Krypton - Syfy

GNT

Reaction score

Syfy’s Krypton Series to Follow Superman’s Grandfather

DC Comics’ hold on television properties continues to expand today with the announcement that Syfy is moving forward with “Krypton,” a new television series that will explore the history of Superman’s ill-fated birth planet.

Hailing from DC Comics and Warner Horizon Television, “Krypton” will follow Kal-El’s grandfather with the following official description:

Years before the Superman legend we know, the House of El was shamed and ostracized. This series follows The Man of Steel’s grandfather as he brings hope and equality to Krypton, turning a planet in disarray into one worthy of giving birth to the greatest Super Hero ever known.

The idea for “Krypton” originated with The Dark Knight scribe David S. Goyer and Ian Goldberg (“Once Upon a Time”). Goldberg is set to draft the pilot with Goyer attached to executive produce.

In the late 1980′s, John Byrne scripted a comic book miniseries called “The World of Krypton.” It introduced a version of Kal-El’s paternal grandfather named Seyg-El (named for Superman co-creator Jerry Siegel). There’s no word yet on whether or not the new series will keep that name, however.

“Krypton” joins a rapidly expanding slate of DC Comics properties which already includes The CW’s “Arrow” and “The Flash,” FOX’s “Gotham” and NBC’s “Constantine.” En route to CBS is “Supergirl” with TNT developing the “Teen Titans”-inspired “Titans.”

Reaction score
This the first time i feel that there are too many superhero tv shows.

Reaction score
with how dull Gotham was before I stopped watching it, I think I will pass on this. It sounds a bit too like Caprica. "Here's what happened politically on this planet before anything that you really want to see happened."

Reaction score
just the fact its on syfy makes me worry. considering they are the channel that should be representing science fiction they make the worst most damaging moronic cringe worthy stuff I have ever seen in the name of sci fi. BUT I hope its a good show, just nothing fills me with less confidence that seeing the syfy logo.

Reaction score
This the first time i feel that there are too many superhero tv shows.
Not sure it really counts as a "superhero show"... Kryptonians on Krypton are just regular humans. They just have advanced tech.

Is this within the movie continuity?
Probably not, since none of the other TV shows are, and the Krypton we saw in MoS is probably a bit too ambitious for SyFy's generally lousy budgets.

Reaction score
Hard pass. Especially considering how quickly I got bored of Gotham.

Reaction score
Yeah this just seems like a rehash of Gotham, Boring part two! Plus, who really wants to know about Grandpa El? Granted the story sounds interesting, but with SyPhy at the helm.... It will be just another one of those Sharknado type movies.

And as Toon says. On Krypton they're just normal folk like you and I. I'm not holding my breath with this.

Reaction score
If it was on another channel, had a decent budget and was in movie continuity I'd definitely be excited. I loved Man of Steel's version of Krypton. It was one of the most interesting takes on the planet yet and I wanted it to have more screen time. But I agree with everyone else that this will most likely suck and be cancelled after a season or two.

Reaction score
Yeah this just seems like a rehash of Gotham, Boring part two! Plus, who really wants to know about Grandpa El? Granted the story sounds interesting, but with SyPhy at the helm.... It will be just another one of those Sharknado type movies.

And as Toon says. On Krypton they're just normal folk like you and I. I'm not holding my breath with this.
At least they will have more flexibility than Gotham.

Reaction score
Why are there so many SyFy haters? Not everything on there is that bad.
Budget, mostly, and some of their practices (the rebranding as "SyFy" to not seem like such a niche nerd channel... that was right around the time "nerd culture" really blossomed, of course, making them look out of touch; also, filling so much of their prime-time programming with pro-wrestling, crappy reality shows, and hardly making use of any of the library of sci-fi TV they should've had dibs on except during daytime hours when few were watching).

But then the good stuff usually suffers from budget constraints, like BSG... and it was sad to see enjoyable shows like Eureka and Warehouse 13 go, but I'm not sure that was SyFy saying "enough" or whether it was the show runners saying "let's end it before things go bad", or what.

Reaction score
I'm not saying they're totally bad, nor all of their programming. But I hold them in the same esteem as I do with Fox. The "good" shows don't last, or the ones you want to be good don't get the best treatment.

Reaction score
they seem to proudly make the dumbest movies that have ever been made. they don't seem like they even remotely attempt to make good films, just a small budget or bad FX doesnt make a movie bad to me, I haven't seen a syfy film yet that seemed to remotely have any ambition or desire to deliver any quality. their tv shows are better than their films but the few shows ive liked were cancelled pretty fast, and im not sure ive loved any of the shows yet.

and obviously as a network they have to do what makes them money and keeps the station running and maybe a majority of people don't want what I want. but I would like a channel that tries to make good original content and otherwise plays all the treasures of the last 7 decades of science fiction tv and film. instead of wrestling I would rather see old episodes of time tunnel or something, do nights of all the little forgotten but interesting sci fi shows from the 60s 70s and 80s that only had a season or two.

again im sure im in a small minority here but its one of these things that drives me crazy whether its fim tv or music. to know there are hundreds maybe thousands of tv shows from the last decades that might have been good, but were not immediate hits and were cancelled. but those tv shows exist, they are locked up somewhere. nobody remembers them, or the very few that do have no way of ever watching them again. to me a specialty channel like this should be showing those things and letting them finally see the light of day. some of my favorite shows when I was a kid seemed to have vanished and I spent years and years trying to track them down and now I finally have VOYAGERS, DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS mini series and ROBIN OF SHERWOOD mini series all on official dvd, but for a long time I couldn't find them at all anywhere. I just found out wizards and warriors is now available. now I wonder about all the other shows that haven't been released in some way. to me syfy should be a specialty channel and should show stuff like this.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Those bad movies are 100% intentional. They're not from bad planning or budget issues. They're throw-backs. "Sharknado" and "Megashark" harken back to things like "Them!" (1954) and others in that genre of early sci-fi films. They're new "Saturday matinee" style movies. That's what they were always intended to be.

SyFy has recently realized they moved away from their roots too far, and are now working to come back where they belong. They've come out and stated that shows like "The Walking Dead" should be on SyFy, because that's what they got into the business for.

Now, all that said, I don't know about this show. I think the comparison to "Caprica" was probably apt. It's the prequel story that no one really cares about. It might be a great little show - people scoffed that the cheesy 70s STAR WARS ripoff - "Battlestar Galactica" - was being remade. Whether or not you liked the story of the series, there can really be no question about the network's commitment to quality on that. (I, personally, love every bit of that series).

CAN SyFy do it? I have absolutely no doubt. SHOULD they be doing it?

We'll see.

Reaction score
Or a little gem like Spacehunter! I sure wish they'd give that movie the BD treatment! They do it for so many others.

I'm not against movies like "Sharknado" or Megashark", as I know why those are being made. BUt I do have a problem with them sneaking that theme into something that should be taken more seriously.

Reaction score
WWE Smackdown is SyFy's highest rated show by far, so while some of you may not be fans (and that's fine) it is bringing the network money they can put towards other shows/movies that are more sci-fi

Reaction score
WWE Smackdown is SyFy's highest rated show by far, so while some of you may not be fans (and that's fine) it is bringing the network money they can put towards other shows/movies that are more sci-fi
I understand those reasonings, but it's like airing NFL Monday Night Football on the soap opera channel. WWE has nothing to do with the kind of programming you'd expect on a sci-fi network.

Reaction score
Maybe they should have launched a sister channel for WWE programming. Same thing that other Networks do.
I honestly can't remember the last time I watched that channel. Ever since their diversion into hard core wresting and other shows that don't interest me, I gave up on them.

