Lando Calrissian & Kessel Guard 2pack

GNT

Reaction score
Yakface have posted links to images of new Han Solo movie figures - Lando Calrissian and Kessel Guard 2 Pack.

Any thoughts on this set?

Reaction score
I thought it looked pretty interesting. We get a completely different outfit for Lando, and a brand new character.

I think part of the problem with the Last Jedi line, was too many of the figures were too similar to the figures from Force Awakens.

Reaction score
I like Lando's outfit and I like the funky design of the alien. So far, so good.

Reaction score
The helmet on the card art reminds me a LOT of the “Clone Warrior” concept from Kenner’s “Star Wars is forever” post-1985 toylike pitch. Looks quirky...I dig it.

Reaction score
Garish Lando...very well done. Kessel guard is pretty cool. I like the build a weapon, reminds me of the Hoth cannon.

Reaction score
The helmet on the card art reminds me a LOT of the “Clone Warrior” concept from Kenner’s “Star Wars is forever” post-1985 toylike pitch. Looks quirky...I dig it.
*snaps fingers* THAT, yes! I knew it looked familiar. Good call.

Reaction score
Isn't the piece that seems to fit between mandibles of the Falcons from the Epic Continues pitch too?

Reaction score
Isn't the piece that seems to fit between mandibles of the Falcons from the Epic Continues pitch too?
Jeeze I butchered that post. We really need to be able to edit our posts...

Reaction score
Oh, yeah - definitely. I’m seeing at least a bit of resemblance between the droid in one of tonight’s leaked photos too (over at makingstarwars) and the “Blue Four” Droid in Kenner’s presentation too...

Reaction score
Oh, yeah - definitely. I’m seeing at least a bit of resemblance between the droid in one of tonight’s leaked photos too (over at makingstarwars) and the “Blue Four” Droid in Kenner’s presentation too...
Now I’m butchering posts TOO........too.

Reaction score
Anybody got a link to this pic? I see a shot of a bunch of figures and a couple of vehicles, but it's really small. No such two-pack shown, though.

Reaction score
Yeah, I did see that. I think we need a better pic, because from that it's hard to tell if they are actually cartoonish in appearance or if it's just a bad shot.

Reaction score
Yeah, I did see that. I think we need a better pic, because from that it's hard to tell if they are actually cartoonish in appearance or if it's just a bad shot.
the upskirt angle isn't good at all. Eager for a better pic.

Reaction score
Presumably we're going to see this at the New York Toy Fair in a week or two, right?
Most likely. Since they were on display at Nuremberg, they should be up at NYTF. I definitely want to see what troopers will be getting single carded treatment and a closer look at that new villain and speeder bike.

Reaction score
Perhaps eager and upskirt shouldn't have been used so close together?

I really hope Lando and Han are coming in the SA line! I'm done buying 5POA to convert to SA, it's just too much to deal with. Plus it sends te wrong message to Hasbro.

Reaction score
Perhaps eager and upskirt shouldn't have been used so close together?

I really hope Lando and Han are coming in the SA line! I'm done buying 5POA to convert to SA, it's just too much to deal with. Plus it sends te wrong message to Hasbro.
Damn straight, MF. I've only come off the sidelines for 5POA in the event of key characters, meaning OT generation. with the exception of "Here's your lightsaber. The little orange lady didn't have the hand" Rey.

Reaction score
The Lando is lame but the Kessel Guard had potential since it came with a heavy cannon. I bought two BS Starkiller Base Han Solo's at $4.00 a piece to use the arms on the Kessel Guard.

Reaction score
I picked up 3 of this set as I want to build up the Kessel Guards a bit... if anyone wants an Lando figure PM me and we can work something out like a trade.

Reaction score
I picked up this set at Target. I can't help but think of Andre 2000 singing Hey Ya when I look at Lando, odd looking figure. I like the Kessel Guard and cannon though. Very similar to the ESB Radar Laser Cannon mini rig.

Reaction score
Nice looking set - this is one of the few Han Solo SW figure sets I'll be picking up; the Lando looks solid, and the Kessel Guard looks fantastic - very cool armor/costume. Also like the inclusion of the cool little laser cannon. You're right, this reminds me of the Laser Cannon that the Snowtroopers almost used against the Falcon in ESB (also made as a toy in the original Vintage Kenner SW line, and also included in a newer Hoth set from 200X).

