Jar Jar Binks - MH13

Joined
Sep 5, 2009
Messages
113
Reaction score
0
Re: Jar Jar Binks - VC**

bigbarada said:
I don't need to convince myself that TPM is the greatest movie of all time in order to enjoy watching it. There are many movies that are technically very badly made, but I can still sit through them and enjoy them once in a while. It's the same with TPM. I never said it was a perfect movie or even a great movie. It's simply enjoyable and the best movie of a poorly written trilogy.

ROTS had the potential to be the best film of the trilogy and it came close except for a few fatal flaws (mostly Hayden Christensen's ineptitude in such a heavy role). If Hayden had been a better actor and George a better writer/director, then maybe the movie would not have failed on so many levels.

Jar Jar is a minor annoyance compared to all the other problems plaguing the prequels. And it's really a shame that George caved in to the fan pressure about Jar Jar, because it was clear from watching TPM that the character was to play a much larger role in the rest of the trilogy. Instead of trying to redeem the character, Lucas shoved him in the background, making all of that time spent suffering through his over-the-top antics in Ep1 a total waste of time.
Problem is, by the time George started making the prequels he was basically one of the richest men in the world, and not the young unknown maverick filmmaker who changed the world with his vision.

This time around he was surrounded by "yes" men who just did whatever he asked. No one challenged his work, no one questioned his decisions. Film making is a very collaborative process and a lot of great art comes from adversity. But with the prequels, whatever George wanted to do, he did. No one argued with him. And from that came the train wreck that we know as the prequels.

Sorry to go off like that, but I'm still mad about having to watch Hyden at the end of RTOJ now.

(This guy takes it to a whole new level: Episode 1 Review
 
Joined
Jul 7, 2008
Messages
884
Reaction score
0
Re: Jar Jar Binks - VC**

I agree there was no need to start Episode 1 when Anakin was a child. The opening crawl was the proper place for this, especially since the SW movies are like the old serials where you start in the middle of the action.

That said, TPM is a fun movie if you aren't expecting it to be the same style as the OT.

Jar Jar is a muchneeded update. I'd also like to see updates of Tatooine Padme, Theed Battle Padme, C-3PO and Ric Olie.
 
Joined
Sep 2, 2001
Messages
2,655
Reaction score
0
Re: Jar Jar Binks - VC**

Seeing that this thread would devolve into a "let's argue/slam the quality of the PT" discussion was more predictable than Brett Favre returning.

Who knew a yet-to-be-produced 4-inch piece of plastic could conjur such strong feelings from people.
 
Joined
Nov 25, 2003
Messages
8,432
Reaction score
0
Re: Jar Jar Binks - VC**

royalguard96 said:
Seeing that this thread would devolve into a "let's argue/slam the quality of the PT" discussion was more predictable than Brett Favre returning.

Who knew a yet-to-be-produced 4-inch piece of plastic could conjur such strong feelings from people.
The makers of Astro Glide (TM) had an inkling.
 
Joined
Aug 16, 2010
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Re: Jar Jar Binks - VC**

I do my friend one of the funniest characters in star wars and I think it does need an upgrade especially with jamed packed articulation that would be fantastic also they are lacking TPM figures and they need to start back up again = D " I love star wars look it up all six movies will be on google images web and lots more this isnt for just marty this is for everyone".
 
Joined
Jan 27, 2001
Messages
7,863
Reaction score
0
Re: Jar Jar Binks - VC**

Jar Jar in the Vintage line? Oh, I'll be buying two for sure! That's brilliant news!
 
Joined
Jul 16, 2010
Messages
192
Reaction score
0
Re: Jar Jar Binks - VC**

If any character needs to be able to pull off really weird poses, it's Jar Jar.
 
Joined
Jun 15, 2000
Messages
2,120
Reaction score
0
Re: Jar Jar Binks - VC**

Maybe Hasbro has shied away from jar Jar because of alot of the talk going on here that has gone on elsewhere for a while. They feel he will not be a seller because some people hate him and pop culture has tagged him as the reason the PT isn't as good as the OT. They felt the same thing about ewoks because a vocal minority didn't want to admit they loved them as kids because it wasn't "cool" when they got older. Maybe someday people will be clamoring for Jar Jar like they are finally for ewoks.

