Jurassic World 2 Mattel Toys

Reaction score
I've seen it in person three times now, and each time I'm more tempted to get it. My only issue is each big Rex improves upon the last, so no doubt we'll be getting another for Dominion that will improve upon the CC version and I'll want it too.

What I want is Mattel to make something similar to Kenner's Thrasher from the TLW line. Real feel skin, neutral pose, simple action feature.
Man, I had that that one and sold it. Now I could kick myself in the @$$.

Reaction score
I can't get over the price the Dimetrodon is going for. I had two imported from the US, and afterwards saw several in Canadian stores but didn't buy any as I didn't need one. I had no idea it would become so sought after.

Reaction score
I can't get over the price the Dimetrodon is going for. I had two imported from the US, and afterwards saw several in Canadian stores but didn't buy any as I didn't need one. I had no idea it would become so sought after.
Which Dimetrodon? The Classic Kenner or the new Mattel one?

Reaction score
Also, I bought my first Happy Meal in probably 25 years and got myself a Rexy! I saw the logo of the Carno at my local McD's and couldn't help myself. I knew there would be some cool dino toys, but these are fun. Essentially another version of the Snap Squad, pull the tail back and she bites. The only downfall is one side has the screw holes, which is a bummer. But the egg itself is great and I love the Jurassic logo molded into it. Very fun!

Reaction score
Also, I bought my first Happy Meal in probably 25 years and got myself a Rexy! I saw the logo of the Carno at my local McD's and couldn't help myself. I knew there would be some cool dino toys, but these are fun. Essentially another version of the Snap Squad, pull the tail back and she bites. The only downfall is one side has the screw holes, which is a bummer. But the egg itself is great and I love the Jurassic logo molded into it. Very fun!
Oh cool. Are the Happy Meal toys exclusive to McDonald's in the US? I may snag a set on eBay as they're plentiful.

Reaction score
Oh cool. Are the Happy Meal toys exclusive to McDonald's in the US? I may snag a set on eBay as they're plentiful.
I'm not sure, I assumed every country did Happy Meals, but it could be just a USA thing. Have you found premiums in Happy Meals before? I'd imagine Canada is getting them too.

Reaction score
The new Mattel one.
I have this Mattel Dimetrodon, what is it going for? I definitely like the sculpt, I just figured they'd eventually do an all-green one to tribute Kenner. It's probably going for high prices because it's the only color and figure made for that dino. Unlike Rexy, who already has what, like 8 versions!?

Wow Hawk, you weren't kidding - I just checked the sold listings. I would think this figure would certainly be repainted and reissued down the line. I feel like I should be selling mine right now because of these absurd prices! I could use the money, thanks for the heads up.

Reaction score
I have this Mattel Dimetrodon, what is it going for? I definitely like the sculpt, I just figured they'd eventually do an all-green one to tribute Kenner. It's probably going for high prices because it's the only color and figure made for that dino. Unlike Rexy, who already has what, like 8 versions!?

Wow Hawk, you weren't kidding - I just checked the sold listings. I would think this figure would certainly be repainted and reissued down the line. I feel like I should be selling mine right now because of these absurd prices! I could use the money, thanks for the heads up.
A quick look showed it going for around $150.

Reaction score
Agreed. I'm not sure where the insane demand for the Dimetrodon came from. Another one that's sought after is the first Savage Strike Styracosaurus. I picked up three for myself and like the Dimetrodon left many others on the pegs. Now it's going for four to five times it's retail price. Makes no sense to me.

Reaction score
Agreed. I'm not sure where the insane demand for the Dimetrodon came from. Another one that's sought after is the first Savage Strike Styracosaurus. I picked up three for myself and like the Dimetrodon left many others on the pegs. Now it's going for four to five times it's retail price. Makes no sense to me.
I have that one too! Dang - time to sell man. I don't need those dinos THAT bad. They'll inevitably be repainted in ridiculous purple colors, don't people know Mattel by now?!

It's like the exclusive 5POA Snoke and Guard from the BB-8 playset, I sold them for like $111. Couldn't believe it, now you'd be lucky to get $5 for that figure.

Reaction score
I have that one too! Dang - time to sell man. I don't need those dinos THAT bad. They'll inevitably be repainted in ridiculous purple colors, don't people know Mattel by now?!

It's like the exclusive 5POA Snoke and Guard from the BB-8 playset, I sold them for like $111. Couldn't believe it, now you'd be lucky to get $5 for that figure.
That's what's craziest about this. Seems all the dinos in this line are re-released as repaints and re-released as modified versions. In general the re-releases are also upgrades over the earlier versions. Wait six months and I'd guess all these dinos will be out again.

Reaction score

There already is a repaint of the Styraco, in the Primal Attack packaging.

