Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Custom Toy/Model - WIP

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I try now to build the infamous Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge. My project is to make a "toy like" Khetanna, but also a "real" looking model. That means it will one meter long and will have several toy features (hatches, cockpit, Jabba's throne, canons, landing gear etc etc).
I am not sure if this is the right section here, but I will build also a diorama around that ship anyway when it is finished I guess :awesome:

You can read up more about the project here:
http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/my-collection/customs/khetanna/

I will also add all WIP progress pictures to that linked site.

This is the only solution it seems to have all pictures "in the first post" on RS :whistling: :grin:

khetanna_014.jpg

I hope you like the progress so far.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wow nice start Wolff, was allready wondering why you wanted to know, how he landing gear from skiff was operated in the inside.
This looks like it is going to be a massive project, looking forward to your updates as your progress.

Reaction score
Looking good Wolff, this is a project i will be following with great pleasure, btw that spaceclub of yours is a nice place to hang out .

Reaction score
Thank you all for the kudos.

Wow! The paneling looks really sharp!

Also, I don't recall having heard its name before.

Thank you. Thats why I prefer Styrene (compared to foamie or cardboard) :D

I havent heard the name either before I started my research...LOL

Wow nice start Wolff, was allready wondering why you wanted to know, how he landing gear from skiff was operated in the inside.
This looks like it is going to be a massive project, looking forward to your updates as your progress.

This is indeed a massive project. I am not sure when it will be finished or if it will be every finished...:whistling: :awesome:

Looking good Wolff, this is a project i will be following with great pleasure, btw that spaceclub of yours is a nice place to hang out .

Thank you. The spaceclub is a site from Shawn_K.
http://swspaceclub.com/

You can join there and will also get some webspace for your project(s) (for free) ;). Only the Variant Villain is my place I build up! ;)
http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/

Wow, looking great so far! I can't wait for updates.

Here you go: :awesome:

Update with some new pictures:

khetanna_020.jpg

khetanna_023.jpg

I hope you like it!

Last edited:
Reaction score
You're setting a new standard!

Say, where to you purchase Styrene in Germany and which brand is it being sold under?
I've been meaning to get into diorama making for a long time, but couldn't decide between balsa wood and styrene.

Reaction score
You're setting a new standard!

Say, where to you purchase Styrene in Germany and which brand is it being sold under?
I've been meaning to get into diorama making for a long time, but couldn't decide between balsa wood and styrene.

Thank you!

Why not using both?? :D :D ;)

I like Balsa too but it is too fragil and wood is a pain to get a smooth surface (because the wood fibers come up while spraying)

In Austria it is probably called the same then in Germany: "Polystyrol Platten". There is tons of ebay adverts:
polystyrol platte | eBay
I dont know any brand..though.

I work with 1mm or 3/4 mm. 2mm is much harder to cut!
You will surely find those also in "Bastel-Läden" or "Architektur Bedarf" ;)

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Incredibly precise and accurate! Setting the bar higher for us now :wub:

Reaction score
God, does this look amazing. Wish I had a fraction of the talent to pull this off. Seriously, AMAZING work.

Reaction score
it's just gorgeous in its early stages, and will be phenomenal once its completed !
please let me know once its boxed and ready to ship to my home
-2 of them please – chop-chop! :grin:

Last edited:
Reaction score
This already looks absolutely spectacular. Cannot WAIT for the final version!

Reaction score
The front is nearly finished now (the cockpit is still missing). So I will go on with the middle part now.

Holy crap, I thought you were JUST doing the front for a cool diorama-display.

THE MIDDLE PART?!?

Whooa! Can't wait to see the whole damn thing!!! WOW!!!

o-o
o-o
o-o

Reaction score
Thank you so much guys. Your feedback is much appreciated here!! :D

Holy crap, I thought you were JUST doing the front for a cool diorama-display.

THE MIDDLE PART?!?

Whooa! Can't wait to see the whole damn thing!!! WOW!!!

shock.png

shock.png

shock.png

You can read here what is planned....well planned doesnt mean I will make everything :oops: , but I will try my best :awesome::

...I may start stalking you so I can steal this. I mean, really, this is beautiful.

From a country far far away.....in a secrect place, I mean very secret place......the next update is presented:

:p :awesome: :grin:

The middle part in the making:

http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/my-collection/customs/khetanna/#themiddlepart

khetanna_054.jpg

khetanna_055.jpg

khetanna_056.jpg

khetanna_057.jpg

Now on to the interior..... :p

Reaction score
The panel work is amazing!

I wanna load it up with green women and go drinking with Ree-Yees.

kk1

Reaction score
Wow, inspiring. Always wanted to do this myself and you're making it look easy.