Reaction score
Maybe they should have launched a sister channel for WWE programming. Same thing that other Networks do.
I honestly can't remember the last time I watched that channel. Ever since their diversion into hard core wresting and other shows that don't interest me, I gave up on them.
I watch Face Off on there pretty frequently. But even though I like that show, they need to get away from those reality/competitions shows. There are, last I knew, at least 4 of them on there.

Reaction score
That many? The only ones I had interest in were the Jim Henson Creature Shop challenge and, briefly, Face Off (I only watched the most recent season of that one, and lost interest midway thru because of the cheesy reality-show editing/pacing of it, to create "drama"). I'll watch the Creature Shop one every year if they make more; tho its format was largely copied from Face Off, and the same"drama" edits were used, I loved seeing the creatures, and the process. More of the process would be good to see, rather than the people just complaining to the camera about how screwed they are in that week's challenge or how their teammates are dropping the ball...

Reaction score
What is wrong with 4 seasons? I don't understand this obsession with shows longer than 4-5seasons.

Reaction score
What is wrong with 4 seasons? I don't understand this obsession with shows longer than 4-5seasons.
It's not four or five seasons that's the main issue. With SyFy, they always seem to cancel a show right when it hits its "stride". I really don't want a show to go on season after season after season but when it's at its peak and its canceled, it just really sets fire to my culo!!! SyFy is so infamous for doing just that!!!

Reaction score
It's not four or five seasons that's the main issue. With SyFy, they always seem to cancel a show right when it hits its "stride". I really don't want a show to go on season after season after season but when it's at its peak and its canceled, it just really sets fire to my culo!!! SyFy is so infamous for doing just that!!!
Excellent post! I completely agree!!!

Reaction score
It's not SyFY, but the 4400 was a perfect example of a show ending too early! I myself don't mind short seasons either. What does bother me is ending it w/o a proper ending, or ending it because you just gave up on the show. *cough*Firefly*caugh*!

Reaction score
for me personally there are a lot of shows I have liked that im glad went further than 4 or so seasons. why would I not want a show I like to last, and usually to me it does take 3 or 4 seasons for most of them to hit their stride. and more of the shows are starting these short seasons with long breaks and by the time they end with 5 or 7 seasons I still feel like im waiting for half of the show to air, they don't feel anywhere near finished to me.

Reaction score
Oh, they're still going forward with this? Considering Supergirl is going strong, and just added Superman to the cast. I think this will be a letdown. After all, on Krypton they're nothing special. So it ill be like watching just another show about regular people.

That said, it might be nice to explore their origins of how they spread across the stars. Although this won't have any ties with MoS, so...

Reaction score
Oh, they're still going forward with this? Considering Supergirl is going strong, and just added Superman to the cast. I think this will be a letdown. After all, on Krypton they're nothing special. So it ill be like watching just another show about regular people.

That said, it might be nice to explore their origins of how they spread across the stars. Although this won't have any ties with MoS, so...
It depends on the talent and the writing. i hope it will have at least one great season.

Reaction score
Nope, it was taken down long before i could watch it. Really wanted to see it though, to get sense of it. I just don't see how a series about Kal's grandpa could be relevant.
People want to see Superman, he's got Powers because of Earth's Sun. What makes Kryptonians anything special without it? We already know that they ruined their World.

Also if it has no connection to Supergirl on CW, or even MoS movies. Then it's just a random show.

Reaction score
Nope, it was taken down long before i could watch it. Really wanted to see it though, to get sense of it. I just don't see how a series about Kal's grandpa could be relevant.
People want to see Superman, he's got Powers because of Earth's Sun. What makes Kryptonians anything special without it? We already know that they ruined their World.

Also if it has no connection to Supergirl on CW, or even MoS movies. Then it's just a random show.
Bottom left at 40 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv8RT_CX8z4

Reaction score
Looks ingesting, I'll say that much. Also a shocker that it's connected to the DCEU, and almost a let down that it is. Considering their track record. Tat said I'll watch the pilot to see what it's about.

Though I think i had more fun watching the kid's reaction to the trailer!