Reaction score
I got super lucky and snagged the original Styracosaurus thinking it won't really be any rarer than any other, but mostly just because it's my favorite species of ceratopsian. But I never even saw the Dimetrodon, one I actually really wanted. I don't think it's ever even gotten a re-release. I'd LOVE if they'd put one back out in the classic Kenner-style green and yellow deco. I'd be all about that! But knowing my luck, they will re-release is...but in bright pink or something.

I've actually really been slacking on my Jurassic dinosaurs. I haven't gotten a new one in quite some time. I'd still like to get pick up the original Albertosaurus, the Sarcosuchus (original), Plesiosaurus (original), Quetzalcoatlus, Edmontosaurus, Ornitholestes, most especially the original Legacy Spinosaurus, and a few select others.

Reaction score
Yeah me too. Now of course I am expecting it to be more tame than one of the films, of course, but that there's deaths at all is a good sign. It'll probably be situations where like, when it happens it's obscured, cuts away, or it's only heard rather than shown. But a JP show without deaths would really feel...off...lower the stakes and tension. And I think it's very obvious it'll be exclusively camp counselors (does this mean Toro the Carnotaurus will be the Jason Voorhees of JP) and park workers.

My only real disappointment thus far is, it really doesn't seem there will be any new species. Either that or they've been really keeping them secret. With some toylines, that can be a clue, but with this line...having an Edmontosaurus, Majungasaurus, and others doesn't really mean they'll show up at all.

I was really hoping for Plesiosaurus as I thought it made most logical sense. 1. They are assumed to be in JW as you can clearly see a holographic one in the visitors center. 2. There was the whole scrapped Plesiosaur Pond that had it and Ichthyosaur (would love a toy for) in it, made it as far as to concept art, leading some to speculate that since the hologram is in the movie...that may confirm the Pond is in the park and just never seen. 3. It would be a FANTASTIC tribute to the old 1994 scrapped JP: The Animated Series as when the concept art leaked for that, probably the most interesting one was of Lex and Tim fleeing from a Plesiosaur.

SaleJPPlesio.jpg

Reaction score
I'm happy to hear about the deaths and I'm assuming this all takes place during the events of JW, right? Hence, why the breakdown is happening shortly after they arrive at the park and why the Indominus is running around alive?

Reaction score
The Super Colossal Indominus is finally up on Toys"R"us. I'm planning a trip to the city mid next week so with any luck it will be in stock at one of the TRU locations. Right now it's showing out of stock at all three.

Reaction score
Well Camp Cretaceous came out today. I watched all of it already, I'll leave spoilers out for now until more of you folks see it all. But I will say my overall thoughts. It's pretty much what I expected. Did I enjoy it? Yeah, I did, though I'm certainly not the target demographic. I'd have liked it way more when I was like 12. But as an adult, there is a decent amount of cringe or absurdity at times. I already have my spoiler list of them. But there's also a decent amount of good stuff too, enough for me to say even as an adult I had fun with it. And Bumpy is adorable!

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I'll probably check it out this weekend. My expectations are low since it seems meant for kids. Still, I'm curious to see more human/dinosaur interactions to add more depth to the overall JP storyline.

Reaction score
Def will rip through it - are they like 25 minute episodes?
Give or take and only 8 episodes in total so it's a pretty quick watch compared to a lot of Netflix originals.

I'm dying to get into spoilers so I'll just white them out:

So...preface this with I do like the show, I know it's a kids show, but these were so overtly noticable...I just couldn't say "Meh! It's a kids show" and bypass some of them. Just as an adult you immediately recognize how downright ridiculous most of the below are. I mean so cringe, I don't think "it's for kids" automatically excuses bad writing on levels THIS noticeable.

1. So talk about a liability. These have to be either the stupidest children ever (which I GET it...kids are stupid...), the worst camp counselors ever, or a mixture of both. Just when you really think about it, if the park has rivals attempting to spy and steal research and genes and so on and so forth...the fact that kids could get around the park so easily and so unmonitored makes me really question...how did Jurassic World not go up in flames as quickly as Jurassic Park? The show makes it look like I could legitimately just take a leisurely stroll into a genetics lab, press any button I want to unlock anything I want, not worry about security or cameras...because there are none, and take what I want with minimal effort. If my 12 year old wants to go pet a Trex, sure, just hit the bright green button on the enclosure door and there you go. Bingo! The writers seem to have forgotten that parks...have safety precautions...and I've seen schools and Daycares with more.

2. And then, to top it off, how in the heck were said kids not...IMMEDIATELY...thrown off the island for repeatedly doing near suicidal things? I find it hard to believe they'd just get a slap on the wrist. Either that or Masrani is dealing with deaths daily, covering it up, and we just never knew. Hah! But in this case, fine, throw them off the island and there's no show. FINE...I guess...

