Large collection of MOC 12-backs, ESB31/47/48, vehicles and creature all unopened

Reaction score
Hi, and thanks in advance for your advice.

Back story...

When my siblings and I were kids my parents bought us all SW, ESB, and ROTJ when they were first released. This is not the story of those toys, rather it is about all the duplicates they bought at the same time and threw in a box. These are all US/Kenner toys

I am going to sell them for my parents, but not being a SW collector, I am hoping for some targeted advice (i do collect and trade music, so i have some knowledge transfer).

Everything i have is never opened, MOC, etc. Alas no plastic cape jawa or, I think, double telescopes (I assume those are obvious).

Here is where my questions are.

1. Advice on when to grade vs. not for figures. I sold the ROTJ small figures a couple of years ago. I assumed the 12 backs should all be graded, so shipped those off to AFA today, but what about 20, 47, 48? Also have original 12" luke, han, and leia.

2. What about grading of vehicles and playsets? Is it worth it? I have a never opened sears creature cantina, darth vader tie fighter (sw), land speeder, etc.

3) weapons... I know i have the sealed rifle. Shrink wrap has shrunk and crunched the box.worth grading?

4) lastly, a couple of the unopened figures have some white powder on them. I've read online and it sounds like that may be mold or fungus. I have isolated those and am wondering what I can do. Thinking maybe putting under UVC light.

I have been educating myself as much as possible on variations so as to not do something stupid. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Here is the list of the items I have catalogued so far. Far shots for most. I included a more close up shot of the Leia and Vader 12-backs, both of which are unpunched. Most of them are in pretty good shape. Some have minor creases (1-2cm) that you can see on the back, but not on the front. The R2D2 12-back has a crushed plastic bubble that is cracked. The ESB C3PO has yellow plastic bubble.

My plan is to sell individually. Would like a venue other than eBay to avoid seller fees, but not sure there is another venue where I'd get as much as I'd get from eBay net of fees. Also worried about getting ripped off.

I still live in the States, so sending to AFA is less an issue than for those of you on the other side of the pond. I will read the threads here for more advice on shipping. You'll see in the pictures that I do have star cases.

I understand this is a large list, but would appreciate any value estimates, and recommendations on when it is worth grading something (e.g., value must be minimum $x for it to be worth it.

Small figures
Darth Vader (SW12A) unpunched - AFA 85 (B=85, F=85, C=85)
Leia (SW12A) unpunched SKU footer - AFA 85
(B=90, F=85, C=85)

Ben (SW12A) SKU footer - AFA 85 (B=85, F=85, C=80)
C3PO (SW12A) - AFA 80 (B=75, F=85, C=80)
Chewbacca (SW12A) - AFA 75 (B=75, F=85, C=80)
Death Squad Commander (SW12A) - AFA 85 (B=85, F=85, C=80)
Han Solo small head (SW12A) - AFA 80 (B=75, F=85, C=80)
Jawa (SW12C) - AFA 80 (B=80, F=90, C=80)
Luke (SW12A) - AFA 85 (B=85, F=85, C=80)
R2D2 (SW12A) - AFA 40 (B=40, F=85, C=85)
Sand People (SW12) - AFA 80 (B=85, F=85, C=80)
Stormtrooper (SW12C)
Snaggletooth (SW20F) - AFA 75 (B=75, F=80, C=80)

4-LOM (ESB-48C) unpunched - AFA 85 (B=85, F=80, C=85)
Bespin Guard (white) (ESB-31A) unpunched
C3PO (ESB-47) unpunched
*Dengar (ESB-41a) unpunched AFA 80 (80/80/85)
Imperial Stormtrooper (ESB-31A) unpunched
FX-7 (ESB-31A)
Han (hoth) (ESB-31A) unpunched
*IG-88 (ESB-32A) unpunched AFA 75 (75/85/85)
Lando (ESB-31) unpunched
Leia (bespin) (ESB-31) unpunched - AFA 85 (B=90, F=85, C=85)
*Lobot (ESB-41A) AFA80 (80/85/85)
Luke Bespin (ESB-31) unpunched - AFA 85 (B=85, F=80, C=85)
R2D2 (ESB-47) unpunched
Rebel Soldier (Hoth) (ESB-31) unpunched
*Yoda (ESB-32 b) AFA 80Y (80/80/85)
Emperor (ROTJ mail away) with box addressed to me

