Lando Calrissian In Smuggler Outfit - #39

Reaction score
been reading the forums for a long time now, never signed up to post until now... the new waves announced are truly incredible!
What are the chances that the new lando is in the smuggler outfit from the end of empire?

Reaction score
Lando Calrissian - Wave 6:

Pretty good. This is the only option if this wave strictly features non-Cloud City versions of characters as some have interpreted.

GNT

Reaction score
Re: Lando Calrissian - Wave 6

Fingers crossed for the smuggler outfit Lando.

Reaction score
Re: TAC Lando wave 6

darthjaybay said:
been reading the forums for a long time now, never signed up to post until now... the new waves announced are truly incredible!
What are the chances that the new lando is in the smuggler outfit from the end of empire?
Welcome to the forums.

I'm guessing it will be Lando as seen in the pic Inigo posted.
If not, he'll have to be regular Lando, and I don't think he will be for 2 reasons...
1 Hasbro said no Cloud City figures this year.
2 VOTC Lando, the most likely choice of figure to be used, was notorious for pegwarming... Hasbro should be AFRAID to release him. (He's not bad, he is in fact a great figure, just nobody wanted him for $10 is my guess...)

People have been asking for "smuggler Lando" for years and years now. Much like CZ-3, I think this maybe be his lucky year.

Reaction score

Is it assumed that smuggler Lando has the same pants as ANH Han? Or is Hasbro given free reign to design the lower half of this figure (similar to everything below the neck on Hem Dazon)?

Reaction score

LunchBox said:
Is it assumed that smuggler Lando has the same pants as ANH Han? Or is Hasbro given free reign to design the lower half of this figure (similar to everything below the neck on Hem Dazon)?
I always assumed he was wearing hot pink bell botoms.

Even though it would seemingly defy wave-logic, it is entirely possible that this is not the Lando Hasbro has in store. They could spring the ROTJ general on us or something.

Reaction score

Now that would just be awesome if it's him in the smuggler outfit. Hmmmmm....

Reaction score

I've been looking forward to a Lando Smuggler figure for years. Interesting Q on the pants -- if you want to get all EU about it, he shouldn't be wearing Han-style pants, since the bloodstripe is a military honor. (I know, I'm such a geek.)

I also have to admit that I fully expect Lando Smuggler to pegwarm up a storm.

Reaction score

In my area, Hasbro has done well to limit peg warming. Lushros and Rieekan weren't fast movers by any stretch, but they didn't spend months or even more than a year on the pegs like past duds. Hopefully this trend will continue for TAC.

Reaction score

CaptainJack said:
Even though it would seemingly defy wave-logic, it is entirely possible that this is not the Lando Hasbro has in store. They could spring the ROTJ general on us or something.
That is quite true. I can't speak for anybody else, but I would be SO PISSED if something like that happened.

Reaction score

is there a better picture from that scene because i dont remember just off hand but that just looks like lando in han clothes which is kind of boring.

Reaction score

That's why I brought up the point about the legs. Aside for the fact that the shirt is buttoned all the way to the top, there is little more than a head swap if the entire costume is the same. But if this figure came with cargo pants or something, it could be kinda cool.

Reaction score

Well I dont think Hasbro really takes boring outfits into account, look at the new biggs. Dont get me wrong, VERY happy to see him being released and I will definitely pick one up, but really not an exciting outfit there!

j3h

Reaction score

LunchBox said:
Who said he is even wearing pants?

Just look at that expression from Chewie in the posted picture above

Reaction score

I would guess there's an extra motivation for this figure - if in fact it's the "smuggler" Lando - I love how that name stuck...

Anyway...

The pants can be pretty much whatever they want, whether Han style pants (perhaps painted a different color) or something more like a Rebel Commando, I really don't care.

However, from Hasbro's point of view - doing a new Torso for that figure, with the shirt buttoned to the neck with essentially the same vest, etc. as Han normally wore, would make for the basis of a ceremony Han for 2008 - it's about the only ANH version that's left, and would make a great compliment to this years ceremony Luke.

