Lando Calrissian In Smuggler Outfit - #39

Reaction score
Re: Lando Calrissian - Wave 6

found this figure today, but I passed. The figure's not bad, but in an outfit that had ten seconds of screentime... I hope we get a regular Lando update soon. By 2010 at the latest, for the Empire Strikes back TAC.

Reaction score

Why even bother making this figure? Another peg warmer we can look forward to. Will Hasbro ever learn?

Reaction score

I don't understand why people don't like this. I got this for my 4-year old son, and he loves it. It's really pretty well articulated, except for the swivel elbows. And now when my son is playing with Han and the Falcon, he can have Han buddy up with Lando on their "missions".

Reaction score

Darth_RZA said:
Why even bother making this figure? Another peg warmer we can look forward to. Will Hasbro ever learn?
Calrissian fans have been waiting for this version of him to get a figure for a loooong, long time. Including myself, yeah. Truly regardless of whether it sells really well or not, and regardless if it's "perfect" or not, it's another figure that Hasbro's done finally so some people can scratch it off our wishlists. It's good for SOTE timeframe adventures too.

Reaction score

AmanaMatt said:

Here is an example of a paint job on the head done right and wrong. What the heck happened to the paint job on Smuggler Lando?

Look at the back of the card, then compare to what you get. It should say: Warning! Actual products may be fuglier than originally planned.

Some of you still feel the Vintage line had no difference in quality?
Yeah, nice eyes.

"there is no Dana, only Zoooool.."

Reaction score

At least the smuggler Lando looks more like Billy Dee. The vintage lando looks more hispanic or even Phillipino. And the eyes on my Lando look just fine.

Reaction score

This figure is pretty pathetic, hopefully its the last Lando Hasbro makes.

Reaction score

padmesghost said:

Well we don't want it to be the last one, just want Hasbro to make a better one that actually looks good. I agree though that this fig is pretty pathetic.

Reaction score

padmesghost said:
Not sure why everyone is down on this figure. Mine looks great, it fills a gap, and is a most welcome addition. There are more variants to do too - we need a proper nuetrally posed, well articulated General Lando, and then an Ewok celebration Lando.

So no, I hope it's not the last...

It's a decent figure of a main character in a costume that's not been done before, what's not to like?

'78

Reaction score

I really thought that the point of being a smuggler, a good one, is not to be recognized by the authorities...
So having a guy walking around in The Smuggler Outfit is a little bit... mmmhh... obvious...
But there again, it is Science Fiction after all, right?

Reaction score

wasn't there a early carded pic of lando in a different pose in the packaging? As i recall, it was dubbed "Disco Lando" or something to that effect.

edit- came across the picture i had in mind at potf2.com. there was a loose "dancing posed lando in front of a carded lando on display at CE (maybe) and I was thinking the pic showed "disco" or "dancing" lando inside the package. "disco lando" pose may have made the figure look a bit more interesting on the pegs. Despite being a cool figure, he looks kinda bland- accessory wise as compared to torture Han- like last years chief chirpa or r5-d4, i feel kinda cheated w/ Lando. Maybe he could've came with Millenium Falcon console or something.

Reaction score

Everytime I see Lando in this outfit, I think about how he must have broken into Han's closet. "Oh well, my 'buddy' is certainly not coming back.. Might as well take a shirt or two. And his vest. And the Falcon back. hm.. now how about that Leia.."

But yeah.. Aren't the figures done for photos, cards and displays hand painted? I doubt you could get that kind of quality from mass production. It's kind of hard to stomach, being a carded collector.. But at least I'm also a customizer so I can fix botched paint jobs for figures I really like and want to display.

GNT

Reaction score
MyenShi said:
Everytime I see Lando in this outfit, I think about how he must have broken into Han's closet. "Oh well, my 'buddy' is certainly not coming back.. Might as well take a shirt or two. And his vest. And the Falcon back. hm.. now how about that Leia.."
It didnt take him long in the film

Reaction score
I saw this figure warming the shelf in droves at Toys R Us. I was shocked, shocked I say! Gee, who woulda thunk it!

Reaction score
I have a soft spot for this figure. If only because thanks to it, I was able to 'update' the one custom figure I made as a goof back in college.

Now I have a super-articulated Lando in Stormtrooper Disguise. Which is either really sweet or pretty stupid. Who knows which...

Reaction score
Picked this up today. Wasn't very happy about it. I just wanted the coin. Still, he's the first Lando fig I've ever bought.

Reaction score
This fig wasn't at all impressive. Needed it for the coin to, but if it wasn't for the coin....I never would have bought it.

Reaction score
I've been waiting for Hasbro to make this figure for 10 years. Although I'm disappointed in the teeth, besides that, it seems like a perfectly decent figure.

I'd love to switch heads, but then the color of his face wouldn't match the color of his hands.

Reaction score
Thrawn2006 said:
I've been waiting for Hasbro to make this figure for 10 years. Although I'm disappointed in the teeth, besides that, it seems like a perfectly decent figure.

I'd love to switch heads, but then the color of his face wouldn't match the color of his hands.
Who's head would you switch it with? Ole "Migel's" from the vintage Lando? For the life of me, I don't know why that Latino guy's face is on Lando's body.

Reaction score
I'd take a POTF2 head over this...and possibly will. First I'll look at POTJ compatibility, if that doesn't work hopefully the POTF2 head will. True it had softer details but sometimes less is more. And billy dee was done much better justice in more primitive toymaking times.

