Kylo Ren - Armor Up

Reaction score
Because Hasbro under estimated the demand. (Personally I believe Hasbros approach to toy making as shifted to incorporate manipulating the market). Many people will laugh at this and say things like "another conspiracy theory". That's all good and well until you consider the money involved in licenses like Star Wars. It's counter intuitive to think about toys in this way. But even Lucas himself acknowledged the relevance of toys in the movie business. Most of the money came from toy sales. Since the world is changing and toys are slipping into irrelevancy, I think Hasbro decided to go on the offensive and make sure toys stay relevant, since it's the business they're in.
I do agree with what you've said, but also remember, no matter what the facts are in front of us (how many of what figures are or aren't on the shelves), or what the corporate strategy may be, there remains one immutable constant... supply&demand.

Reaction score
Hasbro didn't underestimate demand. They already said there would be minimal product prior to the movie.

Reaction score
Don't put words in my mouth, I'm just repeating what I heard as to why there isn't much to get right now. Whether there is going to be a glut of product shipped afterwards, who knows...
It has always been feast or famine with SW, so I don't see anything changing. It will either be like it has always been, and this stuff will be around every corner. Or like it is now, and you'll not find it w/o the help of Sherlock Holmes.

Reaction score
It has always been feast or famine with SW, so I don't see anything changing. It will either be like it has always been, and this stuff will be around every corner. Or like it is now, and you'll not find it w/o the help of Sherlock Holmes.
Which is why i'm glad that Hasbro gave us Star Wars aficionados a chance to get our figures before the movie is even released, just in case there is a drought of these later. I have only three figures left to find before i can sit back and breath a sigh of relief. Phasma, FO Flametrooper (base series) and BB-8 Teedo Thug combo pack. So at least for now i'm still having to be a Sherlock Holmes, and it's kinda fun.
There's a huge shopping mall i haven't been to for four weeks, and they have three stores stocking TFA figures, including a TRU store. I'm off right now to go and check, hoping today to find at least one i need and hopefully all three...

Reaction score
This is in stock on HTS with 20% off and free shipping - I like the basic figure so much that I had to order this one as well!

Reaction score
Considering the prices in Melbourne. It will cost you $30 when it shows up anyways, right! lol

My plan for these Armor ups, is to wait it out till they reach $6ish. Since I only want the armor. $12 for ashell is too high.

Reaction score
Considering the prices in Melbourne. It will cost you $30 when it shows up anyways, right! lol

My plan for these Armor ups, is to wait it out till they reach $6ish. Since I only want the armor. $12 for ashell is too high.
Maybe we can work something out. Which armor parts do you want? I want to pick up another DS 2 Luke

Reaction score
Good point! Found the BB-8 Teedo Thug combo pack today, cost me $25 at TRU! These prices are killing me; but at least this time no obvious flaws on the paintwork, so i made the jump to light-speed and put cash on the counter, but as Murphy's law would have it, mild abrasion marks across the see-through plastic casing:disgusted:. Damn Murphy! You're antagonizing my OCD:rolleyes:

Reaction score
I am very puzzled as to why THIS particular armor up figure is so scarce. I see almost every figure in this assortment with a good degree of regularity, but I've only seen the Armor Up Kylo Ren once in a store, The only other figure from this assortment that's been as scarce has been Boba Fett. Very strange!

Reaction score
Actually saw one of these on the shelf at my local Walmart and passed at the time. Didn't know he was so hard to find.

Reaction score
I am very puzzled as to why THIS particular armor up figure is so scarce. I see almost every figure in this assortment with a good degree of regularity, but I've only seen the Armor Up Kylo Ren once in a store, The only other figure from this assortment that's been as scarce has been Boba Fett. Very strange!
Which has me bamboozled too, as to why the stores here in Australia were practically flooded with these two that you mention as scarce. Fortunately i have both of them, but I don't see them around much anymore, yet they were definitely plenteous at the beginning, they were everywhere. I always thought Australia was behind the eight ball and played second fiddle to America when it comes to supply matters, but Hasbro seems to be playing a game of hide-&-seek and no-respecter-of-persons on this count, spreading-out supply almost in an erratic manner worldwide:wtf:. Don't worry, if it means anything to you, i'm imagining that around movie-time (hopefully) the shelves will be bogged-down with every figure from the whole range in total abundance.