Reaction score
Absolutely amazing work. Very impressive and looking so forward to the complete product. Hasbro should take note.

Reaction score
Looking on your site, the links for all your other customs take you to the page of color variations of vintage figures.

Would love to see more of your work.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks again for the positive feedback. I hope to add some new pictures later today! :D

Looking on your site, the links for all your other customs take you to the page of color variations of vintage figures.

Would love to see more of your work.

Sorry, I just "installed" the custom section, mainly because of this project (Khetanna).

But there is threads here on RS where you can see my work so far.

My Dioramas:
http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1061860/

(If you want pictures from the building process you will find some threads here in the customizing section ;) )

My Death Star Hangar:
http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1075975/

not more yet.....oh...and my custom vintage figures...I guess the pictures are gone...sadly :(

Reaction score
Update: Making the hull of the rear.

http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/my-collection/customs/khetanna/#rear

Building the rear will be by farest the most difficult part of the hull. With Jabba's throne room inside and the demand for it beeing demountable afterwards makes this very complicated. It is also round and will have many break throughs for the windows....though
I first build a rough construction for the different levels which will be removed afterwards. I then glued some cardboard in to give this some stability. It was then coated with a styrene board. The whole hull from the rear is (like on the nose) made out of one board, which makes it perfect round...no gaps, no crossing. But after paneling and making the windows this will be cut horizontal. Afterwards there will be four parts which can be demounted any time. The front, the middle part (hull), Jabba's throne room (which is half in the middle part and half in the rear) and the lower part of the rear hull. Difficult to explain, but I guess you will recognize it when its done.

khetanna_070.jpg

khetanna_071.jpg

khetanna_077.jpg

More pictures:
http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/my-collection/customs/khetanna/#rear

Reaction score
this looks great, much talent you have!

you should have the mods merge your two threads so you dont have the same thing going in two areas.

Last edited:
Reaction score
OPEN MY EYES !! That's a dream !

Without the unfinished card bottom, the neck of the ship makes me feel that is an official prototype from hasbro ! But is a unique piece... BRAVO !! It's perfect !!

Reaction score
Amazing. If you don't mind me asking, how do you cut the plastic card into such clean parts? I've tried it in the past with an x-acto knife, but it slipped all across the plastic and I had to cut multiple times to get hrough, resulting in very unclean cuts.

Reaction score
This is so impressive it almost makes you forget the Barge also has a sail. I can't wait for the final result!

Reaction score
Someone please send this thread to Hasbro. They could learn a thing or two and perhaps even buy this for duplication. Amazing job and though the scale is smaller it's perfect for the action figure line and would be so worth the tooling to have this vehicle. Very well done. Can't wait to see the sail added.

GNT

Reaction score
Stumbled into this thread by mistake and I'm glad I did, that is beyond amazing work!

Reaction score
Thanks again for the amazing feedback guys.

The rear is more complicated then I would have thought! I have massive problems in some areas and I am not able to go on till I have solutions for them all. For now I am trying to define the finale shape on top and on the deck.
Changing the messurements now results in a problem of space with the canon, the hatch, the grills (light for the throne room) and the mast :(

I am also working at the engines at the moment and I have decided to get LED light into this which also needs some extra planing time :hmm:... :p

I will keep you updated as soon as there is sth to see of importance!

I also went out of glue and colors....:whistling:...need to wait for my ama*** package now :awesome:

you should have the mods merge your two threads so you dont have the same thing going in two areas.

I did this with full intend. I more home in the "diorama" section and I noticed that lots of people are only visiting the diorama or the customizing section (like myself). Also the project is not only building the ship, it will be also diorama like (the inside of the Khetanna and the landscape around it), so it fits well in both section I guess.

If the mods have any issues with this I would appreciate to leave the thread here (and maybe delete the other one). Thank you!

Cheers

Wolff

Last edited:
Reaction score
Amazing. If you don't mind me asking, how do you cut the plastic card into such clean parts? I've tried it in the past with an x-acto knife, but it slipped all across the plastic and I had to cut multiple times to get hrough, resulting in very unclean cuts.

It only looks clean :p. I am just kidding. I usually use such a cutter:
http://de.academic.ru/pictures/dewiki/50/220px-Cutter.jpg

I tend to buy the most expensive blades there is ;). You always need a ruler, strong hands (so that it is not slipping away) and never cut styrene at once. Leave your time and try to cut it several times till you are through. I also use only thinn styrene boards (0,75-1mm), because they are more easy to cut.

You can also just score the Styrene board and then break it.

And I sand every cut I make afterwards

I hope this helped!

Cheers

Wolff

Last edited: