell, I am super excited about these guys!

Here's a few shots of mine:

Reaction score
I will call him...Mini Me

Broke down and ordered the Bad Lands Vigilante and Trail Boss a little while ago.

Reaction score
The horse from the Indiana Jones line works really well with these. Wish I'd picked up a few more back when they were dirt cheap!

Reaction score
I'll echo the positive sentiment from folks who have also received their kickstarter fulfillments - sometimes, things can be hit or miss, but these seem to be well executed!

I didn't go strongly in on this as I've been leaning away from 1:18. Glad to see it was a success and look forward to more!

Reaction score
Yeah, I know there were some ups and downs with the Kickstarter and throughout the whole process of getting these from concept to the customer. I also know there were a lot of folks unhappy with the lack of updates throughout the process and the sometimes abrasive sounding comments on FB and whatnot. There's tons of discussion about all of this over on TheFwoosh forums.

To me, all that counts is the end product and I think they really delivered with these. I don't spend this kind of money frivolously, and these aren't cheap, but to me they are worth every penny.

I can't imagine what putting something like this together is like and my hats off to CFT for weathering the storm and putting out some awesome figures. I wish them continued success and look forward to more to come.

Reaction score
I got mine today. The card material kind of puts Hasbro's to shame, durability wise. Some thick/heavy card stock. Decent paint apps, although the Lawmen and Marshal I ordered are missing the badge. The actual reason that I ordered them for, so a bit disappointed there. Especially for the price of these. Would have loved to have been able to get the "Lone ranger" figure.

Unfortunately it's been so long since placing this order, that I feel I'm in a very different place collecting wise. And may end up selling them off with some other items I no longer have a use for.

other than that they're great looking figures.
Masterfett, have you opened them? The badges come separately in the little baggy of accessories and you have to glue them on yourself.

Reaction score
Received my Bad Lands Vigilante and Trail Boss today (along with a couple of Boot Hill Loot Packs) and I did receive a note from SmallJoes in the box. It reads:

ATTENTION COLLECTORS: in some rare cases the elbow joint of your Dime Novel Legends figure may appear to be "stuck". If you attempt to force this articulation joint the joint will break and SMALLJOES.COM will not provide replacements in such an event. the joint can be freed and returned to working order by dipping it into some hot tap water for a few minutes

I guess this is somewhat understandable, as I believe the policy was for broken figures to be sent back to Chicken Fried Toys (not SmallJoes) for replacement, repair, or refund. And at least they are including a warning about the joints and a fix for them, though I don't know how well hot tap water would work. I usually bring water to a boil for this type of thing.

Anyway, I am happy to report that neither my Bad Lands Vigilante nor my Trail Boss had any issues with either the elbow or shoulder joints this time! They worked perfectly right out of the package (all four of my previous figures had stuck joints) and I couldn't be happier with them. The BLV is indeed an excellent figure! He's just so damn cool! Glad I pulled the trigger (no pun inteneded) on him.

Reaction score
Gave a custom figure a try using this line and some boss fight parts. Hard to tell but the chains go from the rear of the belt to the end of the pistols. All articulation still functions though the outer elbow keeps doing paint rub so I haven't solved that yet. Still some work to be done on it by trying to add some flame effects around the head and hat. It is loosely based on a marvel legends style custom that I saw on the net.

Utinniii

Reaction score
I never got any of these, but if they did Brisco County Jr. look alikes, I don't think I could resist a Lord Bowler, Brisco and Green dress Dixie Cousins. I'd file that claim.

New West World series figures would also be cool. Also, a Tracy Walter figure.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment, it is actually a boss fight skeleton head with the hole slightly modified to fit the cft neck peg. The flash really makes the gloss show but the neck looks a bit more like the skull color in person. It is close enough for me anyway. Lol.

I didn't open the carded set but did open the multiple buckaroos I ordered to customize. I had a shoulder joint snap on me was so far the only problem I had with one figure. By the time I realized that I needed to contact smalljoes instead of chicken fried toys they said they were no longer responsible for replacement so I just set it aside to see if I can figure a fix later. Other than that one joint the rest of the buckaroos all have fantastic articulation and the carded one look great so I am pleased. Pleased enough I placed more orders for accessories and whatnot even after my ks and add ons were delivered.

What is the recipe for the Tonto, Zorro, and the John Wayne look alike? Those turned out great.

Utinniii

Reaction score
It does look good. I have an Indy body slated for Brisco and GOTG Blue Earl for Bowler. I probaby will wind up using an Anime figure for Dixie.

(On a completely side note, now I have the urge to take a MIB body and a BSG Commander Adonna head and make a Phanstasm Tall Man fig.)

