Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Custom Toy/Model - WIP

Reaction score
^
You ever thought about investing in one of these Wolff? It might save some wear and tear on your hands.

dremel_moto_saw_12.jpg

Reaction score
^
You ever thought about investing in one of these Wolff? It might save some wear and tear on your hands.

Thanks for the tipp.
I personally think a cutter is more precise. I have a "scroll saw" (is that how you call it??), but nearly never use it. The styrene boards are 0,75 mm....it will melt and wind up into the saw....anyway....I love my cutter ;)

UPDATE:

http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/my-collection/customs/khetanna/#rear

Some various pictures from the process.
The rear was cut into two parts.
The door was cut
The boarders were covered with Styrene (not finished yet) and the final shape of the rear was made
I started making the engines now waiting for the lights.
The ceiling was planned as well as the problematic (problem with the space) part with: Hatch, cannon, mast and the middle hatch.
Some parts were made (not finished yet): walls for the bridge, a pillar, the round part for the rear and the middle hatch.

khetanna_080.jpg

khetanna_083.jpg

khetanna_084.jpg

khetanna_088.jpg

khetanna_089.jpg

khetanna_090.jpg

Reaction score
Man, this is becoming more awesome with each post. How did you get the little panels with the horizontal slits in picture 4 so clean looking? Not with a cutting knife, right?

Last edited:
Reaction score
^
Wow. You are not taking any shortcuts with this beauty.

I try...but I made cuts..believe me...but good nobody is noticing :p

Man, this is becoming more awesome with each post. How did you get the little panels with the horizontal slits in picture 4 so clean looking? Not with a cutting knife, right?

I used a drill for the holes and the middle part was cut out (in this case with a broach...excuse me if this is the wrong word?!?!?). Everything you see is "handmade". I have no 3d printer or sth like that...so I have to go the hard route...LOL

I even made a picture of it but forgot to upload it.....so hope this helps and thanks for the reminder.

khetanna_091.jpg

Reaction score
I have been keeping up with this build for awhile. Thought it would be time to comment, so....
WOW! This is just getting better all of the time! I love the dedication that you have for this sail barge!
Nice work!!

Reaction score
Thank you!! The ceiling is nearly finished. I personally love it. I had to make some cuts because of the size, but looks pretty good IMO.

The paneling of the wall will follow as soon as the windows are made....it is easier to wait for windows and then make the paneling matching then the other way around ;)

More pictures:
http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/my-collection/customs/khetanna/#16june2013

khetanna_109.jpg

khetanna_112.jpg

khetanna_114.jpg

khetanna_116.jpg

khetanna_115.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is just amazing! I think this is without doubt gonna be the best sailbarge up to date. The level of details and overall accuracy of work so far is most impressive! This makes me whant at least finish the sailsbarge figure collection and in a decent future hope to atempt making something similar. Can't wait for the updates!

Reaction score
Wow...thank you for the very nice words. :awesome:

Sorry for the delay on the updates. I am working on several parts right now which needed to be done simultaneously, because of the two parts the rear is made of (everything has to fit exactly...a bit complicated). You can see more pictures here:

http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/my-collection/customs/khetanna/#27june2013

khetanna_118.jpg

khetanna_120.jpg

khetanna_122.jpg

khetanna_123.jpg

khetanna_128.jpg

khetanna_129.jpg

khetanna_132.jpg

khetanna_124.jpg

Hope you like the progress so far. :p

Reaction score
Thanks for the latest update. It is just getting more and more awesome with every update.

The only thing that has looked a little dodgy so far and could use some work is that arching arm rest thing that curves around Jabba's dais. I might be criticizing too soon though and it still might be a WIP.

Reaction score
Thanks for the latest update. It is just getting more and more awesome with every update.

The only thing that has looked a little dodgy so far and could use some work is that arching arm rest thing that curves around Jabba's dais. I might be criticizing too soon though and it still might be a WIP.

Well.....I suck in sculpting...I agree! :D

On the other hand there is not much known about that "armthing" on the barge.

barge110.jpg

You can see I tried to copy the "control panel". The rest is just a "waxy" backrest. I assume even without the holes (which makes it even look more ugly). So I gave it some holes like on the palace throne....not sure what else I could do?!?!?!