I've avoided spoilers for the new film (so far), but it seems obvious that "Kessel" is probably the same planet/area that C3-PO is referring to re: the "Spice Mines of Kessel" from ANH. I also remember that these "Spice Mines" were included in a storyline in one of the Jedi Academy SW EU novels from the '90's, by Kevin J. Anderson. However, I know those books aren't "canon" anymore.

Reaction score
I have 3 of these sets (Basically for the Guard.) the Lando is cool but I'm not getting a Billy Dee Williams vibe from him yet. hopefully this will change after seeing the movie.

Reaction score
You're right, this younger actor doesn't look much like a young BDW; but then, the actor playing Han Solo doesn't remind me of a young Harrison Ford either. However, despite this I'll try to judge the movie on it's own merits. It does look decent (based on the trailers), and it looks like it will have some nice Easter Eggs/homages to the OT; or, at least references made in the OT.

Reaction score
I've avoided spoilers for the new film (so far), but it seems obvious that "Kessel" is probably the same planet/area that C3-PO is referring to re: the "Spice Mines of Kessel" from ANH. I also remember that these "Spice Mines" were included in a storyline in one of the Jedi Academy SW EU novels from the '90's, by Kevin J. Anderson. However, I know those books aren't "canon" anymore.
I assumed Kessel guard referred to the Kessel Run that the Falcon made in less than 12 parsecs. But now reading this, I just realized that the run shares the same name with the spice mines. I've never picked up on that before.

I bought this set today too, mainly for the young Lando. My second Solo figure pick up along with Qi'ra.

Reaction score
Was in Wal-Mart this morning and saw this line for the first time on the shelves. Looks like this set might not be selling fast, along with Kira (sp), Chewie, and the obvious repacks. Definitely will be wanting this set, but I'm probably going to wait until money isn't so tight and see if I can pick them all up in one shot on hts.

Reaction score
Seems like the outfit is kinda modeled on Chimwe's oddly, minus the butcher's apron and weird blocky helmet. I do get some Mustafar Lava Miner feels along with some old Kenner EU designs, but its not a set that is particularly cool and will struggle. The heavy guns are good for dios though. 5poa really is hurting Star Wars figures.

Reaction score
Seems like the outfit is kinda modeled on Chimwe's oddly, minus the butcher's apron and weird blocky helmet. I do get some Mustafar Lava Miner feels along with some old Kenner EU designs, but its not a set that is particularly cool and will struggle. The heavy guns are good for dios though. 5poa really is hurting Star Wars figures.
Not sure how this will sell, but I personally really like this set & feel it definitely stands out among the other SW toys that are out there now. Even though I'm not collecting most of the Han Solo toys, I did get this due to the cool visual appearance of these two characters, and the addition of the cool laser gun.

Reaction score
I like this set for a couple of things. Unfortunately, Lando is not one of them. I think he deserves a single carded release. The likeness is okay, but the figure seems a little lackluster. I think Lando deserves better. And hopefully there's going to be a SOLO version of Lando released in the TVC line.

But what is good about this set? First, the Kessel Guard. Definitely an interesting design, and I'm looking forward to seeing this character in the movie. The lack of articulation is a disappointment, but it is what it is after this many years of Hasbro doing the 5POA thing with figures.

Second, the cannon accessory. I think it's fair to say that over the past 3 years collectors have been reasonably vocal when it comes to the value added pack-in accessories. I got the concept behind them for the TFA line, but the finished product was awful for the most part. In the ROGUE ONE line we got oversize firing weapons. Again, not something cool. They seemed to completely avoid the concept in the TLJ line except for the figure 2-packs, but those were kind of lame, too. But here? This cannon looks like a practical accessory, a lot like some of the E-web cannons that we got going as far back as the POTF2 line. The same goes for the accessory that's packed in the upcoming 2-pack with the muddy version of Han Solo.

Reaction score
I like this set for a couple of things. Unfortunately, Lando is not one of them. I think he deserves a single carded release. The likeness is okay, but the figure seems a little lackluster. I think Lando deserves better. And hopefully there's going to be a SOLO version of Lando released in the TVC line.

