Leaving the Rebelscum Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello Friends,

I wanted to take a moment to say bye to my fellow collectors here at Rebelscum. While collecting toys started out as a hobby and a passion for me and later turned into a business, the fun has left the hobby for me. I am by no means announcing any change in my profession or what I intend to do. I am simply letting everyone here know that if I don’t respond to threads, it is because I won’t be checking anymore. If I don’t respond to PM’s, please email me directly. I am still ALWAYS willing to help out any collectors in need or assist people all over the world in their dealings with scammers who make this hobby a difficult place to trade safely, sight unseen.

My decision is solely based on the fact that my skin isn’t thick enough to participate here any longer. I have tried my best for over a decade to bring honesty to this hobby and to help anyone in need. Forums are an anonymous place to toss around accusations without having to come to the realization that actual people sit on the other end. I have never behaved dishonestly, nor have I ever showed favoritism related to authentication and grading. In addition, I have always helped virtually everyone who has ever asked for my assistance. I have enough stress in my life without coming to these forums to listen to the select few people who choose to not only point out what they believe are mistakes, but also to make mean-spirited comments about the level of honesty and integrity that I (and AFA) hold dear. I don’t believe any comment could be made here which I haven’t responded to at some point in time. I don’t wish to continue to read threads here because I don’t possess the ability to easily let things roll off. I always say ‘yes’ to helping everyone and care far too much about what everyone thinks of me.

I will still post announcements here, as well as eventually finish a good sticky thread related to frequently asked questions about AFA. I will miss the lime lighting aspects, as I always enjoy seeing pictures of so many wonderful items. I am also ALWAYS willing to help anyone who has questions about Star Wars collecting in general, questions about AFA, or issues with AFA. Feel free to drop me an email any time.

Thank you,

Tom
smile.gif

Reaction score
Sorry to hear your pride in the hobby and your work has been stunted due to the forum and sorry to see you go Tom. Although i'm not into AFA I wish you good luck for the future and thanks for what you have contributed through RS and collecting in general.

michael_mensinger

Reaction score
While I'm extremely disappointed to see you leave the forums, Tom, I respect how you've come to what was clearly a difficult decision. I would personally like to thank you for the time you've spent in the past assisting collectors on these forums. Your presence in the AFA section was unquestionably beneficial to many members who participate here and that presence will undoubtedly be missed. I hope over time that you will reconsider your decision and once again be able to actively and frequently participate here...we'll be here waiting if that time should come!

Sincerely,
Mike

Reaction score
before you go tell us one thing. is it a fact you are the highest paid by afa/grading-cib/authenticating-ccc/selling? John Rollins

Reaction score
Hi Mike,

Thank you for the kind words. I will miss the participation myself. I will still prepare the FAQ section to help with any questions people may have in the future.

Thank you once again,

Tom
smile.gif

Reaction score
I certainly can understand your feelings on the matter and I'm sorry that you feel that you have to leave but at least know that this RS member appreciated the time/effort you spent here.

It's a shame all the "haters" had to go and run you off the board.

Take care of yourself.

Your friend, TSM-in-N.Y.

Reaction score
Tom,

Though I don't post here often, you've taken the time to answer several of my emails in the past when you've clearly been busy with bigger and better things.

My impression is that you are a complete gentleman and a class act and your contributions here will be missed.

Thank you,

Chad

Reaction score
chadfett said:
Tom,

Though I don't post here often, you've taken the time to answer several of my emails in the past when you've clearly been busy with bigger and better things.

My impression is that you are a complete gentleman and a class act and your contributions here will be missed.

Thank you,

Chad

i agree tom is a nice guy. but why would he walk away from RS if his hands were not "dirty"? John Rollins

Reaction score
JOHN_ROLLINS said:
before you go tell us one thing. is it a fact you are the highest paid by afa/grading-cib/authenticating-ccc/selling? John Rollins

Was that really necessary?

Reaction score
Sad to see that you're deciding to leave. I know people like to take shots, as I have as well, but I don't think the intention was to drive anyone away.

Reaction score
One can only take so many shots.
AFA does a fine job grading. The grades are right on in my experience. In my opinion the preservation/UV protection are most important to keep the Star Wars toys around for your kids kids.

One think to remember to quote another RS member, I don't remember the username. "Those who say don't know & those who know don't say.

