LA FRENCH TOUCH: History of French merchandising 1977-1986

Reaction score
Hey Stephane,
Would it be cheaper to ship multiple copies? I am in the states.
Matt

Hi Matt, shipping for 1 book is about 13 euros of the price; so yes, shipping multiple copies would allow to save on the shipping cost.

But the book weight is just below 2 pounds, so price increase quite fast, it would make around 24 euros for 2 books, 33 for 4 books, 42 euros for 6 book...

By the way, I have many reservations to handle and I do my best to ship once or twice a week, so do not worry if it takes time to get feedback from me ;)

stephane

Last edited:
Reaction score
My copy arrived today and it is fantastic! Just started to flip through it, but I can tell you all that this book is a must for vintage collectors! Don't delay...order one now!!!!

Reaction score
Got my copies yesterday - outstanding effort, well done Stephane!

(Full disclosure: I did help with translation and editing for the English edition)

Even my buddy who is not a SW collector by any means really thought it was cool - he actually couldn't put it down once he started looking at it!

Reaction score
Hi guys, you're going to start reading about the book in forums from the lucky ones who were among the very first to make a reservation and already received their copy

I'm happy that the feedback is tremendous and that's a really nice reward for the countless hours hard work, but you'll see for yourself once you have it in hands :p

I'll continue with reservations before and after CE2; I have enough books for both reservations + CE2, so you don't have to worry about a shortage for now.

And yes, "Dienstuhr" was a terrific help in reviewing and editing my English wording, making the book the best experience for English readers capturing the essence of the original French text.

Thanks again on that, "D" B) and of course thanks again to all the ones who contributed providing one or several iconic item from their collections.

stephane

Last edited:
Reaction score
I received my book today. Excellently packd, thank you but I know I'm going to put some wear into this. I've really only just flipped through and read a few pages but this is top notch. I'd never be able to find all this information so readily and well organized as this book presents on the internet. What a treat, and something that will assist me in collecting for years to come. As someone else mentioned, even if the French angle is not in your collecting realm you will appreciate this book. I'm so glad that Star Wars collectors and enthusiasts continue to put out quality books, referencse and guides! Tres bien!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Stephane. Smile

Received my book Yesterday.

Bravo for creating another fantastic Star Wars reference book!

a MUST Buy IMO!

Cheers mate!

Liam

Reaction score
Another essential resource Stephane, a lot of effort has clearly gone into the book and from a UK perspective so much new info - I never knew Meccano had so many logo redesigns

well done

andy

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just received my copy tonight!

I've only had a chance for a quick skim and a cursory look at everything. That being said, this is an excellent resource for not only Meccano items, but Trilogo and French items in general! The images from the Meccano retailer catalogs is incredible, but there is so much more packed into the pages; guides, advertisements, store displays, carded/boxed figures and anything else with the SW logo released in France. The English translation is superb as well.

If you own the Meccano 2 Trilogo book, this is a logical step up (second edition) of that book. I can't wait to explore this further this week and use it as reference material in the future.

Congrats Stephane! This is another fantastic offering from someone within the community for the community!

Reaction score
I have also received my copy of Stephane's new book and I while I haven't read it from start to finish yet I can already tell that this is an incredible labour of love and it completely trumps "From Meccano To Trilogo" (which says a lot).

I would really encourage anyone who is still unsure about purchasing this book to just go for it, we all know what happens to the prices on really good collector books over the years and this one is worth every £,$ and €!

Well done Stephane and I look forward to reading more when I get the time, it's absolutely huge!

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I already wrote it, but again THANKS for the awesome feedback.

As a reply to "Alan_O_K", to order, you just need to fill the form on the reservation page, and I'm handling reservation by order, it takes a little time, and I continue to catch up during the summer season, I've just slowed down a bit with CE2 preparation ;)

I also take the opportunity of this reply to top that although the book is compared to an 'advanced' "Meccano-to-Trilogo", it is very unlikely what it is :hmm:

Of course, the TOY section is totally reviewed and much more complete in terms of pictures and content than Meccano to Trilogo.

But "La French Touch" is about how the Star Wars movies were received in France, and covers virtually ALL the merchandise and advertising released in France from 1977 to 1986, which as it has been listed, covers adverts, food premiums, posters, magazines, books, games, novels, records, video etc...

stephane

Reaction score
What a great book!
its worth getting for the well written commentary alone. The pictures are comprehensive and very well laid out. If you have any interest in foreign to the US vintage toys, this book is a must.
get it before it sells out!

HWR

Reaction score
I got my copy of the book Monday, but have only had the time to skim through it yet, but have vacation this week, so hopefully, I can sit on the balcony read it tomorrow or latrer today.

You might think, will it be a good buy if I already have Stephane's first book, and it will indeed. As Stephane said himself, where the first book focused on Meccano (Kenner) toys, this book contains so much more. I have no particular interest in French Star Wars merchandise, but would still not be without this book in my SW library.

Reaction score
I did not think it was possible, but Stephane improved on his last book! This new one is a must have for any international collector and a fun read for even casual fans! Very well done!

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I already wrote it, but again THANKS for the awesome feedback.

As a reply to "Alan_O_K", to order, you just need to fill the form on the reservation page, and I'm handling reservation by order, it takes a little time, and I continue to catch up during the summer season, I've just slowed down a bit with CE2 preparation ;)

I also take the opportunity of this reply to top that although the book is compared to an 'advanced' "Meccano-to-Trilogo", it is very unlikely what it is :hmm:

Of course, the TOY section is totally reviewed and much more complete in terms of pictures and content than Meccano to Trilogo.

But "La French Touch" is about how the Star Wars movies were received in France, and covers virtually ALL the merchandise and advertising released in France from 1977 to 1986, which as it has been listed, covers adverts, food premiums, posters, magazines, books, games, novels, records, video etc...

stephane
Hey Stephane....can you reserve my copy for CE2???

i bought the last one at CE1!!!

ill see you in Essen.

Darren

Reaction score
Who said new discoveries couldn't be made in this hobby?

reading through Stephane's excellent book, I noticed something kind of interesting. On page 49 he showcases some really cool cardback transparencies. On one of the close up photos, I noticed that Luke Xwing Pilot is holding his gun upside down! :)

Ok, so it's not a HUGE discovery, but I thought it was pretty fun and interesting. Especially considering that the photographers had to set up each toy while they shot the image. :)

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/showfull.php?photo=282244

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi there. Yes I was quite surprised myself when I saw that detail which is only noticeable on the transparencies o-o

Celebration Europe 2 is coming shortly, I'll be a few hours per day at Gus & Duncan's Completist Publication's booth #804 to sell and sign the French Touch book.

Please be sure not to miss my panel about French vintage merchandising on the friday at noon :p

Again, I'll be happy to meet you all, old pals, and all the collectors around whom I still don't know !!

The French Edition of the book will also be presented on the Mintinbox.net fan booth (FAN15 AREA).

stephane

Reaction score
I have finally had some time to sit down and read my copy and am really enjoying it. I've written up a few of my first impressions about it here

http://powerofthetoys.com/2013/07/la-french-touch/

In summary, don't hesitate to pick up this great resource.

Thank you Stephane for sharing your knowledge and hard work with the community.

Reaction score
Guys I have been in touch with Stephane about a special group purchase of books shipped to the states to help bring down the costs some. I did this with Meccano to Tri-Logo and it worked very well. So the best deal would could come up with would be 6 book package. I already have 4 of them spoken for so that leaves 2 spots. It should bring the cost of the book down to about $50 US shipped to you, saving about $5 a book by my estimations and conversion rates. Stephane asked me to keep the thread clean and have people PM me, which I could not agree more with. If you are interested in one of the last 2 spots, just drop me a PM and we can all add this great book to our libraries.

Thanks
Todd G

Reaction score
Hi guys!
I'm from Mexico and Lili ledy Collector, today I receive my book and its wonderful, I hope one day someone in Mexico can do something like this work, tnx Stephane

Reaction score
Hi All.
Here's a quick update with the book selling & signing hours at CE2 ESSEN from Gus & Duncan's Completist Publication's booth #804:

FRIDAY: 1 PM - 1:30 PM + 4:15 PM - 5:45 PM
SATURDAY: 11:30 AM - 12:30 PM + 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM + 5:00 PM - 5:30 PM
SUNDAY: 10:30 AM - 11:30 AM + 2:00 PM - 3:30 PM

Of course this schedule could slightly change; selling & signing hours will be displayed on the booth.

Hope to see you there, even if you already have the book :p

Reaction score
Got my book some days ago and have spent the weekend studying it. Simply an amazing resource, and I would highly recommend this book to every star wars collector, french or not! I've learned so much and the pictures are stunning! Stéphane is a true gentleman a talented researcher. Get your hands on this one before it's sold out!

Reaction score
This is exactly the kind of awesome stuff you miss when you stay away from RS too long... English copy absolutely reserved! Any chance I can have mine signed like I did for your Meccano book?

Reaction score
Hi guys. CE2 opens in less than 2 days!!!

I'll be selling the book from Gus & Duncan's Completist Publications Booth at #804 on the following schedule:
FRIDAY: 1 PM - 1:30 PM + 4:15 PM - 5:45 PM
SATURDAY: 11:30 AM - 12:30 PM + 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM + 5:00 PM - 5:30 PM
SUNDAY: 10:30 AM - 11:30 AM + 2:00 PM - 3:30 PM

I'm also pleased to announce a very limited run of special FRENCH TOUCH Celebration Europe 2 postcards designed by artist Yann Leroux (book cover designer), hand-numbered and signed by myself. 1 postcard each day, limited to the first 15 buyers of the book o-o

FT_postcards.jpg

Reaction score
Bump up for Stephane, received my book and started to read it today. Great Book, Thanks for another great book to read. :D

Reaction score
Bump for Stephane's book. Bought today at Celebration Europe. This is a must have for all collectors!

Reaction score
Stephane,
you did a tremendous job with your new book. I had the chance today for a quick look... it lastet more than an hour;)

It was very cool to meeting you in Essen personally after all these mails. Enjoy your "new acquisition"B)

Reaction score
definatly a book to get.i also got mine at ce2,sorry for taking so long stephane :) a must for any star wars fan

daren

Reaction score
Bought my copy from Stephane at CE2. He was kind enough to sign and personalize it. It is very well written and a wonderful read. It's worth it for the great MOC pictures & info alone. Anyone interested in Meccano or Tri-logo stuff should definitely check gem this out!

Reaction score
Hi. It was great meeting some of you at CE2 ;)For the other who have reserved the book, with CE2 completed, I've now started handling reservations, so expect to hear from me in august...

Reaction score
Received my copy in the mail this weekend -- La FRENCH Touch is just tremendous. I'm amazed.

Buy it. You will be VERY glad you did.

- Shawn

Last edited: