Just starting

Reaction score
I want to start reading some starwars books.
Where do i start?
no prequel stuff just stuff during and after the original trilogy

Help???

Reaction score
If you're really into the original trilogy, the "Tales from" books are pretty good. They actually blend short stories into the existing trilogy and tell stories from secondary character standpoints. Tales from the cantina", "tales from the empire", etc.

G

Yeah, I agree, all the Tales are a good way to get started.

------------------
Duct tape is like the Force. There's a light and a dark side, and it still holds the universe together.

For New Englanders: New England Star Wars Group

Reaction score
You might also want to try the following:
Shadows of the Empire
The Heir to the Empire books (aka the Thrawn Trilogy)
Spectre of the Past and Vision of the Future
The New Jedi Order books

------------------
My name would be MattFury...if I could type!

"There's no mystical energy field that controls MY destiny! It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense!" - Han Solo

G

To get the essential storyline of the EU, there are certain books you must read.

The Thrawn Trilogy
The Jedi Academy Series
I, Jedi (arguably, if you want to understand the origin of some of the characters in the more recent books)
The Hand of Thrawn Duology
The New Jedi Order

These are just the bare bones books for the Expanded Universe (EU). If you want to flesh out the movies some more, then I agree with the others and suggest you read:
Shadows of the Empire
Tales from the Mos Eisely Cantina
Tales of the Bounty Hunters
Tales from Jabba's Palace

Tales from the Empire and Tales of the New Republic mostly tie in with the EU more than the movies.

Other stories that aren't quite as essential, but are still recommended are:
Truce at Bakura
The Courtship of Princess Leia
The X-wing series (there's 9 of them)

If you want to read the stories chronologically, there's a list over at TFN Books

Hope this helps!

[This message has been edited by skawookiee (edited 07-08-2001).]

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys

Now i can tell the misses i don't need as much money for starwars toys as i'll be buying starwars books

Reaction score
Also, I suggest the Illustrated Star Wars Universe, it's great to look at and really expands nicely on what's in the classic trilogy. The stories all tie in nicely to their worlds and aren't your standard fare.

------------------
"I am Vader, lord of the Sith! Behold my Patrick Duffy leg!"

BHC Moderator of POTF2, Galoob, Films, Ep 1, Lego, Classifieds
SSG Micro Machines and Lego Editor

Reaction score
Try the EU book that starter it all - Splinter of the Mind's Eye by Alan Dean Foster.

Also try reading the movie novelizations if you haven't already. Most of the stuff is identical to the films, but there are a few surprises in each book.

G

If you're looking for stuff that features the OT characters, then Splinter of the Mind's Eye, Shadows of the Empire, and the Thrawn trilogy are good startign places, as mentioned. If you want the flavor of the SW universe, then the Tales.... and the Rogue Squadron books are terrific. As everyone has already said

mousie is right about the novelizations but I've only read one, the original 1976 From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker (yes, I *finally* got it
). It's fascinating to see how things changed from novel to final screen cut.

------------------
BHC Moderator, Books and Comics
ladysith@collectstarwars.com

Reaction score
I had heard that the novel was ghostwritten, and the film was already underway when it was written.

------------------
"In my experience, there's no such thing as luck."
"You a'callin' me a cheater?!?"

G

Yes, it was ghostwritten by Kevin J. Anderson, but that doesn't diminish the fact that it was one of my personal 'must haves' in collecting and was two years in coming

Actually, there are only minor differences, the largest being C3PO's character. He was far more acidic and dislikeable in the novel.

There were some lines that were altered for the better in the movie, and other lines that were verbatim, I could just HEAR the characters saying them as I read. Furthermore, there are color plates of pics from the movie even though the book came out in '76 so it's obvious the movie was quite far along in production when the book was released.

It's still one of my prizes

------------------
BHC Moderator, Books and Comics
ladysith@collectstarwars.com

G

The ANH novel was ghost written by Allen Dean Foster, the same guy who wrote SOTME, not Kevin J Anderson.

Reaction score
I was just pointing that out because I don't think the novel's differences from the film version had to do with Lucas changing the movie so much as ADF taking artistic license (all the novels are allowed a certain amount of leeway in that department).

------------------
"In my experience, there's no such thing as luck."
"You a'callin' me a cheater?!?"