Reaction score
Fellow Scummers,

This is truly a loss for not only the vintage community but all aspects of Star Wars collecting. I cannot think of a more knowledgeable person in identifying, cataloging, and most importantly locating items we all search for. I have been dealing with Tom for almost twelve years (dating back to Top Shop classified ads) and have never once questioned his integrity. Why? Because I was never given a reason to. It is shameful that there are members who go out of there way to insult and make false accusations about probably the hardest working man on these forums when it comes to the hobby.

If you look at the ventures Tom has been associated with CCC, AFA, and CIB, they have all been great tools in helping build and enhance our collections. Cloud City has brought to light many of the greatest finds, as well as pieces to fit all budgets and different types of collections. With AFA and CIB we have been given knowledge of repros/fakes and a better security from online purchases, authentication and the preservation of these items. To be persecuted for trying to serve the community by bringing new ideas to the forefront is ludicrous. Why people believe there have to be ulterior motives, I will never know.

These boards definitely will be less enjoyable without the quality of posts that we have become accustomed to.

Charlie Etter

Tommy_Garvey

Reaction score
Like Mike, I am truly sorry to hear that you'll be leaving us Tom. I've always thought you brought a lot to our community, and were an asset to the forums.

I hope that at some point you'll decide to participate here again.

Tommy

Reaction score
JOHN_ROLLINS said:
i agree tom is a nice guy. but why would he walk away from RS if his hands were not "dirty"? John Rollins
Errr, because he has probably had enough of Trolls in the AFA section
mad.gif

Reaction score
Sorry to see that someone has been forced off the boards by a selection of people on this forum (not necesarily on this post).

These forums should be used for discussing material things and not personal feelings towards each other.

There is only so much a moderator can do. They can edit out posts which affend but it is a lot harder to edit out posters who are offensive or believe their views must be heard even at the cost of this poor chap here who has been forced out.

You guys do everything totally different over in the USA, completely different environments and it is expected.

Sometimes I think people need to think about it seriously before they post a personal response (it should never get personal in the first place as we are a community fo Star Wars).

These boards should be welcoming, helpfull and provide support. I find many of the posts are one sided and cold.
You feel outed because your views are different from others and so you can be targeted.

If I ran this forum I would be outraged that people have been personally attacking one another because of their views.

This isn't an argument, just my opinion.

Once again, sorry to hear you have been forced out and thank you for all the hard work I have heard you have done!

Best of luck in the future and good luck with the business!

Reaction score
JOHN_ROLLINS said:
chadfett said:
Tom,

Thank you,

Chad

Narrow minded people like you are the reason why so many do not come back on these boards!
Comments like the ones you have made on here are purely to put down Tom who is saying his farewells!

You had to put the boot in didn't you. Should be ashamed of your self and I hope your parents are really proud of you!
mad.gif

Reaction score
And all this because someone disagreed with a grade on a toy figure. Tom, I'll be very sad to see you go as your posts are always great reading. Most people here clearly have things in perspective and do not need to resort to personal attacks. Unfortunately there is always going to be one or two who need to grow up and get a life.

Having been a customer of both AFA and CCC for some time I have absolutely no concerns with either business and will continue to use their services into the future.

Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear you are leaving Tom. You've been a great hep to me and other people here. We have had some discussions, but they always were friendly.

I understand where you are coming from leaving us. Sticking up for yourself once or twice is fine, but the constant "small" attacks can break anyone's spirit.

I agree with Tommy and Michael, that I hope you will change your mind in the future and come back to the forum.

-Alex

Reaction score
Though I understand why you are leaving, I too hope you change your mind. It has been very helpful to have someone here who can explain the "Norcross" point of view with such clarity. You have never backed away from an attack or from answering a question (no matter how stupid/repetitive the questions sometimes are).

Honestly, I don't really appreciate the Cloud City or AFA effect on the hobby, but your personal participation on these boards has always been appreciated. You have a unique insight into the big business side of the hobby and it is a shame that it is going away.

Reaction score
Tom your knowledge and willing to help people will be greatly missed. i do hope one day you can decide to return. i thank you very much for all of the help you have given me on my questions, i very much appreciate every amount of help you ahve given me

Reaction score
What a shame. Tom, your presence will be sorely missed. I will continue my patronage of both CCC and AFA. Both are top notch organizations. It's a sorry day when baiting morons force one's hand. Thanks for your time here and your continued, greatly appreciated contributions to the collecting community.

