Klatooinian Raider - VC#***

GNT

Reaction score
Hasbro have announced that we‘ll be seeing a Klatooinian Raider (Mandalorian s1) in the Vintage Collection. The Klatooinian Raider is in the pipeline for a future wave.

No picture of the figure just yet.

Will you be purchasing this figure?

1649277670739.jpeg

Reaction score
So.... are we all assuming this is a carded version of the figure from the AT-ST or are we thinking this will be something else? I see the picture and realize it's different from what was already kitbashed... but does that matter to Hasbro?

Reaction score
I'm hoping they're actually making the pictured raider. That one seemed to be the leader and he was most prominently featured in the episode. It would have to be a significant retool or new sculpt though compared to the AT-ST pack-in.

That said, they're probably going to cheap out and just repack the existing figure.

Reaction score
I hope that it's a different character, after all it wouldn't be that difficult or costly. That said, I'll buy one or two either way simply because it's cheaper than having to buy an $80 vehicle to get it and I'm always in need of background aliens as well as fodder.

Reaction score
I'd be really surprised if they retooled the existing figure into a new character (and utterly shocked if it were brand new) - these place marker images don't mean much of anything as a true indication. The previous figure was fantastic though, so I'd happily welcome a retool / repaint to make another unique character, but Hasbro will probably go the cheap route. I'd actually like the sculpt to be retooled into a Sanyassan Marauder, but that's asking too much of Hasbro, considering they can't even cover movies properly anymore.

Reaction score
Hope this is at least slightly different from the original version. Don't mind a little kitbashing, but please don't just re-release the same one!

Reaction score
I'm down for a couple of these guys, as the one lone one needs some company

Reaction score
I always like it when one group wants the figure for its intended identity, others go for customs and someone else repurposes it for a totally different scene. This, along with a catalogue spanning back 44 years, makes for an anomaly in collecting media-based toys.

Reaction score
Maybe Hasbro will surprise us and put some new tooling budget into this figure. It would be worth it because they could rerelease it in a troop building pack later on.

Reaction score
Based on extrapolating from Tunghori's website, it seems this might be a straight re-issue of the AT-ST pack-in.

Reaction score
Near the greatest snow on Earth. (SLC, UT)
The image in the Pipeline reveal is of the Klatooinian Raider Leader, the one wearing what looks like a durag.

VC Klatooinian Raider (TM) Pipeline Reveal.jpg

It's taken from this image in Chapter 4

Klatooinian Raider Leader.jpg

The one from the AT-ST Raider is not readily visible in the episode, but seems to be mostly based on this Brian Matyas concept art.

VC AT-ST Klatooinian Raider.jpg Klatooinian Raider Concept Art.jpg

So either they put the wrong image in the pipeline reveal and the figure is a straight repack of the AT-ST version, or this is a completely new figure based on the leader of the raiders.

Reaction score
Hasbro seems to have been quite deliberate about the images they choose to use for the pipeline reveals. I don't think they would have shown the Klaatooinian leader from Sorgun if they intended to offer a different raider. But Etain brought up a good point - the raider that was packed with the AT-ST was never really visible on camera in that chapter of The Mandalorian. There's also the sticking point that the vehicle only had one figure packed in, when it's manned by two drivers. That pack-in figure was actually a bit of a kit-bash. The legs and chest were sourced from tooling for the TVC Weequay.

The Klaatooinians have been showing up a bunch in both The Mandalorian and The Book of Boba Fett. Getting more of them into circulation isn't a bad thing. And maybe in the process Hasbro can also tackle Barada! The one modern era sculpt of Barada dates back to a POTF2 era multipack.

Reaction score
Well I would base the pipeline images on anything tangible as the one used for the Death Watch figure was wrong/inaccurate.

Truthfully though it wouldn't take much to create a different character by simply tooling a new head (image accurate) and harness. The AT=ST figure was greenish where as the one pictures is more of a grayish with spots so it would be cool if they could pull off that look. Especially since it seems were not about to get a spotted Ewok nay time soon!

And frankly I feel they are leaving Money on the table by not doing more backgrounders, with all the different Klatooinians we've seen they could literally tool up ten different heads an put them on existing bodies with slight variance in accessory. Same with the Aqualish and Trandoshans.

Reaction score
Those arms are from the TVC Weequay as well, they basically used the entire body, and then sculpted a new outfit to slip over the old sculpt. It's one of the best retools they've ever done in my opinion. I have little confidence in their photos corresponding to an exact figure likeness, when they're not using an actual character name. I highly doubt it will be a brand new sculpt in any case, if it's not a repack / repaint, I'm willing to bet they'll go the same route and do a retool. If the Kenner 96 are mostly partial retools, it makes sense that the vast majority of backgrounders from any era will also be, unless they don't have compatible parts, and in that case, they'd probably not release said character. If its indeed the Klatooinian Raider Captain, I'd happily welcome it, though he'd need more retooling than the AT-ST Raider release.

