Josh's Collection

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I hope that you are doing well in the current situation, which is - sadly - becoming more critical again!

It is time to present parts of my collection. My collection focus is on prop replicas of the original trilogy - and although the Snowspeeder from Master Replicas is only about 3/4 of the size of the original prop, this one makes the start today.

Some time ago I was able to shoot the Snowspeeder on eBay at a very reasonable price. When it arrived, I noticed that two of the rear fins were broken off. Since the value was therefore already more or less extremely reduced IMHO, I thought that a repaint would be a good idea.

For this reason I contacted John Simmons of John Simmons Scale Modelling and sent him the good piece. He then repainted the model with Archive-X colors in the orange version, which in my opinion is more memorable.

I love the result! (Unfortunately the lightning is not very good)

The pictures show the speeder on a 1:1 reproduction of the original mirror display. I have the original display, but I wanted to see how I can still play around with it - maybe I'll switch to a white-mirrored base to simulate the snowy hoth.

I'm still waiting for a signed plaque by the artist John Simmons. Afterward, I'll post a new picture of the complete display.

Stay safe!

Josh

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, I received another beautiful piece today: A 10th Anniversary RS Prop Masters HDPE ANH Stormtrooper helmet. It is a stunning helmet and as close as one can get to the real thing. However, you have to like that screen-used look.

I had already bought one of their PVC armors in the first 501st German Garrison run (that must have been almost 8-9 years ago), but I did not order any of their other stuff until they announced their Y-Wing helmet, which I can hardly wait for.

I also ordered one of their Direct Lineage Boba Fett helmets, because Boba is my all-time favorite character. I already have the EFX precision cast replica helmet, but I don't think it is very valuable in a qualitative way. Moreover, I have one of the Master Replicas helmets, but I had it re-painted as well, because I shot it on eBay at a low price without extras like the shipper, box, plaque or CoA.

I really hope that the guys will continue their great work - I am too happy to support them in their endevour!

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I hope you are doing well!

I know: It is not a prop replica - however, I love what I received a few days ago.

Well, I bought one of the 40th-anniversary posters for The Empire Strikes Back by Matt Ferguson. The print is limited to 3,500 and in my opinion not just captures the heart of Empire but is also celebrating this cinematic masterpiece.

I had a real wood frame made and provided it with UV-protective museum glass. It was not exactly cheap, but it should now protect the print from yellowing and losing color.

I bought a bit more of the museum glass to test if it fits with some older frames I have as well, since it’s a bit thicker.

The test glass is now covering a beautiful art print by Jim Swearingen. He was the lead designer for the original Star Wars action figure line and worked for Kenner for over 15 years before the company was bought by Hasbro in 1992. The print is limited to only 100 pieces and signed by Jim.

I’ll definitely provide all other frames with the museum glass, too.

Stay safe!

Josh

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I know: It is not a prop replica - however, I love what I received a few days ago.

Well, I bought one of the 40th-anniversary posters for The Empire Strikes Back by Matt Ferguson. The print is limited to 3,500 and in my opinion not just captures the heart of Empire but is also celebrating this cinematic masterpiece.

I had a real wood frame made and provided it with UV-protective museum glass. It was not exactly cheap, but it should now protect the print from yellowing and losing color.

I bought a bit more of the museum glass to test if it fits with some older frames I have as well, since it’s a bit thicker.

The test glass is now covering a beautiful art print by Jim Swearingen. He was the lead designer for the original Star Wars action figure line and worked for Kenner for over 15 years before the company was bought by Hasbro in 1992. The print is limited to only 100 pieces and signed by Jim.

I’ll definitely provide all other frames with the museum glass, too.

Stay safe!

Josh
Nice! I thought Ferguson's print was one of the best releases this year. I was lucky enough to grab that one, along with the Japanese Variant.

Cool collection as well my man!

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Soooo. It took some time, but now the model is finally complete: After playing around with different colored acrylic mirrors, I came to the conclusion that there is really nothing better than "ordinary" mirrors. Playing around had a nice side effect though: I am now able to replace the mirrors and acrylic holders of Master Replicas displays - without any noticeable difference.