Large figures
Leia 12" (SW) AFA 85 (B=85, F=85, C=80)
Luke 12"(SW)AFA 85 (B=85, F=85, C=85)
Vader 15"(SW)
Chewie 15"(SW) AFA 85 (B=85, F=85, C=80)

Creatures
Patrol dewback (SW)
Taun Taun (ESB )
Wampa (ESB )

Vehicles
Darth Vader tie fighter (SW)
Landspeeder (SW) AFA 85
Tie fighter (POTF) AFA 80
X-wing (SW) AFA 75

Unpictured items (still in storage)
Sears cantina adventure set w/ tall Snaggletooth - unopened
3-position laser rifle (SW) sealed, but shrink wrap has crunched the box down a bit
*Laser pistol (MISB, with a couple of tears in shrink)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Here is the last bits of the collection. everything is unopened except the early bird display stand. I don't have any of the early bird figures.

Large figures
12" Vader (SW)
12" Chewie (SW)

Vehicles
X-Wing (SW)
Tie-Fighter (SW)
Speeder Bike (ROTJ)

Weapons

3-position laser rifle (SW)
Laser pistol(SW)

Playsets
Early bird display stand (only, and thrashed)
Sears Cantina

Reaction score
Amazing collection!!!!!!

Hello first off what and amazing collection!
i would love to buy it all from you or help you sell it as I would grade most of it first then sell it.

I would bE willing to pay you Ebay prices for all of it as it sits and fly out and pick it up?

I can grade all of it and sell it for you as well I charge 15-20% broker fee depending on the value of each item.

jjacob5140@aol.com

email me either way I could give you a estimate as well.

thanks Jeff

Reaction score
Sorry for those who I took a while to reply. Very busy these days (newborn and a 2-year old), also trying to get everything boxed and shipped to AFA. Already sent most of the 12-backs, about to send the large figures. Will send the vehicles and the cantina soon, once I find the right boxes for double boxing. I will post here once I start getting grades back.

One thing about which I am still not clear yet is whether ALL items should be graded. For example, are the 31/47/48 backs going to get the return back to warrant grading and shipping 2x?

I will check back in when I can. Cannot promise same day replies, but will try to reply within a few days (not counting holidays). I don't plan to sell anything without checking in here first.

BTW, I'd assumed I'd be notified when someone replies to this thread, but that didn't appear to be the case. i just figured out how to subscribe, so I will know when to check back in

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is a valuation thread and it would be great if people would give him the valuations and advice he asked for rather than just private offers to buy the collection at no doubt significantly lower price than they are worth. Especially since most of the people would be selling these for their own profit rather than adding to their own personal collection.

Firstly, I'd say that they are in really nice condition - clean cards, clear bubbles and unpunched and if you AFA grade them and sell them on eBay you should realise maximum value even with the 10% eBay and 3-4% paypal fees considered. eBay lets you search completed and sold listings for values - just ignore the dodgy 12 backs being sold from Spain which are repro/custom rubbish. Since you will be selling these graded and they look to be decent condition you can try searching for "Vintage Star Wars 12 back AFA"

Some prices pulled from eBay for guidance:
Vader 12 a back unpunched AFA80 $2450
Luke 12 a back punched AFA80 $2,550 / $2,400
Han (small head) 12 a back AFA85 $4,500
Leia 12 a back AFA80 $3,300

If you grade them, take some nice clear pictures and describe them clearly you're going to get top $ for 12 a backs in that condition and unless you are really super busy and wealthy it would be beneficial to sell these yourself separately rather than to someone else in bulk whose just going to make the profit you should be making. Buy yourself some shipping boxes, rolls of tape, bubble wrap, packing peanuts and its going to be worth your time.

As for the frosting on a couple of figures. Don't be put off by that. Just put them out in the sunlight for a very short period of time and that should take care of it. Careful how long though because too much will turn those lovely clear bubbles.

Here's some further reading on that. http://forum.rebelscum.com/t930953/

If you want to know whether it's worth your money to get your other figures graded. Well if they are in as nice condition as your 12 backs with clean cards and nice bubbles then i would say definitely yes. You will more than make your money back on the price of the grading.

