jedibabu - Caution if dealing with him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I've brought this item from jedibabu via email has I've dealt with him on RS before.

The card and bubble are legit but have been resealed with a figure and damaged gun. The bubble did have a split in the side before shipping which I was told about. I also purchased another item at the same time.

kIByujW.jpg

ymoi1Cz.jpg

b7qY7nY.jpg

bpUfOmg.jpg

Anyway it arrived like this. Poorly packed IMO and the figure has burst through the bubble causing a second big crack in the top.

R2kS7cM.jpg

F2HUopZ.jpg

buYTMvm.jpg

So I contact the seller....

Me:Have you seen the pics? the biker scout popped though the top of the bubble cracking it during shipping.

Seller:Huh! I am very sorry it went through the bubble. There was no way ro protect it better. Is the bubble still in place so that the figure displays nice. I guess the "other figure" is good.

Me:Yes the "other figure"is fine. However the BS is not in the condition it was sold to me as it has now been damaged further during shipping. As for protecting bubbles there is plenty that can be done during shipping, I've sold and shipped 60+ items myself. To be honest I'm looking at more than just a sorry as I'm at no fault here. Awaiting your response.

Seller:I understand. However please note the item was described in great detail with all the flaws. It is not a mint on card example, but a recarded item. I have read back the description, and everything is accuratly explained, including the crack on th side of the blister. I have also verified the pictures were very detailed and correctly displaying item conditions. You had no specific requests for the shipping, I beleve the boxing and the individual packaging of the figure was very appropriate. The "other figure" was not damaged in the same box. With these old, and low quality bootlegs things can go wrong in shipping. Just remember a guy on RS who had a 5000USD MOC vader crushing through the bubble during shipping. I think the bubble will still hold the figure in place and it will not influence the display of the item. Please note these figures anyway are easily out of the bubbles as they are not sealed but stapled. In terms of value, this figure cost you less than 200 bucks, whereas only the scout would sell for a hundred and a cardback sells at around 150, while MOCs go for minimum of 400-500 dollars.
Please accept these as my reply and I hope you still consider this to be a good deal.

Me:This crack is new. The bubble now has two cracks, the original on the side and the new one on the top from shipping. Therefore the item is not as described.
Me:I seriously has issues with your "I don't care attitude", you were responsible for packing the items and the bubble now has two cracks in it not one! I'll keep this simple. I'd like this matter resolved before the weekend so you have a think how to put it right and come back to me? We'll speak again soon

Seller:I do care. I am a collector. You wanted me to dig my collection, for items you needed. I did that, I presented options, I honestly described the options, I supplied background info, pictures. I did not push you into a buy. Damage in post was your risk. I did not receive any specific requests for the blister, I packaged very diligently. I do care, because the price I gave the items away were more than realistic, respecting the condition of the biker. I cannot help further. There is certainly some risk in buying and asking to ship these vintage items. I take the same risk each and every time, and I never expected the seller to cover for my damage. I literally threw away 200USD when an AFA MOC Kenner AT-AT driver came through the bubble in post. Even think AFA acrilyc case and grading had to be destroyed and I sold the figure loose for 20USD. And as explained the set even as loose figure, weapon and cardback is worth the money and displays well.
Please accept these and please do not accuse me of being careless.

Me:Are you prepared to offer a full refund for the item?

Seller:No. I explained my position.

Some facts

1.I knew the item was a recard using original bits and wanted to buy if for a gun and sell on the rest to recover my out of pocket expenses.
2.I paid extra for tracked shipping as I didn't want to risk any loss/damage in the post.
3.I paid as a standard paypal payment and not as gift.
4.The seller decided to mark the item as GIFT with a value of $40 on the customs label.
5.Seller claims I'm responsible for packing and shipping!
6.Seller does not seem to want to resolve the issue.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think you have to be a bit pragmatic in cases like this. It's a bummer but the bubble was already cracked and was a reseal so it's not like a pristine piece has been spoiled. It's a damaged fragile piece which has become slightly 'more' damaged and fragile as a result of shipping.

It happened to me with a bubble coming off during shipping from the US to the UK. The seller was a forum member and he apologised to me but I didn't push him for money back because I didn't really feel it was his fault. It's just one of these things where it's a disappointment but there was no malicious intent, shipping fragile vintage items is always a risk... Sorry this has happened but even with the best packaging in the world damage can occur.

Reaction score
I recently purchased a stormtrooper that had a known crack in the bubble. The item was packaged very well and was very secure, but the figure still managed to break through the bubble and cause more damage during shipping. A crack in the already brittle plastic seems like a gamble when shipping. It's an unfortunate situation, but one that seems hard to fault someone for.

Reaction score
I don't care for the bootlegs, but yeah, unless I'm shipping in the US, i don't touch these things in terms of selling them...sorry, hope it works out...if I was the seller I'd definitley try to refund half your money - then again, I would have tried to reach an agreement before hand that should something happen, which is obivously likelier than if you're dealing with normal figs, that we'd split the cost...good luck.

Reaction score
R2kS7cM.jpg

that is not an appropriate way to pack anything. If at least some protection was given to the fragile bubble and damage occured so be it. But by the looks of it nothing was used to give it any chance of surviving. I'd treat a $15 cracked bubble common ROTJ MOC with more respect.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm glad some people have seen the issue here, the packaging was insufficient for the item and I'm be told that was my responsibility?!?!

Ask for the sellers he has point blank refusal to resolve the issue with me, customer service = zero!!

Reaction score
It arrived in a different condition than you paid for, it sucks for both parties but it is what it is. File a claim with paypal and don't deal with him again.
A bubble can be protected but I think the buyer should be clear on that with the shipping instructions, if it had been in a AFA case the same would have happened.
The bubble would have had to been surrounded by something secure, not out of the question considering the common knowledge of the fragility of these bubbles.
In the end you received one card safe and sound and one busted. You wanted just the gun anyway so do you send them both back or take the hit. There is a lessen someone here...

Reaction score
I agree completely that there is no excuse for poor packaging. After my experience, I've been trying to be better about inquiring how the item will be packaged and shipped. Unfortunately there are people out there that think shipping a carded figure in an envelope is acceptable. I hope you're able to get things resolved.

Reaction score
The seller really should have sent it with a home made cardboard frame around the bubble that attached onto a piece of cardboard that covered the front and back of the card, it was too fragile to send as it was.

Im really not sure what the answer is here in regards to refunds or splitting costs, but good luck sorting it out Walkie, cheers

Reaction score
This one is tough, but I have some questions and comments.

Some facts

1.I knew the item was a recard using original bits and wanted to buy if for a gun and sell on the rest to recover my out of pocket expenses.
2.I paid extra for tracked shipping as I didn't want to risk any loss/damage in the post.
3.I paid as a standard paypal payment and not as gift.
4.The seller decided to mark the item as GIFT with a value of $40 on the customs label.
5.Seller claims I'm responsible for packing and shipping!
6.Seller does not seem to want to resolve the issue.

1. Ok, so it was recarded, and you had every intention of opening it up again to take the weapon. Because of this, I do not see why such a big deal is being made of the figure coming out of the bubble during shipping, since that's what you were going to do to it anyway.

2. Tracked shipping only covers a lost item. It does not cover damages at all. That would be the point of purchasing insurance.

3. Good choice. You can file a claim yourself.

4. The seller marking it as a gift with a $40 price tag puts HIM at risk, and helps you. If he tried going after the post office for damage, he could only claim back what he valued it as, where you have the option of filing a paypal claim for what you paid. And as for the value, it prevented you from being charged customs. Again, this is his risk, not yours.

5. He didn't say that at all. He says you were accepting a risk during shipping. This is debatable, but I think blame goes both ways here. He could have packed the bubble more securely, but most people do not pack recards with as much care as a factory sealed figure, simply because the value is not the same. On the flip side, if you knew a crack already existed, you could have asked him to make sure he secured the bubble for shipping, although I will say again I don't understand the issue when it was going to be opened anyway.

6. You haven't given him many options. You are demanding a full refund, while not indicating if you'd even send it back to him. Perhaps he'd be more willing to come to a resolution if you ask for a partial refund, and not 100%.