The surface and form will be better in the end....but the main sculpt is like it is.....sadly....

Last edited:
Reaction score
The control panel part is perfect. Its the backrest that needs some refining. If you can smooth it out, maybe add some ornate carvings on it or something it will be good as gold.

Reaction score
The control panel part is perfect. Its the backrest that needs some refining. If you can smooth it out, maybe add some ornate carvings on it or something it will be good as gold.

hmmmm..."ornate carvings" sounds brilliant.....let me think about sth! Thanks for the tipp and the constructive criticism! :awesome:

Reaction score
Update:
http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/my-collection/customs/khetanna/#28june2013

This time: Some of the artwork on the barge! I plan to get two pieces in there:
1. The Jabba sculpture/relief
2. The Rancor statue

bragea10.jpg

I never used Fimo before (okay...as a child maybe), but I am happy with it for now. Still a long way to go on the Rancor...and I know that the physiognomie is not really accurate but it does the job for me :D (First time I try sth like this.....sculpting is really hard work...wow....)

khetanna_133.jpg

khetanna_134.jpg

Stupid me.....I forgot the money bag in his hand....DOHHHHHHH!

Rancor Statue (WIP)
khetanna_135.jpg

khetanna_136.jpg

Hope you like it! :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
You did well for your first Fimo job! To get it a little bit smoother, it helps to take a soft flat paintbrush and gently brush some alchohol over your sculpt, before baking. You will see it melts the surface just a little bit, taking away the sharp little crumbs and pressure marks left by your sculpting tools. Good work!

Last edited:

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
OMG, amazing! I didn't realize how many details of the the inner barge I was unaware of! Fantastic, fantastic work!

Reaction score
Thanks for the kudos guys! I am really happy you like it!

You did well for your first Fimo job! To get it a little bit smoother, it helps to take a soft flat paintbrush and gently brush some alchohol over your sculpt, before baking. You will see it melts the surface just a little bit, taking away the sharp little crumbs and pressure marks left by your sculpting tools. Good work!

That is a great tip...I will try this...shame it is too late for some parts...LOL :D

Thank you!!

Reaction score
...For real, Hasbro. I'm not even asking for THIS level of detail on the inside. Make the damn thing hollow.

This is just so AWESOME. I can't wait to see the final product.

Reaction score
Thanks for the kudos guys! I am really happy you like it!

That is a great tip...I will try this...shame it is too late for some parts...LOL :D

Thank you!!

Its never too late to go back to the drawing board...it is just a question of motivation and how important it is to you. i have thrown out whole projects before that were not going as I had planned.

Reaction score
Thank you again guys!!! :D

Its never too late to go back to the drawing board...it is just a question of motivation and how important it is to you. i have thrown out whole projects before that were not going as I had planned.

...I agree, but I also think there is "perfect projects" and "finished projects". ;) :D
I guess you know what I mean. just lets get this finished before it gets one of those projects that will be never finished. It is "just" a little piece of interieur.
And also: I know, the most annoying parts are those where you say: OMG...why haven't I changed this in the beginning??? Well I did sth to prevent me from that: The ship will be detachable. I will be able to repair and enhance every part I want to over the years ;)

UPDATE:

The Interieur in the making. I really underestimated this time eating job. Gargoyles there, a Rancor statue here, paneling all over, pillows for the throne and carvings on Jabba's "armthing"....etc
Problems all over:
-The armthing was already glued to the throne when I decided to give it some cravings and the "Hutt symbol". I tried to remove it and it broke into several pieces. Now I have to carve the symbols while it is glued to the throne. Not so easy and the material is not really ideal.
- The pillows were finsihed and the glued to the throne. I the noticed that Jabba doesnt fit in there anymore because of the ceiling. So I had to sculpt those again while they are glued to the throne. Same material...not really ideal.
- The Rancor got several cracks because I obviously had him too often in the oven. Not sure if I try to go on or stop at this point before it is getting dust ?!?!?! Anyway...the alcohol tip worked. Thanks!

