Justice League Movie!

Reaction score
Re: Justice League of America (Live-Action):

hmm that makes me curious who would end up being superman.
we could potentially have 3 different superman at once.

Reaction score

I know people get all tingly about Charisma Carpenter as Wonder Woman, but I don't buy it. She's too frail looking. Wonder Woman needs some definition in her arms and needs to be really tall. Over 6 feet, easily.

Heh, but back on topic...I'm perfectly satisfied with the recent animated Justice League that came out. Feature films are great for single characters or smaller groups, but when you start getting into big name groups like JLA, I'm skeptical.

Reaction score

Morena Baccarin should have been Wonder Woman. heels on the boots would have given her height, and she easily has the body for it. she also has the Mediterranean beauty essential for the role. she was perfect, but what do i know.

i'd like to see a JLA movie. as long as it doesn't turn out like X-Men.

Reaction score

Just maybe for once if we even get this movie well get Hal Jordan for the REAL Green Lantern. Geez enough with this Stewart guy or whatever his name is.

Reaction score

I think the 2 possible choices mentioned as WW will be good. The body composition can be changed with a good workout, as Hillary Swank in Million Dollar Baby.

Reaction score

DarthRavenger said:
Just maybe for once if we even get this movie well get Hal Jordan for the REAL Green Lantern. Geez enough with this Stewart guy or whatever his name is.
Please, give me a break! Alan Scott is the REAL Green Lantern!!!

Reaction score

As much as I realize why Stewart was brought in...

...and if they need a token (DONT TAKE OFFENSE), they can always add Black Lightning, but there is only ONE green Lantern Corpsman for Earth and that is:

Reaction score

Considering outside of big GL comic fans, the only exposure most have to Green Lantern is in the Justice League cartoon, they might as well keep Stewart. Stewart was a GL in the comic at one point so its not like they just made him up for the show.

Reaction score

macross7 said:
Considering outside of big GL comic fans, the only exposure most have to Green Lantern is in the Justice League cartoon
Maybe if you're still young enough to be in school.

For those of us that grew up in the 70's and 80's, this is the only version of the Justice League.

Ian

Reaction score

I remember watching that version along with the Wonder Twins version & the version with the 2 kids and their dog in the 80's so they might have been reruns. Do they even run those anymore? I think cartoon network had them on in the 90's. Fankly, it was pretty cheesy.

Remember, this is Hollywood & you know they are going to aim the movie at the teens & 20 year olds, not 30+ year olds. The new JL show is the one the target audience would remember.

Reaction score

no Guy Gardner or Kyle Rayner love? Those 2 are the best. John is pretty decent in the cartoon but hasn't done anything in the comics in ages and Hal is so vanilla.

Reaction score

I think it would be best if they used Tomar-RE or Kilowog in the film

Reaction score

i dont remeber wonder woman ever looking latino.
whoever those 2 girls are.

charisma carpenter ewww

to me it would be awsome if they had apache chief and samurai.

Reaction score

E_CHU_TA said:
The world has gotten WAAYYYYY to PC for either of these characters to be in a multi-million dollar summer tent-pole movie.

Reaction score

sotoam said:
E_CHU_TA said:
The world has gotten WAAYYYYY to PC for either of these characters to be in a multi-million dollar summer tent-pole movie.
yes indeed, people are offended for the sake of being offended.half the time now it seems like people get offended just for the sake of making sure you know they have something in them.

Reaction score

E_CHU_TA said:

charisma carpenter ewww

WW is a Greek princess. Greek ladies and latinas have a lot in common on their physical appereance, mainly related to our Western Europe heritage.

The only actresses with Greek heritage that I know are Jennifer Aniston and the one from "My Fat Greek Wedding" which do not fit WW mold.

Reaction score

was she greek?
i thought she was some unnamed amazon island thing.
i never actually read the comics.

Reaction score

the name of the island was Themyscira. very Greek. and the Amazons were Greek, even in real history.

Reaction score

Code:
Please, give me a break! Alan Scott is the REAL Green Lantern!!!
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Reaction score

E_CHU_TA said:
All these characters were invented over 60 years ago, so they all looked lily white. If anything, they're due an ethnic update. I think it's commendable that DC brought in a black Green Lantern. And a Latino woman would be perfect for Wonder Woman. I think Eva Mendez would fill out that golden eagle top just about perfectly.

Reaction score

BillCable said:
E_CHU_TA said:
All these characters were invented over 60 years ago, so they all looked lily white. If anything, they're due an ethnic update. I think it's commendable that DC brought in a black Green Lantern. And a Latino woman would be perfect for Wonder Woman. I think Eva Mendez would fill out that golden eagle top just about perfectly.

we can thank comic book guy for the next quote...

worst idea ever...