For the Jar Jar lovers, I hope you get the figure you want like we've finally gotten a bunch of great ewoks. And he is a no brainer for a TPM wave for vintage packaging. Him, Qui Gon, Maul, OB1, Anain, Padme, Battle Droids and probably even Sebulba.

Personally, I'd like to see some Naboo soldiers and pilots updated before I ever see another PT OB1....
 
Joined
Sep 22, 2008
Messages
7,398
Reaction score
0
Re: Jar Jar Binks - VC**

^^
Very nice level headed post. I'd say you're on the wrong forum.
 
Joined
Aug 23, 2004
Messages
18,083
Reaction score
0
Re: Jar Jar Binks - VC**

Jar Jar on a vintage card is pretty grotesque. I hope he has his tongue between the pod engines on the cardback. If it's at least humorous I'll buy it.
 
Joined
Nov 4, 2006
Messages
6,155
Reaction score
0
Re: Jar Jar Binks - VC**

SA Jar Jar would actually be really worth it for Hasbro to give the TAC Commander Gree wrist articulation to.
 
Joined
Aug 4, 2007
Messages
620
Reaction score
0
Re: Jar Jar Binks - VC**

bigbarada said:
Leadingman said:
(This guy takes it to a whole new level: Episode 1 Review


I love those reviews and he makes lots of really excellent points. Can't wait for his review of ROTS.
I know, these reviews are hilarious! There are some things about the PT that I like, and most of them are design related. Basically everything story wise in the PT is flawed. I agree with the idea that Lucas just did whatever he damn well pleased thinking that if it looked good on screen nobody would care if it made sense or not. Everyone involved in making these movies just did whatever Lucas wanted and look at the end result. The PT had such potential storywise but it just ends up disappointing me everytime I watch them.

Also, I think there is some merit to the idea that Jar Jar was to be more instrumental in the plot of the PT. If he wasn't so overdone and obnoxious in TPM maybe his inclusion in the story would've made more sense.

Oh, and put me down for a Jar Jar. Or two. How's that for a contradiction?
 
Joined
Oct 27, 2001
Messages
11,277
Reaction score
3
Re: Jar Jar Binks - VC**

as one of the (seemingly few) adults who grew up with the OT, but still loves the prequels, I absolutely cannot wait to see a JarJar figure on a vintage card. In fact, he is one of the ones I most wanted on this card out of the prequel figures.

I honestly still don't understand the vitriol aimed at the prequels, but to each their own. I can love Gungans in the same way that I love Jawas and Bith. If you don't, that's your thing. If I do, that's mine. Star Wars is large enough for many disagreements, but I'm not the only one that loves both trilogies. So many that grew up with the OT think that *all* of us are as bitter and exclusive as they are. Sorry. When I saw TPM in the theatre, it really took me back to when I first saw ANH. I didn't have a problem with Ewoks when I was a teen, and I didn't have a problem with jarJar as an adult. Maybe I am simple-minded, but I can allow for some bumbling humor and some cuteness in my sci-fi, thank you very much.
 
Joined
Jul 16, 2010
Messages
192
Reaction score
0
Re: Jar Jar Binks - VC**

I suspect some of the prequel hate may be that they are fundamentally more depressing plotlines. I mean, in the OT, at the end all of the good guys are happy, all of the bad guys are dead, hooray! The PT? Anakin's just killed or betrayed everyone he's ever cared about and helped establish a totalitarian dictatorship. Not very uplifting.
 
Joined
Oct 10, 2006
Messages
1,927
Reaction score
0
Re: Jar Jar Binks - VC**

New Jar Jar figure? Much needed. I hope they use that pic of him giving the thumbs up for the vintage card. He needs to be super articulated more than anyone else. I'm really surprised there hasn't been one on the pegs since 2002 (not counting the CW one, that guy was nonexistent in my parts, I mean a movie style Jar Jar).

I also STILL don't understand the hate...he was there for the kids, remember? Ep.1 was SUPPOSED to attract a new generation of SW fans, not cater to us jaded 20-30somethings. Whether the inclusion of Jar Jar made little kids into new SW fans or homicidal is debatable, though.
 
