Kyp's Custom Diorama wip's...

Reaction score
Lately I've been getting used to using my 3d printer and I wanted to share some free models I found online and one I made myself.

I bought the Snoke Vintage figure to make a Plagueis figure from and found his throne on a site called Thingiverse. I also use MyMiniFactory and it has nice models too.

The model took about 3 hours to print and I think I used 0.1 layer height for higher detail. The default layer height is 0.3 so that would save a few perimeters each layer as well as some infill. I think the model is already scaled for 1:18th but it could have been 1:12th.

I found a nice T3-M4 file:

A Chopper(the white stuff is because I left a glued part next to it and the fumes crazed it.):

Rey's speederbike already scaled to 1:18th:

I printed it hollow to save time and plastic:

Details are decent considering the amount of support material the rear section used:

It prints in 2 parts by the front failed for me twice so I printed an extra rear and then sliced the front piece to make 2 out of the first failure. The front piece takes a couple hours and the back piece takes about 4. The sliced pieces took about 20-30 minutes.

I also found files for crates. The first two on the left are from that Deagnosti(I don't think that's spelled correctly) Millennium Falcon kit scaled up. The second two on the right are a single file made for table top miniatures based on the Rebels/Clone wars fuel barrel. The smaller one is the first one I printed and was too small so I scaled up and it came out perfect.

I found tons of in multiple scales and even some in 1:18th already.

Every thing in the middle of this pic like the table, shelves, bottles, books, and crates are already in scale:

These sewer grates came in a file that had 6 sizes of the same file side by side but I still scaled that file up to get them in scale for the 1:18th figures:

These wooden crates print out fast and come in several sizes:

The desks have functioning drawers and hidden panels. The cafe table next to it is two pieces that peg together. The cups are six different styles that print at once and take maybe a couple of minutes:

These are some of my papercraft that I'm going to model for printing on top of some oil drums:

The cauldron has moveable handles and a separate base:

I even found a cantina booth set that's in 1/12th scale but scales nicely:

This is a booth for a train scale diorama I think(H/O) that I scaled up:

And this is a Legion scale Yavin guard post that I scaled up. Or down. I can't remember:

And here's one of my models, the Hover Crate with removable lid:

The free files here are examples of easy ways to fill out my dioramas. I hope they help anyone here that is into 3d printing out and anyone who's thinking about getting into 3d printing should totally see the benefits in the hobby with these pics.

I've taken cosplay scale(1:1) and scaled it down to 1:6th and 1:12th scale and had successes. So as long as the model is good and the settings just right, we can get cheap and easy diorama pieces and even vehicles from this hobby.

I've got a couple of vehicles I've made the models for and printed that I'm going to share eventually. And I'm designing modular dioramas.

I'm going to make molds of my models and cast them in resin as model kits. And ig there's desire for them I might sell them.

If you'd like to submit a model for me to print I'm up for it. I'm mainly interested in the 1:18th scale as anything made in that scale should easily scale up to 1:12th or 1:6th.

I'll post pics soon of my first vehicle. :{J

Reaction score
Wow, you really got me wanting a 3d printer now. Looks like you're finding a ton of cool stuff. I forget the place I used to look at but they charged money for all their stuff.

I also really love your dioramas. Hope you keep working on them. They look huge and have some really interesting building styles.

Utinniii

Reaction score
Those are all great! Thanks for sharing. I really want a 3D printer now.

Reaction score
That is so much stuff, it's insane.

What a fun rabbit hole to fall down.

Are you going to sand/paint everything to get it more realistic? My monitor about broke from all the day-glo colors!

Reaction score
lol Sorry about the colors Muftak.

But thanks guys for the comments.

I think it's totally worth getting one considering the one I used to print all this only costs $150. The filament I'm using is only $15 a 1KG roll too.

My printer is a Tronxy X8 I built from a kit. But my brother also just gave me a $700 printer called a Prusa i3 MK 2.5 S. And I can't wait to test that one out.

You guys should totally look at the printers on Amazon or other sites and get a cheap kit, suffer through building it, and then hone it in and start printing out supplemental models like I did.

