L-Slot Boba Fett w/ 2 rockets

Reaction score
I have a friend who owns an L-slot Boba Fett with 2 rockets. Would 2 rockets make it more valuable?
I'm not aware of any auctions with more than 1 rocket.

Last edited:
Reaction score
No...it was given to him when he was 5 or 6 yrs old by a cousin who worked at Kenner here in Cincinnati. He has kids entering college so he's now thinking of auctioning it.

Reaction score
have it graded first, well worth it. Yes the 2 rockets would increase the value for sure, especially f they are different. Heck they could even be an undiscovered variant, either way grading it will cease any doubters that would pass on it. This is the Holy Grail of Holy Grails in Star Wars fig collecting.

Reaction score
>>have it graded first <<
Right...that's a no-brainer. It looks like AFA is really the only option. It's likely Hakes or eBay for auction listing.
AFA is in Norcross (Atlanta) so how would that work? How long does the process take?
I would feel really uncomfortable shipping it there so it would probably be a road trip.
The rockets are both 4 ribbed.

Reaction score
I thought all L-slots were unpainted. Only J-slots are painted AFAIK. I did notice something green in a couple of areas on the original photo on my phone. Not sure what it is or if it will come off when cleaned. I haven't seen the piece in person yet. I'm going to my friend's house tonight to watch the Bengals/Browns game so might see it tonight.

Reaction score
The poorly removed paint on the head and Front torso.
The poon Fett back torso.
The poon Fett rockets.

Reaction score
No...it was given to him when he was 5 or 6 yrs old by a cousin who worked at Kenner here in Cincinnati. He has kids entering college so he's now thinking of auctioning it.
When I was 5 or 6 back then I would have played the heck out of that figure(scare huh). Who was the vintage psychic in your family who thought this will be worth its weight in gold 40+ years later.

Reaction score
When I was 5 or 6 back then I would have played the heck out of that figure(scare huh). Who was the vintage psychic in your family who thought this will be worth its weight in gold 40+ years later.
Well, I have heard multiple stories of Management distributing them, specifically to staff with children, after they were cancelled, with instructions that they be taken care of, so they did have a "collector's item" label from the start. The son of a Kenner secretary once said to me: "...it was given to me as a Christmas gift that year under the threat of eternal motherly disappointment should I ever loose the rocket, or the toy. Evidently, she had some idea of it's potential value."

Also, there's an early catalogue with an advertisement which mentions: "Two spring-launched rockets", which is how it would have been released.

RareFett; better pics would be more useful - my eyesight fails me in my advancing years :(

-M :)

Reaction score
Well, I have heard multiple stories of Management distributing them, specifically to staff with children, after they were cancelled, with instructions that they be taken care of, so they did have a "collector's item" label from the start. The son of a Kenner secretary once said to me: "...it was given to me as a Christmas gift that year under the threat of eternal motherly disappointment should I ever loose the rocket, or the toy. Evidently, she had some idea of it's potential value."

Also, there's an early catalogue with an advertisement which mentions: "Two spring-launched rockets", which is how it would have been released.

RareFett; better pics would be more useful - my eyesight fails me in my advancing years :(

If that’s the case that is hilarious. Here Timmy I have the missile fire Boba Fett for you (Snatches it from him) but you can’t mess with it and we have to put it in a hermetically sealed container because in 40 years this will be your collage fund.

Reaction score
If that’s the case that is hilarious. Here Timmy I have the missile fire Boba Fett for you (Snatches it from him) but you can’t mess with it and we have to put it in a hermetically sealed container because in 40 years this will be your collage fund.
Hopefully, it didn't play out that way :p I mean, I was given things at 7 or 8 years of age, and told to take good care of them, and I still have them today! Admittedly, they don't have a rocket-firing function :p Still, I think that as long as "Timmy" was given something that he *could* play with, along with it, it wouldn't be so bad. Besides, Kenner kids may have gotten tonnes of toys!? The "son" I mentioned, put it in a box, and rediscovered it 27 years later when he moved.

Reaction score
It was supposed to come with 2 rockets. The find a few years ago of the sample mailer with bagged RF fett had 2 rockets. While most L-slot fetts are not painted. There are also a few hand painted L-slots so just because it has paint residue I wouldn't immediately rule it out. But I can't see the details in this low res photo so I defer to others on spotting if it's a fake or not. Either way probably worth emailing Tom Derby with better photos to see if it's worth driving down to get authenticated or not.

