Johnson "defends" TLJ yet again.

Reaction score
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/rian-johnson-last-jedi-backlash-231126485.html

I came across this article on yahoo tonight. The guy just doesn't get it!! He's been defending & explaining the movie for more than a year, & now he expects us to believe that he "honored" the originals by ignoring TFA's set-ups, wrecking Luke's character, and going overboard on the PC-stuff most fans do not want to see in a SW movie?! Now, while I didn't hate TLJ the way many do, I was not a fan of a lot of his little "plot twists," especially Luke tossing the saber, a scene that I'd say most of us felt was sacred, that it would be the moment Luke realized he needed to come out from hiding and be the bada** Jedi we know he could be. Hey Johnson, if you had honored the originals as much as you say, you wouldn't NEED to continue defending it to a legion of fans whom you at the very least disappointed, and at worst angered & turned off from the Saga!

Last edited:
Reaction score
"stepping outside the bounds (of what came before)" and "Stepping OUT OF bounds (to subvert the game itself)" are not the same thing.

Last edited:
Reaction score
and yeah. he needs to just drop it.

I thought KK said it was time to heal? or something? (so stop picking at the scab already)

Reaction score
I wish this tedious misguided fool would just pi55 off back down into his hole. Digging up this cr@p after 2 years will only hurt TROS and it's on life support already.

Last edited:
Reaction score
For someone who claims that he wants to make movies that half the audience hates, he sure does get defensive when people actually criticize his movies.

Reaction score
I honestly don't get this man and how he consistently claims his "bold choices" were on par with what the originals did from episode to episode. The dude is delusional if he sincerely thinks they're akin. What universe does he live in? Well I know which one he doesn't...and that's the SW universe. Because if you ask me, the dude clearly wanted to make his own sci-fi film from scratch (think something like Jupiter Ascending)...but I've always theorized all of Hollywood shot him down. So instead he decided to leech off a famous franchise, but make it into his own individual project and loosely adhere to the SW mythos.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Man, you guys are so right! I long for the day when Rian Johnson says, "you know what, all those shrieking morons on the internet were right! I did make a bad movie."

Reaction score
Man, you guys are so right! I long for the day when Rian Johnson says, "you know what, all those shrieking morons on the internet were right! I did make a bad movie."
I couldn't give a **** what he thinks

Reaction score
I couldn't give a **** what he thinks
I'm with you HaothHan. I don't give a **** either.

But what some other people fail to realize is that most of the "shrieking morons" don't care as well.
What they do care about is how Ruin Johnson insults everybody that doesn't like his movie.

Reaction score
I don't know why it even matters, I don't like plenty of movies. Even Oscar winning ones...

It's about time he takes that bee out of his bonnet, and releases it into the world to be happy.

Reaction score
You are changing an observation that he needs to shut up and go away into a re-tread of an old argument that is past it's sell-by date.

The present issue is that, regardless of your position with regard to TLJ, it cannot be denied that damage was done to the goodwill value of the franchise.

His presence and stated claims are divisive and by re-emerging and further stoking controversy he will run the risk of yet more damage to the next instalment and some else's work (which may well have been done already if certain points of view about Solo are to be believed).

Your position of blind allegiance is therefore not relevant to this case.

Reaction score
What?

What does not giving a **** about what some director thinks have to do with me reading and participating in this thread?
If you didn't care about his opinion, you wouldn't click on a thread that was all about Johnson expressing his opinion.

If you actually "don't care", you'd never read and participate in another TLJ thread again.

But you folks live to b*tch.

Reaction score
You are changing an observation that he needs to shut up and go away into a re-tread of an old argument that is past it's sell-by date.

The present issue is that, regardless of your position with regard to TLJ, it cannot be denied that damage was done to the goodwill value of the franchise.

His presence and stated claims are divisive and by re-emerging and further stoking controversy he will run the risk of yet more damage to the next instalment and some else's work (which may well have been done already if certain points of view about Solo are to be believed).

Your position of blind allegiance is therefore not relevant to this case.
His very "presence is divisive"? He needs to "go away"? What would satisfy you people? Should he kill himself? Or just never talk about SW again, even when he's specifically asked about it, like in the very interview this thread links to?

Should he say, "no, sorry, can't talk about star wars. It upsets people when I do that. I need to protect their precious little feelings."

I'm sure you folks would be delighted by that.

I wonder how you people actually function in the real world when you're so easily rattled. Oy vey...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Oh...so this is where some of the inmates go when the asylum (JTA) is closed?