Joined
Mar 28, 2007
Messages
241
Reaction score
0
Re: Jar Jar Binks - VC**

I'm glad we're getting a updated Jar Jar. He is one of the few characters for a seriously needed update. Hopefully he'll be part of a new Naboo wave along with a new Theed Battle Amidala, Panaka and maybe some guards.
 
Joined
May 20, 2010
Messages
284
Reaction score
0
Re: Jar Jar Binks - VC**

monstermonkey said:
New Jar Jar figure? Much needed. I hope they use that pic of him giving the thumbs up for the vintage card. He needs to be super articulated more than anyone else. I'm really surprised there hasn't been one on the pegs since 2002 (not counting the CW one, that guy was nonexistent in my parts, I mean a movie style Jar Jar).

I also STILL don't understand the hate...he was there for the kids, remember? Ep.1 was SUPPOSED to attract a new generation of SW fans, not cater to us jaded 20-30somethings. Whether the inclusion of Jar Jar made little kids into new SW fans or homicidal is debatable, though.
I don't know, as a kid I loved Han Solo, Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, Boba Fett, etc. I think it's a bit condescending to think kids need an infantile, clownish character to be entertained. Which kids liked him? 2-year-olds? Maybe you can't make a movie that will appeal to everyone.

I don't begrudge anyone their Jar Jar figure, I wont be getting it, but then again I don't collect PT figures, with rare exceptions. I will have my hands full with all the great OT figures that are coming out, these PT waves give me an opportunity to save some money.
I can't wait for a Theed battle or Tatooine Padme, though.
 
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
325
Reaction score
0
Re: Jar Jar Binks - VC**

Jar Jar Binks on a Vintage Card back great!!! I'll be getting two. As for this hatred of TPM I really don't get it, the only thing wrong with TPM is that people went to see it wearing rose tinted OT glasses and way to high expectations instead of going with an open mind. TPM was what George always intended it to be The Beginning, the foundation, the getting to know everyone movie.
 
Joined
Feb 22, 2009
Messages
1,353
Reaction score
0
Re: Jar Jar Binks - VC**

Jon_Dowe_Nunk02 said:
The only thing wrong with TPM is that people went to see it wearing rose tinted OT glasses and way to high expectations instead of going with an open mind. TPM was what George always intended it to be The Beginning, the foundation, the getting to know everyone movie.
Speak for yourself. I've grown up with the prequels and I still think they're garbage. Most other kids only like them for their flashy effects. That's really all they have to offer (aside from ROTS, of course. That movie, while far from perfect, still had a strong story, interesting characters, etc.)
 
Joined
Jan 10, 2010
Messages
1,709
Reaction score
0
Re: Jar Jar Binks - VC**

AdmiralScreed said:
Jon_Dowe_Nunk02 said:
The only thing wrong with TPM is that people went to see it wearing rose tinted OT glasses and way to high expectations instead of going with an open mind. TPM was what George always intended it to be The Beginning, the foundation, the getting to know everyone movie.
Speak for yourself. I've grown up with the prequels and I still think they're garbage. Most other kids only like them for their flashy effects. That's really all they have to offer (aside from ROTS, of course. That movie, while far from perfect, still had a strong story, interesting characters, etc.)
Hey! Saying that kids only liked the prequels for the flashy effects is not fair. I loved AOTC because of the whole "mystery" aspect. Of course, I was 5 and I didn't see the movie at that age, just the promos, so...

Now, ROTS was good.
 
Joined
Oct 31, 2006
Messages
5,552
Reaction score
0
Re: Jar Jar Binks - VC**

TPM was great for showing us all the cool things you could do with a lightsaber and the force if you were young enough to remember how to do those nifty tricks.
 
Joined
May 9, 2005
Messages
30,709
Reaction score
28
Re: Jar Jar Binks - VC**

Don't forget Panaka, after a new Jar Jar we only need him and a new Bibble figure to complet TPM resculpts. Then we have to get totally new figures like Naboo Pilots and Soldiers.
 
