Jurassic World 2 Mattel Toys

Reaction score
Is Mattel pretty much done with Jurassic Park Matchbox stuff going into 2020?
Apparently. Though I'd say they were done with it back in January 2019, considering how virtually none of it made it to retail. No Walmart or Target I ever went to had the die cast Dino Rivals vehicles. Ever. Not the single-carded vehicles, not the five-packs, not the Dino Transporters. Except, of course, for the clean version of Jeep 10, but that's only because it wasn't a Dino Rivals release, but part of the Walmart-exclusive Jeep line.

But Cracker Barrel did/does! Yes, Cracker Barrel. They have the first two five packs and the Dino Transporters. Nobody seems to be buying them, though.

But except for that? I had to get the entire 2019 Dino Rivals line from sellers online. Every. Single. One.

I dunno who bungled this, Mattel or the stores' toy section managers, but they really bungled the Matchbox line.

Reaction score
The more I see her, the more I want the Amber Collection raptor, even if she's apparently designed backwards. From what I can tell, the sculpt was first intended to be Blue, but then they reverse-engineered it to be one of the random raptors from JP1.
It's so choice. If you have the means I highly recommend picking one up...

How can you tell it was supposed to be Blue? Not debating, just curious!

Reaction score
I acquired three Amber Collection JP Raptors to have the pack from the movie. I also have Malcolm. I highly recommend both.

Blue is available on Amazon Canada right now, though I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Reaction score
It's so choice. If you have the means I highly recommend picking one up...
Sure thing, Mr. Bueller!

How can you tell it was supposed to be Blue? Not debating, just curious!
That's according to the Fwoosh's review of her and Malcolm. According to him, him, the initial prototype was done in Blue's colors. He showed a photo from some toy con presentation or other, like this one:

Note, too, that the prototype has a multi-jointed tail unlike the finished version which just has a ball joint at the past.

Other differences the Fwoosh highlighted were that the Malcolm figure is a lot thinner and more detailed than the prototype, particularly his shoes.

Reaction score
I don't think they're doing anything different to the raptor molds, I think it's just repaints. If I'm not mistaken, they have a Charlie up for preorder too.

Reaction score
IMG_2883.JPG

FINALLY found these suckers - I know I'm missing one though, right? Couldn't find the Mercedes SUV. In Pennsylvania where I am we have Weis grocery stores and sure enough, they had them. WTF is Mattel thinking by only sending these cars to grocery stores as their distribution? How on earth do they expect to sell MORE product there than at a Target or Wal-Mart where toys get constant traffic? Toys in a grocery are a freaking afterthought - I'm just annoyed I didn't check before as I may have had access to more product. They were higher at a $1.06, but I gladly snatched them up. Really loving the crushed Explorer, the effect is just too cool. Can you imagine if we had these cars back when JP actually came out in 93'?

The point is, check your grocery stores. I know Kroger was reported quite a few times above, but check the locally owned chains too.

Reaction score
Does it appear as though the Blue Spinosauras has stopped shipping to Wal-mart? I have never seen this or the previous Spino in the wild. It seems like I have seen every other item in the line at retail.

Reaction score
Does it appear as though the Blue Spinosauras has stopped shipping to Wal-mart? I have never seen this or the previous Spino in the wild. It seems like I have seen every other item in the line at retail.
I only every saw it that one time just before the Thanksgiving holiday. Never saw it since. It was also sold online for a time, but it seems to be out of stock for a few weeks now. Still, you may want to keep checking online. It may pop back into stock.

Reaction score
Anyone spotted a Sarcosuchus yet? I still have yet to find a battle-damaged Plesiosaur too, heck I haven't found either...but I only want the battle damaged one.

I saw they're doing an Irritator, Majungasaurus, and a proper Sinoceratops (as really the one released was actually a Pachyrhinosaurus) but no photos yet. Outside of the proper Sinoceratops, none of those excite me much. I mean we have Carnotaurus, Albertosaurus, Tarbosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Allosaurus, Metriacanthosaurus, Concavenator, and Cryolophosaurus for medium scale carnivores...some stand out more than others (horns, head shape, size, crest) but the Majungasaurus (and Tarbosaurus for that matter) just don't really feel unique enough for me to care much about. Same goes for Irritator, we already have Spinosaurus, Baryonyx, and Suchomimus...Irritator is kind of a bland choice. I'd much rather have another Stegosaurid (we've still only gotten one...I want a Kentrosaurus) or something real unique like an Oviraptor, Apatosaurus, or Therizinosaurus. That's why I'm so much more excited for things like the Plesiosaurus, the Sarcosuchus, and the Quetzalcoatlus. They stand out.

I think we'll see the 6'' Nedry and Dilo at Toy fair. Still annoyed we don't have a small scale Nedry. Also I'll be annoyed if the frill on the Dilo isn't removable, but if the Mattel's past is any indication...it won't be.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Picked this guy up today. Saw the new line finally in stores and the new Carno - at $25, I wasn't biting on that yet. I just wanted to make sure I got this one because it's grey like the Vintage Kenner version and like in the movie as well. Still wish it was a Legacy dino, but it looks the part anyhow.

IMG_7250.JPG

Reaction score
I never saw those for sale anywhere.
Yeah, me neither. I ended up ordering the harbor set on Amazon, but it took a very long time to get back in stock. It went up and down in price. At one point it was kind of pricey by 3rd party scalpers, then Amazon proper got it in stock and it was regular price. I think they're good sets to go with all the JP/JW cars and trucks we got these days from Matchbox. I think they would look great with a repaint and wash to let all the sculpted detail pop.

Reaction score
I'm trimming my collection a bit. Here's a list of what I have for sale. Prices are in CAD.

DR Savage Strike Plesiosaurus - $16 (2 Available)
DR Mega Dual Attack Suchomimus - $20
DR Mega Dual Attack Quetzalcoatlus - $20
FK Action Attack Carnotaurus - $20
FK Attack Pack Dilophosaurus - $30
FK Battle Damage Velociraptor "Blue" - $10
FK Battle Damage Gallimimus - $10
DR Battle Damage Proceratosaurus - $16
DR Battle Damage Gallimimus - $16
FK Battle Damage Lockwood Ultimate Battle Set - $100
FK Super Articulated Indoraptor - $20
FK Dilophosaurus/Dimorphodon 2 Pack MIP - $50
FK Hatch n' Play Tyrannosaurus Rex - $15
FK Hatch n' Play Velociraptor "Blue" - $15
Legacy Collection Tyrannosaurs Rex Pack - $40
Legacy Collection Human Set (Grant, Ellie, Malcolm, Muldoon, SDCC Hammond) - $100
Legacy Collection Ian Malcolm & Ellie Sattler - $25
Destruct-a-saurs T-Rex Ambush Playset - $45 (x3 available)

Last edited:
Reaction score
took my kids to see Jurassic World Live the Tour.. it's a neat show. the dinosaurs look cool, the story is ok (Both Owen and Claire are mentioned which makes me believe this is right after the events of Jurassic World and before Fallen Kingdom). all in all though it's a fun show for fans of Jurassic and the kids will love it. My kids cheered seeing Blue the Raptor on the stage.

Reaction score
Kids really seem to love Blue. It's funny how the raptors went from being objects of pure terror in the first film to now being heroic. Not that I mind. :D

Reaction score
Kids really seem to love Blue. It's funny how the raptors went from being objects of pure terror in the first film to now being heroic. Not that I mind. :D
Well, our Ancestors looked at Wolves and thought "Imma gonna turn that into a pet", so I'm not even surprised that sooner or later we would look at something like a raptor with the same attitude and go "hmmmmm...." ;) :D

Reaction score
You raise a good point. It's interesting, then, that many of Jurassic World's detractors claimed that Hoskins' plan to domesticate raptors was dumb, if not outright impossible. It would be possible, just not in the timeframe Hoskins was pushing for, but everyone slamming the movie claimed that it couldn't be done at all, ever. Except, y'know, wolves.

Reaction score
You raise a good point. It's interesting, then, that many of Jurassic World's detractors claimed that Hoskins' plan to domesticate raptors was dumb, if not outright impossible. It would be possible, just not in the timeframe Hoskins was pushing for, but everyone slamming the movie claimed that it couldn't be done at all, ever. Except, y'know, wolves.
And literally the handful of other examples he gave of animals bring used for warfare.

I read a lot of interviews Trevorrow did before Jurasic World came out and I thought he had a lot of interesting things to say. One thing was that part of it is a satire/commentary on society. Having a bigger, new dinosaur because audiences have already seen a T-Rex. Deliberate product placement shots because advertising is everywhere. I feel like a lot of those touches go over a lot of people's heads, and it shows with the critiques of the movie.