More pictures:
http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/my-collection/customs/khetanna/#03july2013

khetanna_137.jpg

khetanna_139.jpg

khetanna_140.jpg

khetanna_142.jpg

khetanna_141.jpg

khetanna_143.jpg

khetanna_144.jpg

khetanna_145.jpg

I really hope you like it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Looking great as always, good to hear the alcohol tip worked for you. It's strange your Rancor is getting cracks. Did you use anything hard like metal, or epoxy, for the armature? I don't think the fimo cracks because of the heat, but rather of the cooling down afterwards, it might help if you let it cool slowly in the oven, once that's turned of (no guarantees of course). Heat doesn't damage fimo, as long as you keep it at arounf 100 to 140 degrees celcius, so don't worry about the rancor turning to dust. You could also work some fimo in the cracks and brush the excess away with some alcohol, fimo adheres great to itself. Anyway, keep up the good work man, I love how some of your pictures look like they're taken inside a full scale movie set.

Reaction score
Looking great as always, good to hear the alcohol tip worked for you. It's strange your Rancor is getting cracks. Did you use anything hard like metal, or epoxy, for the armature? I don't think the fimo cracks because of the heat, but rather of the cooling down afterwards, it might help if you let it cool slowly in the oven, once that's turned of (no guarantees of course). Heat doesn't damage fimo, as long as you keep it at arounf 100 to 140 degrees celcius, so don't worry about the rancor turning to dust. You could also work some fimo in the cracks and brush the excess away with some alcohol, fimo adheres great to itself. Anyway, keep up the good work man, I love how some of your pictures look like they're taken inside a full scale movie set.

Yeah I thought of the metal too inside. But I also have very small cracks in the face were I enhanced a bit afterwards. What is typical is that the oldest parts break first. These were probably 5 hours in the oven (in total of course, 100 celcius). I baked it 10 times or so....it is a pain to sculpt an arm and then go on with a leg an ruin the arm because you got your clumsy fingers up there...LOL....so I baked every step I did.
No problem with the cracks I guess then, thanks for the advices. Im still thinking of making the head totally new because it is simply too big. On the other hand It will be waaay back of the inside?!?!?

I have another question: Is it possible to paint it with "certain" colors and then maybe finish it with some Fimo details and bake it again?? I need to see it in grey or sth like that to decide if it's fine for me. But I am afriad the colors will get bubbles in the oven or even worse react with the Fimo in some way. Any experiences??

Last edited:
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend using fimo over paint, since I'm not sure if it will stick. If you don't overcook it, I guess putting a painted sculpt in the oven shouldn't affect the paint in theory, but I wouldn't risk it. Maybe the heat will release some solvents in the fimo and make the paint go mushy, you never know. It's better to buy a different color of Fimo for your next sculpt, like grey. Your skin colored fimo looks a little translucent, which makes it hard to see the finer details, but not all colors are like that. Here's a little tip, that may sound crazy. To give my sculpts a more plastic feel, I spray the final sculpt with automotive putty. It takes away some of the detail, but ties the sculpt together and actually make it look like plastic cast in a steel injection mold. Be sure it's the last thing you do, if you spray it twice the effect is too much. And test it first, before you decide you like the effect.

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I will think of it and go on with the Rancor later. For now I am trying to finish the "rougher" parts, like ceiling, floor, and the hull with the paneling. :D

Update:
http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/my-collection/customs/khetanna/#05july2013

First time all three parts (actually it is five parts) are screwed together. It doesnt fit 100% yet but I guess these smaller problems can be solved easily. And happy me: The windows are nearly done now! Only seven windows left from 42 in total (I am talking from the windows with the slits only...making them is pure pain...LOL).

khetanna_149.jpg

khetanna_150.jpg

khetanna_151.jpg

khetanna_152.jpg

Hope you like it. Have a great weekend! ;)

Reaction score
nothing short of amazing, love this work.
Thanks for the tips. I will think of it and go on with the Rancor later. For now I am trying to finish the "rougher" parts, like ceiling, floor, and the hull with the paneling. :D

Update:
http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/my-collection/customs/khetanna/#05july2013

First time all three parts (actually it is five parts) are screwed together. It doesnt fit 100% yet but I guess these smaller problems can be solved easily. And happy me: The windows are nearly done now! Only seven windows left from 42 in total (I am talking from the windows with the slits only...making them is pure pain...LOL).

khetanna_149.jpg

khetanna_150.jpg

khetanna_151.jpg

khetanna_152.jpg

Hope you like it. Have a great weekend! ;)

Reaction score
I don't like it. I LOVE IT!!!! :D Amazing work!
And I really like that you've got the Ishi Tib gargoyles too! Can't wait to see it finished!