I'm shivering in my boots about the new wave that's recently been released, hoping to high heaven that we see them here. So far not a trace of them; these figures from the latest wave are even more appealing to me for sure than the ones we already have, so i've got my fingers crossed big-time.

Reaction score
He's rare because he's Kylo Ren AND because this is the only hood down version. Hood up has been released in greater numbers (2 waves). Even people who waited for the SA version bought this one for the alternate hood down head. I'm considering it myself...

Reaction score
He's rare because he's Kylo Ren AND because this is the only hood down version. Hood up has been released in greater numbers (2 waves). Even people who waited for the SA version bought this one for the alternate hood down head. I'm considering it myself...

I did and already have an SA hood down custom, and it looks great!It's now time to add the armor to an BS SA version to....ARMOR UP!!!!!

Reaction score
I actually ran across 2 of these last night and passed them up because of the $12 price. Didn't realize these were hard to come by. Probably should've grabbed it for the hod-down variant.

Reaction score
Going by prices on Ebay he's not very rare. Could this one change and become rare? Is there an unknown phenomena with figures where some can all of a sudden become more rare?

Reaction score
Going by prices on Ebay he's not very rare. Could this one change and become rare? Is there an unknown phenomena with figures where some can all of a sudden become more rare?
He isn't rare in the sense that he's necessarily worth anything more than retail.
He's rare by the definition; "hard to find".
Shoddy Hasbro distribution is the only reason this guy isn't on every peg. Low numbers in cases and low numbers of cases in stores make him hard to track down.

We all keep saying it; if you're looking for you stuff to appreciate in value, stop collecting TFA Hasbro figures.

Reaction score
He's rare by the definition; "hard to find".
Shoddy Hasbro distribution is the only reason this guy isn't on every peg. Low numbers in cases and low numbers of cases in stores make him hard to track down.

We all keep saying it; if you're looking for you stuff to appreciate in value, stop collecting TFA Hasbro figures.

If he's hard to track down as you say, then he's 'by definition' rare, right? So, Ebay prices should be reflecting that? Strange why it isn't. If he's hard to find as you say, then Ebay should be charging $50 or $100 for him.

Since he's hard to find, does that mean i should go out and buy another three while i can? Because i know where to get them.

And what makes Hasbro figures any different than Kenner figures, why should Hasbro figures be worth any less? Is that just opinion? Same line of figures, same movie franchise, and probably even more demand today for these with less being supplied (possibly) so less available to purchase; we might end-up in a better position than the Kenner ones. MOC will seal the deal. We don't know the numbers yet, how it will all work-out relating to rarity, only time will tell. If the first Waves don't get re-released, we'd be sitting on gold as far as i can tell.

Reaction score
If he's hard to track down as you say, then he's 'by definition' rare, right? So, Ebay prices should be reflecting that? Strange why it isn't. If he's hard to find as you say, then Ebay should be charging $50 or $100 for him.

Since he's hard to find, does that mean i should go out and buy another three while i can? Because i know where to get them.

And what makes Hasbro figures any different than Kenner figures, why should Hasbro figures be worth any less? Is that just opinion? Same line of figures, same movie franchise, and probably even more demand today for these with less being supplied (possibly) so less available to purchase; we might end-up in a better position than the Kenner ones. MOC will seal the deal. We don't know the numbers yet, how it will all work-out relating to rarity, only time will tell. If the first Waves don't get re-released, we'd be sitting on gold as far as i can tell.
You seem to have some delusions of grandeur here. I'll see if I can address them best I can.
Please, anyone more experienced than I, jump in.

"Hard to track down" absolutely does not "by definition" mean he is rare. Rarity in action figures and collectibles is not singularly defined by how many of each figure is in a case.
Ebay prices do not reflect rarity as much as they do demand. Low supply and high demand also do not constitute rarity.