Hey Wilson Fisk is white and always has been so lets make him black.

Susan Storm is a straight up cracker but casting a latino sounds good.

If they made a movie about me and cast a black actor as me then I would kick their [censored]

Reaction score

They can cast me as a black guy any time they want.

A few years back when they started wanting to do Superman again, I thought a brilliant casting choice would have been Jimmy Smits. He has the build and that chiseled face for it. So what if he's Latino? He still would have been perfect for the role. He was from Krypton... they could have made him purple.

There are certain roles where race is critical. You wouldn't want Black Panther to be a white guy. It'd be hard to make Bruce Wayne anything but a WASP. But for others, it'd be stupid to be slavish to character profiles that were created back when minorities were persecuted or ignored.

So go ahead... make the Flash Japanese. Make the Atom Arab. As long as the actor is good, things like that shouldn't bother you. If they do, you should really take a look at yourself and wonder why.

Reaction score

Latina != Mediterranean There are clear physical differences between the two, and I don't think any of the latina actresses mentioned would work as Wonder Woman. I can't think of any big names that would work, as Hollywood doesn't really look for the Amazon type. Girls are usually shortish and thin.

Reaction score

I have a huge problem with casting against established ethnicity. There's plenty enough characters for any given etnicity that they needn't be retconned.

Didn't Eva Mendez prove recently that she's not very well equiped for Superhero movies?

Reaction score

hansolo_506 said:
As much as I realize why Stewart was brought in...

...and if they need a token (DONT TAKE OFFENSE), they can always add Black Lightning, but there is only ONE green Lantern Corpsman for Earth and that is:

I think you mean Black Vulcan. Reminds me of the Harvey Birdman episode when Black Vulcan was complaining that he just wanted to be called "Vulcan" but the other JL members made him add "Black."

Does anyone here remember a live action TV show from back in the 70's about the Justice League?

Adam West and Burt Ward were in it. The whole team was there. It was a campy comedy and was pretty funny. I think there were 2 or maybe 3 of them. I was quite young at the time so I don't remember them that clearly.

I remember a gag where Robin totalled the Bat Mobile and that everyone was trying to get it on with Wonder Woman.

Reaction score

pmrjulio said:
E_CHU_TA said:

charisma carpenter ewww

WW is a Greek princess. Greek ladies and latinas have a lot in common on their physical appereance, mainly related to our Western Europe heritage.

The only actresses with Greek heritage that I know are Jennifer Aniston and the one from "My Fat Greek Wedding" which do not fit WW mold.
I don't have a map in front of me, but isn't the Amazon in South America?

Reaction score

Wow did anyone else catch the clips from the CBS Justice League pilot over at AICN? Words cannot express the sheer amount of suckitude.

Reaction score

Tedious, read Wiki's article on the Amazon rain forest. It's name is derived from the legend of the Greek Amazonians.

WW is Greek, not Latino.

JLA should be released in 2013, the year after the last Singer Superman movie, and hopefully at least the first entries in the WW and Flash (possibly Green Lantern & Aquaman) trilogies.

This would also set up the main characters in the public's conscience, allowing JLA to kick start without going into origins for any of the JL's members.

Reaction score

Inigo_Montoya said:
I have a huge problem with casting against established ethnicity. There's plenty enough characters for any given etnicity that they needn't be retconned.
There's not a top-tier minority anywhere in DC or Marvel. Probably the closest thing to one is Storm. Minority kids should have the chance to look up to heroes they can identify with. With all the major heroes originating in the era of segregation, I feel the publishers have an obligation to retcon a bit.

Inigo_Montoya said:
Didn't Eva Mendez prove recently that she's not very well equiped for Superhero movies?
I didn't see Ghost Rider, but she was good in some respectable dramas. Training Day. Once Upon a Time in Mexico. And I liked her in Hitch. We're not talking Shakespear here, we're talking Wonder Woman. As long as she looks the part and can pull off "serious," "fierce," and "regal" she'd be golden. And she absolutely looks the part.

Reaction score

Now ..THERE'S a cast I wouldn't mind watching..
Supes
Bats
WW
Hal
Canary
Lightning
Arrow
Vixen
Red Tornado
and
Hawkgirl

Nice balance of powers.

Reaction score

Bill, one's inner character will help them feel they relate to a given character, and if they happen to match up in ethnicity, so be it.

I dig Inigo Montoya and Raphael, but I'm neither Spanish, nor a green mutant turtle.