Good luck with the sales and i hope you make your parents a nice amount of money on these.

Reaction score
You can't price that sears cantina set by looking at ebay. Unopened examples of those are rare and hard to price, and there aren't any in ebay's history. If it were mine, I'd look in to having it authenticated. AFA should be able to do so without opening it, but you can specify to them NOT to open it if they feel they have to. (They might not authenticate it though.)

Reaction score
Thanks, Gonk. I definitely will have it authenticated. I did find one historical one on ebay that supposedly went for $5500 or so in 2014

Star Wars Vintage Kenner Cantina Adventure Set MISB AFA 80

You can't price that sears cantina set by looking at ebay. Unopened examples of those are rare and hard to price, and there aren't any in ebay's history. If it were mine, I'd look in to having it authenticated. AFA should be able to do so without opening it, but you can specify to them NOT to open it if they feel they have to. (They might not authenticate it though.)

Reaction score
Just a few thoughts for the original poster...

I would grade it all. So long as its still MISB, do it, regardless of condition, people want AFA and they will snatch it up faster with AFA on it.

Grade everything thats still on the card, even yellow bubbles. Again, people want stuff even if its yellow, they want the AFA label.

Even if you get a Q grade, you will still command stop dollar and the public will snatch it up.

Again, grade everything. I say this because you are saying you are doing this for your parents, so they will be getting the proceeds and grading them will give you max return money on the sales. As example, if you can snag some high grades on the X wing fighter and TIE fighters,,, you are looking at many thousands in dollars alone on just those handful of pieces.

Some stuff isnt going to go very high, such as your Speeder Bike and the tauntaun, prices have been rather depressed for tauntauns, I am assuming they stink really bad no one wants them. lol just kidding. but no, they will both sell it is just that those are not some of the premium pieces in the market.

Thank you for coming here and asking for advice, this is the best place on the Internet to get help on your collection in regards to star wars collecting. You might want to research prices on ebay and then list here and deal with the community directly, at least keep it in mind.

BTW, I forgot to mention, besides ebay, use the search function found in this forum to find prices on these items, you can plot historical prices by using the great source of information found here and it will help you find prices or an idea of a fair market price on items that you wont find on ebay. Remember, RebelScum forums are a GOLD mine of info.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi all,

I added a few more items I found in storage. They are marked with an asterisk above in my original post, but they include

15" MISB Vader and Chewie
MISB Laser Pistol
X-wing (SW)

There are also four figures from the first time I tried to do this for my parents. I sent four figures away to be graded, but lost steam on following through. They are
Dengar (ESB-41a) unpunched AFA 80 (80/80/85)
IG-88 (ESB-32A) unpunched AFA 75 (75/85/85)
Lobot (ESB-41A) AFA80 (80/85/85)
Yoda (ESB-32B) AFA 80Y (80/80/85)

Using the condition of these as reference points, I'm feeling pretty good that most things will score AFA 80 or better. (fingers crossed)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I got more graded figures back (bolded in my original post). for the most part things are pretty good. The blister for R2D2 had multiple cracks and really hosed its score. :(

Bodes well for the rest of the items when I mail them in.

The large figures are all in AFAs hands now, so I should get those back later in the month

Reaction score
Wow!! Awesome grades.

12As have much greater demand than the 12Bs and Cs

Here's my crack at the 12 back valuations if you were to sell on rebelscum or on a highly regarded facebook group

Vader 12 A 85 85/85/85 $4000
Leia 12 A 85 85/90/85 $3000
Ben 12 A 85 80/85/85 $2500 - $3000
3po 12 A 80 85/75/80 $1200
Han 12 A 80 85/75/80 $2000 - $2500 depending on what the bubble looks like

Jawa 12 C 80 80/80/90 $1200
R2 12C 40 85/40/85 $500 ? might be risky to mail to someone depending on how the bubble is damaged and where. Could R2 break free if jostled in transit?
Sandpeople 12 which version back is it? 80 80/85/85 $1500

The Luke 12 back could also go for a lot of money if it grades as high as the vader!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Did any of the 12 As have the "SKU on footer" variant? if so that's worth even more
Both Ben & Leia have the SKU on footer, aaccording to what AFA emailed me. I wasn't aware of this variation when I shipped the figures off to them. I will verify they didn't miss any when I receive the package. Luke, Chewie, DSQ, and Stormtrooper, which I've not yet sent in, do not have the SKU.