3. And then speaking of rival companies, you're telling me one...tasked a teenage (if even) girl...to spy for them? That's just a real stretch for me to run with, kids show or not. Plus it's not Biosyn? It's "Manticore," that concerns me that Dominion will use this Manticore company instead of Biosyn. Pretty willing to bet now.

4. Now I know Wu mentions Bumpy has an accelerated growth, but sweet mother of God...he's going to be fully grown in less than a week at that rate. No big deal, but noticeable.

5. THE absolute funniest (unintentional) poor writing moment for me has GOT to be, by far, that the river cruise ...you know...basically the lazy river that guests take canoes down...has a river path on it...that leads...to the Mosasaurus enclosure. Um...WHAT? Who engineered that ride? Jabba the Hutt?! A Bond villain? Now I understand it was gated off...though the gate is way too down the other path (meaning passengers would get stuck down there) but even INCLUDING the (now broken) gate...WHY would you connect them?! What PSYCHO SUPER VILLAIN would decide to CONNECT them? Talk about plot convenience to just GET the Mosasaur into the show.

6. Toro isn't dead. Huh? Now I get that, yet again (broken record), kids show...but Toro is freaking dead. I'm sorry, that's absurd. The show DOES include deaths, I get you're not going to show dino-limbs and guts everywhere, but I have no idea why they pussed out on killing the Carno...especially when it very CLEARLY would NEVER have survived that. I LIKE to think it walked off TO die, but I have a gut feeling it'll show up in season 2. So apparently Wu is engineering dinosaurs from steel now too. This one isn't THAT big a deal to me, I just recognized the silliness of it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My main problem with the show was the vehicle choices. I've already gone on about how the counselors' Mercedes G 63 has a color scheme intended to recall the Jurassic Park Jeeps, but so does the one they steal from headquarters. Why does a vehicle that isn't connected to Camp Cretaceous have the Camp Cretaceous colors? Even the Mercedes G 550 the kids see outside the Raptor Research Arena has the Camp Cretaceous color scheme and logo! Are all park vehicles colored and decorated this way in Camp Cretaceous' universe?

I was also irritated that both ACU vans the kids come across were just generic Ford panel vans instead of the armored-up Mercedes Sprinters we saw in the movie. That was just lazy asset recycling; both vans were recycled from the 2019 series Fast & Furious: Spy Racers and modified to have a higher roofline and lights on top. Lazy, lazy, lazy.

And all of the helicopters in the show were Bell 206L LongRangers modified to have fenestrons instead of proper tail rotors. Every. Single. One. The extraction chopper in Darius' game? A LongRanger. The black chopper Kenji arrives in? A LongRanger. Even Masrani's helicopter JW001 is depicted as a LongRanger, which is a direction contradiction of the film, where it was an Airbus H130 (!). Lazy.

I did like seeing Mr. DNA, though, and I liked Darius' relationship with his father Frederick in flashbacks, even if it was a little treacly.

Mr. DNA aside, I did not like the fakeout opening, though.

Spoiler:  
I'd hoped the sequence with Dr. Meriwether was going to be a flashback set before the park opened. Part of Jurassic World's backstory is that InGen, backed by Masrani, went onto the island retook control, and my first thought was that Meriwether and his unseen companion were part of this operation and trying to escape when it went wrong somehow. But as soon as I heard the companion speak with a kid's voice ("We can use the river to mask our scent!"), I knew that something was amiss, and sure enough, it turned out to be a dang video game.

Which raises some interesting questions. Why would Masrani Global make a video game involving their dinosaurs killing people...? Darius never explicitly refers to it as a Jurassic World game (he just calls it a "VR dinosaur game" but the logos we see are all the Jurassic World ones, and in-game dialogue calls the extraction chopper "Jurassic One." So this means Masrani Global has a game where dinosaurs kill people released to promote a contest for admission to their dinosaur park. That'd be like the San Diego Zoo making a survival horror game.

The deaths in the show were handled well, though.

Spoiler:  
Frederick's death in his hospital bed was nicely handled. The attack on Eddie was pretty intense, at least for this, although the fact he wore the party hat throughout the entire thing kind of undermined the scariness. He died tastefully out of view behind some high grass. As for Meriwether, even though he's a character in a game-within-a-show, and he died similarly to Eddie, out of sight behind some foliage, his death was pretty brutal simply from the sound effects alone, though his hat flying up into shot was a little too cartoonish for my tastes.

Last edited:
Reaction score
  Spoiler:  
I can't believe I forgot the first two guys the I-rex killed. The first guy was doubly unlucky: not only was he black but was also literally wearing a red shirt. Oof. Poor guy. So, not including Darius' father, the show has a body count of three people. Four, assuming Ben doesn't pull through.