No, you should not go out and buy another 3 while you can with the intention of the figure appreciating in or retaining its value. If you want to own 3-4, then by all means, buy more.

Just because some areas aren't getting superb distribution, it doesn't mean the figure is produced in low volume (hence the "rarity" of Armor Up Kylo Ren). The same can conversely be said about figures with a perceived high volume production.

Perceived value is a big deal in collectibles. Some people think a carded figure is instantly worth more money just because it is MOC. This clearly isn't the case with a lot of modern figures (see POTF2 and TPM).

You missed the point about Hasbro figures. What makes Hasbro different from the Kenner figures isn't about them being the "same line of figures, same movie franchise," etc. Rather, it's the mass production.
Kenner figures were not nearly produced in the numbers we have the modern figures in today. Also, at the time, they weren't making 6 different Chewbacca's a year.
Hasbro mass-produced the ever-loving crap out of Star Wars figures. You're sorely mistaken to assume that there is more of a demand and less of a supply nowadays. We will not end up in a better position than the Kenner ones. We don't have to know the numbers yet because it's been laid out for us visibly for the last 20 years that Hasbro has been making figures.

The last waves see low production numbers, meaning they will likely be worth more. That being said, go look what a mint final-wave figure from a modern line is going for; a small fraction of the vintage counterparts (Yak-Face is still yielding a ridiculous price).

When a figure is no longer being actively produced and the demand is still high, that is when you see figures like The Black Series 6" Boba Fett peaking in price, which is only 2-3 times its retail suggested price, mind you.

I sincerely hope you aren't collecting TFA figures for the sole purpose of them being worth more down the road. Collect them if you enjoy collecting for all that it means to you.
They may be worth a goldmine in the future and I (and many others) could be proven severely wrong. I anticipate there being a few figures late in this series that will be produced in low numbers, making them somewhat rare. But assuming that any and every figure you come across with moderate scarcity is going to be worth something later is unrealistic.

Hope this helped.:weeabooface:

Reaction score
I sincerely hope you aren't collecting TFA figures for the sole purpose of them being worth more down the road.
Honestly, if that was the case i'd be buying at least three of every figure i could get my hands on, but Constable Zuvio is the only TFA figure i have three of, and i can assure you there are many from the TFA line that i refuse to buy because i don't like the look of them aesthetically (without referring to Q.C. issues).

That said, i am hoping some of the figures will appreciate in value? It would be nice to find-out i have a rare piece in the future, that would be exciting, but obviously we won't know until the dust settles...

I'm a MOC collector these days, and exclusively TFA figures. For the last 20 years i've been grieving (quite literally) the fact that i never left my 1977 Kenner SW figures unopened MOC, but when the TFA movie was announced, well, YOU DON'T KNOW THE POWER OF THE FORCE:grin:.

The stars had aligned, the feeling of elation and the sense of relief, i could stop grieving now, a second chance for MOC SW Figures:D

But wishful thinking has me hoping that maybe one or two of the TFA figures all of a sudden for whatever reason might somehow become high-demand, just for the thrill of it, a rare TFA figure in my hands would be nice, but i'm not holding my breath;).

Reaction score
But wishful thinking has me hoping that maybe one or two of the TFA figures all of a sudden for whatever reason might somehow become high-demand, just for the thrill of it, a rare TFA figure in my hands would be nice, but i'm not holding my breath;).
Aren't we all, though? :grin:

Reaction score
Lak, you did a pretty good job breaking down the expected value of these. They will be worth what they are worth today or less for the most part. The only ones that will be worth more the final wave due to low numbers.

A couple things to add. I think the Kenner figures were produced in very large numbers. Probably very comparable to todays figures if not more for certain lines. The big difference is that the Kenner figures were never assumed to be worth anything. People thought of them as toys. They didn't keep them packaged and in many cases threw them away when they were done with them. So mint figures are valuable because hardly anyone guessed anyone would want them. The same last wave limited numbers does definitely apply to the Kenner figures but on a more extreme scale because once again, people thought they were just toys.