You know how my recent dio's are all that bare foamboard? I plan on making panels to glue to the walls, floors, roofs, ceilings, etc. and then paint it. And hopefully it will have a more realistic look when I'm done.

Oh and yeah Muftak, I'm going to have to sand the models and use a filler primer to help hide the layer lines and any ghosting that occurred. Then I can paint them up and seal them.

If you check out Customizing for the Kid's interview with Thank the Maker on youtube he goes through the process in a lot of detail and shows just what can be done with these printers. :{J

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've been printing out tons of free files off of Thingiverse and MyMiniFactory to fill in some of the blanks on my dioramas.

I'm using a gold PLA filament my brother gave me and I had trouble dialing in the right temperature for it. I finally settled on 200C and that seemed to work best.

This first shot is my Quarren chef dressing porgs with his assistant (Malla) cleaning off the porgs and handing to him. He's using a printed Vintage(1983) Gammorean axe to kill and skin the cute little avians:

I printed Zanza's gas cans to use as water containers as well as his folding table, folding chairs, roasting pans, beer kegs, propane tanks, and a drill press that doubles as random clutter:

The cage is another user's model with a functioning door. The cool thing is that the cage can be scaled up and down to an extent:

I filled the cage with porgs naturally and the Quarren will use them in his restaurant:

The guy that modeled the axe also did other Vintage weapons from the Jabba's Palace waves:

I just got this Hassk Thug and I'm surprised at how much I like it. His rig was given to my Mattel Jurassic World Mercenary as a jet pack/power armor and the green paint apps nearly match his shirt:

These are some of Zanza's models plus others like that "futuristic" table that the Hassk Thug is bottling/packaging drinks on:

And here's more Star Wars crates for Legion scaled up then scaled down cause I couldn't remember how big it was:

Another Legion scale SW crate only this time from Rebels. This is like the standard hover crate only thinner and taller. It's seen in the background of most of the Lothal city scenes and usually has fruit and other foodstuffs in them. The larger one on the right(your right) is the first go and is solid but the second is scaled more accurately to the 3 3/4 figures and is hollow with a removable lid. The file prints solid, but I used 0% infill and cut the top off as a separate model that still used 10% infill:

These are a tabletop sci fi sign that I'm going to use in my dio's for business signs. I have a file with 3D Aurebesh fonts to print out and glue to these to say "bar" or "grocery". I could also embed the fonts in the model during slicing and print them out in place:

The bottom of this pic is a set of Zanza's shelves that are like those metal ones you see in restaurants. You can see on the set on the right that they were printed before I tuned the temperature down to 200C from 215C. Also, the rods used to make the shelves can easily be used for pipes in dioramas:

Another user made a Jabba's Palace Trophy Wall dio model for 1/12th scale that I scaled down to 1/18th. It's taken two tries already, and I want to try a third.

And I'm showing Maz here because you know Disney is going to say that she taught Han how to survive hibernation sickness back when they had to be smuggled in carbonite during the early days of the Empire:

This Gonk droid file is awesome! It's in scale already and it's got the same POA as the actual toys(2POA). Only they have slotted/pegged legs instead of hinged/action gimmicky:

They aren't 100% screen accurate, but they easily pass as at least one of the previous or later models of Gonks. And they can always be improved:

And I had to print a 1/6th scale Crow T. Robot. Still need his "antlers". I want to try scaling him and the Tom Servo models down for 1/18th scale to have in the background and in droid shops:

I also found a great Palpatine throne model that's in 1/18th scale! There's even other parts of the Emperor's throne room available for printing(windows and petal consoles).

Now I can have Palpatine berate Snoke on being a silly ponce! lol Like two old men in a retirement home:

I was worried that I had printed it too small, but looking at shots of it in ROTJ makes me feel like it's just right. Well, once it's sanded and painted of course:

Your throne is interesting Snooky, but mine spins! *cackles and force lighting's Snoke to death:

Here's the empty seat version:

I'm having so much fun with these 3D printers. Printing the free models helps me out so much. I can use the models to help me design my own models. Which I've made 7 so far, 4 of which are template models. One's a ship that I'm trying to hurry up and finish, I think it's going to blow some minds.