Let these characters live as they are in the public conscience.

Eva's beautiful, but she dosen't quite look Greek enough for me. Charisma may not be a perfect casting choice either, but she matches more criteria than most anyone else I've seen mentioned.

Han, that's way too much. Why not the core characters: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, and Aquaman?

Reaction score

Inigo_Montoya said:
Bill, one's inner character will help them feel they relate to a given character, and if they happen to match up in ethnicity, so be it.
That's a wonderful thought when you're white and already identify with all of them. How many super heroes do you think you would have identified with growing up if all of them were black?

Reaction score

Probably Batman, Superman, and Spider-Man still. I think that's why they're among the most favorite. They're about all I feel I relate to now.

What do you bet this isn't a huge issue for thousands of people who's ethnicity isn't caucasian?
Yes, it's an issue for some, but plenty don't really care, and like the white characters just the same.

Remember, when they're not saving the world, and being hated in the process, Clark Kent and Peter Parker are white and nerdy.

Reaction score

Darth_Tedious said:
pmrjulio said:
E_CHU_TA said:

charisma carpenter ewww

I don't have a map in front of me, but isn't the Amazon in South America?

The Amazon is in South America, which may have its name taken from the Greeks, but was an area settled by the Spanish.

However, having just spent some time reading the backstory on Amazons in the comic world, I have to renounce my misconceptions I've carried since I was a kid, and now realize that the Amazons as told in Wonder Woman's world are indeed a race derived straight from the Greeks.

The Amazons that Wonder Woman belongs to are not the same as the Amazon in South America. Apparently, Wonder Woman is indeed Greek.

As for this whole ethnicity debate, I think the whole issue is stupid. People complain already about comic characters not staying true to the source material. Let's add one more thing for the fanboys to gripe about.

In my opinion, the established characters should remain the way generations of people have grown up knowing and loving them, with the only leeway given to those whose backstory makes them distinctly non-American. Anyone old enough to go see this movie will already have those impressions in their minds before they see it, and if they are offended by the lack of 'ethnicity' represented, they're not going to change their minds and see this film just because of a change in one or two of the cast to a minority actor/actress.

Superman is way too iconic to change anything. Same with Batman, although the costume has gone through some alterations over the years without hurting the character.

Flash is a white American.

Green Lantern to me should be Hal Jordan, as he's easily the most identifiable version over the years. He is a white American test pilot according to history. To appease the younger crowd who only know the modern shows, I suppose I can accept the modern African-American version.

As a note, if one reads the Wikipedia history of Green Lantern, you can see why Hal Jordan should be in this film. While not the first Green Lantern, Jordan was one of the founding members of the Justice League. I assume this film will take place either during the creation, or shortly after, of the JL. John Stewart was brought in as a backup to Hal Jordan, and only rose to prominence when Jordan took an extended leave from the Corps. The movie therefore could have both, but Jordan should be the central GL character - at least for the first film.

Wonder Woman should have an exotic look to her. Since comic lore does indeed make her Greek, the actress chosen to represent her should be from the area, or at least look like it.

Hell, make Aquaman Greek as well. He's from Atlantis, which is a Greek myth, so he can definitely benefit from a Mediterranean look.

Martian Manhunter, if included, is a green biped from Mars.

Ian

Reaction score

I think this could work. I wouldn't mind the "Smallville" cast plus some unknowns to fill in the gaps:

Superman
Batman
Green Arrow
Wonder Woman
Cyborg
The Flash
Aquaman
Green Lantern (maybe...)
Martian Manhunter (maybe...)
Robin (unlikely...)

I like the idea, but we couldn't take it as seriously as a normal comic book movie. The audience would have to understand that it's not a typical comic book adaptation. It's more like a Mystery Men or Armagheddon ensemble movie. And I don't mean a comedy, but like, it needs to have comic fluff for it to work... it's hardto explain.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

_Max

Reaction score

Darth_Tedious said:
Does anyone here remember a live action TV show from back in the 70's about the Justice League?

Adam West and Burt Ward were in it. The whole team was there. It was a campy comedy and was pretty funny. I think there were 2 or maybe 3 of them. I was quite young at the time so I don't remember them that clearly.

I remember a gag where Robin totalled the Bat Mobile and that everyone was trying to get it on with Wonder Woman.
Yup, 1979's Legends of the Superheroes.

It was two separate TV movies, individually called The Challenge and The Roast.

Here's a site that gives you pics and a brief synopsis.

Here's an excerpt from The Roast you can see on YouTube. Check out the outfit on Green Lantern.

Ian