Don't get me wrong. I do empathize with your situation. It sucks when something arrives and it's different than what was purchased. However, in this case, being a recard that you have made clear you were going to open leads me to believe your making a far bigger deal out of this than necessary. If all you wanted out of this was the gun, were you aware beforehand it was damaged? Seems strange to me that's the piece you wanted, it's damaged, but your complaint is about the bubble. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it's giving the impression that you feel you will not be able to sell on the unwanted parts of this purchase for as much as you initially thought, and are now having second thoughts about buying it in the first place.

Ian

Reaction score
I think he is not fair. I have very carefully explained and displayed the item condition, I setup a Picasa stream with many detailed pictures (the first 4 are actually my pictures) and I gave a very honest description as it was a recard with cracked blister (which was also reflected in the low price). Also from even what he quoted of our emails, it is clear why I think the damage in post is not my liability. He did not request insurance of any value as an extra to the shipping. He also did not provide any instructions for the packaging or on how he would like the bubble to be protected. Also the other figure which was a MOC vader (because it was a bundle deal, which he does not mention), which is blinded out was delivered safe and sound. The cards were individually packed in a waterproof plastic layer and some packaging material was next to the blisters with plenty of outer packaging material than a bulletproof box. With a cracked bubble unless you scotch tape it all around it can happen that the figure goes through, please see the examples in the conversation.

I will not start a counterthread to blame, but naturally I will not want any more business with him either.

Andras

Reaction score
This one is tough, but I have some questions and comments.
1. Ok, so it was recarded, and you had every intention of opening it up again to take the weapon. Because of this, I do not see why such a big deal is being made of the figure coming out of the bubble during shipping, since that's what you were going to do to it anyway.
The figure coming out of the bubble isn't an issue. Let me example...
1) The bubble had a crack on the right hand side prior to shipping
2) During shipping the figure burst though the top of the bubble.
3) The bubble now has the original crack in the side and a BIGGER crack in the top of the bubble (so two cracks in total)
5. He didn't say that at all. He says you were accepting a risk during shipping. This is debatable, but I think blame goes both ways here. He could have packed the bubble more securely, but most people do not pack recards with as much care as a factory sealed figure, simply because the value is not the same. On the flip side, if you knew a crack already existed, you could have asked him to make sure he secured the bubble for shipping, although I will say again I don't understand the issue when it was going to be opened anyway.
See above, the componets are all original includig the bubble, which has received further damage due to poor protection during shipping.
6. You haven't given him many options. You are demanding a full refund, while not indicating if you'd even send it back to him. Perhaps he'd be more willing to come to a resolution if you ask for a partial refund, and not 100%.
Fair comment, now he's see this thread i'm email him and see if he wishes to offer a part refund.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think he is not fair. I have very carefully explained and displayed the item condition, I setup a Picasa stream with many detailed pictures (the first 4 are actually my pictures) and I gave a very honest description as it was a recard with cracked blister.

I have never denied this, the crack in the side of the bubble is fairly minor compared to the second (larger) crack which the bubble suffered during shipping.

The cards were individually packed in a waterproof plastic layer and some packaging material was next to the blisters with plenty of outer packaging material than a bulletproof box.

People can quiet clearly see the "waterproof plastic layer" in my photo or do you mean the plastic sleeve which people normally use to protect A4 pieces of paperwork. These really aren't suitable for protecting bubbles are they?
Plenty of outer packaging, you mean the few shreads of cut-out recycled jiffy bags, the contents of the box were loose to rattle around.

I will not start a counterthread to blame, but naturally I will not want any more business with him either.

A counter thread, are you kidding me?, maybe this wake up call will teach you to pack items more carefully and teach us dumb buyers to not expect the seller to have the common sense to be able to correctly pack an item. As for future business don't worry I want be back.

I just for the record Andras, remember that loose vader you sold me not so long ago where you didn't disclose the damaged cape? Well that's another story for another day.....

Last edited:
Reaction score
hey,

yes- the damage is not too dramatic due to the bad condition it was when it was shipped
yes- the package was too bad-definately

Its an easy thing to cut a strip of cardboard with the height of the bubble, bend it and 'wrap' it around the 4 blisters edges.Add some tissue paper between the bubble edges and the cadboard and fix the two edges of the cardboard strip with scothc tape. Thats it. I have sent badly cracked moc Uzays like this and nothing happened becaue the figure literally cannot burst out.