Reaction score
Only way to know if this is real is to send to AFA and Tom at CIB. The paint on the helmet could be a kid drawing on it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It was supposed to come with 2 rockets. The find a few years ago of the sample mailer with bagged RF fett had 2 rockets. While most L-slot fetts are not painted. There are also a few hand painted L-slots so just because it has paint residue I wouldn't immediately rule it out. But I can't see the details in this low res photo so I defer to others on spotting if it's a fake or not. Either way probably worth emailing Tom Derby with better photos to see if it's worth driving down to get authenticated or not.
It's definitely not fake. I've known my friend's family for over 50 yrs... since I was 5 yrs old. I grew up across the street from them. His older brother is one of my best friends. I know for a fact their cousin worked for Kenner which can be verified a number of ways. I knew my friend was a huge SW fan and had a lot of their toys as a kid but was only told about the Fett about 5 yrs ago by the older brother. I've never met the cousin but I know a few of the brothers of the cousin. All I can say is that this family is of the highest integrity and to suggest any hint of fraud is laughable + I don't think anyone in the family would even know where to start if they had any inkling about producing a fake. AFA/CGA will sort it out anyway and then there will be no doubt. I don't want to give away too much information because I don't want anyone contacting them. I know there are scoundrels & scammers in the collectibles business from my first foray into making inquiries a few years ago.

I emailed a picture and left a voice message at CGA/AFA early last week telling them about the Fett and to please call me. Every time I called it was impossible to speak to a live person...the only option was to leave a voicemail or send an emaiI. I also let them know that my friend has 2-3 other top 10 pieces + a few more in the top 20 + others that may be in the top 100. I'm going to suggest to my friend that he gets graded and auction off one of the less valuable pieces to get his feet wet in the process before auctioning the Fett. I received a canned email response from CGA 2 days later with a rate summary and no call back from the voicemail yet

Who is Tom Derby?

Reaction score
It's definitely not fake. I've known my friend's family for over 50 yrs... since I was 5 yrs old. I grew up across the street from them. His older brother is one of my best friends. I know for a fact their cousin worked for Kenner which can be verified a number of ways. I knew my friend was a huge SW fan and had a lot of their toys as a kid but was only told about the Fett about 5 yrs ago by the older brother. I've never met the cousin but I know a few of the brothers of the cousin. All I can say is that this family is of the highest integrity and to suggest any hint of fraud is laughable + I don't think anyone in the family would even know where to start if they had any inkling about producing a fake. AFA/CGA will sort it out anyway and then there will be no doubt. I don't want to give away too much information because I don't want anyone contacting them. I know there are scoundrels & scammers in the collectibles business from my first foray into making inquiries a few years ago.

I emailed a picture and left a voice message at CGA/AFA early last week telling them about the Fett and to please call me. Every time I called it was impossible to speak to a live person...the only option was to leave a voicemail or send an emaiI. I also let them know that my friend has 2-3 other top 10 pieces + a few more in the top 20 + others that may be in the top 100. I'm going to suggest to my friend that he gets graded and auction off one of the less valuable pieces to get his feet wet in the process before auctioning the Fett. I received a canned email response from CGA 2 days later with a rate summary and no call back from the voicemail yet

Who is Tom Derby?
Tom Derby is a legend in the hobby who probably have the deepest knowledge on authentication of rare prototype items. He helped register and identify many large finds from Kenner Employees since the 90s. He does all the work for afa on Authentication of these RF fetts.

Reaction score
RareFett - Tom said he would be happy to talk to you. I just sent his email address via PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I say the torso has yellowing like you want to see on an authentic one. I feel this is no obvious fake, like some claim. The paint on helmet can be a childs marking on his toys.

Reaction score
Tom is going to need better pictures than shown here. Looks Poorly paint stripped to me. Can you post the same pictures Mr. Derby will see?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I say the torso has yellowing like you want to see on an authentic one. I feel this is no obvious fake, like some claim. The paint on helmet can be a childs marking on his toys.
The figure has a ton of paint wear? but yet the fragile launcher is still intact and the two little rockets were not lost?

Reaction score
The figure has a ton of paint wear? but yet the fragile launcher is still intact and the two little rockets were not lost?
I can't see any paint wear on the body and limbs, just maybe some black on helmet, which might be shadow or a childs markings. I agree there are some red flags here, but there are also some green, for once. And owner will send it to Tom it seems. Gonna be fun to hear what it is. 99,99% of times it's a new custom made figure, so all reasons to not believe any story told without Tom or docu from kenner.

Reaction score
Oh the haters 🤣
Nice piece man. I really hope it works out.
Would be nice to hear how it all goes and try to remain indifferent with the impending outcome.

Would be great if another could be verified. More the better I say.

Tom will definitely know what's up.

Reaction score
Can we get this moved to the “Watch out“ section? Some kids with a POTF2 collection are getting fooled by this obvious fake

Reaction score
Can we get this moved to the “Watch out“ section? Some kids with a POTF2 collection are getting fooled by this obvious fake
Doubt anyone would buy it before Tom's approval. And if their that stupid, then no watch out section will help them. ;-)