Rian has every right to defend his work, especially in light of hysterical and grandiose statements by people who should know better that state that he ruined Star Wars. I hope he continues to carry on. TLJ was a very good movie. Good for him.

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]“That’s why those movies are great. That’s why they’re alive. If they had been looking at something that came before it and saying, ‘Oh, we better not do this because that is outside of this or that,’ it would’ve been different.”

Yes, it's a good thing they didn't look at anything that came before it when creating Star Wars. It would've been a disaster had they been influenced by Hidden Fortress, or Metropolis, or Flash Gordon. Better to go with your gut and throw out all traditional storytelling conventions instead...[/FONT]

Reaction score
If you didn't care about his opinion, you wouldn't click on a thread that was all about Johnson expressing his opinion.

If you actually "don't care", you'd never read and participate in another TLJ thread again.

But you folks live to b*tch.

His very "presence is divisive"? He needs to "go away"? What would satisfy you people? Should he kill himself? Or just never talk about SW again, even when he's specifically asked about it, like in the very interview this thread links to?

Should he say, "no, sorry, can't talk about star wars. It upsets people when I do that. I need to protect their precious little feelings."

I'm sure you folks would be delighted by that.

I wonder how you people actually function in the real world when you're so easily rattled. Oy vey...
I've always been baffled by this technique, some sanctimonious statement condemning anyone complaining. You do realize you're complaining about complaining...right? Films are made to be enjoyed. Sometimes that doesn't work out. I fail to see how analyzing a films failures, subjectively, is somehow an inherently negative thing. It's discussion. You know, something a message board was created to spark. It can add very valid points and thought. What I also fail to see is...what exactly complaining about complaining adds to a discussion outside of just giving yourself a holier than thou soapbox to put others valid opinions down. Does it make you feel like a big man? More important? What value does it bring to the table to share? All this talk about how people do care about what Rian has to say, even when claiming they don't, claiming if they don't want to hear what he has to say then don't read it. I don't disagree, but it begs a question: if you don't like seeing people complain about films, why are you in a film section of a message board? Hm? Pot meet kettle! You do know you're going to see animals when you enter the zoo, right? The long and short of it is...it brings nothing to the table but a self-entitled attention grab. All it gives us to discuss is, oh wow, Lance doesn't like reading complaints about Rian Johnson. My how valuable! That really adds so much to the topic. Pssh! I wonder how you actually function in the real world when you're so easily rattled by something as trivial as film critique. You're on a toy-oriented internet message board sub-forum created for critiquing films! My how stable you must be. But thanks for sharing that you're tired of reading criticism for Rian. I truly don't think I could have made it through my day without that intrinsically valuable knowledge. :rolleyes:

See Lance...that right there is called getting owned. I'm sure you encounter that a lot in your clearly oh so pragmatic life. I mean, we may as well just give you this forum. You know, since you seem to think you own it. :whistling:

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've always been baffled by this technique, some sanctimonious statement condemning anyone complaining. You do realize you're complaining about complaining...right? Films are made to be enjoyed. Sometimes that doesn't work out. I fail to see how analyzing a films failures, subjectively, is somehow an inherently negative thing. It's discussion. You know, something a message board was created to spark. It can add very valid points and thought. What I also fail to see is...what exactly complaining about complaining adds to a discussion outside of just giving yourself a holier than thou soapbox to put others valid opinions down. Does it make you feel like a big man? More important? What value does it bring to the table to share? All this talk about how people do care about what Rian has to say, even when claiming they don't, claiming if they don't want to hear what he has to say then don't read it. I don't disagree, but it begs a question: if you don't like seeing people complain about films, why are you in a film section of a message board? Hm? Pot meet kettle! You do know you're going to see animals when you enter the zoo, right? The long and short of it is...it brings nothing to the table but a self-entitled attention grab. All it gives us to discuss is, oh wow, Lance doesn't like reading complaints about Rian Johnson. My how valuable! That really adds so much to the topic. Pssh! I wonder how you actually function in the real world when you're so easily rattled by something as trivial as film critique. You're on a toy-oriented internet message board sub-forum created for critiquing films! My how stable you must be. But thanks for sharing that you're tired of reading criticism for Rian. I truly don't think I could have made it through my day without that intrinsically valuable knowledge. :rolleyes:

See Lance...that right there is called getting owned. I'm sure you encounter that a lot in your clearly oh so pragmatic life. I mean, we may as well just give you this forum. You know, since you seem to think you own it. :whistling:
And you’re complaining about him complaining about your complaining which leads to you complaining about me and Paul from JTA having a good old moan...

Reaction score
And you’re complaining about him complaining about your complaining which leads to you complaining about me and Paul from JTA having a good old moan...
Well yes, that I am aware of. Hah! But I'm not the one saying only certain complaints are valid and deserve to be included on a message board...and implying the ones I don't agree with need removed. Someone needs to call him out on this BS.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well yes, that I am aware of. Hah! But I'm not the one saying only certain complaints are valid and deserve to be included on a message board...and implying the ones I don't agree with need removed. Someone needs to call him out on this BS.
In all honesty. I thought Rebelscum Message Boards were a different beast to the JTA message boards. But, the people here have issues. Can’t get over TLJ, utterly and completely in opposition to almost whatever Disney do, claiming to know the passion/love of Star Wars creators and at every opportunity seeing bad where there is good. The trendy, hip, counter culture, hyper critical vociferous milieu of Star Wars aficionados need to correct Disney’s faults and restore Lucas to the throne (or themselves).

Reaction score
In all honesty. I thought Rebelscum Message Boards were a different beast to the JTA message boards. But, the people here have issues. Can’t get over TLJ, utterly and completely in opposition to almost whatever Disney do, claiming to know the passion/love of Star Wars creators and at every opportunity seeing bad where there is good. The trendy, hip, counter culture, hyper critical vociferous milieu of Star Wars aficionados need to correct Disney’s faults and restore Lucas to the throne (or themselves).

Don't worry so much about us, we're just a vocal minority ;-)

Reaction score
In all honesty. I thought Rebelscum Message Boards were a different beast to the JTA message boards.
That's where the people who got banned from here hang out and kiss the website owner's over-sensitive butt.

Reaction score
The (TLJ) movie (more of a collection of nonsense scenes meant for a bad SW game cut aways) was just terrible on all levels. Really so bad that it even killed the Solo movie. I also think it will hurt the last installment from this Disney SW train wreck of a sequel movie series.

Reaction score
The (TLJ) movie (more of a collection of nonsense scenes meant for a bad SW game cut aways) was just terrible on all levels. Really so bad that it even killed the Solo movie. I also think it will hurt the last installment from this Disney SW train wreck of a sequel movie series.
It bothers me how the media failed to mention TLJ as being PART of the reason for Solo underperforming. Obviously there were a number of factors but for some reason the fallout of TLJ, especially discontent from older fans, never seems to be mentioned.

Reaction score
It bothers me how the media failed to mention TLJ as being PART of the reason for Solo underperforming. Obviously there were a number of factors but for some reason the fallout of TLJ, especially discontent from older fans, never seems to be mentioned.
It's a shame too, because I thought Solo was pretty good.

Reaction score
Solo would have flopped without TLJ’s bad aftertaste. More power to anyone for enjoying it, but it’s just a tepid, unfunny GOTG-wannabe minus the charismatic leads.

Say what you may about this Sequel and TLJ— at least Daisy is full-force charisma and owns every single horrible scene she’s in. Can’t say that about the stunningly awkward Alden, who always looks like he’s embarrassed to be playing Han.

I couldn’t care for this Sequel if I tried harder, and yet there are still a few scenes that are admittedly full of mood and even fun in TLJ: Snoke’s throne room scenery-chewing; the following fight with Reylo vs The Crazy 88’s; and Lukes’ death. Wonderfully performed and full of emotions. Not a single scene of Solo’s makes a lick of sense, is unfunny and all awfully performed by actors who all look like they don’t want to be there.

Good for Rian for still defending his dreck. However, it’s not going o change my mind that TLJ is dreck. Still heads above TFA and Solo, tho.

Reaction score
Solo would have flopped without TLJ’s bad aftertaste.
Exactly.

'Solo' failed because it was 'Solo'. Other factors have a part to play, but the film practically failed from the first announcement and everyone went "meh". Then when the film came out and it was just a poor series of character damaging prop collections and explanations nobody asked for, wrapped around an insipid story, coupled with lacklustre reviews, there wasn't going to be any kind of a turnaround.

It's tragic it was greenlit in the first place, because all the rubbish in it is now canon.

Reaction score
Well, that's the problem Disney has. Do you make a movie about an Iconic character that's younger, possibly a few days prior to ANH. Or do you make a movie about one of those background characters?

The probably felt that since everyone loves Han Solo, it's a given. I don't ever really recall anyone asking for a Solo movie though. Yet how many years after asking for an Obi-Wan movie, they finally announce a Disney+ series. lol

People here seem to think Boba Fett isn't a good choice either. So who do you make a movie about? It' also seems that people don't like "unknown" or new ideas, considering how poorly they do at the theaters.

Most of the characters that might have an interesting story are totally unknown to 90% of the audience, so how to you market that?

I've long said that I think they need to flesh out more of the Aliens as main characters instead of basic Humans all the time. other than Chewy, I can't recall more than two who were noteworthy.

The Mandalorian seems to have promise, but still heavily based in SW lore and s=familiar settings. We'll see how it goes.

Reaction score
You point out one of the problems, but it still about poor writing and directing skills. Until they have both, none of the movies or TV series will be around long. I mean who cares about any of the Disney SW movie characters? No one. They were written so poorly that if they live or die in the movie no one cares. Look at the upcoming Star Wars movie, the Emperor and a 80 year old Lando had to be brought in. Are you kidding me!? Add a Luke spirit and old cut out Leia scenes from the force awakens because they have nothing but a pile of nonsense. Hell I’m half expecting a Han Solo ghost to show up. Why not? It’s anything goes anyway.

Reaction score
Well, that's the problem Disney has. Do you make a movie about an Iconic character that's younger, possibly a few days prior to ANH. Or do you make a movie about one of those background characters?
It's a problem they bring upon themselves though. There's no need to keep mining classic characters of bygone eras, whether they're iconic or from the background, and subsequently ruining them in the process. Star Wars is a big galaxy, stuffed with potential new characters. What's needed are the writers to write them and the quality stories that they appear in. This is what has been missing from Disney's Star Wars more than anything else. The writing in everything, bar 'Rogue One', has been atrocious.

The probably felt that since everyone loves Han Solo, it's a given. I don't ever really recall anyone asking for a Solo movie though. Yet how many years after asking for an Obi-Wan movie, they finally announce a Disney+ series. lol
No doubt the minds at Disney thought they could just pick a popular character, recast it, and write some flimsy tale and reckon that everyone will just suck it up regardless. Happily that proved to be wrong, otherwise we'd be looking at endless recasts of iconic characters, until those characters become meaningless watered down shadows. Characters aren't just cyphers that can be played by just anyone, especially in long running series. Recasts for remakes and whatnot can be ok, which is why multiple actors playing MacBeth is fine, because there's just a single story. But in something like Star Wars, a recast of people like Han Solo or Luke Skywalker is just a terrible idea from the get go.

Hopefully, that's the end of Disney's recasting attempts. Because that really will be the path to ruin.

In the end, 'Solo' has its fans and that's fair enough. It has some good scenes compared to 'The Last Jedi', it's an absolute masterpiece. But, it was a bad idea from the very beginning and even I could have told Disney that. It was an ill conceived, badly written tale that reduced a beloved character to a mere prop collector, who's major story beats of original films all happen in a single adventure.

People here seem to think Boba Fett isn't a good choice either. So who do you make a movie about? It' also seems that people don't like "unknown" or new ideas, considering how poorly they do at the theaters. Most of the characters that might have an interesting story are totally unknown to 90% of the audience, so how to you market that?
Fett isn't a good choice. Not at all. In fact, the more that's revealed about Fett the worse it becomes. His inclusion in the prequels was a wretched idea and 'Rebels' just made things worse. Boba Fett worked best when we knew nothing about him. This is because he was simply a henchman. He was written that way originally. He was just a secondary bad guy that fandom demanded to know more about.

But the way to go about marketing Star Wars is to simply market Star Wars. New Star Wars stories can work, 'Rogue One' is testament to that. Star Wars' galaxy and environments is actually its biggest selling point, not any one character or group of characters. It's the story that the characters move through that's the most important element, not really the characters themselves, although they are important too. But the story is paramount. You can have fantastic characters, but if the story they're in is poor, it won't matter how good the characters are.

The Mandalorian seems to have promise
I think it's the best future prospect at this time and the trailer seems to indicate something good alright. Like many on here and elsewhere, I have little interest in Ep.IX and I, genuinely, have no faith that it will suddenly make the sequel trilogy good. There's just been too much damage done through inept handling by Disney for that to happen on a truly satisfactory basis.

But, at present, 'The Mandalorian' seems to be in good hands. But we won't know for sure until the show makes its appearance.