LA FRENCH TOUCH: History of French merchandising 1977-1986

Reaction score
Dear Collectors and Aficionados!
How much do you think you know about the French vintage Star Wars merchandising?
Here is a special premiere announcement for the Rebelscum forum community.

In 2006, I published the book “Meccano to Trilogo” related to vintage action-figure toys released in France and Europe from 1978 to 1986.

Today, I am proud and pleased to announce a new book, outcome of several years researches, titled “La French Touch: History of Star Wars merchandising & marketing in France 1977-1986.” (unofficial limited book).

France was among the very first countries that had merchandising available at retail, including some exclusively designed for the domestic market; before following the progressive standardization orchestrated over the whole Europe. Star Wars products quickly found their ways into kids toy chests, school playgrounds, kitchens and bathrooms, on the walls, magazines, and any written, video and musical mediums.

As a long-time passionate collector, I used an important number of documents and sources, then wrote following a clear and simple plan, marking out the text with anecdotes and visual illustrations to make the best reading experience possible.

The book gives the author’s point of view considering the 1980s background, and allows to redraw the response the movies got, via a wide selection of documentary references and pictures of items on the French merchandising at large – some still being unreferenced or remained in a “legend” unconfirmed status. Discover or rediscover the French production from this era.

Its content is a full editorial thesis with more than 1300 color illustrations, presented into an 8x10 inches format with 244 full color pages. It push forward the Star Wars merchandising history with a never before tempted editorial adventure. It reserves surprises even to the seasoned collectors!

This book addresses all the fans' generations, collectors, nostalgic, and all aficionados around. Also note that the action figure toys section from the previous book has been entirely reviewed and enriched with additional material.

The French release of the book is ready and I’m still working on a full English version. You can already add the website to your browser’s favorites and check it to get more details about content and availability.

stephane

UPDATE February 24th: the website has been updated with a few sample pages.

IMPORTANT: as quantities will be limited, do not hesitate to contact me (website, email, or PM) in order to reserve your copy.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This sounds like a great book to compliment Meccano to Trilogo. Looking forward to more details when they're available.

Reaction score
Congrats!

You can already add the website to your browser’s favorites and check it to get more details about content and availability.
I was hoping for some sample pages on the site, but it only has the same message in the topicstart at the moment. Can't wait to see the inside of the book.

-Alex

Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing your latest book Stephane!

Reaction score
Hey all :p Thanks for the great feedback !!

I will continue to use this thread to post updates while I'm working on the English release of the book.

As the French release is ready, you can now check the website La French Touch: Star Wars merchandising France 1977-1986 for a short selection of pages.

IMPORTANT: as quantities will be limited, do not hesitate to contact me (website, email, or PM) in order to reserve your copy (the number of copies to be printed is not set yet).

In addition, here's a pic of the French batch :grin:

HWR

Reaction score
As said, this is wonderful news, Stephane. Of cause I would like to reserve a copy of the English version.

Reaction score
Hi all. I have set up a reservation form for the book: La French Touch: Reserve your Copy

It is NOT an order form, but just an easier way for me to keep track of people interested, and determine which quantity I'll need to print in overall for the english edition (expect 2 months from here).

If you plan to arrange combined shipments for friends, just let me know the quantity by email or the comment field.

Because of the limited run, it is very important for me to evaluate quantities.

Thanks!
stephane

Reaction score
Reservation request sent Stephane. Can't wait. Loved your other book.
Alan.

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just a quick update about the "La French Touch: history of French Star Wars Merchandising 1977-1986" book.

I'm still working on the English edition which I expect to be ready in May or June. It takes time since, it's not just translating from the French edition, I have to review and rewrite a lot of stuff, my goal is also to make the best reading experience possible :p. A few members from this board are also helping me with tricky english wording, thanks to them!

In the meantime, do not hesitate to reserve your copy (click this link) so I can print enough.

I also setup a @meccano2trilogo twitter account you can follow for announcements and updates :sneaky:

stephane

Reaction score
Hi :p here's a quick update to let you know that the English edition is still in progress...

Here's a glimpse of the English edition cover o-o

Reaction score
Great, now there's even variants of collecting books! ;)

Hi :p here's a quick update to let you know that the English edition is still in progress...

Here's a glimpse of the English edition cover o-o

Reaction score
Hi Fellow board members :weeabooface:

It's been a few weeks since I posted updates about the English Edition of the book, but everything is going well, I'm about 60% of translating and reworking the text to make it work in english.

I expect to have the book ready to ship early June.

Stephane.

Reaction score
Hey, this week quick update :wtf:

The French edition is being finalized at the printer, I'll get the books next week and I've already started shipping from the first batch of copies I had received in February.

The English edition is completed, it's currently being reviewed and I expect to have it to the printer end of may - meaning I'll be able to ship somewhere around mid-june.

I can already state that you will be quite stunned with the quality of the book and the perfect english wording which makes it a full edition on its own, and not a cheap version translated from French.

In the meantime, do not hesitate to reserve your copy

Now that I have a more precise idea of the printing cost (which is depending of the number of copies ordered), I can give the expected total price including priority shipping:
FRANCE: 33.5 euros
EUROPE: 38 euros
REST OF THE WORLD: 40 euros

Thanks again to all of those expressed interest and support in this project :D
cheers :sneaky:

Reaction score
I reserved my copy :ninja:, can't wait, I bought your book from Meccano to Trilogo and love it :D, so it was natural that I would do the same with this one too :). Congratulations again Stephane, looking forward for the invoice :p.

Reaction score
Hi. As I wrote 3 weeks ago, the English edition of the book is completed and at the printer.The book should have been ready last week, but I am currently facing a few technical issues due to the printer hardware failure (bad luck).I expect to have it solved next week, so I'll be able to start shipping reservations and have also some remaining books to bring at CE2.sorry for the wait.. stephane

Reaction score
Hi.

This is a major announcement: the "Star Wars French Touch" ENGLISH Edition of the book is there :awesome:

I have a first batch of print at hand and I'm going to start processing reservations, so expect an email in the upcoming weeks :p

If you haven't reserved yet, you can do so from the Book reservation page

stephane

Last edited:
Reaction score
Can't wait to get it , thanks Stephane!
for those who are on the fence , place your order, this book will sell out.