The thing he said that stuck out to me was that even though he's a fan, the movie had to justify its own existence and have an answer to "why does this need to be made?". I thought it was an interesting approach to take. I also loved the movie and the idea of a hero dinosaur (Blue).

Reaction score
See, I get the criticisms though. While it's one thing to domesticate, it's a total dud idea to "weaponize" them. Think about it - our military has plenty of access to stealthy, muscular and super fast animals right now, but you don't see them training lions, tigers and pumas to attack the Taliban or whatever the hell Hoskins was spouting off about. It's a ludicrous idea that sounds like a 5th grader came up with it for his fan fiction. It's not nearly as watchable per say or action packed, but I could see the commoditization of dinos being bought by rich families as a social symbol of wealth being much more believable. Again though, not a whole lot of action in that unless some idiot rich family doesn't take responsibility for what they have and it eats their daughter or neighbor or maid or something. Then you have a little horror element there. I just think the whole stupid idea of running dinos into military situations is a farce. I mean, imagine T-Rex rolling into a battle and a sniper popping it dead from 200 yds away with a high powered rifle or someone blowing it to pieces with a bazooka. There would be no advantage whatsoever.

Reaction score
I pick and choose the dinos I get. There being no human line to go with them really took the wind from my sails on this line. One of my best friends gets every dino still and buys those action force troopers and any lanard stuff that'll go with them as dino hunters/mercs.

Mattel has quality dinos, but they're dropping the ball by not having humans or vehicles to go with them.

Reaction score
I pick and choose the dinos I get. There being no human line to go with them really took the wind from my sails on this line. One of my best friends gets every dino still and buys those action force troopers and any lanard stuff that'll go with them as dino hunters/mercs.

Mattel has quality dinos, but they're dropping the ball by not having humans or vehicles to go with them.
SEVERELY dropping the ball. They will run this line into the ground if they don't start doing more creative things with it like playsets and humans and more movie vehicles. Such a waste. The 500th dinosaur with pink repaint is just not doing it for me, nor is the fact that they are seemingly doing every unrelated dinosaur creature they can come up with. These things have ZERO to do with Jurassic Park - just STOP Mattel. Let Schleich handle that for the real uber dino nerds. I'm kinda pissed at myself for buying the Sucho and the Albertosaurus, good sculpts and features as they may be, they simply don't resonate whatsoever with Jurassic Park.

I did, however, buy the latest Pteradon because it featured the snapping mouth for the first time and a really believable looking wing mechanism. It almost looks organic, plus sounds, so I couldn't pass it up.

Reaction score
Received these two a few days ago. They're both pretty awesome. If Mattel keeps going with the Amber Collection I might dump most of my 3.75" scale humans and dinos, saved for the Legacy ones.

So what happened to Nedry and the dilophosaur? It's kind of not a real good sign for this series that the first 3 dinos have all been repaints...

Reaction score
So what happened to Nedry and the dilophosaur? It's kind of not a real good sign for this series that the first 3 dinos have all been repaints...
Nothing at all has happened with Nedry yet. This line was announced (I think) at SDCC 18, the first two figures (of the 4 shown) weren't available until mid 2019. The next two (Owen and Blue) just became available online about a month and a half ago. So maybe he'll get released later on this year.

To me, it's more like a special edition set of releases and not a line they're gonna be pushing anywhere in stores. I wouldn't be surprised of Nedry is the end of it because Mattel really does not seem heavily committed to this line. Shame too, but the raptor is a really nice figure. I haven't had a spot to put Malcolm so I haven't opened him yet.

Reaction score
Nedry and Dilo are coming soon. My info comes from a Canadian e-retailer I work closely with and helped get him started on offering Jurassic Park products. I got my Amber Owen and Blue from him.

He had both of them up for pre-order briefly, but had to take them down as his distributor is Entertainment Earth and he needs to let them list products first. I messaged him today and he said he's still just waiting for EE to list them and he'll get them up. The specific date they ship is June sometime but that will probably be delayed now.

I forgot to add there were some Jurassic World things shown behind closed doors, no photos allowed, at New York last month and these two were present. Supposedly the Dilo's frill is removable. :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
That's great news!! Im.hoping some of those things showed were more humans beyond Franklin!

Anyone still looking, Megalopolis Toys is having a sale that includes Owen and blue from the Amber collection for $35.