Joined
Nov 4, 2006
Messages
6,155
Reaction score
0
Re: Jar Jar Binks - VC**

Masterfett said:
Don't forget Panaka, after a new Jar Jar we only need him and a new Bibble figure to complet TPM resculpts. Then we have to get totally new figures like Naboo Pilots and Soldiers.
I'd contend Theed and Tatooine Padme are in need of total resculpts.
 
Joined
Mar 28, 2007
Messages
241
Reaction score
0
Re: Jar Jar Binks - VC**

LordStarscream said:
Masterfett said:
Don't forget Panaka, after a new Jar Jar we only need him and a new Bibble figure to complet TPM resculpts. Then we have to get totally new figures like Naboo Pilots and Soldiers.
I'd contend Theed and Tatooine Padme are in need of total resculpts.
Lets keep our fingers crossed and hope that those might be included in the wave.
 
Joined
Oct 27, 2009
Messages
246
Reaction score
0
Re: Jar Jar Binks - VC**

is looking forward to a NEW SA jar jar binks!!!
i STILL dont get the hate for this character,but hey,im just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe.
 
Joined
Apr 14, 2009
Messages
271
Reaction score
0
Re: Jar Jar Binks - VC**

Jon_Dowe_Nunk02 said:
Jar Jar Binks on a Vintage Card back great!!! I'll be getting two. As for this hatred of TPM I really don't get it, the only thing wrong with TPM is that people went to see it wearing rose tinted OT glasses and way to high expectations instead of going with an open mind. TPM was what George always intended it to be The Beginning, the foundation, the getting to know everyone movie.
Its a bad movie. No reason you can't enjoy bad movies (I, for one, have a secret love for a few of the horrible movies from MST3K), but it is a bad movie. AotC is a worse movie, of course
 
Joined
Nov 25, 2003
Messages
8,432
Reaction score
0
Re: Jar Jar Binks - VC**

And this thread is a testament to how religious schisms happen.
 
Joined
May 20, 2010
Messages
284
Reaction score
0
Re: Jar Jar Binks - VC**

Mecheon said:
Jon_Dowe_Nunk02 said:
Jar Jar Binks on a Vintage Card back great!!! I'll be getting two. As for this hatred of TPM I really don't get it, the only thing wrong with TPM is that people went to see it wearing rose tinted OT glasses and way to high expectations instead of going with an open mind. TPM was what George always intended it to be The Beginning, the foundation, the getting to know everyone movie.
Its a bad movie. No reason you can't enjoy bad movies (I, for one, have a secret love for a few of the horrible movies from MST3K), but it is a bad movie. AotC is a worse movie, of course
RotS isn't very good either. I think the Anakin / Obi Wan battle in that ridiculous lava planet is the worst scene in any Star Wars movie. It's like they forgot a lava planet might be actually hot, and the air might be composed of toxic gasses. They just jump around and breathe the air like it's nothing.
 
Joined
Jul 7, 2008
Messages
884
Reaction score
0
Re: Jar Jar Binks - VC**

The 09 Gungan Warrior update was an excellent figure so this figure should be a good update as well. But Hasbro should include Jar Jar's skin pattern that they skipped on the Gungan Warrior.
 
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
10,109
Reaction score
0
Re: Jar Jar Binks - VC**

LordStarscream said:
Masterfett said:
Don't forget Panaka, after a new Jar Jar we only need him and a new Bibble figure to complet TPM resculpts. Then we have to get totally new figures like Naboo Pilots and Soldiers.
I'd contend Theed and Tatooine Padme are in need of total resculpts.
Y'all have scratched the surface on needed resculpts from the 1999-2000 TPM line - but there are several more beyond the ones already mentioned:

Anakin Skywalker - while Hasbro isn't high on the idea (based on a Q&A response from this year), at some point, it would be nice to see an updated Anakin, just one Tatooine release with all the accessories so that you can portray him in the various scenes through the film. Not so much needed for articulation (for me), but detail and scale to the rest of the line.

C-3P0 - at some point, it would be nice to see this updated as well - again for scale.

Panaka - already mentioned, lends itself to a generic security officer with multiple head sculpts.

Valorum - silly over-scale, and could be made with a softgoods robe, so that you could have him in both the senate scenes, and then also in the landing platform scenes, where he doesn't have the outer robe on.