Reaction score
I've seen some cool work on these forums...but this...mind = blown. o-o

Reaction score
I love that you are finishing the inside...and actually making the ceiling.

Reaction score
Hello Wolff, this whole WIP thread is awesome. I watched all of the pics on ythe SWspaceclub and nearly fainted due to neglect of breathing...
The most intruiging part is that every small step looks doable for myself. Only the scale of the project is scary.
I absolutely love this whole project, especially the play features, like opening hatches and so. Are you going to add lights?!
Funny: one the things that struck me was how you gave more structure to the pillars by glueing small strips of cardboard on them. Simple idea with great effect. The ceiling is amazing - you must display your Sail Barge (Khetanna) on chest levell when fnished, or you will never see the ceiling again ;-)
Thanks for sharing and good luck on tackling the final details, like the sail cover....

Reaction score
Oh wow. Again...thank you so much for your great feedback. I always love to read it :grin:

Hello Wolff, this whole WIP thread is awesome. I watched all of the pics on ythe SWspaceclub and nearly fainted due to neglect of breathing...
The most intruiging part is that every small step looks doable for myself. Only the scale of the project is scary.
I absolutely love this whole project, especially the play features, like opening hatches and so. Are you going to add lights?!
Funny: one the things that struck me was how you gave more structure to the pillars by glueing small strips of cardboard on them. Simple idea with great effect. The ceiling is amazing - you must display your Sail Barge (Khetanna) on chest levell when fnished, or you will never see the ceiling again ;-)
Thanks for sharing and good luck on tackling the final details, like the sail cover....

Thank you, but actually those stripes are not made out of cardboard (I wish it would have been cardboard). I bought edged ABS (1 x 1 cm) in a building supplies store and cut it down to 1,5 x 1,5 mm. It is actually edged "plastic" and no cardborad ;)

And the idea is not mine: It is movie accurate....at least a bit :whistling::p

213.jpg

;)

I just updated some pictures:
http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/my-collection/customs/khetanna/#19july2013

I decided to give the ship more lenght. In my opinion it looked way too stubby even for a toy. So I added 7,5 centimeters to the middle part and I think it looks way better now. Measurements are off I agree but without some changes Jabba wouldn't have fit inside.

khetanna_154.jpg

khetanna_155.jpg

Finally all windows are done...finally. I cannot tell you how happy I am right now because making all those windows was pure pain. Some facts (because I had fun counting those today):
It is 5 windows on the deck, 14 on the upper level and 28 on the level below, makes 47 windows with slits in total. 24 are fully movable.
To make those I needed to drill 938 holes, making 938 cuts and the needed to file and sand....and file and sand 469 slits.....it was really hard work.

http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/wp-content/blogs.dir/3/files/khetanna/khetanna_103.jpg
http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/wp-content/blogs.dir/3/files/khetanna/khetanna_104.jpg

I even found a way to improve the stability (was thinking long about this because it was already waaay too late as I noticed): high-grade steel wires glued to the windows. It is small enough to be not that distracting and it helps the windows not to bend while opening....or even worse: break into pieces. The construction of the windows is very thin (1,5 mm thick on the outside and the frame is about 1,5-2mm wide) and all the slits make it very instable.

khetanna_153.jpg

khetanna_156.jpg

...and now a beer for me...or make it two...cheers

Last edited:
Reaction score
Very nice. You could have easily just had the windows permanently in a fixed closed position but the extra effort is beautiful.

Thank you very much! (I hope you like the carving I added to the "armthing"?? At least it was your suggestion.... :D :D )

UPDATE:
http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/my-collection/customs/khetanna/#22july2013

I added the paneling of the hull over the weekend. Gives much to the look IMO.
The paneling and railing of the upper level has to wait. Next up is building the undersurface. Therefore I need to rotated the whole ship to work on it and want to preserve the deck from damage, thats why the whole deck has to wait.

khetanna_157.jpg

khetanna_158.jpg

khetanna_159.jpg

khetanna_161.jpg

Okay the door may be too complicated....therefore I hope it beeing nearly "invisble". :D

Thanks for looking

Wolff

Reaction score