And I recently watched a video that gave settings to use on a printer to get tabletop quality details by making every layer essentially a top layer. It takes a lot longer to print but supposedly gives finer and smoother details. So I can't wait to try the settings out on my printers and see if I can get more details on those porgs.

If I can, I think that decent FDM 3d printed 1/18th scale figures will be possible. :{J

Reaction score
Wow can't wait to see the ship you're working on. So how much filament did you use to print all of that stuff? I'd be interested to see if you have any luck with that top layer technique. I'm still kind of trying to learn how and when bracing/supports are required and whatnot. Before I make the investment I want to have a pretty good idea of what I'll be able to do with it. But yeah being able to print decent-looking figures is kind of the dream at this point. We'll no longer need to wait on Hasbro to produce the ones we want!

Oh and if they say that Maz taught Han how to survive hibernation then I'm out! (Well maybe not completely...)

Utinniii

Reaction score
I spent a bit of time in Thingverse. It was cool. My library has a printer but only allows small stuff.

Those Gonks are pretty cool.

I'd be more inclined to use straws or wires instead of printing poles.

I was just looking at my Han in carbonite. I was going to cast a copy of it and then try to sculpt my face over Han's so I could be a part of my dioramas.

Reaction score
@ Darth Sceptauus

I'm trying to finalize it(vehicle). I'm 90% done with its design and am almost ready for molding it. I want to hold off and show it once I have it finished. And I'm going to make it a modular model kit.

The most filament I've used is on the vehicle iterations I've printed. But I've used one roll of ABS(grey and I hate ABS so far) and 6 rolls of PLA and I'm on my next two. (I'm starting to use the Prusa now and I'll have some pics of the difference between my two printers.

The orientation of the model helps to cut down on support material.

And if you want to watch some tutorials, I highly suggest Angus at Maker's Muse on Youtube. I watched his videos before buying mine and it made my first printer experience so much easier and hassle-free.

Here's his tutorial playlist on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTCCNNvHC8PDR_jQy609toqq8EAfhiOOL

3D Printing Nerd (Joel) and Thomas Sandalader are also great youtubers that give advice and reviews on printers.

lol Hey if they keep making interesting Stormtrooper variations I'm still going to be collecting the SA 3 3/4 versions. I'm just plugging my ears during the film and looking at any cool designs they made. :{J

@Utinniii

Thingiverse has so much there that is either already in scale or easily scaled into 3 3/4. I've even taken an IKEA foot peg that happened to look kind of market/shop-ish and scaled it up to make a market stand with. I'll post pics later of the pieces.

On the Gonk, I'd love to alter the model to have ball joints/pegs where the leg meets the body. Then it would have 4 POA. And it's pretty easy to add in with certain programs like Tinkercad.

I'd also like to design an interior for the Gonk to show it disassembled in a shop.

A personal you in carbonite is fairly simple to do with a 3d printer and a photo-to-3D model program. You just add your face model over the Han and print it. You might have to adjust the model a little more by making them a component or group.

I was thinking that if Customs for the Kid had had a 3d printer they could have made the custom Anakin, Rex, and Ahsoka in carbonite without using actual figures.

3D printing is definitely worth the time for any collector that wants cheaper diorama fodder. :{J

Utinniii

Reaction score
I just lost 2 days in Thingverse. There are sooooo many cool things. I can make a Dingbot! (No Torbor though).
I need to avoid it for a couple of weeks though.

Reaction score
I painted some 3d models, found some neat models, and got some more diorama fodder:

First I got some 5POA Imp's and and FO Snowtrooper from 2-packs and the FO Snowspeeder.

But the main reason for the 2 packs was the much needed alien background fodder. I really like these alien figures. And they'll help make Nar Shadaa more diverse:

I also got a Ketwol to use as a shopkeeper. He's now one of my favorite aliens from the POTF2 line. He has so much possibility. His coat and pants are removable and he's really a short alien on stilts, so you can make several of his species from this one figure by swapping out what you take away from the figure. I can see at least 4 variations using this figure if I had 4 more. And his paint apps are really nice as well. I was really shocked at how much he grew on me. Plus the backstory included with the figure makes him even more bad ***. :{J

And these red market stands are the IKEA foot peg I mentioned in a previous post. I cut the model in half and scaled it up to make a 2 piece market stand with a sink/bowl. To me, it looks great and I want to try and model a canopy for them someday.