Reaction score
What is the recipe for the Tonto, Zorro, and the John Wayne look alike? Those turned out great.
Classic Old West TV Sidekick – Boss Fight Studio VitruvianHACKS Basic Brown Male Elf body with neck removed, Marauder Task Force extra suitbody in tan skin….cut that neck off and attach to BFS elf body. AVAC cast head from JoeCon 2018 Spirit, BFS Feloniousleg wraps, MTF large neckerchief, CFT belt, holster, sheath, knife, pistol

Legendary Swordsman – CFT Man in Black upper and lower body,head with modified hair, mouth, and facial hair, and neckerchief; CFTBuck-A-Roo #4 lower arms with black bracers to make the upper part of gloves,CFT Marshall hat, MTF- black glove hands, MTF black bandana, Hasbro Star Wars Commtech DarthVader cape (for the thickness) or any thick Darth Vader cape, [first sword] GIJoe Retaliation Crimson Guard sword heated, straitened, and painted, [secondsword] GI Joe SDCC James McCullen rapier sword and flintlock pistol, GI Joe 50[SUP]th[/SUP]Storm Shadow red sash

Duke of the West – CFT Cowpuncher vest, CFT Trail Boss hat painted a littledarker, CFT Buck-A-Roo #2 lower body, CFT Trail Boss feet and neckerchief, CFTBuck-A-Roo # 5 shirt, GI Joe 25
[SUP]th[/SUP]
Ripcord or Red Star head (Red Star has a little darker hair so it works with no painting, CFT gun, belt, andholster

Last edited:
Reaction score
I never got any of these, but if they did Brisco County Jr. look alikes, I don't think I could resist a Lord Bowler, Brisco and Green dress Dixie Cousins. I'd file that claim.

New West World series figures would also be cool. Also, a Tracy Walter figure.
Don't forget Pete Hutter, Aaron Viva, and John Bly! With detail like this line, they would be irresistible.
These all look so great, a really top quality looking line.

Utinniii

Reaction score
Don't forget Pete Hutter, Aaron Viva, and John Bly! With detail like this line, they would be irresistible.
These all look so great, a really top quality looking line.
'd definately get a Pete and Bly (RIP). I think I'd rather get a Professor Wickwire over Viva though. I'm sure there are a dozen of characters from the show that are worthy of a figure.
I

Reaction score

I don’t have this figure yet, but every time I see a picture I think the headsculpt looks a lot like some of the Indy headsculpts from the Hasbro line. I know you’re an Indy fan from way back (what ever happened to The Raven forum btw?), am I way off or is there a resemblance?

Reaction score
I don’t have this figure yet, but every time I see a picture I think the headsculpt looks a lot like some of the Indy headsculpts from the Hasbro line. I know you’re an Indy fan from way back (what ever happened to The Raven forum btw?), am I way off or is there a resemblance?
Yeah, I've thought the same thing. Not sure why they gave him the 5 O'clock shadow. I'll try to post a comparison pic of him and Indy as soon as my daughter gets her crap out from in front of my Indy display cabinet.

Not sure what happened to The Raven. It's still there, just not as active as it once was. Not a whole lot to talk about right now I guess.

Reaction score
Yeah, I've thought the same thing. Not sure why they gave him the 5 O'clock shadow. I'll try to post a comparison pic of him and Indy as soon as my daughter gets her crap out from in front of my Indy display cabinet.

Not sure what happened to The Raven. It's still there, just not as active as it once was. Not a whole lot to talk about right now I guess.
I don’t mind the whiskers, I actually wish they’d have done more heads with just mustaches as that was far and away the most common style of the time.

Re: The Raven, every time I’ve tried to visit the last few months I’ve gotten an error message, can you actually access the forums?

Reaction score
Oh wow, I hadn't been over there in a while, I'm getting an error too.

I joined their Facebook page, but I see no mention of TheRaven being down. That was the best place for Indy stuff...very sad.

Last edited:
Reaction score
this is the buckaroo that broke on me and I never got a response from the company about. I decided to use it as is so his left arm is permanently glued at the shoulder but I don't think it looks to bad for a random cowboy.

The Robin looking one is named agent r from the graphic novel the blue, the gray, and the bat. The other is named chief man of bats which is apparently a character from the Batman Inc comics. I wanted a Batman type character to go with the agent r and frankly the Batman from that same novel was sort of to plain so I found this Western themed character. Due to scale I took some artistic license. The eyes on all my characters that came with non factory heads are terrible because my painting skills are lacking.

The Tonto figure has a close recipe to the one posted before in here but I used a random head and didn't do the neck fixes he did. It's not quite as nice as his looks but it's the best I could muster. The other is a random Indian and then the brown cowboy isn't customized to much just a head swap I think.

Reaction score
"Dallas/Fort Worth based toy company Chicken Fried Toys™ will be set up at GalaxyCon at the Kentucky International Convention Center in Louisville, Kentucky on November 22-24 and will be bringing their highly successful action figure line: Dime Novel Legends™, their first-ever lineup of 3.75-inch, fully articulated, collectible action figures that bring back the essence of the American Frontier West. These realistic reproductions of iconic Western archetypes feature authentic styling and looks, and include numerous accessories and gear that historically reflect the period between 1835 and 1895. Be sure to stop by and meet one of the creators and get a chance to purchase these highly detailed, highly articulated, and highly accessorized action figures with no waits, no shipping time, and no hassle as well as get a peek at what is to come in the next year. We hope to see you there."

Reaction score
Masterfett, have you opened them? The badges come separately in the little baggy of accessories and you have to glue them on yourself.
Okay thanks for that!
I hadn't opened them as I've not had time to fully take stock of several purchases made at the same time. Plus I'm not 100% sure I'll keep them as I've had some things come up and need to offload some of the stuff outside my core collecting focus. Been needing to downsize the past few years, but I'm lazy like that.

Unfortunately after 17 years I am being let go due to the Companies restructuring, as well as several Hundred other Employees. So this has put the brakes on a lot of things I had planned. I had wandered off the path with all these cool new lines and had gotten out of control. lol
So this is my wake up call to rein it in.