Khetanna 1:18 with sarlacc pit

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I am an amateur diorama maker especially specialize on WW2 scenes based on real events or movie scenes. Also a fan of everything starts with star .... Starwars/startrek/stargate and all decent sci-fi.. I received a request from a starwars fan 4 months ago to build a 1:18 ( approx. ) scale model of khetanna with sarlacc pit ( reference to starwars 6 related scene khetanna+2 skiffs + sarlacc pit including all figurines ).
As I did not have so much documentation/blue prints/dimensions, it was quite a challenge to start.
I had to take approx. measures from photos, film snapshots etc. I had to improvise the compartements which were not visible in the film. the hasbro toy khetanna was hepfull only for hull design ( inside looks like playmobil.. with apologies to the fans who like it ).
So far so good. I finished almost except sails, main deck layout . Then I will start the final layer of paint and weathering.

It measures 210 x 50 x85 ... the wings and sails masts are removable. inside ( 8 compartements are illuminated with 3 separate switches. I think it's about 15/20 kgs. This is the first time I work with 1:18 scale. quite a difference jumping from 1:72 to 1:18......

IMG_1952.JPGIMG_1954.JPGI will post some pictures of my WIP for yr remarks . I hope u will like it..

Reaction score
The one thing I would dispute is your claim to be an “amateur diorama maker.” You’re a straight pro. When I win the lottery, you’re the first person I’m emailing.

Reaction score
hi everybody. I appreciate yr support and remarks. This project is a real challenge as I had no idea if I could come so far. First attempt on 1:18 scale. The most difficult part was to assemble different types of materials ( wood/hardboard paper/metal/plexy/polystrene) to find the way to glue to eachother and same color of paint reacts different on each material. Finally I arrived to the most delicate step.. weathering textures on the hull and main deck.... The sails in tissue are another issue .. I will see later. Though is out of subject starwars if anybody is interested with my previous dioramas u can visit my website : https://mb626911.wixsite.com/scale72 where I try to merge realworld in to 1:72 scale. If anybody liked saving private Ryan movie , u might be interested to see a real Omahabeach exit D1 sectors Charlie&Dog green and battle of Ramelle from saving private Ryan..IMG_1186.jpgIMG_1234.JPGBattle of  ramelle.JPGIMG_1595.JPGIMG_1604.JPGIMG_1605.JPGIMG_1609.JPGramelle.jpgramelle1.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
very tricky though. colors change regarding light directions.. its more reddish brown when not exposed to white light directly..

Reaction score
armory, 2 jail cells at the background with benches and beds, live storage processing and jabba's reception hall. unfortunately it's not easy to see extreme aft section of the reception hall with a sofa behind and a rancor statue on the pillar. ( have to look very close sideways .. )IMG_2004.JPGIMG_2005.JPGIMG_2006.JPG

Reaction score
That is absolutely amazing craftmanship! The engineering and design as well as the painting are just mind blowing. And those WWII sets are wonderful as well. Thanks for sharing! I see some Star Trek in the background too. ;) How many hours would you say you've put into this? And what do you use for some of the details for source material? Lots of interesting greeblies in there.

Reaction score
hi there. as a matter of fact I love startrek series, I always run them as background when I work on my models. a kind of syncro , keeps me focus better.. as I am retired now, I can afford abt 5 to 8 hours a day. depending the moments of inspiration..

Reaction score
I use everything that can be used. in my Ww2 dioramas, except some roof tiles , everything is hand crafted from wood,hardboard,plaster.. all the vegetation, trees,palm trees gravel,sand etc arenatural from my garden and the woods around. Same for khetanna.. there are many things are made of from unusual things such as buttons for shirts,screw heads, usb cables for mobile phones, extra parts from 1:72 scale Ww2 vehicules.. etc...

Reaction score
That's awesome, thanks for that! I also try to use stuff from my garden, at the end of the growing season I find that the roots of tomatoes and peppers are perfect for Dagobah swamp vines.

Reaction score
I actually would like to know how much the buyer was willing to spend to get this. It’s probably the best single fan Star Wars project I’ve ever seen, just for scale and detail.

Reaction score
I never give an advanced price for my dioramas/pieces. As this is my hobby I don't ask any benefit for my work ( only a small amount ) except the cost. The cost price depends how difficult the project is .( If I have to rebuild some parts multiple times untill I am satisfied with the result ) Basicly when it is done, I put the price tag for sale or if it is a preorder , I give the option the the potential buyer to accept the final price or not. Anyhow I am always very sad to let go what I build so if it's not sold , I just keep it. however until now, I couldnt keep one single piece..

Reaction score
Yesterday , I finished and installed the sail masts and sails. BUT the color of sails seems too dark and the structure does not feel right. So starting over.... I bought some new tissue with more orange/red color( close to ral 2002 ) and I have to build the structure again. This time I know what was wrong and I am sure the result will be satisfactory. estimated 4 days of additional work.

Reaction score
Please report back in four days! I’m nerding out over this thing! 🤓

Reaction score
Yesterday , I finished and installed the sail masts and sails. BUT the color of sails seems too dark and the structure does not feel right. So starting over.... I bought some new tissue with more orange/red color( close to ral 2002 ) and I have to build the structure again. This time I know what was wrong and I am sure the result will be satisfactory. estimated 4 days of additional work.
Damn, now that's commitment!

Reaction score
finally sails are done ... Khetanna is ready to sail. ......and most of the sarlacc ( except top layer and tentacles of sarlacc ). gonna put some new snapshots later this afternoon.Stay tuned ....

Reaction score
here latest snaphots
IMG_2038.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2040.JPG
    IMG_2040.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2041.JPG
    IMG_2041.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2042.JPG
    IMG_2042.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2043.JPG
    IMG_2043.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2044.JPG
    IMG_2044.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2053.JPG
    IMG_2053.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2054.JPG
    IMG_2054.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2057.JPG
    IMG_2057.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2058.JPG
    IMG_2058.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
Reaction score
It’s just beyond ridiculous. Wow. And I love the vintage Kenner figs as Barge riders!

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
The size!!! And that switch to the more orange sails was spot-on. Can't wait to see more from ya!