I picked up the FO Snowspeeder to use as either a CorSec speeder or a random speeder. But I really think it matches the urban camo of the GI Joes I'm using for urban CorSec officers:

I also got around to painting the 2 Rey speeders I made. I'm going to use them for a female Swoop gang/small time crime syndicate:

I'll use milliput to fix the top of the front section and to make the seats more detailed eventually:

This is a Rebels grav-sled I found on Thingiverse for the Legion scaled game. I scaled it up 225% as I do most of the Legion scaled stuff and it was going to turn out great but it came loose from the build plate. I'll have to reprint it, and might as well since the handle needs to be adjusted for this larger scale:

But it works well for filling out spaceport dio's for now:

This is a piece of a cargo hover truck file on Thingiverse that I harvested to use as vents on walls in the Nar Shadaa diorama. I love that 3d printing has these kind of advantages:

Here's some of the stuff I printed in that gold PLA filament spray painted in Rustoleum chrome and then painted with acrylic paints:

I painted some of my Quarren Ramen Shop guy's stuff too. The vases are another of Zanza toys models like the folding chairs and tables as well as baking pans:

I love how the cooked porg turned out:

And I reprinted the Kenner Gammorean axe on the Prusa and painted its handle dark brown:

This is the first axe as well as the longer one that were in that gold PLA. I painted the handle lighter to look like a different wood:

That same lighter tan will work well on these porgs. And the dark brown could be the outer feathers:

Then there's the headless porg that will need a little gore added:

I painted my Mouse droid and Sentry droids flat black. Then one of the Sentry droids got its white coating:

Some more legion scaled droids I found on Thingiverse. A LIN and Treadwell droid scaled up to 225%. They don't match the on screen versions perfectly, but they could easily be earlier or later models:

My failed K2(too short) painted up in Krylon Terracotta and Rustoleum Chrome:

And my red Power Droids are now Jawa brown, duck egg blue, and light tan. Plus I printed one more on the Prusa in silver to compare and contrast to the three from the Tronxy:

The Prusa one has the best detail and the least ghosting. Plus the silver PLA looks really close to the plain power droid toy:

This legion scaled droid is my favorite droid find from Thingiverse. It's a Binary Load Lifter like the ones C-3PO mentions in ANH. This one is 225% scale. Wookieepedia says the droid is 3 meters tall though:

So I printed a 250% scale version that's a little taller than 3 meters in 1/18th scale. It took 8 hours to print all the pieces(all in one go) and I wanted to save the last bit of silver so I swapped it out for the Hatchback Red PLA. It would have printed in about half the time if I had remembered to switch the infill from 10% to 5%:

Here you might can see where the two PLA's near seamless transition and the difference in the quality of the PLA's:

And to get an idea how tall the droid is going to be I held it up next to my barkeep guy. I want to print out some modified leg and arm duplicates to add more detail to the limbs. And it will be neat to try and add articulation instead of just gluing it all together:

I painted the cantina chairs in that terracotta paint too:

And the first two mess ups trying to hone the scaling are usefull for small and large figures:

Just thought I'd show some SW ladies in the Zanza toys folding chair models:

Zanza is great. He also made these guitars, guitar case, and guitar racks as well as about 40 other models all in 1/18th scale. I love these guitars and accessories though. It helps me make a custom cantina band with space-guitars:

The Figure Works Yavin Guard Tower is painted in flat black for now:

And I painted that Kyber crate terracotta to try and match that orange color:

I wanted to show a Legion scaled figure and dio accessory to show how small some details go. And these are on 0.3mm layer heights. I could go lower to improve the details at the cost of longer print times.

And notice that dio accessory? It's the Fuel Energizer mini-rig. Kind of. lol. I need to try printing it out at 225% scale and add some fuel lines to it for the spaceports:

This is a sharpie pen I bought and used to paint some of the power droid's silver with:

I wanted to say that although these add in accessories from the 2 packs could have been a droid or at least a BAD part, I still kind of like them and will try to use them somehow:

Moroff's is already going to double as a leaf/garbage blower for Nar Shadaa:

I wanted to say that I like this figure, and don't like it. His helmet/head is cool, and so is the body, but they don't match if you ask me. His head deserves a different body and the body looks like it should be Palpatine's younger Sith Apprentice outfit or at least some other Sith character's. So, I'm definitely looking at what I'm going to do with him:

My last pic is of this Disney Star Tours droid because I think this is the droid getting it's butt whooped in the droid cage fight in Solo:

Hope to have more posted soon! :{J

Utinniii

Reaction score
I also got a Ketwol to use as a shopkeeper.

This is a Rebels grav-sled I found on Thingiverse for the Legion scaled game. I scaled it up 225% as I do most of the Legion scaled stuff and it was going to turn out great but it came loose from the build plate. I'll have to reprint it, and might as well since the handle needs to be adjusted for this larger scale:

So I printed a 250% scale version that's a little taller than 3 meters in 1/18th scale. It took 8 hours to print all the pieces(all in one go) and I wanted to save the last bit of silver so I swapped it out for the Hatchback Red PLA. It would have printed in about half the time if I had remembered to switch the infill from 10% to 5%:

And I painted that Kyber crate terracotta to try and match that orange color:

I wanted to say that although these add in accessories from the 2 packs could have been a droid or at least a BAD part, I still kind of like them and will try to use them somehow:

My last pic is of this Disney Star Tours droid because I think this is the droid getting it's butt whooped in the droid cage fight in Solo:
:{J
IDK if you know this but the put a turban on Ketwol's face to make Melas so you will want at least one more.
Let me know if you ever make a naked gonk (no details) and perhaps extra assessories. Or if you want to make specific gonks, I've charted them all out.

I saw that there is a phone ap that takes 3D scans. Someone went to a museum and scanned statues. You might want to look into that, as you could scan existing toys you wanted parts from.

The BAW (on the hover sled) makes a good body and legs for a droid, similar to the style of the Droids cartoon.

It is really cool to see how the paper model Kyber Crate matches up with the printed one!

How hard is it to cut a printed object?

I notice there are some SW droids you haven't printed out yet. I'm Utinniii there as well. Check out my bookmarks, as I found lots of alien heads and thing to print out to attach to SW figures.

Is it OK if I ask questions here about the process or should I PM you instead?

Reaction score
Yeah I remember seeing that in the BTS footage of the Special Editions. I want one to make Melas, but also 3-4 more to have more of Ketwol's species roaming the dio's.

I'd love to see any pics of the gonks/power droids you have. I'm going to try making that wall slot you see them coming out of in Solo. That way I can have a bunch of them loaded in it.

I've actually made a 3d scanner about 10 years ago by using a laser level, a webcam, and a sheet of paper with certain dots on it to calibrate it. Oh and a program that read the webcam's footage to chart the model. It's nowhere near as good as current scanners though, so yeah, I want to get one ASAP to scan in stuff to print.

Which droid from Droids are we talking about?

Yeah, that model has the end caps and the handles that go in them as well but I only printed the main body so far. I think someone made the opening version of it, so I need to see if I can find that. Hasbro is taking too long with the Hover Tank that comes with them.

Using side snips/sprue cutters it's easy. I haven't tried using an Xacto knife to cut any of it yet though. But thin pieces should handle much like sheet styrene. I was wondering myself about this looking at the Load Lifter droid's arms and legs. I want to somehow articulate them but it would probably be best to just 3d model it and print it out.

Cool, thanks for letting me know. I need to make an account there. But I'll check out your bookmarks tonight.

I'm totally fine with you asking here or in PM. Either one is fine.

Were any of the droids you found Leebo from Shadows of the Empire or Proxy from The Force Unleashed? MK from X-Wing Alliance would be nice too.

I'm also looking at the dewback and tauntaun models on there to try and print out posable mounts. I have this flexible filament called ninja flex that would make them squishy.

And I'd love to find that long legged creature as a 3d model to print. Or at least a giraffe model that I can modify. :{J

Utinniii

Reaction score
Here's me

The Star Wars and Things to Make folders will interest you the most. Sci-Fi and Robots as well.