Reaction score
That's great news!! Im.hoping some of those things showed were more humans beyond Franklin!
I hope so too. That news from Collect Jurassic but they were tight lipped. But something else they mentioned was the Legacy Collection will be back. So things seems kinda stale now with all the repaints but there's definitely something to look forward too. I expect some great stuff to come out in 2021 leading up to Dominion.

Reaction score
I remember the Mattel team talking about having the license through the end of the trilogy and talking about putting out product to keep a Jurassic shelf space at retail through 2019 and 2020, which I took to mean we'd get hit with product for Dominion like we did with Fallen Kingdom. I just assumed they'd use the non-movie years to get 90s trilogy items out. It made sense to me because it wouldn't be competing with new product/forcing us to re-buy when Dominion came.

On that note, I'm VERY glad Legacy is returning! It was talked about as if it was basically a one and done set of figures.

Reaction score
Nedry and Dilo are coming soon. My info comes from a Canadian e-retailer I work closely with and helped get him started on offering Jurassic Park products. I got my Amber Owen and Blue from him.

He had both of them up for pre-order briefly, but had to take them down as his distributor is Entertainment Earth and he needs to let them list products first. I messaged him today and he said he's still just waiting for EE to list them and he'll get them up. The specific date they ship is June sometime but that will probably be delayed now.

I forgot to add there were some Jurassic World things shown behind closed doors, no photos allowed, at New York last month and these two were present. Supposedly the Dilo's frill is removable. :D
Awesome, thanks for the info!

Reaction score
Yeah it really is ironic that raptors, in the first film, are def. the heel "villain" dinosaurs. Even Rexy is portrayed somewhat heroically, I mean sure Genaro's death is terrifying...but end of the day, Rexy eats the greedy cowardly lawyer, then progresses to safe our heroes at the end. Raptors were the foes, constantly ominous and foreshadowed. It's kind of interesting that really, they do physically appear in the film pretty late in the game, but they're sooooo built up to. I think once they do finally show up, it's like "Oh CRAP!"

But now, it's sort of like Godzilla. Kids sleep with little stuffed Blue dolls. Kids aren't SCARED of them anymore. But I do have to say, I don't think the raptors were entirely declawed like, say, Godzilla has been. The OTHER raptors in the pack are pretty darn brutal and even Blue CAN be at times. But yeah, they're just portrayed as more heroes now. The weaponizing dinosaurs concept is just inherently silly. I mean we have drones, bunker busting missiles, on and on....what EXACTLY does a military DINOSAUR cloning branch really offer to the battlefield that isn't already more effective elsewhere? I mean I COULD roll with it in Jurassic World in context. Alright, they're on an isolated island and there's a giant genetically engineered killing machine on the loose. Alright, fine, use the raptors in THIS situation. PLUS the plan doesn't work anyway. But the ACTUAL military taking dinosaurs to say, Iraq...is totally cornball. See and that too is an issue with the next one coming. I mean let's be realistic, I get dinosaurs would totally cause panic and a problem on the main land....AT FIRST...but come on, within a few days, the military would solve the problem with pretty ease. So I think, what they have to do, is basically keep running with the sort of green peace idea that Fallen Kingdom made and how it apparently would be deemed unethical TO kill them. I think that's really the only way to do this plot and have a continual and realistic threat that CONTINUES. Because, sure, stuff like Battle at Big Rock would happen the first few days, but it's not a lengthy threat. The military would ice them relatively quickly.

Yeah I'm still pretty ticked we're seemingly never going to get Nedry, Mr. Arnold, the kids, Genaro, and heck...even Lost World characters. Plus also, the tour vehicle at LEAST. I mean how, HOW could they not give us that? They can give us like 6 repainted Triceratops, but they can't realize that the tour vehicles WOULD sell? And while I do like the large amount of animal species they're giving us, it's waaaaaay more elaborate than I think any of us expected, they're starting to get redundant now. It's like I've said: If I have a Rex or Allosaurus, what's REALLY all that impressive about...say....a Tarbosaurus? Sure it's a nice figure, but for me, it's just basically something we already have. It's not unique enough. And we're getting overrun with that sort of stuff. Repaints or dinosaur species that really aren't that exciting...mostly. That's why I like the REAL unique stuff like, say, Plesiosaurus, Quetz, Sarcho, etc. At least they stand out!