Reaction score
I wouldn’t mind getting that particular figure since I’m not going to buy that AT-ST to get him. But the photographed character is just as enticing.

Reaction score
Near the greatest snow on Earth. (SLC, UT)
Well I would base the pipeline images on anything tangible as the one used for the Death Watch figure was wrong/inaccurate.
It wasn't. The pipeline reveal image was always of the Mando DW Airborne Trooper from TCW, but when the DW Mando from The Mandalorian was revealed as part of Wave 10 many assumed incorrectly that it was the pipeline figure. It never was, as confirmed by Emily in one of the Q&A's. Offhand I can't think of a single pipeline image that turned out to be different than the actual figure.

Reaction score
Um, technically that image is still inaccurate to the actual TCW figure they revealed. Although it only showed the upper areas so we don't really know for sure if they based it on an actual character from the show but from what I remember none of the Mando Warriors legs looked like that.

Reaction score
I’ll get 4 of this guy for my Mandalorian display, sail barge, Jabba’s palace and Boba’s throne room. I’ll repaint them to add variety.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It's weird to me that I see a pitbull in that first photo yet don't really see or get that vibe from the already released figure or the artwork that is it's apparent source. I don't pick up pitbull in the Barada figure either (or I guess any of that species) except the one in GNT's first post. It doesn't make me like or dislike the potential figure really, but it's just such a strong connection in that one photo.

Reaction score
Yeah the raider leader from ep4 was much more doglike than most Klatooinians. Rotj was especially more subtle. I felt the Mos Espa leader guy was also very bulldog-esque

Reaction score
Not sure what you're talking about as they look pretty close to me. Not perfect, but close enough.

View attachment 418969
Um yeah I know, as I've already stated. But this has no bearing on the Klatooinian as we've not gotten the figure yet, I'm just saying it can be open for interpretation and that we possibly won't get 100% what's pictured for it. That's all.

Name wise none of them had names so it's not Like Hasbro can say specifically which character it is by name, by simply using Klatooinian it does cause for some confusion on whether its a repack or new character. They could have said right then whether it was or not, instead we'll just have to wait until it's finally revealed. Same way we had to wait to find out if ESB Yoda Pipeline was a reissue or potentially new sculpt, or even a retool. Because frankly at this point Yoda needs updating.

Reaction score
The first time I saw the Klatooinian captain, I immediately thought of the Uruk-Hai from LOTR, as it looked more like a monster than a SW alien. It would be cool if they sculpted a new likeness to add some more variety to the species in action figure form. I spotted this image on google, shows a bit more of the detail on his outfit - if they sculpted a new head, chest / shoulder armor, as well as a new belt / skirt, they could possibly add it to an existing sculpt, like they did for the previous release. Perhaps the Weequay Skiff Master? That was a bulky figure and also has a detailed pattern on the shirt. Perhaps even the gauntlet / bracers and shin armor on the Knight of Ren could be used. Out of the TVC catalog of sculpts, I'm not sure there are many figures that would be close enough to re-purpose.

91d7c4de3651bca137a610144b17cd2b.png

Reaction score
Yeah in a Galaxy where repulsor lifts/sleds or whatever they're called exist those seem very out of place.

Reaction score
The first time I saw the Klatooinian captain, I immediately thought of the Uruk-Hai from LOTR, as it looked more like a monster than a SW alien. It would be cool if they sculpted a new likeness to add some more variety to the species in action figure form. I spotted this image on google, shows a bit more of the detail on his outfit - if they sculpted a new head, chest / shoulder armor, as well as a new belt / skirt, they could possibly add it to an existing sculpt, like they did for the previous release. Perhaps the Weequay Skiff Master? That was a bulky figure and also has a detailed pattern on the shirt. Perhaps even the gauntlet / bracers and shin armor on the Knight of Ren could be used. Out of the TVC catalog of sculpts, I'm not sure there are many figures that would be close enough to re-purpose.

91d7c4de3651bca137a610144b17cd2b.png
It's funny you would say that. Because the actor who played the Klatooinian captain was Sala Baker. He also played numerous roles in the LOTR trilogy, including an Uruk-Hai!

Casting like that actually makes quite a bit of sense. Actors who do mask work like this are in kind of a niche.

Reaction score
If this is new I’ll of course buy one for sure. If it’s the pack-in re-release, I’ll pass, as I already have one.

Reaction score
Shame it's the same, as I'd be happy to add a bit of variety with a variant, but its worthy of a repack, as its one of the most creative figures they've done in the last few years. I'll probably buy one to customize.

Reaction score
I would’ve bet my entire collection that it’s a repack. That was a certainty.

Reaction score
Well, it's good to know they are rereleasing that figure, even though an all new figure of the Raider chief would have been preferred. I wanted to get a second Raider, but they are going for ridiculous amounts of money on eBay.

It'll be cool to get a carded version also, so I will definitely get at least two.

However, if they use the Raider chief for the cardback photo, then that will show that Hasbro doesn't know, or care, about the differences between the two characters.

Reaction score
Yes, this allows everyone a chance to get one.