I still haven't reuploaded my pics since the links broke but that is on my to-do list. I'll send you a link to my Gonks when I do. They are mostly screen grabs. (Just don't post any photos that are not screen grabs as some are from private collections and not meant for public viewing - by owner's request, not mine.)
Speaking of scanners, I need to check if my library has one. If so, I'm almost finished my R1 mount.
No Leebo. Here's a few of the one's I want to make.

Astromech
Droid?
T3-M4
Mt-4T
Neat R2

Last edited:
Reaction score
Cool stuff. I've gotten all of those models though. :{J

MyMiniFactory has some that aren't on Thingiverse.

Sure, I'll just look at them. Thanks for giving me the chance too. I love the BTS pics you post.

I'm okay modeling non-organic stuff, so that R1 creature is out of my league at this point. I hope someone else is nice enough to sculpt it or at least a giraffe that I can tweak like you did.

Leebo and other EU characters don't get modeled much it seems. I need to look back on Sketchup's warehouse though. They had some droids IIRC. And converting them to STL's isn't that hard, so I might be able to find Leebo there.

I need to put my T3's together and paint them. I'm really happy with that model. I've got 2 printed to have T3 and the gold one from KOTOR 2's prologue on the Ebon Hawk.

I saw that MT one too and have been wanting to modify it before printing it. I want it in parts.

I got a J9 Worker Droid there that I didn't see on your list if you're interested. I'll try and find the link for it on Thingiverse. It's a Legion scaled model that I scale up to 3 3/4 and to me it looks close enough to populate the background.

Here's the J9: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:817725

https://www.thingiverse.com/Avioza/designs

https://www.thingiverse.com/Bountyhunterxx5/designs

https://www.thingiverse.com/ricktress/designs

https://www.thingiverse.com/300zxcolin/designs

https://www.thingiverse.com/sablebadger/designs

https://www.thingiverse.com/dutchmogul/designs

Those are some of the Legion scale posters I've found the most from. Legion scale is 28 mm high I think, and I scale it 225% to get it into 1/18th scale.

https://www.thingiverse.com/Astrofossil/designs

https://www.thingiverse.com/Snickett/designs

Those were ship designs that are usually in scale with the X-Wing miniatures.

https://www.thingiverse.com/FigureWorks/designs

That was a guy who makes 1/18th and 1/12th scale stuff.

The Kenner Vintage weapons: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2877900

The Gonk I printed: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2902579

The Fuel Energizer (Mini Rig remake): https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2896835

Different R2: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2922411

Clone Commando Rifles: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2935467

Ewok Village model that would be awesome to print some day: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2869262

ANH DS Panel: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2872342

Action Figure stands: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2153241

And my favorite 1/18th model maker Zanza: https://www.thingiverse.com/zanzastoys/designs

I hope you find some stuff you may have missed. :{J

Utinniii

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing those!
Miminifactory does gave a few different things.

I don't care for the head of the J9 and I have the body from the white torture droid. But thanks though.
There were a lot of cool things in the above links I hadn't seen. Some I have, but don't intend to print out any time soon.

Here's my R1 mount nearly finished.

Reaction score
Oh man look at all the creatures!!! Loth Wolf, Hurgill, Puffa Pigs, and even a baby Ithorian. And is that the Ithorian's mom or Old Jho? Either way Hasbro should have already made all of these in some shape or form. The Hurgill could be micro machines.

Utinniii the R1 long legged creature is looking bad ***. What do you have left on it?

Glad I could help with the links.

Yeah that J9 is really plain since it's Legion's 28 mm scale. I printed it out in 1/18th scale and it's really low in details. But, I plan on adding a texture to it by heating it and pressing something like sandpaper to it to transfer a texture onto it. Probably not sandpaper, but you get the idea. Other than that I'd have to alter the 3d model. That would be better.

I found a file last night that a guy posted of a 3d scan of the POTF2 Bossk figure(one of the best POTF2 figures). I'm scaling it down to print out in 28mm scale. And I saw his rifle as a file too, so I can arm him once both are printed.