I can totally see Hasbro thinking like this as it gives them two figures with one new tooling. Just put the legs on from VOTC Han, repaint the hands and neck, and pop on an existing head, and viola - they're all set with a new figure.

As you can tell from my signature this one's HIGH on my list - it was actually my input vote to last year's fan choice poll!

'78

Reaction score

I don't know all there is to know about the Corellian Bloodstripes, beyond the bit in the Solo Trilogy where he gets 'em and reading somewhere that he switched to yellow ones (which are a different class of bloodstripes) by ESB because of the bounty on his head & the recognition factor of his red stripes. But Luke also has the yellow ones at the ceremony in ANH!! So I don't know how all that fits in.

I agree that this figure would be a great 2-in-1 for giving us a Ceremony Han next year (much like Holiday Fett seems easy enough to transform into ESB Fett later on). Maybe they'll get creative & give him different legs, knowing they can use 'em on some other character eventually, or at least a different blaster & holster than Han's trademark. With the wide array of holsters & blasters next year, anything's possible! I wouldn't be too upset if it's basically VOTC/VTSC legs with the same weapon & belt, however.

Reaction score

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
But Luke also has the yellow ones at the ceremony in ANH!! So I don't know how all that fits in.

[/QUOTE]

Unless they have a Gap on Yavin IV I always figured that outfit was something he borrowed from Han.

Reaction score

At the same time, I wouldn't put it past Hasbro for this one to be a repacked VOTC Lando. You know Hasbro would have no bones about reuniting us with the pegwarmingest of all pegwarmers. I'm just saying, be prepared...

Reaction score

CobraKaiDojo said:
At the same time, I wouldn't put it past Hasbro for this one to be a repacked VOTC Lando. You know Hasbro would have no bones about reuniting us with the pegwarmingest of all pegwarmers. I'm just saying, be prepared...
I hear you - but unless there's some way they can re-tool it slightly, the rule of thumb for this year's line is that there are no straight re-packs. That being said, I'm sure that somebody can come up with somehow they can re-tool on VOTC Lando...

I admit that I can't think of one, but that may be my wishful thinking overpowering rational thought

'78

Reaction score

But go back up to the fourth post. I believe in one of the QAs Hasbro said no Cloud City figures in 07. If it's and ESB wave, there really is no other option.

Reaction score

Good point - that's two strikes against VOTC Lando coming back:

1) No straight re-issues in the basic line, everything will be new in some way.
2) No Cloud City figures this year

I really can't think of another ESB option for him - it must be Smuggler Lando right?!

'78

Reaction score

I'd say so, unless Hasbro does something really cheesy and removes the VOTC cape and calls it "Millennium Falcon Luke Rescue" Lando or something.

I hope I didn't just give them an idea.

Reaction score

I just remember the VTAC Bespin Luke. Does that invalidate the "no cloud city figures" statement? Or is there an assumed "...in the basic figure line" on the end of that statement.

Reaction score

VOTC Lando is one of those figure that needs to stay exclusive to that line (like Ben & 3PO). While it was the best version we have, Hasbro needs to retool the top half with b-jointed shoulders & elbows & a better, REMOVABLE cloak.

Reaction score

I80SKID said:
VOTC Lando is one of those figure that needs to stay exclusive to that line (like Ben & 3PO). While it was the best version we have, Hasbro needs to retool the top half with b-jointed shoulders & elbows & a better, REMOVABLE cloak.
Agreed 100%!

And yes, I think there's an implied 'in the basic line' attached to the 'no Cloud City this year' statement.

Reaction score

While it would be nice to get a brand-new figure, I hope it's a lot more interesting than Lando in a white shirt and vest. Boring.

Reaction score

i don't like how people are referring to it as a 'smuggler outfit'. it implies that what han wears is standard smuggler garb, which would make no sense. as if there were a uniform all smugglers wore, some sort of law enforcment would be on them in seconds.

Reaction score

XBilly_JackX said:
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
But Luke also has the yellow ones at the ceremony in ANH!! So I don't know how all that fits in.
Unless they have a Gap on Yavin IV I always figured that outfit was something he borrowed from Han.

[/QUOTE]

That has always been my assumption too.