Naboo Guard - mentioned above as all new - that's a needed re-do on the 2000 release (that was very limited, BTW).

Naboo Security (Enlisted) - also not all new, the late 1999 figure needs an update.

Tatooine Padme - WOW, nowhere close to the current standard, and one of the outfits that she wears the longest in the film.

Theed Battle Padme - outside of the last "all new Padme" this one is the most needed, as it was her primary action outfit, and both of the existing releases are horrible compared to the current standard.

Ric Olie - Yes, the pilots were mentioned as being needed, but Ric was one of the pilots, so if they do a more generic pilot, they need to do a specific release for Ric.

Senator Palpatine - compare that figure to the later Palpatine releases - it's almost laughable. One of the few figures from the E1 line where there's a direct line to later releases in the Saga and later lines where if you want to show a line-up of Palpatine from senator to chancellor to emperor, this one DOES NOT fit.

Some will argue for Sio Bibble (which doesn't fit, but is so minor to me, I can stick him in the back and not worry about it).

The Neimodians are also on the border - the scale thing doesn't matter as much for those, as they're much taller than the rest of the characters, and the detail on those was decent for the day. I'd much rather see some of the AOTC and ROTS Neimodians done first, and then come back to these once those are done.

So there are quite a few gaps left from the Episode I line, Jar Jar is a GREAT start, let's hope they cover all of these over the next few years.

'78
 
Joined
Feb 21, 2003
Messages
4,156
Reaction score
0
Re: Jar Jar Binks - VC**

The end of the EI line really had some very nice figures even though they did lack articulation. I'm one of the few Gungan fans, so I look forward to Jar Jar. Of the other EI figures, the Palace Guards would probably be highest on my list because 1) I think they are cool, and 2) they were done in such a 'posed' position. After them, battle Padme. While I would not mind the others being done at all, I'm pretty happy with the EI figures I have.

Of coarse, as I have said for years, new SA Battle Droids would trump them all....
 
Joined
Feb 9, 2006
Messages
1,652
Reaction score
0
Re: Jar Jar Binks - VC**

Great list '78, but I also reeeeeally want a Padawan Ani. In fact I'd want a good update of him as much (if not more) than the standard Ani.
 
Joined
Jun 3, 2005
Messages
5,403
Reaction score
0
Re: Jar Jar Binks - VC**

I don't really care what type of cardback he's on, he most certainly is in desperate, long overdue need for an update. It's tough to argue that point no matter whether one personally likes the character or not.
 
Joined
Feb 6, 2010
Messages
959
Reaction score
0
Re: Jar Jar Binks - VC**

I can't wait for him!!!

Lucas shouldn't have basically dumped him from the prequels after a group of people said he was crap.
 
Joined
Feb 9, 2006
Messages
1,652
Reaction score
0
Re: Jar Jar Binks - VC**

JediClones said:
I can't wait for him!!!

Lucas shouldn't have basically dumped him from the prequels after a group of people said he was crap.
I'm glad he didn't appear much in II and III just because they didn't change his character. I kinda wish they would've had him grow up a little. I think it woulda been cool to have him display some wisdom he'd learned over the years of being a delagate(sp?) instead of just being used as a pawn for the birth of the Empire. Just a thought.
 
Joined
Dec 8, 2006
Messages
173
Reaction score
0
Re: Jar Jar Binks - VC**

NemesisOnline said:
RotS isn't very good either. I think the Anakin / Obi Wan battle in that ridiculous lava planet is the worst scene in any Star Wars movie. It's like they forgot a lava planet might be actually hot, and the air might be composed of toxic gasses. They just jump around and breathe the air like it's nothing.
Um.

You saw The Empire Strikes Back, right? The movie where people wander around (what they think is) an "asteroid cave" open to deep-space vacuum without pressurized suits, then nearly get eaten by an enormous space slug that couldn't possibly survive in those conditions? And then everybody heads to a freaking gas giant with normal gravity and a breathable atmosphere, and one of them is encased in molten metal and survives?

Yeah, that was a terrible movie too, wasn't it?

There are plentiful reasons to dislike the prequels. "Fantasy movie has fantastic situations" is not one of those.
 
Top