When POTF2 hit, people assumed if they kept the figures in the package they would be worth a ton. They weren't, because everyone was doing it. TFA figures will be similar, tons of people like Zuvio here will be obsessed with value and rarity and think if they horde all these packaged figures they will be worth something. Zuvio is effectively driving the price and value down because packaged figures will be a dime a dozen.

The Kenner effect can't be replicated. It was a product of it's time and that knowledge we now have prevents circumstances from ever playing out the same way.

If you want value out of these figures, you have a narrow window on most. If you get the figure earlier than everyone else you can make a few bucks. If you get the last wave of a line, likewise. If you get a wave that was "skipped" like the Dagobah landing wave then yeah, you'll have value.

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, which figures were in the Degobah Landing wave, Maverick? I don't remember any waves being skipped except for those Build-A-Droid figures that eventually ended up on Amazon and the 2 astromechs (Mace Windu's R8 from TCW & the red R5 from Phantom Menace)

Reaction score
I'm using the term skipped loosely. They didn't get skipped but the previous wave was backed up that in many places it was skipped. The figures did show up again in places like 5 below or whatever that store was at discounted prices. Once again, that was regional though.

It had Luke, a new phase 1 clone trooper, at-rt driver, general lando, weequay (skiff master). I was definitely a blink you and miss it wave. Quite a few waves in the middle of TVC were like that.

I went to Target every day for a while, there was no thinking about it and coming back tomorrow. The wave right before Episode 1 was also rough. Ponda Baba was hard to find.

Reaction score
Saw this one at several of my local stores today (Atlanta, Peachtree Corners area) for the first time since Force Friday.

Reaction score
Reading through this thread I saw mention of the variations... one having a more pronounced hood-down sculpt and one not. Is there a way to tell by the number stamp on the back of the box?

I've seen two boxes... one with 52941, the other with 53071.

Reaction score
Reading through this thread I saw mention of the variations... one having a more pronounced hood-down sculpt and one not. Is there a way to tell by the number stamp on the back of the box?

I've seen two boxes... one with 52941, the other with 53071.
i don't have the boxes anymore but I can tell you that you can see the difference in the capes from the front too. The correct hood down one is glossier and has a much larger neck hole.

Reaction score
Mine is stamped: 51731, and came from HTS - it has the correct hood down scarf. This version of Ren really is a solid figure, just like the basic TFA figure - while I don't really like the Armor Up line, I'm glad I bought it.

Reaction score
Ok, got it. I that explains why they were i impossible to find for so long. I remember when the reports of them hitting were out, I took a road trip to find the Weequay. Hit 5 TFUs, 6 targets, 6 Walmart, and 2 or 3 Kmarts and nothing. I was so disappointed. A couple days later, my partner came home from an out-of-town wedding and told me he stopped at the store and grabbed me a Star Wars figure he knew I'd been looking for, and pulled a Weequay out of his bag for me! That will always be one of my favorite collecting memories.

Reaction score
Mine is stamped: 51731, and came from HTS - it has the correct hood down scarf. This version of Ren really is a solid figure, just like the basic TFA figure - while I don't really like the Armor Up line, I'm glad I bought it.

Mine is hood down scarf too. 51871. I have to say, the white paintwork around the lower front depicting the snow speckles looks a bit dubious though from a nit-picking point-of-view.

Reaction score
I passed on this guy because of the price and I assumed he would have his hood up for most of the movie. Seems the opposite was the case. I'm torn, I want this guy but do I overpay or wait in the hopes that he'll be released on regular card...

Reaction score
I guess I'm in the same boat as a lot of people. I passed on this guy because I didn't inspect him and see he was actually a different figure. So I passed because the price and sameness at the time, but now knowing not only was he different, but basically the more recognizable version in the film, I'd love to have him. I haven't seen one since Force Friday though.

Reaction score
Same here. Didn't realize it would be somewhat special when i purchased it. The armor-up bit made it more appealing to me and i couldn't resist.