But what is good about this set? First, the Kessel Guard. Definitely an interesting design, and I'm looking forward to seeing this character in the movie. The lack of articulation is a disappointment, but it is what it is after this many years of Hasbro doing the 5POA thing with figures.

Second, the cannon accessory. I think it's fair to say that over the past 3 years collectors have been reasonably vocal when it comes to the value added pack-in accessories. I got the concept behind them for the TFA line, but the finished product was awful for the most part. In the ROGUE ONE line we got oversize firing weapons. Again, not something cool. They seemed to completely avoid the concept in the TLJ line except for the figure 2-packs, but those were kind of lame, too. But here? This cannon looks like a practical accessory, a lot like some of the E-web cannons that we got going as far back as the POTF2 line. The same goes for the accessory that's packed in the upcoming 2-pack with the muddy version of Han Solo.
First, I have to respectfully disagree about the Lando with this two-pack. It's a decent figure, and they can't improve it too much since it's 5POA; i.e., even if the figure were available on an individual card in this line, I don't see that it would be that much better. I really like two-packs like this because you're getting a great value with these, especially if - as in this case - neither figure has been released on an individual card. These bring to mind those great comic book two-packs that Hasbro released back in the 200X's (I with that line would get resurrected, but that's a different topic).

Going along with this, these two-packs provide an opportunity to release figures that wouldn't have been necessarily released on a card - or, at least not released right away. I.e., if this two-pack had not been released I suspect we would have gotten Lando on an individual card instead - but the superior Kessel guard figure may not have come out in this wave, if at all.

I do completely agree about the laser cannon; not sure if it's featured in the film, but in any case it's a great toy - very functional, and brings to mind the Laser cannon from the POTF2 & Vintage line (seen in the ESB Hoth scene when the Falcon was escaping).

Reaction score
First, I have to respectfully disagree about the Lando with this two-pack. It's a decent figure, and they can't improve it too much since it's 5POA; i.e., even if the figure were available on an individual card in this line, I don't see that it would be that much better. I really like two-packs like this because you're getting a great value with these, especially if - as in this case - neither figure has been released on an individual card. These bring to mind those great comic book two-packs that Hasbro released back in the 200X's (I with that line would get resurrected, but that's a different topic).
One criticism that I have of the figure is the grade of plastic. Granted, I am aware that production facilities have been shifted to Vietnam from China in an effort to cut costs. But the grade of plastic is soft, and the hands are not very good at holding weapons. I've come across this with Lando, Maz Kanata, Chewbacca and Enfys Nest. It's just one of several criticisms I have of the 3.75" 5POA figures so far.

Reaction score
One criticism that I have of the figure is the grade of plastic. Granted, I am aware that production facilities have been shifted to Vietnam from China in an effort to cut costs. But the grade of plastic is soft, and the hands are not very good at holding weapons. I've come across this with Lando, Maz Kanata, Chewbacca and Enfys Nest. It's just one of several criticisms I have of the 3.75" 5POA figures so far.
Good point - I haven't opened these figures yet, so can't speak to this issue with the softer plastic. However, if the problem is across the aboard & is affecting both carded figures in the line (Chewbacca, Maz Kanata) as well as figures that come in sets (Enfys Nest, Lando) then even if Lando had come individually carded, the soft plastic may still have been an issue.

Reaction score
I will be waiting for the SA version, surely there is one coming.
While I'd also like an SA version of his pack-mate, I doubt that is gonna happen. We're probably lucky enough as it is to get SA Empty Nest!

Reaction score
Haven't had any plastic quality issues but this figure deserves better legs with a slightly wider stance and flatter feet for stability, lol. Still, I really dig it.

Reaction score
I need this one badly. Unfortunately there are not in any of the shops in Poland so far. Nothing from Solo at all. Well, the Lego is here, but nothing more. I hope that is some minor problem, and those figures will come here eventually. I will be ruined to order everything from eBay, cause the shipping prices to Poland are insane, often shipping of one figure cost more than three figures in the shop.

Reaction score
Its interesting that some have mentioned the legs / stance - I feel that's one of the positive points of the figure. I think its one of the most retro looking figures as of late. When I opened it, I was pleasantly surprised with both sculpts. I wish Hasbro did the same thing with the basic Han, packing it with an alien that might not otherwise be released.