And I also found a sitar model that is already in 1/18th scale that I gave to Slave Leia. I put her static pose legs on and gave her the sitar and it really matches the pose. I'll post a pic later tonight. :{J

Utinniii

Reaction score
Yeah that J9 is really plain since it's Legion's 28 mm scale. I printed it out in 1/18th scale and it's really low in details. But, I plan on adding a texture to it by heating it and pressing something like sandpaper to it to transfer a texture onto it. Probably not sandpaper, but you get the idea. Other than that I'd have to alter the 3d model. That would be better.

I found a file last night that a guy posted of a 3d scan of the POTF2 Bossk figure(one of the best POTF2 figures). I'm scaling it down to print out in 28mm scale. And I saw his rifle as a file too, so I can arm him once both are printed.

And I also found a sitar model that is already in 1/18th scale that I gave to Slave Leia. I put her static pose legs on and gave her the sitar and it really matches the pose. I'll post a pic later tonight. :{J
Let us know how the sandpaper idea works.

I hope to find more scans of figures. I think we need to enter their individual names or species.
I find the weapons look too rough though.

Myminifactory has enough different things (especially if you want museum pieces) although I like Thingverse better.

Reaction score
Yeah I like Thingiverse better too. MMF does say that its models have all been printed at some point, but TV just has more stuff.

I haven't seen any rough weapons on TV. I know that some I printed in my gold filament are rough because of the filament itself, not the file. If I reprint them they're smooth. Like the Gammorean axe. In gold it's rough, but in the silver it came out smooth.

Once you paint them it's barely noticeable. Plus, using a filler primer or bondo can completely smooth the surface. :{J

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wow, Kyp, you're getting so much done! When you get everything set up in your dio you're gonna have a freaking city!

And Utinniii that R1 mount is so cool! Did you just sculpt it in clay or what?

I love all the great info and resources on 3d printing, I'm learning a lot. Currently setting money aside for one of my own, can't wait!

Reaction score
I think you won't be disappointed Darth.

There's also photogrammetry for scanning existing models in by taking photos and then cleaning up the model.

I'm looking into that so I can duplicate some X-Wings or a Dewback. :{J

Utinniii

Reaction score
Wow, Kyp, you're getting so much done! When you get everything set up in your dio you're gonna have a freaking city!

And Utinniii that R1 mount is so cool! Did you just sculpt it in clay or what?

I love all the great info and resources on 3d printing, I'm learning a lot. Currently setting money aside for one of my own, can't wait!
Decapitated toy Giraffe with model magic sculpting. I just finished it.

Hey Kyp, what happens if you put the excess scraps in boiling water? Does it go soft again? If so, It might be recycable with certain casting molds.

Reaction score
It does get really soft in boiling water and it shrinks/contracts slightly.

I didn't even think of try to melt the scraps to pour into a mold.

Thanks Utinniii, that's a bad *** idea.

I'm going to try it by pressing a blaster(Kyle Katarn's Bryar pistol) into some sculpey. I'll press both sides. Then I'll heat up some water and chunk some scraps in to see if the plastic pools together. And I have a ladle that might let me melt the plastic with out it getting wet.

It would be so neat to be able to pour it like molten plastic into the mold and it actually produce a useable duplicate. :{J

Utinniii

Reaction score
Siligum can take the heat. Unlike Sculpy, it is pliable after setting.
Orumaru will probably just soften with the heat.

Utinniii

Reaction score
Well I can always cure the sculpey first. And it's what I got. :{J
I usually boil the sculpy for a few minutes before I demould.

How go are you at using the modelling software?
I have 2 ideas. The first is to remove (or have separate) greeblies on a gonk so they are easier to customize and the second is to copy and merge 2 gonks into the double Gonk I've seen.

Since I can only print at the library and I have to be nearby, I think I will have a lot of time to play around with things. Now I just need to find the time to go and print.

Oh, keep checking my Thingiverse collections. I'm finding lots of greeblies and creatures.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm average level on modeling. I could attempt that long fuel Plunk droid(fuel droid that looks like Gonk).

And we do need the swap out greeblies for them. I can try to make some based off the ones that came with that brownish Hasbro one. And it shouldn't be too hard to remove the ones already attached and make them separate printable parts.

I've got your page bookmarked and will keep an eye on it.

I printed the pod racer engines without scaling them and they're landspeeder size. This is good because I can easily add these to my cardboard vehicles instead of using paper towel and toilet paper tubes. And the engines can be cut to print out just the front and back of the model to add to already attached cardboard tubes.

I haven't printed the giraffe/turtle combo yet. I want to attempt that here in the next day or two. If I make a convincing model I'll upload it to TV so you can grab it if you like it too.

Another creature we need is the Jerba from ANH. I saw some great customs here, but I'd like to try and do a "hairy" 3d printed model of it. And if that came out well, the Bantha would be next.

One thing at a time though. But still tell me any ideas you have and maybe we can get some printed. :{J

Utinniii

Reaction score
I haven't forgotten to send you my Gonk grabs (I have some naked Jerba pics as well). Nor have I had time to check if my library has a 3D Scanner.

The pod engines would make good speeder engines. I have a ton of files of things that would make cool greeblies and other things for dioramas now.

I didn't see any cool horns or yak/mammoths for a Bantha on TV though. I'd want faux fur on it though. I made one in university using a vintage (broken) GI Joe rhino and a sculpted head. My GF took it though.

Reaction score
Faux fur just doesn't look right at that scale though. And to be honest, the faux hair toy versions have all looked tacky. The Action Fleet one is the best looking Bantha toy I've seen to date and uses very little fur.

I saw a set of ram's horns that could be scaled to match the bantha's nicely. I just haven't seen any models that are close enough. Still haven't attempted the Giraffe/turtle combo. :{J

Reaction score
Image dump time. :{J

I made some 3d printed diorama accessories.

First up is a Japanese Izakaya style grill and counter for my character Rollo's Ramen shop(the purple thing):

It has the troth for the coals to lay kebabs over as well as holes to stick finished ones in. And it has a counter on both sides. The piece simply rests against my cardboard diorama.

The orange and white bits are all 3d printed cups and bowls some of which were failed prints but turned out to be Rossian happy accidents. The one on the far end with the "noodles" is a crystal ball that failed. And then I used some of the model's rafts as napkins and coasters. The green ones do look like nipples though. And the yellowish blobs on the right side are pieces of milliput that hardened before I could sculpt with them. They looked like bread so I used them like the hot glue drops next to them.

This next one is one I wanted for a while. It's Kanan's meditation seat/stool from Rebels:

I can always scale it up for anyone that has the 6" Kanan or Ahsoka and wants to pose them meditating.

And these are something else I wanted. The common room stools from Rebels. The left ones are my models from memory but the ones on the right like the one Ezra is on is screen accurate. Again, I can scale these props up for 1/12th scale collectors. Just PM me.

These chairs are also from Rebels in Old Jho's cantina. The one Torryn is sitting on is the first draft and it was too small so I made a larger one like the one Tressk(Bossk custom) is sitting on. Again, I can scale these up for 1/12th scale if anyone is interested.

The data pads are modeled on the ones from Rebels as well only I oversize them to make them not so easy to lose. I have in scale versions though and they work too. And these can also be scaled up for anyone interested.

(I like how Torryn and Tressk look like they're studying their lines for the Nar Shaddaa videos I'm making)

Here's some more scalable props I've got going. There's:

a credit box with removable credit insert(I'm also making the jem insert as well as a spice insert)

a "milk" jug like the ones in TCW or in Rebels when Chop is helping Ezra train.

Hera's Kalikori(WIP)

and 2 of the datapads at the correct scale with a papercraft datapad to show the size I use. Also, the papercraft datapad's screen can be glued to the model to have either an Imp version or Hera's shopping list

This just shows that the credit insert slides out

I modeled the Hover crates too. Unfortunately for me, I printed several before noticing I forgot to round the corners. DOH! I have since fixed that. They have removable lids and details that the papercraft ones I made have. And of course, they can always be scaled up/down.

This last diorama "accessory" isn't my own model. I found this great Dr. Zoidberg model and scaled it down to try and make it 1/18th scale. I have to reprint it since it looks so tall. But to be fair, the Thrawn figure is kind of short.

But now I have one of my favorite alien characters to put in my Nar Shaddaa dio's.

Oh, and look over Zoidberg's left shoulder...that's the next set of pics I'm posting under the custom vehicles. :{J