JW

Reaction score
Hey Tom,

I'm sorry to see you stop posting here, it will lessen this place.

I don't think you have a thin skin either, having just read some of the garbage in the other posts I think you've been remarkably restrained. I'm pissed off for you and I don't even have a dog in the fight!

Anyone who ever achieved anything difficult, who built something from nothing or created something successful knows that there will always be a conga-line of small-minded critics waiting for the chance to bring you down.

Continued success with CIB and your other endeavours.

Cheers!
Will

Reaction score
Tom,

You will be missed. Every successful business is going to attract losers that try to pick it apart and question morals, etc. You run you business(s) with more dignity than almost anyone I know. You are probably similar to me where one turd's opinion negates a 1000 positive customer interactions. If I were you, I probably wouldn't read these boards either. What's the point? The more you try to defend yourself and the more these guys go against you, the more you both walk away feeling more right than before you even started.

Any way, don't let it detract from your passion for the business. You are 100 times the man who is bashing you. Best of luck to you.

Chris Mueller

Reaction score
All I know is Tom PMed me on some concerns in the past about some issues I was having about my collection and he was very polite and considerate to even to respond to my questions.

He is a gentleman and I hope you will come back to RS someday after all this blows over.

Take care Tom
smile.gif

Reaction score
I personally would like to take just a moment to clarify something’s.

One I personally have never had a bad thing to say about Tom, in fact I do believe he is a great person. I may have issues with Companies but not the person or person's involved with them.

Second, Tom has stated to me that he is not interested in returning to the RS forums, which I do personally feel is a great loss.

Third, For everyone to keep posting that Tom is a great person and showing their support for him is GrEaT!!!!

HOWEVER please try to contain your anger for situations that you are not fully aware of, as all these "names" being thrown around are doing nobody any good, and I'm 100% positive Tom doesn't care to see collectors doing so to each other. Though I do understand the reasons why.

Finally, I've been told that there are/were other circumstances that let to his decision to cut back or even stop posting here, which I am not at liberty to discuss, but it was not an up and sudden thing because of one post.

In the mean time I wish Tom Derby the best of everything, including his part in AFA & CIB.

This will be the last time I post anything about any of this issue, as I have stated before Tom & I bounced several emails with each other and have in my eyes come to an understanding, of the issues.

Thank You all for your continued support of Tom and hopefully he will feel compelled to return to the forums, when he is ready.

Sincerely,

-John

Reaction score
John_A_Graham said:
I may have issues with Companies but not the person or person's involved with them.
Maybe I'm just stupid (though I doubt it considering I'm an Ivy League graduate) but that sentence makes no sense to me.

Are you saying/writing that you feel that you can post libelous comments about Tom Derby/AFA/CCC wherever you want and the people who are involved with said companies shouldn't take offense at your comments because the only work there and/or own the companies? Do you think the people who work at these companies are unfeeling automatons?

For the life of me I can't wrap my brain around the sentence that I quoted. Whether or not you agree with the policies and/or procedures of the aforementioned companies you can't honestly think those involved are going to not be offended by your comments.

In closing, let me state, once again, that I too thought that the particular figure you chose to highlight was overgraded and you were within your "rights" to bring to the RS AFA sub-forum'' attention but don't try to fool anyone here like you were the innocent party when you were tossing out statements that the aforementioned three parties were "In bed together.".

Like one of my favorite professors always liked to say, "It is not what you say but how you say it.".

I hope Tom comes back but if not I certainly hope you are satisfied with the conclusion of your actions. Even if you weren't the sole reason for Tom leaving, as you so aledge, you certainly were the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

Good night.

Your friend, TSM-in-N.Y.

Reaction score
TSM_in_NY said:
John_A_Graham said:
I may have issues with Companies but not the person or person's involved with them.

Maybe I'm just stupid (though I doubt it considering I'm an Ivy League graduate) but that sentence makes no sense to me.
I‘m sorry all us Texas hill billy‘s can‘t write like some two bit snake in the grass lawyer-excuse me while I spit my chaw.

Are you saying/writing that you feel that you can post libelous comments about Tom Derby/AFA/CCC wherever you want and the people who are involved with said companies shouldn't take offense at your comments because the only work there and/or own the companies? Do you think the people who work at these companies are unfeeling automatons?
Sorry I never said anything against Tom.