The only other variations they mention is the Jawa as "Square Bubble/Inner Tray" and Han as "Small head". For these two, I think these are standard for figures with their particular card backs.

Oh, and...

Sand People is 12-B
For R2, I don't think there was any risk of R2 breaking free.. AFA recommended a $25 "blister support" be added to the case. I went ahead and added it. Not sure if that will help.

I'll start adding photos to my gallery as I start taking them.

Reaction score
I got more graded figures back (bolded in my original post). for the most part things are pretty good. The blister for R2D2 had multiple cracks and really hosed its score. :(

Bodes well for the rest of the items when I mail them in.

The large figures are all in AFAs hands now, so I should get those back later in the month
Just wanted to congratulate you on the high scores... great job. You will command top dollar and glad to see again, that you chose to get them graded via AFA.

As a reminder again, if you would consider putting these first on RebelScum as a way saying "thank you" to the great folks here on the forum who have pitched in with prices such as Mr Porkinsred6 that would be great. I am certain collectors would step forward to purchase these from you.

Reaction score
This is a valuation thread and it would be great if people would give him the valuations and advice he asked for rather than just private offers to buy the collection at no doubt significantly lower price than they are worth. Especially since most of the people would be selling these for their own profit rather than adding to their own personal collection.
Oli and I don't always agree, but he nailed it. Several of the responses in this thread looked like this to me:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Oli and I don't always agree, but he nailed it. Several of the responses in this thread looked like this to me:

You are so right...like dangling a big bag of crack in front of a bunch of crack addicts. The truth is the best bet for him to get the most amount for his family/etc is to put them on E-bay anyone that gives any advice other than that is just looking out for themselves although really, can't blame'em...LOL...

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'll admit to being one of those sharks, but I'd would have paid very fair (prior to grading) prices. Happy for the owner though, some very nice grades. Best of luck selling your piece. Great time to be lookig to find these new homes.

Reaction score
You are so right...like dangling a big bag of crack in front of a bunch of crack addicts. The truth is the best bet for him to get the most amount for his family/etc is to put them on E-bay anyone that gives any advice other than that is just looking out for themselves although really, can't blame'em...LOL...
I agree ebay is the best option. Not FB and not on here. They will go to the highest bidder and most of the time there are not games to be had. Grade and put them up. Spam all the pages that they are going up for sale and go from there. Good luck and keep us posted on your grades.

Reaction score
Thanks again for all the advice. I've tried taking pictures, but realized I need a light box to take photos without glare. The figures do look damn good in the acrylic boxes. For a second I thought maybe I could become a collector, but realized even with a family discount these are beyond my budget. I have uploaded a few pictures to my gallery, will post them here, too. Will need to wait for the lightbox before I take more than these first 3.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks again for all the advice. I've tried taking pictures, but realized I need a light box to take photos without glare. The figures do look damn good in the acrylic boxes. For a second I thought maybe I could become a collector, but realized even with a family discount these are beyond my budget. I have uploaded a few pictures to my gallery, will post them here, too. Will need to wait for the lightbox before I take more than these first 3.

Yes they always do, and I dunno but to me, my opinion is having the AFA grade on them gives them that final sparkle in the case. Congrats on getting them graded and I hope you get top dollar. I also agree, put them on ebay but you could also put them on here first also, using ebay as your guide.

Happy sales!

Reaction score

Those look great. If you are up for selling the Jawa will you PM me?

Reaction score
My first attempts at pictures using a light tent. I think they turned out pretty well. More coming soon.

Reaction score
Nice pictures - they really show how beautiful those carded figures are. Just a tip but try a large piece of curved white card for the background if you can.

Hope you get top $ on these for your parents! :)

Reaction score
My first attempts at pictures using a light tent. I think they turned out pretty well. More coming soon.

I am very happy for you and how they are turning out, glad you went with AFA. They look great AND you will get top dollar with the AFA grading and there will be no question about who wants these.

The only thing I suggest is, again, as a "thank you" to the community, if you would post first here on the classifieds, I am sure the members here will snatch these up and yes, use eBay as well. I have no horse in this race I am only suggesting this seeing that community here was very helpful and came to help out.

best wishes on your sales:)