So my suggestion would be to offer sth like 30 usd to the buyer as a compensation. If the seller thinks its still worth the moeny he may consider taking it back and reselling it.

Just my 2 cents....

Mike

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well I ask the question....

"Are you prepared to offer a partial refund for the extra damage to the BS bubble from shipping?"

and I've been told...

"No, As explained. This is was part of a bundle deal, sorry I would not like to discuss further. You blamed me enough on RS"

Reaction score
Also from even what he quoted of our emails, it is clear why I think the damage in post is not my liability. He did not request insurance of any value as an extra to the shipping. He also did not provide any instructions for the packaging or on how he would like the bubble to be protected.

Since when do buyers need to instruct a seller on how to properly ship and package a vintage item? It's common sense.

Reaction score
It's not a recard as it fake or repro.

Its an Hungarian bootleg with original card and bubble. These are only stapled together in the first place (at the factory) then at some point this moc was taken apart and re-assembled back together again.

Reaction score
i can't say i know anything about bootleg figures. my question is if the bootleg moc is broken apart anyway is the bubble worth anything? for a regular moc i would say no its not but maybe its different for bootleg figures.

Reaction score
now you come with the previous deal? oh come on...

If you want to file a claim, do so at PayPal, and stop blaming me here.

I have reported this thread to site administration of RS.

Reaction score
To be honest the packaging was poor. The bubble wasn't supported in any way. The fact that the seller knows that AFA'd figures can burst through a bubble should have been enough information for him to know that so send a bubble unsupported is wrong and should be avoided. He didn't support it and thus is at fault for the new crack. The item was resealed, not recarded (the later is were a new part: bubble or card is added). This does not take away the responsibility of the seller to make sure the item arrives in the condition it was sold it. Neither does the 'low' value. Yes, the damage is questionable compared to the nature of the item (seeing it was already cracked), but it is still there and it will affect the resale value. Also the fact that the buyer wanted to open it doesn't take any responsibility away from the seller. Neither would opening it by the buyer have caused this damage.

So, (1) the item was send in the condition it was advertised (no one disputes that), (2) the bubble wasn't supported, (3) damaged occured to one of the item (4) due of the lack of bubblesupport. Hence...the seller is at fault.

Seeing the seller was a collector and knew about AFA-problems in sending he should have know how to send the item. Although the buyer could have checked with the seller, looking at the previous two points should he have? No, not to my opinion. When one owns such an item as a collector/seller, the buyer would probably think; "he has a fragile item in his collection, he's a fellow collector so should know condition is key and shipping it safely is a must".

Some support wouldn't have been that difficult. Wrap a piece of paper around the bubble and tape that around (ofcourse just tape on the piece of paper). Atleast then you have a 'ribbon' surrounding the bubble and the figure 'can't' burst through the sides. Cracks can't be avoided due to the nature of the bubbles, but big ones can. It's the simplest sollution and there are more...so would that have been too much trouble? And to get back at the AFA item: those can't be protected in the case and that's one of the big drawbacks of AFA-cased items. This item, on the other hand could have been given the support.

Insurrance couldn't have helped here because the postaloffice would simply have said that they don't cover when packaging is poor. The fact that the two had a previous 'bad' encounter in a deal would have been a redflag for me as a buyer though, but that doesn't take anything away of my previous points. A small refund should have been asked if it was a problem for the buyer (which is was) or should have been offered by the seller.

now you come with the previous deal? oh come on...

If you want to file a claim, do so at PayPal, and stop blaming me here.

I have reported this thread to site administration of RS.
You are to blame, 'cause you didn't protect the item enough. The fact that another item wasn't affected doesn't take that away. There is/was no need to report this thread and I hope it stays open (or atleast available).

My 2 cents.

-Alex

Last edited:
Reaction score
Guys,

Listening to all the different opinions and to demonstrate good will I took your advice and refunded 30USD to the seller.

Andras

Reaction score
I'm happy to report that myself and Andras have come to an agreement over a partial refund.

It was unfortunate that we had air our dirty laundry in public and I would like to say I hold no grudge towards the seller.

So thank you to all those you got involved and please lock this thread.

Reaction score
hope to see thing resolved soon . wish you both the best

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.