For the life of me I can't wrap my brain around the sentence that I quoted. Whether or not you agree with the policies and/or procedures of the aforementioned companies you can't honestly think those involved are going to not be offended by your comments.
I never said or claimed they wouldn't be offended, the reason the post was titled as it was is because it has always been a controversial subject here with many members.

In closing, let me state, once again, that I too thought that the particular figure you chose to highlight was overgraded and you were within your "rights" to bring to the RS AFA sub-forum'' attention
If you care to read all the posts involved, I did not bring this topic to the AFA section, it was in fact moved here by a MOD, it was originally posted in the vintage section.

but don't try to fool anyone here like you were the innocent party when you were tossing out statements that the aforementioned three parties were "In bed together."
Where do you get the impression that I'm trying to play the innocent??? I have stated my case as to the disappointment I have from the original thread and made apologies to Tom as well as Isaac from CCC.

Like one of my favorite professors always liked to say, "It is not what you say but how you say it.".
Ah Yepppper, I've already stated that it was not the best approach to the issue.

I hope Tom comes back but if not I certainly hope you are satisfied with the conclusion of your actions. Even if you weren't the sole reason for Tom leaving, as you so aledge, you certainly were the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.
Alleged, Boy you Ivy Leaguers really know how to stretch it. So at what point was I to have Lied??? That now makes me suspect for said action????

BTW: With that Ivy League Education, I’d think you’d be able to spell allege correctly. Nice one sport.

Good night.

Your friend, TSM-in-N.Y.

Sincerely your Friend & Biggest Fan JAG-in-SA
cool.gif

-John
smile.gif

Reaction score
A good quote that I once heard and practice: "Don't argue with a dummy because from afar, no one can tell which person is which". I'm personally glad that Tom took the high road which shows character.

Bottom line is that I think a lot of people here are a little upset because this board will be less enjoyable without Tom. And, this isn't a Tom Derby lovefest, it's just common courtesy as TSM said above "it's now what was said, but how it was said".

I don't know Tom's involvement with these companies, but I do believe he is very high up there and that he founded CC. As the head of a company, when someone bashes the company, they personally bash YOU because as the leader of the company, you "take the blame" as any leader would do. When you personally hire people and personally train people, when they mess up, YOU take responsibility.

Reaction score
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
Maybe I'm just stupid

[/QUOTE]

I won't argue with you on that one!
grin.gif

(though I doubt it considering I'm an Ivy League graduate) but that sentence makes no sense to me.

[/QUOTE]

Are all baseball players (Ivy League) as well educated and modest as yourself? - Sorry couldn't resist, Ivy League sounds like a baseball league to a european scummer!

I think that rant was a bit uncalled for.

Reaction score
J3D1_KN1GHT said:
Maybe I'm just stupid

I won't argue with you on that one!
grin.gif

(though I doubt it considering I'm an Ivy League graduate) but that sentence makes no sense to me.

[/QUOTE]

Are all baseball players (Ivy League) as well educated and modest as yourself? - Sorry couldn't resist, Ivy League sounds like a baseball league to a european scummer!

[/QUOTE]

I think you got mixed up with John A Graham answering TSM's quotes
confused.gif

Anyhow is it not time to draw a line under this all now? Its a hobby for gawds sake, its not high level politics!
Lets get back to admiring each others fine collections and new acquisitions
wink.gif

Reaction score
DarthWensleydale said:
J3D1_KN1GHT said:

I think you got mixed up with John A Graham answering TSM's quotes
confused.gif

Ok, and how were my answers to TSM uncalled for??? They were not negative and to the point.
confused.gif

Please feel free to explain.
smirk.gif

I love how you guys come into a thread and make a snide remark then want to drop it.
shocked.gif

Hit and run posters!!!!
blush.gif
LOL

Thanks,

-John
smile.gif

PS: In case you can't see it, I'm having a bit of fun with you.
wink.gif

Reaction score
All I can see is lots of mixed up quotes
grin.gif

I'm just waiting for someone from Monty Python to turn up and say 'right stop this, its silly!'
tongue.gif

Reaction score
DarthWensleydale said:
All I can see is lots of mixed up quotes
grin.gif

I'm just waiting for someone from Monty Python to turn up and say 'right stop this, its silly!'
tongue.gif

Word!!!

Cheers,

-John
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.