Furthermore, I replaced the acrylic cover with a new unscratched one. The crowning touch is a plaque signed by the model making artist John Simmons.

The speeder has now cost me a little more than 2.000 € (around $2,300) with all changes. Of course I would still like to own a perfectly fine MR-Speeder. But I am more than satisfied with the result of my current one.

Stay safe!

Josh

Reaction score
Would be also a nice addition for me to place him next to mine. If I ever find a broken cheap one that can be customized I may contact you :)
Chris

Reaction score
Sooooo - I hope you are doing well!

Now follows a more detailed review:

A few days ago I received #15 of the bust limited to 50 pieces.

For this 1:1 replica Regal Robot worked with a scan of the original costume to faithfully reproduce the organic asymmetry of the original prop. In my opinion, the Regal Robot team did achieve this asymmetric and organic look in a perfect way! The paint job of the Regal Robot FX team is just incredible! From my point of view, every buyer gets a unique work of art here. Especially the weathering looks great in different lighting.

Let's briefly look at some of the drawbacks:

I was a bit surprised by the stand of the bust. I had hoped that the base would be made of wood. Instead, the base is made of relatively thin plastic. I'm not a fan of that at all, since many small scratches can be immortalized here quite quickly.

Another disadvantage was the, well, relatively long transport from New York to Florida and then to Germany: The antenna, which is attached separately to the back of the bust, was sent in an envelope together with the COA. Since the antenna is a thin metal rod, it perforated the COA several times.

But especially here I have to praise the Regal Robot team. I only had to send them a picture of the destroyed COA - and they sent out a new COA to my US address on the same day. This is really a great customer service!

The bust itself was very well packed, but the transport still resulted in smaller paint chips on the lower chest corners:

Again, the Regal Robot team was kind enough to tell me the correct Tamiya color code so I will be able to retouch these little blemishes. Because of the weathering this should not be noticed any further. Nevertheless Regal Robot needs to come up with some improvements when shipping later maquettes, busts and statues and if necessary make packaging inlays out of styrofoam to avoid damages. Especially when I think of the Rancor...

This brings me to the last disadvantage: the price. When I pay $1,499 plus shipping and customs for a product that is not iconic at all compared to many other characters, I expect it to be in perfect condition. Unfortunately, this was not the case here. In the past evenings I have often wondered if the bust is worth this price. A good friend of mine would even be willing to buy the bust from me for a reasonable price. And although my wife finds the bust rather "creepy" and in comparison to other helmets in my collection rather unaesthetic, I have found more and more pleasure in the bust. It is a great conversation opener for the collection and simply something special that seems to be of much higher quality than comparable products from Sideshow.

Fans, who are looking for a cheaper prop-replica, I recommend the CZ-3 head from "zorg", which is sold from time to time over at the Replica Prop Forum. It's not as accurate as the Regal Robot CZ-3 in terms of its appearance in "A New Hope" - but the zorg-CZ-3 did appear in the first episode of the second season of "The Mandalorian". Thus, the CZ-3 from zorg is also screen-accurate in a certain point of view.

Stay safe!

Josh

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Unfortunately, I haven't been feeling well for three weeks now. I‘m staying in the hospital since yesterday, where I have to be operated tomorrow and will probably stay for quite a while. The biggest disadvantage: It is something more special, so unfortunately the costs are not completely covered by my insurance. Money that is missing for further prop replicas and other plans...

Nevertheless, I would like to give you a short update on my collection - also, to be a bit distracted.

First of all I bought the first version of the Sideshow Darth Vader bust, but except for the Sebastian Shaw head I have banished it to the basement for the time being because I lack of space to display it properly. The bust looks quite cool itself, but Shaw's face didn't pick me up at all. On the one hand it doesn't look very life-like, on the other hand I find especially the "lazy eye" strange. For this reason, I sent the head to the British sculptor Philip Robinson aka Cyberman, who not only is going to repaint it but also is adding glass eyes. I am curious about the result, because I like the sculpt itself and Phil's work is generally outstanding.

I also received some things from Regal Robot: I want to start with a new COA for my CZ-3, because the original was damaged during the shipping. Here I really have to praise Tom's team, because the exchange worked very fast and uncomplicated!

For a friend and me I also ordered some Wampa Warning Signs. These wooden wall panels represent a warning sign from a cut scene in the Rebel Base on Hoth, warning of Wampas and removed in a comical way by C-3PO. For the price of $29.99 I can warmly recommend this one to everyone, as it is truly a unique piece of wall decoration! I placed my sign behind my Regal Robot Tauntaun because, as mentioned above, I have very little space available.

Finally, the Jabba Concept Maquette arrived at my place as well. And what can I say: Compared to the more expensive Tauntaun bust (probably because of Phil Tippett's signature, otherwise I can't explain the price difference) this one is in no way inferior. In my opinion even better due since it is a painted maquette. Admittedly I was a bit concerned about the shipping. But it was delivered in perfect condition. On the way from my address in the States to Germany the maquette did not suffer any damage. I guess, smaller busts are much easier to pack in general than big ones, like CZ-3, if you only produce small amounts of something.

Although I'm still a bit unhappy with the smaller color chips on my CZ-3 bust due to the transport, I have to confess: The things Tom's Studio produces are gorgeous and I'm very much looking forward to the Rancor, Gamorrean and further upcoming projects. His effort of creating products in the US in best quality and on time makes me very happy.

Unfortunately I can't show you any more pictures due to my stay in hospital...

Stay safe and healthy!

Josh

Reaction score
Get well soon Josh! Great additions to your collection. I was also pleasantly surprised by the quality of the Jabba maquette. It’s a piece that pictures don’t do justice to.

Reaction score
Hope you recover fast! Thanks for the review. I hope the Rancor will be shipped within styro and an official colour box and shipper!
Chris

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Happy new year! I hope you’re all doing well!

After being off for a little over six weeks now, I've been back at work since last week. I can guarantee you: there is quite a bit of work left to do. Actually, I could work through day and night. Of course, that is not bad in the current situation.

Since Christmas, however, I have generally been feeling a lot better. Moreover, I have started with a cortisone therapy last week. Thus, my current health situation is going uphill.

Since I do not know exactly how this year will turn out for me and my family, I am holding back on replica purchases. Nevertheless, I would like to share with you what has happened in my collection since last month.

First, I framed two art prints that have been sitting around for a while. On one hand, there’s Randy Martinez’s "Obsession" from Celebration Japan, which I really like based on the color contrasts.

On the other hand, it’s "Tribute" by Brian Rood, which is a beautiful tribute to Ralph McQuarrie.

Since I was more or less just sitting around at home after the surgery, my brother helped me make more room in the living room for my collection. Finally I was able to present my EFX TIE Fighter as well as my MR Snowspeeder in a fitting way.

Although the RS Prop Masters Y-Wing Helmet, which everyone is waiting for, has not arrived yet, I got something very special shortly after Christmas: A Signature Edition Y-Wing Gold Leader Helmet, with a signed plaque by Angus MacInnes. Currently there are only 25 pieces out there - but there is a waiting list for another 75 pieces.

Here you can see the helmet between three other RS Props X-Wing helmets in the apartment of my mate Dan.

And although I already have an HDPE Stormtrooper helmet, I had bought another regular stunt helmet as part of the RS Prop Masters Black Friday sale. I just love its asymmetrical shape.

By the way, I sold my CZ-3. However, if I should ever come across a Signature Edition, I would probably buy it.

Stay healthy!

Josh

Last edited:
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the wait list for the remaining 75 RS Props Gold Leader helmets will also be signature editions?

**edit** I'll answer my own question. Andrea at RS got back to me and told me yes, they will be SEs.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the wait list for the remaining 75 RS Props Gold Leader helmets will also be signature editions?

**edit** I'll answer my own question. Andrea at RS got back to me and told me yes, they will be SEs.
Are they all spoken for now?

Reaction score
I sure hope not. I was told that I was put on the wait list and no body has gotten in touch with me after that. Did you hear the remaining 75 have been sold?
I only ask as I was interested in getting one but if you are already on the wait list you should be golden ;)