Reaction score

Twin_Sunset said:
i don't like how people are referring to it as a 'smuggler outfit'. it implies that what han wears is standard smuggler garb, which would make no sense. as if there were a uniform all smugglers wore, some sort of law enforcment would be on them in seconds.
I agree, but what else would you call it, "Lando Calrissian in 'I'm Sure He Won't Mind' Outfit?"

Reaction score

Lando in Smuggler's Gear (or whatever you wanna call it) is another figure I'd be really excited to see if he indeed does end up comming out this year. It'd be a figure who I would never have expected to see.

GNT

Reaction score

Twin_Sunset said:
Who's to say other smugglers dont wear the same outfit?

Reaction score

GNT said:
Twin_Sunset said:
Who's to say other smugglers dont wear the same outfit?
<font color="brown"> i'm saying it would not only be a pretty lame move to make smugglers have an "unofficial" uniform, but would also detract somewhat from the character of han solo. not only does he now not carelessly murder a bounty hunter to save his own skin, but to have him dress in a cookie-cutter fashion? like a pizza guy or a bestbuy employee? blasphemy.

(i apologize fot bringing up 'who shot first')

also, how embarrassing would it be if you ran into another smuggler wearing the same outfit?? i would simply die!
</font>

Reaction score

I don't think there is any INTENT in the name "Smuggler Lando" to define the style of dress as what smugglers wear.

It's just an easy two word handle for Lando in that particular scene. It's easier to say "Smuggler Lando" than to say...

"Remember that scene at the end of The Empire Strikes Back, where Lando and Chewie are in the Millennium Falcon preparing to leave to find Han, and Luke and Leia wave goodbye, remember Lando was wearing what looked like Han's clothes... yeah THAT Lando"

I always thought that Han's style of dress was attributed to him being a Corellian, not that ALL SMUGGLERS wore such clothing.

Reaction score

i dont know about you guys, but i think this "summgler" lando looks a tad lame. i mean, i cant see why hasbro would bother making such a boring lando figure. i believe this "lando" will be just another repack/kitbash of earlier lando's. what i would love is if they made a lando that had no cape but was the vintage mold and called him "cloud city escape lando" or something.

btw, love that shot of lando and chewie. hee hee. chewie looks so constipated and lando is just smiling, haha.

Reaction score

No, it isn't a very interesting Lando if you are looking for something that was "prominently featured" in the movies. I NEVER noticed that Lando was wearing those clothes until I was watching the movie on VHS in the 90's. Sort of a blink and you'll miss'em...

But on the other hand, just like Ceremony Luke, even though we don't see much of the outfit IN THE MOVIE, it is implied that the characters make good use of the outfits after the "cameras have stopped rolling". I would have much rather had a Ceremony Luke to play with for Lukes post-ANH adventures than his dumpy farmboy outfit. Same for Lando, his Bespin duds are just way too DISCO for adventures...

For that reason, I am very excited to get this figure. He'll be pre-Jabba's Palace Lando, searching for Han and fighting for the Rebellion.

Reaction score

jaketheviking said:
his Bespin duds are just way too DISCO for adventures...
LMAO! too true. but lando never wore any "normal" clothes in SW? it was either bespin stuff, general stuff, or jaba's palace stuff right?

Reaction score

Keaton33 said:
jaketheviking said:
his Bespin duds are just way too DISCO for adventures...
LMAO! too true. but lando never wore any "normal" clothes in SW? it was either bespin stuff, general stuff, or jaba's palace stuff right?

<font color="brown"> heh... define 'normal' clothing for star wars

a lot of the outfits were pretty zainy. from tunics to armor to calvary shirts, some pretty interesting stuff. i think the only problem with lando's bespin suit is that it's the only costume that's outright 'dated'.

not that tunics, etc. aren't dated... you can just get away with them in sci-fi/fantasy. bellbottoms... not so much. </font>

Reaction score

lol, yeah. but still, thats one of the things that makes lando stand out so much a character, is his totally disco post-70's outfits, lol. i actually didnt notice the bellbottoms for a long time. its was those shiny shoes that caught my attention, lol.