Reaction score
Devo said:
I'd take a POTF2 head over this...and possibly will. First I'll look at POTJ compatibility, if that doesn't work hopefully the POTF2 head will. True it had softer details but sometimes less is more. And billy dee was done much better justice in more primitive toymaking times.
Yup, agreed, and I can say the same for Han Solo too. Sorry, Hasbro, but the current likeness of the Corellian is bad, ugly bad. I can honestly say I much prefer the head sculpts of the POTJ Bespin Lando and Han figures than the VOTC-current versions. The recent figures of both have horrid skin skins too.

I'm kicking around doing head transplants from said 2000/2001 versions now. I'd considered it before but I think it's gonna bug me enough that I have to in light of this reflection or it's going to just gnaw at me.

Less is more indeed, both of them are a testament to it IMO.

Reaction score
I happen to agree about Han aswell if you're referring to the likes of the VTSC endor figure, itself a scaled down replica of the VOTC head. I haven't seen many other people criticise that headsculpt but it doesn't do anything for me - mainly because I'm opposed to ball-jointed heads on helmetless human figures and the negative effects those can and do have on the appearance of the sculpt. VOTC Han looks bad from one side and the hair is too short. Also, though not a direct consequence of the ball-jointing, his neck leans forward.

The endor Han head is tiny in relation to the body and also in relation to the heads of other figures and its the wrong hairstyle for a ROTJ han. That figure was a severe let-down - far too much recycling for the price you pay.

For Han I prefer the POTF2 and commtech headsculpts. POTF2 captured something about Harrison ford in the face sculpt - commtech less so but at least that version and POTF2 aren't blighted with balljointing and the associated problems.

Decent headsculpts are so important to me that I will even sacrifice all head mobility in order to have a good head on a figure - I can't customise for s**t and ball-jointing now makes headswaps next to impossible unless its with another balljointed head with the same size socket. However since I generally prefer to rid my figures of ball-jointed heads thats never a desireable option. So typically I have to saw off the neck stumps from the bodies and glue my preferred headsculpt on. And I think its a sad state of affairs, if I may use such dramatic terms, when I'm having to refer back to figures from 1995 in order to get the best parts.

Reaction score
I like this figure only thing it is missing is a bottle of malt liquor lol
next to the lando skiff guard disguise figure which is my fave lando this version is a close second

Reaction score
This figure is a tad boring but I love how he looks. Uber [censored]. He's like the Rudy Ray Moore of action figures.

Reaction score
Theres only one decent Lando figure out there and thats the Lando Skiff Guard (SAGA/OTC), they complete screwed the pooch on making Bespin Lando (they should have made him like VOTC Han Solo and Luke Skywalker for articulation) and Smuggler Lando (hell they didnt even have the ball to drop on this one).

Lando General for the most part is fairly decent give him SA and Ball Jointed Head and you would have winner.

Reaction score
This figure was a long time coming, its a shame that its faults are ruining it for a lot of people.

Reaction score
Got this tonight i was looking him over and then burst out laughing when i saw the coin.. my brother was like,.. whats so funny? So i hand it to him and tell him to look at the coin.

Wooooo thats funny there... looks nothing like him..looks like a garbage pail kid or brian peppers..

but i love the figure no hate from me!

Reaction score
Finally opened mine and he's a nice figure, except for one thing: his elbows. Unlike some people I don't mind swivel elbows, as long as they're cut to allow their arms to straighten out. Poor Lando can't straighten his arms! They're eternally bent at the elbow or sticking out to the sides, like Veers before him. Oh well. Still a nice figure all-around, and I'm happy I got him.

Reaction score
I like this figure and have waited for this version to be made. I like it better than the bespin outfit we first see him in. I am okay with the swivel elbows. The only thing that would make this figure better is improving the stance when he is standing up. The left leg has an odd shape to it although I have allowed myself to"pretend" that he is wearing his super cool bell bottoms.

Reaction score
Devo said:
I'd take a POTF2 head over this...and possibly will. First I'll look at POTJ compatibility, if that doesn't work hopefully the POTF2 head will. True it had softer details but sometimes less is more.
Devo said:
For Han I prefer the POTF2 and commtech headsculpts. POTF2 captured something about Harrison ford in the face sculpt - commtech less so but at least that version and POTF2 aren't blighted with balljointing and the associated problems.
Since my thoughts mirrored both of youse guys' and I said as much, I finally got around to making good on it. And I'm happy with the results.

Reaction score
RebelTrooper1138 said:
Wookiee_inked, why is Lando wearing a cape?
Oh sorry, I forgot to put the link for the customs post too, where further explanations on both figures can be found.

Short answer: The cape was inspired by the look he was sporting in the Shadows of the Empire comic book (the Barabel fight issue).

Longer answer: click the link.

Reaction score
Just wondering, has anyone tried slide the holster off of this Lando? I've taken a close look at it, and it appears to be attached under the left side of Lando's torso - there's a groove in there where it seems to be lodged. It would be awesome if his holster could slide off and be used by other figures, but I'm wary of doing so because I'm afraid that once I dislodge it, it won't stay attached.

Has anyone else tried this? If so, what was the result, and does the holster stay when you put it back?

Reaction score
I saw this fig at Target last week but decided not to buy him -- instead I bought a Biggs UGH, FC Biker Scout, and Miiyoom Onith. But next time I see him I think I'll pick him up because I haven't bought a Lando in....YEARS! The last lando I got was the general versio w/cape. Thing is, I don't know what Hasbro is thinking before they release these figs. Some turn out terrific, but look at the elbows on this one! And his proportion just looks demented.