Reaction score
Despite it's flaws I thought Camp Cretaceous was OK. I'll put it this way, I didn't feel I wasted my time watching it. It started out pretty cringy, but it got better as the episodes progressed. And, similar to many horror movies where you question the actions of the characters in the movie, this show had many of those moments throughout. Go in with low expectations and don't think to deeply into all the dump plot devices and you will enjoy it at a superficial level at least. There were some good moments sprinkled throughout and you get a little more insight into the Jurassic World , uh, world.

Reaction score
Yeah I'm in the same boat...it's OK. The way I put it to my friend, "It's fine. It's entertaining enough...but that's it." See I've been getting TRASHED in JP group on social media for not being utterly gaga for it. I've seen a number of folks say it's brilliant. REALLY?! I mean, to each their own...but...brilliant? I can't help but feel that's more fueled by pandemic boredom and desire for any new entertainment media than it actually being sincere. But hey, maybe I'm the one who just doesn't "get" it.

The main criticism I've been getting for my criticism is that I'm being overly critical of a kids show, but here's my logic: my favorite television show of all-time is Batman: The Animated Series. That's a "kids" show. I also absolutely adore Avatar: The Last Airbender, another supposed "kids" show. Now sure, those are more broad...BTAS more self-contained single episode stories (and neither show have every episode be a win) but...they're extremely well-written and mature. I don't think "aimed at kids" give an auto-pass to ridiculous writing. It excuses some things, but not that. To me, Avatar and BTAS feel like a kids show written by adults who don't underestimate the intelligence of children. Camp Cretaceous feels like a kids show...written by kids...to have "OH COOL!" moments at most.

But that's me...

I guess we can talk spoilers openly now? I'll give a warning.................

But I will say, things I did like since I've been focusing on the negative...I liked Toro. I oddly liked that the Rex...isn't...in this. Firstly, it adds up to the continuity of the film, the Rex was still in containment for the majority of the film and secondly, I like that a different carnivore got to shine. I liked every Indominous scene. The deaths were well handled, agreed. Despite not liking how they got into the Mosasaurus lagoon (I can't be the only one to notice how INSANE it is they have the canoe tour CONNECTED)...if I ignore that, I enjoyed the sequence. I like the idea of a sort of "Space Camp" style thing and the camp itself would be a kids dream come true. Bumpy is adorable. I liked Wu showed up.

Yeah the "Ready Player One" style video game "Wonka" challenge WAS odd. I agree! Also...am I the only one who noticed...I could SWEAR they called it Nublar, but the game map is clearly "Site B" Sorna. Also am I the only one who chuckled at the Raptor resonating chamber Easter Egg from JP3?

Reaction score
I got through 4 episodes so far, pretty cool. Animation looks very good, characters are definitely reflections of both the good and annoying versions of kids we see in the modern day. I loved the Mr. DNA was voiced by the original guy! That was awesome, at least it sure sounded like him.

Reaction score
I got through 4 episodes so far, pretty cool. Animation looks very good, characters are definitely reflections of both the good and annoying versions of kids we see in the modern day. I loved the Mr. DNA was voiced by the original guy! That was awesome, at least it sure sounded like him.
Yeah, I was impressed with the quality of the way the dinos were animated in particular. The humans would normally seem fine in their present animation style, but seemed too cartoony in comparison to how the dinos were animated. In the end, I was glad the dinos were animated as they were as it made the show connect better with the live action movies even if the humans were very stylized.

Another thing I liked was the overall plot of the show. It kind of played out like a long movie and I liked how they tied the story into the overall lore of Jurassic World. I was going into the show completely fresh and I was not expecting the main plot to go where it did. At first I was thinking it was going to be just some random alternate universe of Jurassic Park/World. But, much like The Clone Wars, I assume Camp Cretaceous is canon now with the movies.

Reaction score
I finished Camp Cretaceous tonight. It wasn't bad. Toro was a great villain dino! He was well done. I liked the tie ins to the movie. Indominus running past them while getting pursued by Masrani's helicopter was cool. And the monorail train going out of control explains why we see it crashed off the track in the beginning of Fallen Kingdom.

Speaking of Camp Cretaceous, I FINALLY picked up the Epic Roarin' T-Rex today. It was an unexpected purchase. I was at the grocery store and they had just set up their small toy section for the holidays. They had one and since I had a heap of points through the store's rewards program, I used some to buy it. Can't go wrong with free! Now that I've had it in hand for a few hours I have to say, this probably is the best Rex mattel has done yet. It displays nice, pose is neutral, closed mouth, it's pretty cool.

Reaction score
See that is one thing a lot who are calling this "brilliant" that DID have issue with...but I oddly didn't?! The kids! YES most are annoying! But my God, I cannot tell you how many kids today that my friends have that are CONSTANTLY on their phones recording crap and trying to be an "influencer," so they call them. That DIDN'T bother me! Yeah they're obnoxious, but the kids actually are fairly accurate to how kids are today.

Last edited: