JERBA reference pic-- Star Wars packbeast

Reaction score
If anyone is working on a Mos Eisley diorama, OR a Jabba's Palace diorama, I thought this picture might come in handy.

It's a very rare photo of a Jerba, as seen from the FRONT. In ANH it is only visible from the rear.

The Jerba packbeast hangs out outside the cantina, and a Jerba head is mounted on Jabba's trophy wall opposite the Tauntaun head.

This photo comes from the HARDBACK version of Dale Pollock's Skywalking, The Life and Films of George Lucas. The paperback version does not include this picture, oddly enough.

Alex

Reaction score
Owen said:
Its in the softcover version, too. Or at least mine. Owen D
Interesting. Many years ago, I mentioned the pic to David West Reynolds via correspondence-- the old-fashioned snail mail kind-- primarily because on the 'instruction sheet' for his Kenner-style Mos Eisley playset, he had created the name Minyak for the beastie.

He asked where I'd seen the name in print-- and being an archaeologist he quickly noted that Jerba was the name of either an island or a town, I forget which, near where Star Wars was shot in Tunisia.

I told him the Jerba pic was in Skywalking, and he said it wasn't in his version. Finally, we established that he was looking at his sole paperback copy, and I was looking at my hardback. Sure enough, I pulled down my paperback and was surprised to notice that it wasn't in MY paperback either.

We should compare printings and see whether it is earlier or later paperbacks that have the Jerba pic.

Alex

Reaction score
That is awesome!! I love when I find stuff out that I don't know of. It's amazing, after all these years, I still learn new things about ANH.

Reaction score
New_BornalexWe should compare printings and see whether it is earlier or later paperbacks that have the Jerba pic. Alex [/quote said:
Its on page 81 of my softcover edition which is a first edition of the updated 1990 release by Samuel French (the publisher). I also believe that Djerba (I think that's the original spelling) is the Tunisian island that the mosque used as Ben Kenobi's house is on, but I could be wrong on that.

One of the rules of customizing is that you find your best source materials after you've finished a custom. That was the case when I made my Jerba a few years ago and then bought Skywalking, D'oh!

Reaction score
CHEWIE said:
I believe Stephen Hayford made a custom of this beast of burden too.
I thought about making one from a Mastadge, from Hasbro's STARGATE movie toys. But I think it would be easier to just scratch build it. Any idea where to find pics of Hayford's version?

Reaction score
New_Bornalex said:
CHEWIE said:
I thought about making one from a Mastadge, from Hasbro's STARGATE movie toys. But I think it would be easier to just scratch build it. Any idea where to find pics of Hayford's version?
Hasbro actually made one... It is probably pretty bad, I have a few of the basic figures and a glider. The sculpts are no good at all. They came out in 1994 so Imagune a super buff Daniel that looks nothing like him and you've got figure
. They only made like 8 and they made a dune buggy too which I thought was wierd but whatever. I'd like to get more anyways because I do love my Stargate! If you ever make one I'd love to see it!

EDIT: COMPLETELY IGNORE THAT. I read your post wrong
, I though you said you were going to scratch build a Mastadge. Well post pics of your Jerba if you make one, or a mastadge.

Reaction score
New_Bornalex said:
CHEWIE said:

You can see all kinds of different customizer stuff at the Scum crosslinks. HERE.

Reaction score
"The dead SPEAK!"

Okay, it's time to bring this VERY old thread back from the grave.

Even though this conversation began almost FIFTEEN YEARS ago, I still never made a custom Jerba.

I've now taken my first tiny steps towards doing so!

But first things first, a little housekeeping. Let's fix a broken photo link and put all my collected reference pics from the last several years together into one nice location for reference.

Jerba as seen in Mos Eisley (1)
Jerba 3.jpg

Jerba as seen in Mos Eisley (2)
Jerba 5.jpg

Jerba with George and Marcia Lucas in Tunisia (from the book Skywalking by Dale Pollock)
Jerba 1.jpg

Carrie Fisher riding a Jerba at some unknown event (image found online)
Jerba 2.jpg

David Prowse and Peter Mayhew in front of Jerba at most likely the same event (image found online)
Jerba 4.jpg

If anyone has any other angles of this prop, let me know!

Alex

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Alex!! So good to see you posting again; I need you to get over to the dioramas forum and fix or re-post your pics of your fantastic Dios in your specific threads! Check out the new Index; I’ve got everyone in alphabetical order per scene per movie now 🥴

Reaction score
Now then, as you probably know, Hasbro has finally made a Jerba!

Well... part of one anyway.

The Jerba prop from ANH, as well as a Tauntaun prop from ESB, were repurposed for trophy heads in Jabba's Palace in ROTJ.

Jerba Jabba.jpg

They added horns to the Jerba to make it appear more like a worthy trophy, I guess. Which begs the question, is that one male? Was the one in Mos Eisley female?

[And wouldn't a WAMPA have been a more impressive trophy than a Tauntaun?

wampa1-puppet.jpg

But I guess they couldn't use the 'good' Wampa head for Jabba's wall, since that was a smaller-scale puppet.]

So right now you can walk in your Wal-Mart's toy aisle and find the Jabba's Palace playset.

DSC08370b.jpg

I really like this piece. It harkens back to the good ol' Kenner days from the 80s with the sculpted plastic environments for the action figures. And there are the Tauntaun and Jerba heads, right where they should be.

DSC08396b.jpg

Certainly an improvement over the old cardboard playset, which due to a lack of good reference had a Tauntaun on the Jerba side.

Tauntaun.jpg

It ought to break my heart to even think of destroying such a magnificent playset just to make a Mos Eisley Jerba out of it.

DSC08436b.jpg

Oh! Maybe I forgot to mention. Shortly after Christmas, the Wal-Mart website had them on for half price. So I bought two of them.

DSC08395b.jpg

Considering it comes with two carded action figures that Wal-Mart normally charges about $13 for, getting the playsets for $25 each was like having someone give us the plastic walls for free. (Jawas not included. They were other recent purchases when I was snapping pics.)

DSC08437b.jpg

So I selected the central wall section with the less perfect paint apps...

DSC08443b.jpg

... and set about removing the trophy heads. The Tauntaun came off with just a bit of leverage.

DSC08444b.jpg

The Jerba proved much more difficult. I had to put it in the tub and let it soak in hot water for a few minutes, and then yanked it off with a washcloth over my hand.

DSC08445b.jpg

So here are the heads, now I just have to sculpt a body for the Jerba.

DSC08446b.jpg

[I've decided to abandon my older Stargate Mastadge cutdown idea, mentioned earlier in this thread. Though I have to say, major points to JediKnutt for suggesting the same possible body on Facebook fifteen years later.]

Plus, the wall could still be useful in the background of a scene, slightly out of focus.

DSC08448b.jpg

You can sand down the nubs where the heads were glued on, and Sculpey over them and repaint them if you want. Or take the quick and easy route and just digitally paint them out of your photos, like this...

DSC08448c.jpg

And it does appear that the horns of the Jerba are separately molded. They should be fairly easy to remove.

Then it's just a matter of patching up the holes where the horns were, which in itself should be much easier than sculpting the body from scratch.

Stay tuned. Hopefully the next update will not take me until 2035.

Alex

Reaction score
Ahh, so that's how they are connected. I noticed the indentations on the back, but I was curious about how the heads themselves looked when detached.

Reaction score
Sorry I haven't updated the Jerba project yet.

I have a great alibi, though. This new Jabba's Palace playset made me go searching through my stored collection for the scene-appropriate figures to display with it...

My storage room was originally laid out in six sections as you went around clockwise, in chronological order of the movies that had come out to that point: ANH, ESB, ROTJ, TPM, AOTC, ROTS. But as you can expect, then it began to get cluttered with other things. Soon it was just a mass of cardboard storage boxes vaguely reminiscent of the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Although I found the 2010 Jabba's Throne from Wal-Mart with relative ease in the expected ROTJ section, and a few of the most recent Palace denizens in boxes of figures grouped not by film scene but by what year they were released, I couldn't find any of the older figures. No Ephant Mon, no Hermi Odle, no Pote Snitkin, nothing that predated when we'd moved to this house around 2006.

And so began a MASSIVE sifting project to go through every single box and reorganize. I couldn't find them anywhere near the ROTJ area, so I decided to just begin at the door and work my way around, box by box. After two or three days, just in front of a white shelf with Cloud City scenes on it, I shifted aside boxes marked 'Carbon Freeze Chamber' and 'Force Unleashed', and there they were!

Two boxes marked "Jabba's Palace 2005" and "Sarlacc, Skiff Guards, Gams 2005".

So here they are, uncrated for the first time in fifteen years, and intermingled with a few figures that had come out since.

Yeah, I know Oola and Boussh shouldn't be in the same scene, but I was just happy to find them.

I wanted to explore just how good they looked without anything additional added, just toys released several years apart grouped together.

I think the 2019 Palace walls look GREAT behind the older figures. If I find those Palace sets on clearance again, I might just buy a couple more and expand this environment. I also want to do a custom floor with grille in it. I might even raise it slightly to suggest a Rancor pit below, but that's going to require something sturdier than foamcore. Maybe plywood? I've never really worked in wood before, though.

It was also interesting to find figures that came out in different waves, tucked away in two locations, and FINALLY put them together with their scene-specific companions. I was amazed to discover I'd apparently never had these five 'Sandstorm' figures together before now!

Likewise, I don't think I'd ever had these two guys together with the Rancor before!

And husky skiff-driver Pote Snitkin fits MUCH better in the 2019 skiff than he did in the 1999 or 2009 versions (both of which reused the mold of the old Kenner one).

I'm also planning to make a custom 'Sgt. Doallyn' figure from a Bane Malar body and a Brock Starsher helmet.

Alas, their neckposts are not the same size, so it wasn't the non-damaging pop and swap I had hoped for.

So now I've got extras of both on their way via eBay.

I'm also still hoping to find the most recent figures of Weequay and Nikto among other boxes. Those came out around the time that my brain finally lost mental count of what all SW figures I already had versus those I lacked, so I fear I missed out on them at retail. I looked at their prices on eBay and YOWCH, those two are going to hurt. Fingers crossed I already have them, in some forgotten box.

Seems like this one 'Mos Eisley Jerba' custom project is going to start a small avalanche of Return of the Jedi custom projects as well.

Stay tuned!

Alex

Last edited:
Reaction score
Great shots of those Alex, nice to see those groups finally getting completed and together. Looking forward to those customs too.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Looks great, pal- and if I can suggest: Hermi Odle takes the water treatment technique beautifully. Just hold him under a running faucet for half a minute until his cloak is fully drenched, then stand him up a table and "mold" the cloak into the draping, heavy shapes it should be. Leave it to dry, and it will retain the shape!

Reaction score
Memory triggered... I am almost certain I did that when the figure came out. But being stored in a jumbled box of figures for over a decade means he's due for another dose.

Alex